DAFC.net
Home 17 February 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Scotland to Ban Heading in U-12 Football
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 09:39

Scotland is set to follow the USA's example and ban heading for U-12s in training.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51132004

Long overdue in the light of scientific evidence, or another example of Scotland being a nanny state - we know what's best for you?

Some will feel it doesn't go far enough, but is it the beginning of the end of football as we know it?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Scotland to Ban Heading in U-12 Football
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 09:58

Completey ridiculous tbh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 10:04

headline is a bit sensationalist (when are they not). Reality is they would look to use sponge balls for technique training rather than an actual ball. Not suddenly going to get 101 free kicks a game when a player heads a ball that the SFA has then banned.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 10:17

Agree 100%. Watching 100s of young kids down at Pitreavie trying to head a ball every weekend sends shivers down my spine. They dont have the technique, neck muscles or co-ordination to do it properly. 90% of headers at that age end up with the kid in agony or a burst nose.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 10:41

I believe that the balls used in the game now are the same weight as the balls used in the time when the balls were made of leather. The difference occurs when the ball gets wet, this made the ball heavier and more dangerous to head. The worst part being the laces.
When I played if I headed the laces it was painful and felt like I had been punched!
Perhaps that is part of the cause of recent deaths. We had lighter plastic balls when we had a kick about with mates. I think that these were called Wembley and were available in different weights. The youth of today should use something like them. Not regulation weighted balls.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 11:01

Correct given the studies that have been done, also might actually get Scottish players playing the ball on the ground for a change!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 11:18

hope they are making some significant investment into pitches that allow the ball to be played on the ground and not some of the local examples of divot strewn parks that are lucky to see a mower every 6 weeks and even when they do are left covered in cut grass that the ball just stops in.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 12:52

When I coached pre-teens a few years back, I was dead against kids heading the ball and promoted non-heading at practice and during games.

Other coaches were less concerned and this, together with an argument about not playing competitively at that age, meant I left the coaching team shortly after.

Alongside with a couple of other parents, I made it clear that under no circumstances were my boys to header a ball. It was no surprise when the cut was made, the boys who didn't header were dropped.

Whilst it was gutting at the time for the boys, I am so glad I held firm.

As much as I appreciate heading is part and parcel of the game, I can only think of a few sports where you deliberately take a knock to the head. Just look at boxing and we can see the results.

I still maintain that kids should not be heading the ball - which emphasises keeping the ball on the deck - and be allowed to make mistakes.

Unfortunately, most coaches see themselves as a Pepe or Jose must win at all costs.
They can't seem to see that competition means players are put in set positions - cos that's what they are good at.

You end up with players with a bit of skill playing on the wing and not developing their weaker foot. Boys who can smack a ball up front to ping it past goalkeepers who aren't even half the height of an upright. Tall boys playing centre half. Boys getting stroppy because it's not their duting to go back and help the defence when the ball is lost.

Teams play to win and get rid of the ball instead of trying things without fear of what happens.

Yep - for me, if Scotland as a nation want to develop, we need drop the must win at all costs mentality, drop heading and scores. Probaly most importantly, get players to play all positions (including GK and vice versa) during the formative years.

Rant over.

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 13:18

No heading and VAR are the future . There won’t be any foreign players because of Brexit . No singing allowed at games either incase someone gets offended. RIP fitba
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 13:18

Do Underage players not use size 4 footballs?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 13:24

This is just a token effort to get banning in, U12 football doesn’t have heading in it. They are playing 9v9 on a small 7’s pitch, the result is the ball rarely is played in the air. In the previous 5 years of watching my sons games, I have seen 2 goals scored from headers!
He has now moved on this year to 11’s were the ball is played in the air a lot more and the boys are developing physically almost weekly. I am glad he did learn to header the ball in previous years, with the smaller size otherwise he would suddenly at 13 be expected to deal with a ball for the first time that can be hit with great power.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 18:06

Quote:

Pars Kebab, Thu 16 Jan 13:18

No heading and VAR are the future . There won’t be any foreign players because of Brexit . No singing allowed at games either incase someone gets offended. RIP fitba

You're needing to get a new crystal ball, PK. 😃

I'm not surprised that opinions are split among those who have posted on this thread.

On the one hand, you have the traditionalists like Kebab, who believe we're on a slippery slope, leading to the emasculation of the Beautiful Game, with heading banned at every level in the not too distant future. On the other, we have those who say we must listen to the medics who have carried out significant scientic research into the effects of repeated heading of a football and have established beyond reasonable doubt, that there is a demonstrable link with dementia.

While I don't doubt these scientific findings for a minute, I'm not sure that a blanket ban on heading should ever be enforced. (The evidence for the damage done by smoking is irrefutable, but there has never been any suggestion that cigarettes/tobacco should be banned.) The case for phasing heading out of children's football is compelling - their brains are still developing and are far more vulnerable than those of adults. Besides, adult footballers are old enough to make up their own minds as to whether they are prepared to the risk, in the same way as smokers.

Eta. Perhaps an alternative strategy, as Eastendalloapar alluded further up, would be for manufacturers to develop a lighter ball for children's football, which would allow them to develop their heading skills in relative safety.

Post Edited (Sat 18 Jan 16:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 19:12

My 7 year old plays football so it’s a concern to me. Not that I thought about it much as a kid when I played. From what I can make of it, they will not practice headers during training. kids in my sons age group all corners & set pieces are played across the ground. Goalies roll the ball out rather than kick it. Using a foam ball could be a way for them to practice safely. I think they are looking into that for the age 12+ kids. Practicing headers in training week after week for kids football seem a bit of a waste. So many other area’s of the game they can practice.

I much prefer the ball to played on the deck. It’s infuriating when you get players heading the ball from player to player after a goal kick rather than getting the ball under control & getting it on the deck.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Thu 16 Jan 19:41

GG Riva I think your headline should say in training.
I took a team that played from fun 4’s to 9 a side at Pitreavie and it was only really in the 9 a side when players started to try and head the ball when they could take a corner and get it in the box😅.
I never coached heading in a training as it was mostly ball work and movement.
However I did spend time coaching my son on how to header a ball properly but he still doesn’t do it during a game.
It’s a good idea until they start playing 11’s on a bigger pitch etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 00:57

DulochConvert - Your son must be a year older than mine. He goes to 11s after the summer.
If they were playing 9v9 they should have been playing games on 9's pitches, not 7's pitches.

My sons team don't practice heading in training but if it's there to be headed are not discouraged from it.

I actually don't believe that its the heading of the ball that is the problem.
Throughout a players career they will suffer a few clash of heads and I think that is where the damage is being done.
There's a lot of give in a football, not so much on someone else's head. Even a mild concussion from a clash of heads will increase the risk of developing dementia. I really can't see heading a ball being the cause.
Obviously most head clashes are when two players go to head the ball at the same time, so ultimately heading is the cause.

Post Edited (Fri 17 Jan 00:59)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 06:44

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Fri 17 Jan 00:57

DulochConvert - Your son must be a year older than mine. He goes to 11s after the summer.
If they were playing 9v9 they should have been playing games on 9's pitches, not 7's pitches.

My sons team don't practice heading in training but if it's there to be headed are not discouraged from it.

Throughout a players career they will suffer a few clash of heads and I think that is where the damage is being done.
There's a lot of give in a football, not so much on someone else's head. Even a mild concussion from a clash of heads will increase the risk of developing dementia. I really can't see heading a ball being the cause.
Obviously most head clashes are when two players go to head the ball at the same time, so ultimately heading is the cause.

A few big assumptions there. Unless you're a qualified health professional.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 06:58

''GG Riva I think your headline should say in training.''

Yes, I could have but I wanted to keep it short and I did explain in the OP that, for the moment, it will only apply in training, but as more research is done, I can see it being extended to actual games and eventually to older children and maybe even adults.....

''I actually don't believe that its the heading of the ball that is the problem.
Throughout a players career they will suffer a few clash of heads and I think that is where the damage is being done.''

I'm quite surprised that you've put your own interpretations on the results of the extensive scientific research that's been carried out, sif. These guys are not politicians or salesmen - they have no axe to grind, so we can safely assume they're not putting any spin on the findings.

I don't doubt for a minute that a clash of heads is a potential cause of brain damage which could lead to early dementia, but that doesn't automatically mean that we can dismiss the effects of heading the ball, especially by children whose brain is still developing.

I suspect that you. like me, would be saddened if these findings eventually lead to a world wide ban on heading the ball in football at every level, including that of the professional elite, but that would be a small price to pay in return for the continuing good health of those who play the game, after they retire from it.

It's perhaps not the best analogy, but I see many parallels with smoking. 100 years ago, doctors used to advise people with respiratory infections to smoke, reasoning that the cough induced would help rid them of the germs which caused it. When doctors and scientists first began to report a connection between smoking and a variety of diseases such as certain types of cancer, chronic bronchitis and COPD, many smokers went into denial and some still are, despite the stark messages on each and every packet of cigs. It's only been since smoking was banned in public spaces, that the message has finally hit home and the number of smokers in this country has halved from the 38% it was at before the ban. Unfortunately, despite everyone's best efforts, smoking among children has not gone down, so it is likely to be around killing people for some considerable time to come.

Back on topic, I don't see the problem in having children's games where heading is outlawed. We could have a rule like 5-a-side where it's a free kick against any player kicking the ball above head height. Keeping the ball low would eliminate big hoofs up the park and increase skill levels such as close control, dribbling and passing as youngsters would be obliged to find other solutions when they are boxed in during a game.

Post Edited (Fri 17 Jan 07:00)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 09:25

Quote:

BigJPar, Fri 17 Jan 06:44

Quote:

A few big assumptions there. Unless you're a qualified health professional.

The report of the study by Glasgow University clearly states they were "unable to establish whether the cause of the higher levels of brain disease was due to repeated concussions, heading leather footballs, or some other factor."

All I am doing is saying I feel that it is from concussions.
When the qualified health professionals can't even determine if the cause is heading the ball or concussions why can I not point this out as a possible cause when everyone else is stating it's heading the ball that is to blame.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 09:47

Quote:

The report of the study by Glasgow University clearly states they were "unable to establish whether the cause of the higher levels of brain disease was due to repeated concussions, heading leather footballs, or some other factor."

All I am doing is saying I feel that it is from concussions.
When the qualified health professionals can't even determine if the cause is heading the ball or concussions why can I not point this out as a possible cause when everyone else is stating it's heading the ball that is to blame.

I don't think anyone is saying that heading the ball is absolutely to blame, but the research suggests there is a link. If I can continue with my smoking analogy, not everyone who suffers from respiratory cancers, chronic bronchitis or COPD is/was necessarily a smoker, but that doesn't mean smoking is harmless.

At the end of the day though, people are free to make their own choices.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 11:21

The research can not determine if the cause is heading the ball.
That is nothing like the research "suggesting" heading is the cause.
Equally the research does not suggest concussion is the cause.
However research into American football and dementia have categorically proven a link between concussions and dementia.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 11:51

''The report suggested players could be three and a half times more likely to die of dementia.''

Until more research is done, I'd go with that for my kids. Fortunately, I don't have a decision to make it as my children are adults. Football is a game. It's not more important than life and death.

I adored Bill Shankly but he was wrong on that one. Not that he was being really serious, deep down, or was he?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 11:56

After living in the US and being able to coach here the last few years both pre and post ban I can say that my training drills have not changed one bit with the U12s and below since the ban came in. It wasnt part of my coaching anyway and also, just my observation... the amount of handballs has decreased as kids are passing more on the ground now. At 12 and below to be honest, in my opinon, kids didnt head the ball anyway....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 14:22

Our defenders are taking no risks if last week is anything to by...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 14:49

Quote:

Mario, Fri 17 Jan 14:22

Our defenders are taking no risks if last week is anything to by...

LoL. Genuine funny

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 20:42

I coach youth soccer in the USA so I know this rule first hand. It was put in place to settle a class action lawsuit so it was not a rule that US Soccer developed on its own.

In our games, at U9 and U10, the GK cannot punt the ball. At U11, they can punt the ball, but players cannot head it. That makes no sense.

We can teach heading starting at U12. I tell my players not to head a punted ball at that age. The punted ball has the most force because of gravity and therefore is most likely to do damage.

Rather than take heading out of the game, I would have taken the punted ball out of the game until U13, when our players start playing 11 v 11. I would allow players to start heading at U11, so they have 2 years to develop the proper technique.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 22:07

Quote:

USMac, Fri 17 Jan 20:42

I coach youth soccer in the USA so I know this rule first hand. It was put in place to settle a class action lawsuit so it was not a rule that US Soccer developed on its own.

In our games, at U9 and U10, the GK cannot punt the ball. At U11, they can punt the ball, but players cannot head it. That makes no sense.

We can teach heading starting at U12. I tell my players not to head a punted ball at that age. The punted ball has the most force because of gravity and therefore is most likely to do damage.

Rather than take heading out of the game, I would have taken the punted ball out of the game until U13, when our players start playing 11 v 11. I would allow players to start heading at U11, so they have 2 years to develop the proper technique.

Agree US Mac

Where about in US are you ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 22:21

Tbh iv watched some u11’s games in the USA and the parents are mental!..... the football is poor aswell.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Jan 07:12

I'm a bit surprised at some of the resistance shown to the findings of the extensive scientific research by the medical profession. These people are not advertisers, trying to sell us a dodgy product like the tobacco companies did (and still do in developing countries.)

I believe that taking a precautionary stance in children's football is a sensible strategy at this time, based on evidence currently available. As more research is done and further evidence is gathered, decisions can be taken to widen or relax the ban, or keep it only for children's football, but the proviso must always be that any decision made is for the protection of those who play the game.

If a complete heading ban ever comes in to football, the game will change significantly, but we'll still have a game. The logical change to make would be that the ball must be played below head height at all times, as in the correct way to play 5 a side football, making for a faster, more skillful game in which the agricultural types would not be able to mask their shortcomings by blootering the ball up the field.

If Michel Platini had realised his ultimate ambition to become head of FIFA, we might have seen the change in our lifetime - he once advocated that tackling should be banned from the game to avoid injury to skillful players by rugged defenders.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Jan 09:20

Nobody is resisting the finding.
If we are then you are just as guilty of resisting the findings as they stated in the report they "could not determine the cause"
I question if you have read the report or are going off what the media are saying.

I agree with the heading ban for kids.
If the problem is through clash of heads as I suspect then that is caused by players trying to head the same ball.
So clearly a heading ban eliminates that as well.
I agree with the report from the study 100% it's just where they say that it can't be determined what the cause is I feel it is more likely to be concussions as in the case of American football than heading the ball.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Jan 16:52

''Nobody is resisting the finding.''

OK, can we say some posters (Grant, Pars Kebab, yourself) are reluctant to accept that the evidence gathered so far suggests there is a link between heading the ball and the early onset of dementia?

''....players could be three and a half times more likely to die of dementia.''

''If we are then you are just as guilty of resisting the findings as they stated in the report they "could not determine the cause"
I question if you have read the report or are going off what the media are saying.''

I sincerely hope this doesn't come across as condescending but the scientists and doctors who have gathered and evaluated this information have had extensive scientific training and are not given to issuing speculative statements. The reason they hedge their bets in the report is because further research is necessary to establish absolute certainty. Had they not believed that there's a very good chance of demonstrating the link, they would not have raised awareness of the dangers at this stage. And yes, I've read the report.

As a wee aside, I taught Chemistry to pupils from S1 to S6 for 37 years. The first thing I always tried to inculcate into my pupils was to think like scientists. Sometimes they'd carry out an experiment and ask if they should write ''No reaction'' in the Observations column. I would instruct them to write ''No VISIBLE reaction'' and ask them to explain the difference.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. I agree that where there are a number of variables it is impossible to state with any certainty that one factor is the cause above any other. You may be right and that some players have contracted dementia as a result of violent head clashes during their careers. Equally though, other factors may be significant. Don't forget that when the ball comes out of the sky after a big hoof up the park will result in a much stronger force on any player heading it, due to its acceleration due to gravity, not to mention those players who throw themselves in front of a piledriver of a shot and connect with their face or head.

''I agree with the heading ban for kids.
If the problem is through clash of heads as I suspect then that is caused by players trying to head the same ball.
So clearly a heading ban eliminates that as well.
I agree with the report from the study 100% it's just where they say that it can't be determined what the cause is I feel it is more likely to be concussions as in the case of American football than heading the ball.''

It makes senses to limit any risk to children at this stage of the research, given that their developing brains are more susceptible to injury through sudden impact forces to the head.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 20:53

Whatever your thoughts are on this topic, it appears that the campaign against heading the ball is gathering momentum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51396744

The more groups/associations head down this route, the more likely it is that heading will eventually be outlawed from football completely. It may be several years away at present, but as more research is completed, it may come in even sooner if the findings establish a definite link between heading and early onset dementia.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 21:40

“Don't forget that when the ball comes out of the sky after a big hoof up the park will result in a much stronger force on any player heading it, due to its acceleration due to gravity”
GG I always thought the force would be the same as the point of kicking (friction excluded). Simple parabola.
The reason the ball has more force is that it was kicked harder up the field than in a corner etc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 00:57

GG
''making for a faster, more skillful game in which the agricultural types would not be able to mask their shortcomings by blootering the ball up the field. ''

One of my favourite Pars players was an agricultural type. His name was Roy Barry. He captained the Pars to what remains only our second ever tournament win. He was probably the greatest captain we have ever had. And Roy Barry challenged for more balls in the air, and won more, than any Pars defender I have ever seen. He was 5’10 but had a terrific spring and obliterated Old Firm strikers whether it be Colin Stein, Joe McBride, Alex Ferguson or Willie Wallace. Barry’s game was based on attacking the ball whether in the air or on the ground; he had to get there first. After 40 years I can still warmly remember his jumping technique, arm locked across the chest of the striker as he bulleted the aerial ball back towards our forwards in a statement of intent.

When I met Roy Barry two years ago he was sharp as a tack and totally dismissive about the concept of heading a ball causing brain damage. If we remove heading the ball then football becomes a 2 dimensional game, removed from the military roots it inhabits and becomes less expansive than chess. It becomes a bourgeois board game nattered over by phrasemongers on Sky or windbags on the Match of the Day.

Surely the most sensible option is to make sure the balls are light enough to header, both for young people and adults.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 02:20

Sammer's comments put me in mind of when I was studying at Southampton and playing for the college team. Our coach gave some unforgettable advice about heading a ball.

His name was Mike Barnard and he had played centre-forward for Portsmouth (as well as being a talented cricketer for Hampshire).

He said that when heading the ball you should remember Newton's Third Law of Motion; To every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, if you attack the ball, you are unlikely to be hurt, as physics dictates that the impact will be negated if you meet the ball with equal force.

Head and neck injuries usually come when you don't do that.

Mind you, I don't know if the same rule applies if you have two trains heading towards each other at 100 mph...

:)

Post Edited (Fri 07 Feb 02:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 03:31

Ozpar,

I am sure there is much common sense wisdom in what you say. Meeting the ball in flight was always a good idea and Roy Barry had mastered that particular art. The ball used to come off his hairline at a tremendous number of knots!

Let's just play with lighter balls. It makes sense I think. But let's not ban heading.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 07:54

I want to be clear that I'm not championing a complete heading ban in the game, but I do recognise that the scientific studies conducted so far suggest that there may be a link to early onset dementia.

It makes sense, therefore, to raise awareness of this possibility, so that those who run and play the game can make an informed judgement as to how they should proceed. It also makes perfect sense, to ban or at least limit, heading in children's football, until more research is completed, since juvenile brains are apparently more vulnerable to damage from sudden impact.

Even if conclusive proof is established, adult footballers may decide that the rewards are worth the risks unless FIFA decree a world wide ban at all levels of the game. When I said that a total ban could lead to a faster, more skilful game, I was trying to look on the bright side. As for Sammer suggesting that Roy Barry was an agricultural footballer, that's tantamount to sacrilege, but I'm sure he was just being deliberately provocative. Roy is far and away the best Pars captain of all time and a magnificent leader and defender. Not for nothing did Coventry manager, Noel Cantwell, describe his new signing as the "Bargain of the Century." Roy was aggressive, but he could play all right. Apart from his phenomenal leaps, he was fast and mobile. Sammer may remember the game v Gwardia Warsaw in which their No. 9 evaded Roy she he slipped in the centre circle and sped through on goal. Roy recovered sufficiently to catch him and put in a perfect tackle from the side, just as the Polish striker was about to pick his spot.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 22:40

Just looking at the current Scotland v England Rugby team, the conditions of there ear damage must have been head damage well beyond anything a modern size 5 ball. Don’t see the banning of rugby
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: