DAFC.net
Home 13 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hope Springs Eternal
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 06:59

It's been a while since we had a home game and I'm looking forward to it. Not sure why, tbh. Losing 5 games on the bounce is hardly a recipe for boosting optimism or confidence, is it?

And yet, I feel quietly optimistic. All runs, good and bad, come to an end at some point, I've told myself. Tonight, in front of the TV cameras, might just be the occasion for our team to turn up. We've conceded some soft goals but Dundee are no defensive rock themselves, so we can expect a few goals tonight. Just as long as we score one more than them.....

Am I in a tiny minority? Should I question my sanity or is this way of thinking quite common among football fans of smaller teams, who lose almost as many games as they don't? If we believe our team will lose a game, how do we summon the effort to get along and watch it, especially if like tonight, it's on TV?

It must be because ''Hope springs eternal.'' The question is, why?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hope Springs Eternal
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 07:05

The team have the ability, that is without question but we need to have that desire back which has been lacking for weeks.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 07:09

I am anticipating 5-5.

Look at the two goalkeepers!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 07:32

Quote:

Sliema Par, Fri 24 Jan 07:09

I am anticipating 5-5.

Look at the two goalkeepers!

Have you received the team lines early this week, Sliema?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 07:52

One things for sure, we cannot afford a big defeat in front of the cameras tonight.

Pressure is on big style.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 09:43

G G Riva: Look at the three goalkeepers!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 09:53

We can’t afford (another) defeat, regardless of the score, or the TV coverage.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 10:35

Unfortunately, our record when the cameras are there is pretty poor. Hopefully that changes tonight.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 12:15

Dundee are gash as well at the moment but still I am not confident in the slightest. Goalkeeper and Defence are a massive concern and I reckon Hemmings could have a field day tonight. 3-1 Dundee.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Fri 24 Jan 12:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 12:24

I predict we’ll start off like a train and be 2 up in 30 minutes - Dundee will then dominate the rest of the game and equalise following a goalkeeping calamity. Against all expectations Nisbet will score the winner from a last minute breakaway and those of us who stay to the end will go away happy, dreaming of the play offs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 13:07

Crawfords pre match interview fills me with dread tbh, it sounds like we'll be set up very defensively.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 13:39

Quote:

Grant, Fri 24 Jan 13:07

Crawfords pre match interview fills me with dread tbh, it sounds like we'll be set up very defensively.

I hear you, Grant, but as the manager of a team on a losing run, the first thing you have to do is to make sure you don't lose the next game by not conceding. We all want a win but if that's not possible, a draw would at least stop the rot.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 14:56

Quote:

Could be be any less encouraging?
Kills any enthusiasm for the game.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 14:58

It concerns me as well, we are not well suited to soaking up pressure. We don't have a goalkeeper that can deal with crosses and generally we don't defend them well. Sitting deep hardly helped us at Cappielow, having been on the front foot for half an hour. Similarly it wasn't the formation or setup that cost us at Dens, or the home game v Alloa, in both games we played well enough to win but didn't because of individual mistakes. Even go back as far as the first game of the season v Dundee, we dominated but then gradually sat off and it cost us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 15:59

Quote:

Rastapari, Fri 24 Jan 14:56

Quote:

I've read the interview and I must say I don't share the views of Grant, Rasta or Bucaresti. It seems quite realistic to me. Crawford can hardly say that the team is going to come out with all guns blazing and blow Dundee away. We've lost 5 games on the bounce - we need to try and make sure we're defensively solid, first and foremost and then see if we can go on and win the game.

Rather than starting to beat myself up about what might happen during the game, I'd rather reserve judgement on the manager's tactics until after it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 16:35

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 24 Jan 15:59

Quote:

Quote:

I've read the interview and I must say I don't share the views of Grant, Rasta or Bucaresti. It seems quite realistic to me. Crawford can hardly say that the team is going to come out with all guns blazing and blow Dundee away. We've lost 5 games on the bounce - we need to try and make sure we're defensively solid, first and foremost and then see if we can go on and win the game.

Rather than starting to beat myself up about what might happen during the game, I'd rather reserve judgement on the manager's tactics until after it.

We need some positivity min, he speaks such a negative game it's demoralizing.

Post Edited (Fri 24 Jan 17:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 17:02

Oh, the irony...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Granthamspar  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 17:05

1-1 at halftime, 2-1 for Dundee full time. Dot net in usual meltdown.....

Ross Smith
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 17:10

Let us pray that Dundee don't continually put high crosses into our box.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 17:35

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 24 Jan 17:02

Oh, the irony...

Oh the predictability.
You ever think Crawford sounds positive?
No doubt you lap it up.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 17:37

You certainly don't sound positive ...ever.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 17:44

I'll be there , but not with much confidence that we'll get anything out of this game .
How the bookies can have Dundee at 15/8 baffles me .
Reckon we'll lose by 2 tonight . No much positivity there eh , but I'd be chuffed if I was proved wrong .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 18:32

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 24 Jan 17:37

You certainly don't sound positive ...ever.

Aye like I said though, I don't have a team or a fed up support to lift do I?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 22:14

Well, Stevie got it right tonight. Maybe his pre-match interview was reverse psychology. Personally, I don't hang on his every word like some do.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 22:20

Over to you Rasta......

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 22:25

Does Stevie play poker ?😏👍🏁🏁🏁
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 22:37

One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that but glad my negative prediction was proved wrong.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 22:40

McPake looked like the guy with a problem tonight. We need to take confidence from this and push on. The next two games are vital because I think they are both away games and we haven't done so well away from home.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 22:52

Hopefully all our fans that keep going on about Crawford needing an experienced assistant watched that tonight.

Dundee are spending twice the money we are with superman Jimmy Nicholl according to some on here and were woeful, tactically inept and completely overrun all over the park.

Sack Dair where’s the experience? Doesn’t always work like that
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 22:57

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Fri 24 Jan 22:52

Hopefully all our fans that keep going on about Crawford needing an experienced assistant watched that tonight.

Dundee are spending twice the money we are with superman Jimmy Nicholl according to some on here and were woeful, tactically inept and completely overrun all over the park.

For as much I enjoyed the win let's not berate others who were rightly in my opinion having a dig at Crawford over the slump we are in. We have been woefully inconsistent with some horrendous results thrown in.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 23:01

Quote:

Frank Butchers LoveHandles, Fri 24 Jan 22:57

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Fri 24 Jan 22:52

For as much I enjoyed the win let's not berate others who were rightly in my opinion having a dig at Crawford over the slump we are in. We have been woefully inconsistent with some horrendous results thrown in.

People have continually blamed lack of experience being the problem. I’m not sure Crawford will get it right but more than halfway through the season proves that even with experience it’s no guarantee.

Nicholl has been stated as a necessity by some on here, paying players twice what we are and a point above is.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 06:39

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 24 Jan 22:20

Over to you Rasta......

I think it's clear elsewhere I enjoyed that match or gave you tactically ignored that?
I'll start getting aroused like you lot when we stick a couple of good performances together, it's one win in six ffs😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 08:09

Topic Originator: Rastapari like | nolike
Date: Fri 24 Jan 16:35

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 24 Jan 15:59

Quote:

Quote:

Rather than starting to beat myself up about what might happen during the game, I'd rather reserve judgement on the manager's tactics until after it.''

I try not to get too despondent when we lose (admittedly pretty tough when we lost 5 in a row) and by the same token, I'm not getting carried away because we won a game. It was an encouraging performance all the same, with every player playing their part and the squad's collective confidence will have been given a much needed boost.

Above all, I got the impression the players are solidly behind Stevie Crawford, so let's see how results and performances develop from now on. One point of a play off place - onwards and upwards.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 08:25

GG I am delighted with the result and performance but I stand by what I said, I just wish Crawford could sound a bit more positive at times.
If you think his demeanour doesn't affect the gate then you are wrong, my mum knows some older fans, season ticket holders, who don't even bother going because of it, not ideal but there are obviously others who would like to hear a bit more oomph.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 08:39

So let's get this straight. There are fans who choose not to go to games because of the managers demeanor during interviews?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 08:49

Quote:

Rastapari, Sat 25 Jan 06:39

Quote:

Over to you Rasta......

I think it's clear elsewhere I enjoyed that match or gave you tactically ignored that?
I'll start getting aroused like you lot when we stick a couple of good performances together, it's one win in six ffs😂

There's a strange sexual undertone to a lot of your posts.......

I've said on a few other threads that it was a great win but we really need another at Palmerston before I start to think we're on to something.

You must've missed that. Anyway try and enjoy your weekend!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 09:48

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 25 Jan 08:39

So let's get this straight. There are fans who choose not to go to games because of the managers demeanor during interviews?

Yep, they are bored, results overall terrible (last night's good result and performance aside).
There is literally no hype for a game from Crawford and that's a shame.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 09:49

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 25 Jan 08:49

Quote:

Rastapari, Sat 25 Jan 06:39

Quote:

Over to you Rasta......

There's a strange sexual undertone to a lot of your posts.......

I've said on a few other threads that it was a great win but we really need another at Palmerston before I start to think we're on to something.

You must've missed that. Anyway try and enjoy your weekend!

I agree, if we go to Palmerston and lose with a whimper there it's back to square one.
For Crawford to claim any sort of success there has to be at least a spell if some sort of consistency.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 09:56

Did you enjoy the game Da no 1? As usual your posts make little mention of the game but are all digs at other posters - although I see you’ve surpassed yourself this time and also had a dig at those sitting around you at the game as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 10:28

Tbh . I thought the first half hour was dire from both teams . The middle half hour was pretty decent from us and we could and maybe should have scored another couple of goals . Then the last half hour was basically us just running the clock down .
All in all a great result , but 1 result doesn't mean the 5 previous results should be forgotten .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 10:34

Quote:

AJ27, Sat 25 Jan 09:56

Did you enjoy the game Da no 1? As usual your posts make little mention of the game but are all digs at other posters - although I see you’ve surpassed yourself this time and also had a dig at those sitting around you at the game as well.

Of course I enjoyed the win as I've said on many threads. As Rasta often says try reading.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 11:18

My apologies - at least I’ve got you agreeing with Rasta on something 👍
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 11:49

Quote:

AJ27, Sat 25 Jan 11:18

My apologies - at least I’ve got you agreeing with Rasta on something 👍

No probs. Listen, I know I'm a dick. I'm also a bit of a sarcastic dick in real life.......so it's hardly surprising when my worst traits come to the fore when I'm surrounded by other dicks on here 😁😁

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 12:00

Quote:

Rastapari, Sat 25 Jan 08:25

GG I am delighted with the result and performance but I stand by what I said, I just wish Crawford could sound a bit more positive at times.
If you think his demeanour doesn't affect the gate then you are wrong, my mum knows some older fans, season ticket holders, who don't even bother going because of it, not ideal but there are obviously others who would like to hear a bit more oomph.

Of course you're delighted with the result, mate - you're a Pars fan and we all hurt when results and performances are poor. I just couldn't help myself this morning when I re-read my uncannily prophetic OP.

Right now I'm feeling like a right smug wee bassa, ken? 😉

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 12:19

Quote:

GG Riva, Sat 25 Jan 12:00

Quote:

Rastapari, Sat 25 Jan 08:25

Of course you're delighted with the result, mate - you're a Pars fan and we all hurt when results and performances are poor. I just couldn't help myself this morning when I re-read my uncannily prophetic OP.

Right now I'm feeling like a right smug wee bassa, ken? 😉

Oh I certainly "ken".
During the game the nerves were such that I consumed heroic amounts red wine, not the worst hangover I've endured ;)

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net