DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Owain Fon Wiiiams
Topic Originator: Alan  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 06:24

According to the Daily Record the Hamilton keeper is set to sign for us today on loan until the end of the season, following a medical.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Owain Fon Wiiiams
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 06:56

Good experienced keeper, Welsh international, looks promising if true
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 06:57

Decent signing. Hopefully this will help our defence out for the rest of the season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 07:31

Dunfermline are set to sign Owain Fon Williams on loan from Hamilton for the rest of the season.

The keeper will have a medical today.

The Wales international penned a one-year deal with Accies at the start of the season but has struggled to make an impact with the Premiership side.

Good signing if it gets over the line, got to be an upgrade on the current keepers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 07:37

6 foot 4inches coming up to 33 and highly experienced.

He has an interest in oil painting.

He ticks a lot of boxes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Craigston_Par  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 07:38

Actually really pleased with that. Good height good keeper and he’s got good experience. Happy with that
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 07:55

Number 2 to Gill surely? Don’t change a winning team?

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 08:06

Quote:

livipar2, Thu 30 Jan 07:55

Number 2 to Gill surely? Don’t change a winning team?

Big lad, with plenty of experience. Plenty of experience of getting relegated too though with it being 4 times that has happened
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 08:07

Feel a bit for Cammy, twice he’s effectively done nothing wrong and looks likely to be dropped.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 08:10

Would not think he will be looking to be a second choice in the championship when he can be a second choice in the premier
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 08:37

Over the first half of the season majority of people have identified the lack of consistency from either keeper .Many saying for weeks that this is one area to be strenghtened .
Now the manager brings what looks like a good keeper sympathy for the keepers we have .
I am a supporter for Cammy but I think we need a more experienced keeper ,we had scully but he has not had a good season.

My thoughts are we will release Scully .

Manager has brought two players in specific positions that fans have been asking for .

Now if we could get a good midfielder we will be in a strong position .

Im still not convinced with Devline and Ashcroft but last game both were excellent .

Again only my opinion I think two good signings by our management .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 09:08

Fon Williams should still be able to do a job at this level and should provide a better option than Scully. Don't think you can drop Gill after keeping a clean sheet against Dundee, despite not having much to do. I'd want Fon Williams to learn the defensive habits of the team in any case so he could adjust until Gill's level drops
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 09:20

Get the new guy straight into the team. The ones we presently have had ample opportunities to show their worth and have failed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 09:27

Fon Williams goes straight into the team imo. Gill goes out on loan to gain some valuable experience with Scully back up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 09:31

isnt Gill or in particular Scully, experienced too = great keeper to some, lets see if Inverness and Hamilton fans are wrong...

a loan uses up our domestic quota so any other deals have to be loans from outwith the country or permanent deals, limits the options.

"My thoughts are we will release Scully"

said at the end of August he should go for his own good, still say it now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 09:37

As Sliema Par says he ticks a lot of boxes. It's the fact that he has an interest in oil painting that clinches it for me!😊😊😊
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 09:49

Hamilton get beat every week and we are happy about signing a keeper that cant get into that team

Mmmmm

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 09:51

The report says he has failed to make an impact at Hamilton but he has started the last three games for them. They've just renewed a loan for Luke Southwood from Reading.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 09:58

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Thu 30 Jan 09:49

Hamilton get beat every week and we are happy about signing a keeper that cant get into that team

Mmmmm

Hamilton play at a higher level every week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 10:06

As much as he has looked unconvincing at times, Gill has started 10 league games, kept 3 clean sheets and only conceded more than one goal twice (2 in 3-2 win v Ayr and 2 in the 2-0 defeat away to United). He is inexperienced, but I think he should have been given the opportunity to show what he can do with a decent run of games, between now and the end of the season.

I think the defence in general has suffered from a lack of consistency at the goalkeeping position. Constantly changing the keeper can cause problems, as both keepers are very different with their styles of play. This makes it hard for the defenders to predict what the keeper will do. We need consistency there, in terms of personnel.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 10:07

Many of our greatest players have paintings of them on the back wall of the NW Stand.

Could Owain, in his spare time,paint some more?

Like Super Joe Cardle.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 10:19

You are having a laugh SP - surely ?

Post Edited (Thu 30 Jan 12:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 10:26

20 Years time we WILL look back and remeber Joe as a great Pars player.. Which other player will you look back at in 20 years? Just like when we were youngsters and remember the pars greats of that era, the current "youngsters" will look back..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 10:37

Quote:

Sliema Par, Thu 30 Jan 10:07

Many of our greatest players have paintings of them on the back wall of the NW Stand.

Like Super Joe Cardle.

Joe was a good player in a very average team certainly not Super
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 10:44

Topic Originator: Sliema Par like | nolike
Date: Thu 30 Jan 10:07

Like Super Joe Cardle."

You will be commissioning a portrait of Lee Robinson next Sliema ! 😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 10:50

Average or not, It was what it was...

Would many of former pars greats look so good in modern day football? Perhaps not...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 11:32

Quote:

Rigger Al, Thu 30 Jan 10:37

Quote:

Like Super Joe Cardle.

Nonsense. Joe together with Davie Graham and Willie Gibson made it enjoyable going to EEP after years of turgid crap. He also won 2 titles. Credit where it's due

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 11:34

Offered to play for free, Returned to the club that made him redundant..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 11:48

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 30 Jan 11:32

Quote:

Rigger Al, Thu 30 Jan 10:37

Quote:

Like Super Joe Cardle.

Nonsense. Joe together with Davie Graham and Willie Gibson made it enjoyable going to EEP after years of turgid crap. He also won 2 titles. Credit where it's due

Like i say its my opinion and we all have opinions .
I thought Joe was a very good player on his game ,but there were many games he was posted missing.
Certai ly not to be clased as super .
Good player great guy
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 12:22

"Would many of former pars greats look so good in modern day football? Perhaps not..."

Name one of the greats who couldn't hack it in this era.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 12:31

His paintings are stunning.

Google his "Welsh Heroes" pictures at UEFA 2016 from the Oriel Ynys Mon Llangefni exhibition and prepare to be surprised.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 12:34

Joe Cardle is a club legend IMO. Won two titles as one of our best players. Some absolutely phenomenal football in the First Division with him and Davie Graham on the wings.

Anyway, Fon-Williams is definitely an upgrade on Scully.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 12:38

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 30 Jan 12:22

"Would many of former pars greats look so good in modern day football? Perhaps not..."

Name one of the greats who couldn't hack it in this era.

From the 60s? Probably all of them, watching football from the 60s and 70s is an eye opening experience. It's basically a different sport.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 12:47

veteraneastender delusional
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 13:02

Some of the players of today would struggle to get into the Pars reserve side of the 60's.

However I bow to the observational knowledge of the younger generations who never saw Alex Edwards and Hugh Robertson etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 13:16

I tend to agree with Rigger - I love Joe but it’s as much to do with him as a person than as a player - he was very good but inconsistent - I’d love to see him back at the club in some capacity.

Funny how our opinions differ though - I was never a great fan of Davie Graham but Willie Gibson was one of the best crossers of a ball I’ve seen.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 14:10

Alex Edwards - what a player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 14:44

Okay, let's see...

Martin, Callaghan (W), Lunn, Fraser, Barry, Thomson, Edwards, Paton, Gardner, Callaghan (T) and Robertson.

Nah... I can't see any of the current squad getting in that team.

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 16:08

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 30 Jan 13:02

However I bow to the observational knowledge of the younger generations who never saw Alex Edwards and Hugh Robertson etc.

It's almost like some games from the 60s was recorded, and as such can be viewed later on, crazy eh? The standard in the 60s is miles off what it is now, in terms of athleticism it's changed massively, tactics, shape and professionalism have changed the game massively.

Not viewing the 60s through Rose tinted specs makes a massive difference. Have you ever looked back at footage of the 1960s champions league final? Laughable.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 16:22

Today's players are certainly more athletic but are they more gifted technically? If the players of the 60s were trained in the same way as players are trained today would they be better than the current crop?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 16:22

It's called perspective, Grant. Of course, the game has changed and training regimes today are incomparable to what was the norm in the '60s. But the key difference is standard. Scotland was producing a stream of world-class players in the '60s. Why?

Every class in every school in the country was playing the game in PE lessons and when school was over, a large percentage of the boys would be playing in the streets or the fields until sunset.

The basic skills were taught young. Were those players of the '60s given the attention and pampering that modern players get, heaven knows how good they could have been.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 16:41

Signing confirmed!

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 16:50

People suggesting that any of the players around our first team during the 60s wouldn't be able to hack it these days are delusional. They would probably be even better with modern coaching. People saying otherwise don't have a clue what they are talking about
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 17:59

Ref: RMGpar
Thu 30 Jan 10:50

<<< Would many of former pars greats look so good in modern day football? Perhaps not... >>>

By that reckoning d'you think Jim Baxter, Denis Law, George Best, Bobby Charlton and the likes would have been any less brilliant today? I think they'd excel, just as the Pars greats of the sixties would.

RMG, we're talking 1960s not 1860s.

Remember in the 1960s they played with real footballs not the toy ones they have today. Imagine Bobby Charlton with a modern football. He'd be scoring direct from 70 yard free kicks!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 18:27

Fitba in the 60s and 70s was absolutely dire. Watch MOTD classics on BT and you’ll get an idea of the standard. It was a completely different sport. The Lisbon lions wouldn’t get through Champions League prelims . Guys that sink 50 pints a weekend , smoke like a chimney and have an English breakfast every day vs dedicated athletes ?

Post Edited (Thu 30 Jan 18:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 20:28

Players that won the cup, got to quarter final and semi final of the cup winners cup, if they had been around today with the same conditioning and training as our current group wouldn’t make it. I’ve seen some utter nonsense on these pages but this is a highlight 👏🏼👏🏼😂

That Pele geezer was a bit rubbish eh

Welcome to the madhouse Owain

Post Edited (Thu 30 Jan 20:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 20:35

Ref: Pars Kebab
Thu 30 Jan 18:27

<<< Fitba in the 60s and 70s was absolutely dire. Watch MOTD classics on BT and you’ll get an idea of the standard. It was a completely different sport. The Lisbon lions wouldn’t get through Champions League prelims .>>>

I don't agree with that. Fitness ain't everything. I think the Lisbon Lions would do very well in the Champs league now. They were fit enough, and boy did they have football brains. I mean quick-thinking, savvy and lightning reflexes, plus grit in shedloads.

<<< Guys that sink 50 pints a weekend, smoke like a chimney and have an English breakfast every day vs dedicated athletes ?>>>

I think I get what you're trying to say, but without wishing to antagonise anyone, I can't understand the reason for such a 'comparison'. It seems like you're saying the original Greek Olympians (marathon runners) wouldn't stand a chance against today's marathon runners.

Or may as well say an amoeba wouldn't swim as fast as Phelps!

You see what I'm saying?

Plus they didn't all eat, drink and smoke like my gran!

Post Edited (Thu 30 Jan 20:51)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 20:58

And as for those MOTD classics being dire you have to remember they were kicking a cannonball from Mons Meg, footballs were made of iron in they days.

Post Edited (Thu 30 Jan 21:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 21:01

The Lisbon lions wouldn’t stand a chance in the modern champions league, its a no brainier. The physical aspect of the modern game requires players to be a lot fitter and more importantly stronger than in previous years. I was at the wee team v Montrose on Saturday was impressed at the level of fitness of both teams, game was played at max speed for the full 90minutes, 3rd tear so fitness over talent!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 21:03

Aye but the Lisbon Lions had both. They wereny in the third tier.

Usain Bolt was pretty fit. Wasny a' that good at fitba' though.

According tae some dotnetters there's any number o' fit headless chickens in the modern game.

I don't think ye get tae play for the best team in Europe, as the Lisbon Lions were, without heaps o' skill and a gid fitba' brain. And a high level o' fitness. It may be 10% higher these days, but I don't think that makes so much difference at the top end.

Post Edited (Fri 31 Jan 16:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 21:24

I think this is good news. He has alot of experience at that will rub off on Gill and Scully. Im surethey will work together.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 21:25

Anyway, I'm pleased as punch OWAIN has signed for us. GOOD LUCK to him I hope he enjoys his fitba' here.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 05:04

Those that think football in the '60s was dire should have been at EEP in the '70s. Now that was DIRE!

I think we started to see some major changes in the approach to fitness during the Leishman/Gregor Abel era. Up to then, I don't recall seeing the players come out on the field to do pre-match routines.

As we moved from part-time to full time, the physical appearance of the players changed - I remember seeing George O'Boyle for the first time and being amazed at how muscled he was compared to some of our more "traditional" players in the side. After that, you could see with Leish's recruitment policy that we were getting more into line with the modern game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 07:37

If Owain's first language is not English he should fit in well with the rest of the squad.

Just kidding!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 08:18

In the mid 70s, when I went home after a match my mother used to always ask me, well how many did you get beet by today!

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kingseat par  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 08:38

So she was into root vegetables?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 09:39

We had a few turnips playing at EEP in those days !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 09:40

Quote:

kingseat par, Fri 31 Jan 08:38

So she was into root vegetables?

Ha ha !
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 09:42

Quote:

OzPar, Thu 30 Jan 16:22

It's called perspective, Grant. Of course, the game has changed and training regimes today are incomparable to what was the norm in the '60s. But the key difference is standard. Scotland was producing a stream of world-class players in the '60s. Why?

Because the standard as a whole was lower across the globe?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 09:45

Quote:

Pars Kebab, Thu 30 Jan 18:27

Fitba in the 60s and 70s was absolutely dire. Watch MOTD classics on BT and you’ll get an idea of the standard. It was a completely different sport. The Lisbon lions wouldn’t get through Champions League prelims . Guys that sink 50 pints a weekend , smoke like a chimney and have an English breakfast every day vs dedicated athletes ?

I genuinely don't get how people can argue with this, the evidence is literally right there, sometimes in colour, sometimes in black and white.

Some black and white tinted specs going around.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 10:00

Quote:

Grant, Fri 31 Jan 09:45

Quote:

Pars Kebab, Thu 30 Jan 18:27

I genuinely don't get how people can argue with this, the evidence is literally right there, sometimes in colour, sometimes in black and white.

Some black and white tinted specs going around.

You guys are either trolling, or not the brightest
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 13:21

There's an interview with OFW on COWS. It's not clear to me why he decided to leave Hamilton.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 13:33

wee eck wrote:

> There's an interview with OFW on COWS. It's not clear to me why
> he decided to leave Hamilton.

I didnt appreciate he had played so often for them this season ( played 90 minutes last weekend), I thought he was maybe out of favour but obviously not.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 13:48

My Hibs friends say he defied them midweek a week ago when Hibs struggled to beat Hamilton Accies at Easter Road.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net