DAFC.net
Home 26 November 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Live Televised Scottish Football
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 11:12

Apologies if this has already been covered before, but the current Friday night arrangement with BBC Scotland has me scratching my head as to how it can possibly benefit Championship clubs.

Obviously, the BBC pays for the privilege, so they decide the day and ko time. So the home club will almost certainly incur a loss at the turnstiles compared to a Saturday 3 pm ko, due to pay on the day fans who cannot make the earlier than usual evening ko. This will apply especially to travelling fans and Dundee usually bring a decent support.

Does anybody know the numbers in this deal and how it affects our club? I have a feeling it's no better than the last time the BBC were involved, some 15-20 years ago. Back then, live games were shown at 3 pm on Sundays. It was almost always the game involving Celtic or Rangers as the away team. According to John Yorkston, the home club received £50k from the BBC and the visitors £45k. He said that, on average, home gates would fall by about 3,000 for the live TV games, so that the revenues more or less cancelled each other out. The visiting team, meanwhile, would pocket £45k....

I think questions were asked about this at an earlier Supporters Meeting and Ross McArthur said that clubs cannot refuse TV coverage, but if there is no financial benefit to the Championship clubs, why did they sign up to such a poor deal?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Live Televised Scottish Football
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 11:19

Fairly certain that it all goes into the SPFL pot (or whatever they are called), and then distributed across all teams depending on position. Which means Celtic effectively get paid more for this game than we do and the amount is miniscule.

I'm also sure that all Championship clubs voted against it, but everyone else saw it as free money so voted for the deal.

Post Edited (Fri 24 Jan 11:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 12:39

Quote:

doctordandruff, Fri 24 Jan 11:19

Fairly certain that it all goes into the SPFL pot (or whatever they are called), and then distributed across all teams depending on position. Which means Celtic effectively get paid more for this game than we do and the amount is miniscule.

I'm also sure that all Championship clubs voted against it, but everyone else saw it as free money so voted for the deal.

It's not one club one vote, is it?

When we went to a 3 league system in 1974, the 10 top flight clubs had 4 votes each, the remaining 26 Div 1 and 2 clubs had 1 each, so effectively the Premier clubs could always easily out vote any proposal by the smaller clubs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roger Daltrey  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 12:53

Dr Dandruff is correct. It just goes into the big pot that the SPFL 'distribute' to all clubs, therefore Championship clubs get a far smaller cut than Premier clubs. We get royally screwed. Scottish football, got to love it!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 13:05

On the flip side we get money for games involving Premier clubs, if you were to distribute the money purely based on the teams involved, eg the championship clubs just get the BBC money while the Premiership clubs just get there money we'd be far worse off, we're certainly not getting screwed.

It also gives the league, and clubs more exposure which in turn means if we were on enough we could charge higher advertising...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 13:06

The championship teams voted against this deal, but top and bottom leagues voted it in.
Tv money is split, so effectively championship teams lose out and other leagues gain.
That's Scottish football and what chairman signed up to.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Chris1983  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 13:15

I may be wrong but a while ago I read that the BBC deal was worth £500k, with £200k of that going to the 12 SPL clubs and the rest divided between the 30 remaining senior clubs.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 13:21

Quote:

Grant, Fri 24 Jan 13:05

On the flip side we get money for games involving Premier clubs, if you were to distribute the money purely based on the teams involved, eg the championship clubs just get the BBC money while the Premiership clubs just get there money we'd be far worse off, we're certainly not getting screwed.

It also gives the league, and clubs more exposure which in turn means if we were on enough we could charge higher advertising...

Grant, I would put it to you that if the money we lose at the gate exceeds the share we get from the SPFL, then effectively, we're being screwed, never mind the potentially higher income from advertising....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 13:36

Why are we having another TV game against Dundee whom usually bring a decent support the club should ask for answers it’s seems a bit unfair
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 14:48

Quote:

FRED1981, Fri 24 Jan 13:36

Why are we having another TV game against Dundee whom usually bring a decent support the club should ask for answers it’s seems a bit unfair

Fair it isn't, Fred, but look at it from the BBC's angle. It's the most attractive game on the card and will have a bit more atmosphere than any other games, other than those involving the Pars and the 2 Dundee clubs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Fri 24 Jan 14:54

In terms of audience share and size BBC TV Scotland has had few successes.

Friday night "Championship Sportscene" is the notable exception hence its production values have markedly increased.

However, the Championship clubs only receive 11% of the income from their own televised games.The Premiership ludicrously gets 82%
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 13:14

I'm bumping this thread back up because I got some numbers at the game last night, regarding the effect of live TV coverage on income. I don't want to name my sources, suffice to say they're not any fans who just happened to be at the game and I believe any information they gave me is totally reliable.

OK, so my sources reckon we lost around £30k. If Chris' information is correct and 30 clubs share £300k, that doesn't even begin to cover our losses, even if the Championship clubs receive the lion's share of it.

So all the clubs, apart from the 10 in the Championship voted for it. That's democracy for you...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 25 Jan 13:30

Typical of Scottish football to have a TV that is actually detrimental to the clubs playing. BBC and the SFA or whatever they call themselves now are a joke
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net