DAFC.net
Home 01 June 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 What if.........
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Mon 27 Jan 23:07

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Mon 27 Jan 23:09

Quote:

renegade master, Mon 27 Jan 23:07

We got a £1m offer for Nisbet before the end of this transfer window.

Hypothetically what would you want the club to do?


Never going to happen, but any reasonable offer should and will be accepted
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 27 Jan 23:11

Doesn't matter what I would want the club to do though does it?
The club would take the million... And it would be the correct decision from a financial point of view.
IMO anyhoo



[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Mon 27 Jan 23:15

No-one is going to offer 1mil for a Championship player, unless it’s a really gullible English club.

Tbf if a team playing in the English Championship is genuinely interested then we should hold them to ransom, as they have money to burn.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 27 Jan 23:17

Quote:

Row_ZZ, Mon 27 Jan 23:15

No-one is going to offer 1mil for a Championship player, unless it’s a really gullible English club.

Tbf if a team playing in the English Championship is genuinely interested then we should hold them to ransom, as they have money to burn.


He did say "hypothetically"



[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Mon 27 Jan 23:18

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 27 Jan 23:54

Keep him. It could take a heck of a long time to get a like-for-like replacement.

I think the form he showed against Dundee rubbed off on the team. If that's what we're like when morale is good and if he's a big part of keeping morale high, then I'd rather have oor 'King Kev' than a £million.

Without him we might quickly revert to a goal drought like last season.

He's special. At the moment we don't know just how special, but I'm wondering if he might have the potential to become a Pars all-time great, if we could keep him.

In reality I doubt if we will be able to keep him, I'm hoping there's some as yet unimaginable scenario by which we will keep him long-term.



Post Edited (Mon 27 Jan 23:58)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: micwip  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 01:13

If Utd sell Shankland for figures like that, they’d be the front runners for Nesbit... that would also be a sensible move for him. Last half of the season with the front runners in preparation for the top league...

Its a hard life...
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: BlackLight  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 01:42


I always thought that we let Jackie Mac go for too little.

These days, I think the main thing is to make sure there's a sell on clause. He could go to a Scottish Premiership club for a relatively small amount, but then go on to England for a decent sum.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 01:43

We did but we didn't have too much choice in that. The BoS forced our hand a bit in that one I believe.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 05:42

Dundee United will use the money to pay off some debts, I would suspect, if they received such a large sum for Shankland.
The club would accept £1m if it were offered and the fans would wish the lad all the best as we did with Jackie.

Post Edited (Tue 28 Jan 05:45)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 06:47

Nobody has factored in what the player (and his agent) may want. Keep an unhappy player or take an amount which is the equivalent of approx 5 years of Lifeline contributions?

It's a no brainer.....

How much you might be offered for a player could be down to ''market forces.'' If more than one club (with money to burn) was interested, it could spark an auction for his signature.....



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 07:07

Wait. Are we signing shankland?

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 07:27

Stoke ready to offer 3 million for Shankland????
The club has to be bold with our boy imo...

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 07:39

Quote:

renegade master, Mon 27 Jan 23:18

It's funny as I heard today that Dundee Utd could lose Shankland for £2.5m next week, Utd fans think that is great as he has done his job and won them promotion.

Do we need our strongest team to avoid relegation and push for promotion or risk a sale last minute and maybe not replace him in tim!


By which time the windae is firmly shut. Friday 31st at midnight in Scotland and 11pm in England. Must be a brexit thing 😉😉

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 08:09

Shanklands transfer fee would influence what the asking price for Nisbet is. Our club would point to whatever is paid for him and say you won’t get such an established scorer on the cheap from this league

It’s madness to think we can command £1 million for Nesbit but we could certainly start at the £300k United paid Ayr for his services

Would it be totally ridiculous to say that if Shankland was injured should Nesbit be looked at as his replacement for the Scotland squad, yes it crazy but so was Shanklands inclusion!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 08:15

1970par wrote:

> Shanklands transfer fee would influence what the asking price
> for Nisbet is. Our club would point to whatever is paid for him
> and say you won’t get such an established scorer on the cheap
> from this league
>
> It’s madness to think we can command £1 million for Nesbit
> but we could certainly start at the £300k United paid Ayr for
> his services
>
> Would it be totally ridiculous to say that if Shankland was
> injured should Nesbit be looked at as his replacement for the
> Scotland squad, yes it crazy but so was Shanklands inclusion!

Given the lack of strikers around, should he keep scoring it’s not ridiculous.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 08:27

The only way to find out if a player is good enough to step up to international level, is to play him.

Stevie Crawford did it, albeit we were in the top flight then, but Andy Smith, who was scoring for fun, proved to be out of his depth in a league international at Tynecastle, IIRC.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 09:26

Quote:

1970par, Tue 28 Jan 08:09

Shanklands transfer fee would influence what the asking price for Nisbet is. Our club would point to whatever is paid for him and say you won’t get such an established scorer on the cheap from this league

It’s madness to think we can command £1 million for Nesbit but we could certainly start at the £300k United paid Ayr for his services

Would it be totally ridiculous to say that if Shankland was injured should Nesbit be looked at as his replacement for the Scotland squad, yes it crazy but so was Shanklands inclusion!


Shankland was out of contract at Ayr so no comparison to be made there.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 09:27

Start Bold, maybe even offer him a long term contract lol
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 09:31

I always think I'm not too bad at taking off my pars tinted spectacles but what I'm about to post may mean I've well and truly got them on but I didnt think Andy Smith was out of his depth in the B game at Tynecastle.

I felt it was more Scotland not knowing how to use him and they spent 45 minutes just punting aimless long balls up the park which didnt really give Smith much of a chance. There were times he was having to bolt from one side of the 18 yarder to challenge for headers on the other side of box.

We were quite a direct team back then but at least we tried to utilise our very good wingers to get decent balls into him from wide positions and when we did go long, they were mainly long range passes rather than hoof up the parks. Scotland just seemed to think: big man = punt.

Part of the reason the two goalies got crunched was that he was chasing down yet more balls through that weren't accurate enough for him.

I might be being completely biased but I really did feel at the time that he hadn't really been given a chance because of the way Scotland approached the game.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 11:00

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 11:05

The bank will tell the club to sell if any acceptable offer came in.

Hypothetically - and in the real world as well.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 11:18

Have to keep him if we are to survive in the league this season.
Selling him to Dundee United would cause a meltdown, and imagine him playing against us, supporters wouldn't be impressed.
Plus United will want him at a budget price!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 11:26

''The bank will tell the club to sell if any acceptable offer came in.

Hypothetically - and in the real world as well.''

What business is it of the bank's? We don't have any bank borrowings.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 12:51

Quote:

veteraneastender, Tue 28 Jan 11:05

The bank will tell the club to sell if any acceptable offer came in.

Hypothetically - and in the real world as well.


The bank has nothing to do with this....

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 12:54

You might think that........
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 14:29

Veteraneastender, please confirm with proof that this is the case. Otherwise that’s quite a leap...



[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 14:31

VEE - everyone is getting ahead of themselves with talk of big transfer bids, but really I can't see why "the bank" (which bank do you mean, anyway?) will be involved in what would be a commercial decision for the football club and the player.

_________________

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 15:25

Agreed Stanza, however few clubs up here can ignore banks attitude.

As told to me by two retired bank managers.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 15:36

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 28 Jan 11:18

Have to keep him if we are to survive in the league this season.
Selling him to Dundee United would cause a meltdown, and imagine him playing against us, supporters wouldn't be impressed.
Plus United will want him at a budget price!


I can't see why he (and his agent) would opt for Dundee United if there was a chance of a move to the English Championship. Much more money and a greater challenge, bigger crowds, better facilities, etc. etc.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 15:46

Topic Originator: GG Riva like | nolike
Date: Tue 28 Jan 15:36

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 28 Jan 11:18

Have to keep him if we are to survive in the league this season.
Selling him to Dundee United would cause a meltdown, and imagine him playing against us, supporters wouldn't be impressed.
Plus United will want him at a budget price!


I can't see why he (and his agent) would opt for Dundee United if there was a chance of a move to the English Championship. Much more money and a greater challenge, bigger crowds, better facilities, etc. etc.


Have to agree with you but Shankland did just that-apparently turned down Hull City amongst others.I suppose it depends on family etc and not forgetting a sweetener of a signing on fee.In the end it looks to have been a good decision by him as now there are even bigger clubs being linked to him.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 15:50

Quote:

londonparsfan, Tue 28 Jan 09:31

I always think I'm not too bad at taking off my pars tinted spectacles but what I'm about to post may mean I've well and truly got them on but I didnt think Andy Smith was out of his depth in the B game at Tynecastle.

I felt it was more Scotland not knowing how to use him and they spent 45 minutes just punting aimless long balls up the park which didnt really give Smith much of a chance. There were times he was having to bolt from one side of the 18 yarder to challenge for headers on the other side of box.

We were quite a direct team back then but at least we tried to utilise our very good wingers to get decent balls into him from wide positions and when we did go long, they were mainly long range passes rather than hoof up the parks. Scotland just seemed to think: big man = punt.

Part of the reason the two goalies got crunched was that he was chasing down yet more balls through that weren't accurate enough for him.

I might be being completely biased but I really did feel at the time that he hadn't really been given a chance because of the way Scotland approached the game.


Lpf, I must confess that I wasn't at that B game at Tynecastle, nor did I see it on TV - if indeed it was televised and that my post relied solely on the comments made by some journalistic luminaries of the time. I think Gordon Smith was one of several BBC pundits who were underwhelmed by Andy Smith's contribution. You were obviously at the game and are far more entitled to evaluate his performance.

Now that I've outed myself, for something I would happily castigate others for, I can only hang my head in shame and embarrassment. ☹



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if.........
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 28 Jan 16:22

As well as Smith there were 3 Pars managers in the squad that day with Crawford,AJ and Jim McIntyre all playing a part.

I didn't see the game either but from what LPF says it sounds similar to the few times Duncan Ferguson got a game in that we automatically started lumping it.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 


 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net