DAFC.net
Home 01 June 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Attending European games. Advice appreciated.
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Sun 19 Jan 19:15

Looking at possibly going to a game on the 11th April.
Son would like to see either, Ajax, Milan, Juve, Roma, Dortmund or a Spanish game. Looking at flying out the sat morning, staying overnight and back the Sunday.
Can anyone with experience of going to these games or making these trips give any advice regards flights, getting tickets etc?
Many thanks

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Attending European games. Advice appreciated.
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Sun 19 Jan 19:56

Depending on the match but you might be able to get tickets direct from the club, otherwise I've used viagogo plenty times and had no issues other than it being at times pricey.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 19 Jan 20:04

If you use skyscanner and search from either Edinburgh or Glasgow and put in "Everywhere" as your destination and the date you're looking to travel, the search engine will give you the cheapest flight by country so you could that to try and identify the cheapest to get to. I don't think Jet2 are on there so you might want to check that separately.

Milan is quite an expensive city so I'd recommend staying at the Sleep Tide Apartments:

https://www.agoda.com/en-gb/sleep-tide-suites/hotel/milan-it.html?cid=-218

It's out of town so it's cheap but its 10 mins on the train to Navigli which is where a lot of folk go for food and drink at the weekend and you can get a bus direct to the San Siro from the San Cristoforo station.

It's not the nicest bit of Milan but it wasnt dodgy and the transport links are good so if you only need the hotel to drop stuff off and sleep you cant really go wrong. Normally plenty of cheap flights too.

I was in Milan for the Man City v Atalanta game and the Italian police were living up to their reputation. Despite the fact there was no aggro around the game they were still battoning people which would make me think twice about going back.

They have Uber in Milan which is cheap but the public transport is a doddle and the CityMapper app has all the info you need to get round the city.

The San Siro itself is simultaneously a magnificent iconic stadium and dilapidated **** hole all in one go. Worth going to see before it is no more but there are better grounds out there.

You'll also need to take your passport for ID as the ticket holder has to be the named purchaser and associated contact. I've never been to a league game in Italy but it was strongly enforced at the Europa League final in Turin and was originally in force at the City game until things went t!ts up and they had to start letting folk in.

I preferred Turin as a City to be honest but I didn't organise that trip so don't have as many of the details to hand.

Lastminute.com have had some really cheap package deals the last couple of times I've done city breaks so worth checking there for your travel.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Sun 19 Jan 20:06

I’ve been to Milan several times to watch Inter and going to see them again in May. Super easy to book tickets via the club - unless its Milan derby or Juventus tickets are not hard to come by at all - Transport links to the stadium are excellent - metro and tram both go right there.

Milan is a wonderful city as well. Plenty to do. Lots of sights to see and foods to try.

Flights are easy as you’ve the choice of 3 airports in Milan. I’ve flown to all 3 and much prefer Malpensa,everything just seems to go a lot quicker there but Bergamo & Linate are both fine.

*EDIT* - just re-read the post, I didn’t clock that you said a date, I just seen April. Milan at home to Juve that day so tickets may be quite difficult. Also, fixtures haven’t been confirmed up until then so might get moved to the Sunday.

We love Dunfermline We do!

Post Edited (Sun 19 Jan 20:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Sun 19 Jan 20:28

For Dortmund there are frequent flights to Dusseldorf from Glasgow. Getting tickets direct from the club is impossible, but they have a travel agent that does a ticket and hotel combo. Expensive but guaranteed ticket.

To be honest, there are loads of options for teams around Dusseldorf which are just as magic as BVB, but easy to get tickets direct from the club website (they all have an English language site).

Keep an eye on the DFL website for actual matchday fixture announcements(normally about 6 weeks before the first game in the batch). Once these are announced then tickets will go on sale, but to members only for the first week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Sun 19 Jan 20:32

Yup loads of great venues around Dusseldorf. Schalke, Dortmund, Leverkusen, koln, gladbach and Dusseldorf themselves.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRreturns  
Date:   Sun 19 Jan 22:22

I organised a stag do last year for 12 lads to Madrid. Got 12 tickets together for Athletic v Valencia with no issues directly from the club website. The stadium has its own metro station so you can get in from any underground station in the city centre.

Stayed at Hostel Generator (it’s pretty much a hotel) which was fantastic, great value and perfect location.

I’m here to take over!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Sun 19 Jan 23:21

BVB are away to Paderborn that weekend mate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 06:46

Went to Roma v Cagliari a few months ago. Flights very cheap from Edinburgh to Ciampino.

Avoid the public buses from airport to centre. Infrequent, slow and crowded. Pay the extra money for an express private bus or taxi.

Rome tickets can be bought easily on their own website. You need your passport and email ticket receipts to get into the game. Was checked 3 times before I was in my seat.

Pitch is a mile away from the stands due to the running track so it's a bit less atmospheric than you'd think.

Great city for a weekend jaunt.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 07:04

Cheers for all the advice folks. 👍

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Fethiyespar  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 08:59

Going to the Antalyaspor v Konyaspor match in the Turkish Super Lig on the 2nd February. Antalya is a nice city and easy to get around, staying at one of the many all inclusive hotels on Lara Beach.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 09:05

Most of the basics been covered. I have a trip coming up and been added to a group chat for guys who literally do this all year every year as "groundhoppers" plenty great places to go and see. City break and game then somewhere like Rome/Barca/Madrid. Football experience alone then id recommend Germany. Netherlands/belgium options however still some local trouble at games.

Most teams have fan re-sale sites where unused season tickets will be resold etc.

Just be prepared to not enjoy the weekly scottish football experience once you have seen how its done properly

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 09:43

Been to see Dortmund, Bayern Munich and Hertha Berlin whilst in Germany, as well as some of the mentions above I also managed to get tickets through the hotels I stayed at, so always worth enquiring. Got to see Berlin vs Monchengladbach for 10 euros only a couple of seasons back, insane when you have to pay £20 for a Scottish Championship game. Granted depending on the match and availability you may have to pay a bit more than that but well worth the experience. Dortmund is just a surreal experience seeing the yellow wall...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Helmsdale Par  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 13:36

Ajax would be a good bet, always friendly and Amsterdam is a great city. Easy Jet do flights from Edinburgh for around £30, although KLM is a better experience but that would be closer to £80. Easy to book online for both companies.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Helmsdale Par  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 13:38

Forgot to say you can buy tickets from the club's website,although you could probably just turn up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 15:23

Hamburg is a great trip St Pauli or Hamburg sv ,both in the Bundesliga 2

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 16:10

^ agreed but make up your own mind on where to go. We got hamburg return flights and match tickets for under £50 to go to St Pauli.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Underpars  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 20:09

This is a great post with other Pars fans passing on useful experiences. No contagion bed wetters (the ones whose posts I never even read now) involved thankfully.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 20:28

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Mon 20 Jan 16:10

^ agreed but make up your own mind on where to go. We got hamburg return flights and match tickets for under £50 to go to St Pauli.

Just ensure you book accommodation...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Mon 20 Jan 22:29

Quote:

Jeffery, Mon 20 Jan 20:28

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Mon 20 Jan 16:10

Just ensure you book accommodation...

It's the Reeperbahn. Get a room for €5. Albeit, it's only for 20 minutes, so my pal told me.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net