DAFC.net
Home 27 May 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Newcastle and the Saudis
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 11:32

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51299845

Bit of a dilemma for Newcastle fans. With the Saudi Big Oil money behind them it would propel them into contention for all the top prizes. Without that money then they will continue to be a middling Premier League club at best. Newcastle fans could in ten years have experiences and memories like Man City fans have and will continue to have for the foreseeable. All the Geordies have to do is what the City fans had to do. Look the other way and keep their mouths shut.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Newcastle and the Saudis
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 11:57

Not much chance Ashley will sell his cash cow, TOWK. He knows the Toon fans are desperate to see the back of him so he goes ahead with the charade of pretending he wants to sell the club. Whenever any potential buyers come in, the asking price goes up to unrealistic levels.

Would the Toon fans have any scruples about accepting Saudi owners? I doubt it. As you say, look at Man City now. With the right investment, management team etc. there's no doubt Newcastle could mount a serious challenge to the established "big six".

The only way Ashley may sell is if the buyers call his bluff and agree to pay the price he's asking for, rather than try to haggle. If he still refused to sell, they would have him over a barrel, as they could leak this to the media and he'd never be able to set foot in St James's Park again.

Ashley's still a very rich man but he lost quite a fortune in poor investments. He may be ready to try and recoup some of that if his asking price is met.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 12:25

"Would the Toon fans have any scruples about accepting Saudi owners? I doubt it."

Spot on - they weren't too upset that a rip off pay day lender was a shirt sponsor not so long ago.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 12:33

I must admit I am somewhat relieved as a couple of months back it was rumoured that the Saudis were making enquiries regarding Man Utd. As a follower of Man Utd (granted from a distance) I'd have to call it a day if they were being used as a prop facade for a human rights abusing dictatorship. I also concede that it's easier for a Utd fan to take the morally correct position as Saudi money won't increase Utd's spending power due to financial fair play. This may be Newcastles only chance to make it big time.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 12:47

I've been going to St James Park a few times a year for about 10 years and would consider myself a fan, however I'm torn on this. It's like being a Pars fan. Part of the "fun" is being crap. It means that when you beat Morton at home it feels good and your saturday is made. Yes, this money could make Newcastle the new Man City, but bizarrely, I'm not sure I'd want this instant, ready-made, handed on a plate, sort of success.

One thing is for sure. If they instantly sack Bruce (who's doing well and deserves to be given a chance with some real money) and re-install Rafa, I'll walk away.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 13:38

I have been a fan of Newcastle since mid 80s and I cant argue with a word 1985par said above.

Not been down to St Jamses for a few years, 85par have the toon army accepted Bruce?, I for one believe every manager has a club that they were born to manage and I can only hope that SB has found his

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 13:48

"have the toon army accepted Bruce?"

Some have, some haven't. But if the take over goes through he should be kept on to see if he can build something.

Benitez is overrated and owed a lot of his popularity to the way he stood up to Ashley.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Brucey Bonus  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 16:19

Man United have been taking sponsorship money from the Saudi state for years. It’d be a bit hypocritical to object if there was a takeover, unless there’s some kind of monetary threshold for when taking cash from a regime hits a tipping point.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 17:31

If I can be bothered I'll put up quite a long and boring post on my thoughts on this but for now: collectively we as a country have just returned a Government whose policy it is to actively market and sell arms to these countries and will pursue those policies to the extent that they'll break the law doing it:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/26/truss-admits-uk-breached-court-order-banning-arm-sales-to-saudis-again

The nation doesn't seem to mind that too much as they're our allies apparently but start to flip their lids when football is concerned. It intensifies when teams start winning things and all of a sudden they're repressive regimes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 17:34

Quote:

Brucey Bonus, Thu 30 Jan 16:19

Man United have been taking sponsorship money from the Saudi state for years. It’d be a bit hypocritical to object if there was a takeover, unless there’s some kind of monetary threshold for when taking cash from a regime hits a tipping point.

I pointed that out last time this came up on here too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 18:50

Nothing hypocritical about it all. Massive difference between a sponsorship arrangement and being outright owned by a despotic regime. I'd rather Utd had nothing at all to do with Middle Eastern money that comes from funds associated with brutal oppressive regimes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 18:51

Nothing hypocritical about it all. Massive difference between a sponsorship arrangement and being outright owned by a despotic regime. I'd rather Utd had nothing at all to do with Middle Eastern money that comes from funds associated with brutal oppressive regimes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 19:18

And of course Western money is far cleaner.

Are United fans perfectly happy taking money from a corporation that deliberately fitted faulty ignitions to their cars that killed 124 people and injured 275 people more?

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-gm-ignition/u-s-judge-dismisses-gm-ignition-switch-criminal-case-idUKKCN1LZ2U0

Fortunately they ponied up enough money to the Government to avoid anyone being criminally prosecuted. Imagine if the Saudi Government had refused to prosecute an entity complicit in that many deaths?

I believe we also pointed out that GM had been involved in the provision of vehicles to transport Jews in Nazi Germany but I think the come back on that last time was that it happened quite a while back.

Personally I see very little difference in taking money from sponsorship or ownership. You could go through every club in football and you'll find links to companies that have done something dodgy over the years.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 19:28

Anyone know a good place for parking. Got tickets for there game v Norwich this Saturday
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 21:11

I can't speak for any other Utd fan than myself. I'm happy with them being sponsored by GM. I wouldnt be happy with them being bought over by Saudi Arabia and if they were I'd be out. Hey money talks and the power brokers aren't going to care what little old me does. That said thirty odd years many decided to take a stance against another brutal regime in South Africa through a sporting boycott and that contributed, at least in a small part, to bringing an end to apartheid. Would anyone have turned the other cheek if Bothas government wanted to buy a football club to divert attention from their oppressive policies. If Saudi Arabia and their like were to cease their human rights abuses, as reported on by Amnesty International, and begin a process of change then my objections to them buying Utd would be lessened.

Post Edited (Thu 30 Jan 21:14)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 21:28

Man United???
Is that the team that used to be good... But now they're not very good... In fact... They're pretty rubbish ? 🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 21:30

Aye not doing too well these days.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 21:50

Ole must stay TOWK...🤣
In all seriousness... Man Utd will be back.... They're just going through a bit of a slump. But they will be back... Of that I have no doubt.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 23:15

Personally I can't see any difference between taking money from Governments or Private companies if what they're doing is dubious. GM quite deliberately acted in a manner that caused the death of 124 people and that's ok?

Liverpool's primary sponsors are one of the most corrupt organisations going. You could go through every club and find something.

Interestingly GM haven't replied to a request for information from Amnesty International on how they avoid the use of child labour in their supply chain for electric cars:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/09/electric-cars-running-on-child-labour/

I wonder why?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 23:33

If the regime who murdered Jamal Khashoggi took over the reins at Old Trafford then I'll no longer be following them.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Jan 23:34

That's one guy. Your sponsors killed 124.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 00:11

Yeah he was just one guy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 01:10

Ultimately yes he was. What happened to him was clearly wrong and should never have happened to him but what happened to the GM victims was wrong and should never have happened to them.

I'm failing to see the difference in morality between a regime killing someone and a corporation killing someone.

The corporations even manage to get away with criminal charges if their pockets are deep enough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 04:33

You could offer the same argument for all the betting companies that absolutely infest our sports today. How many suicides have they been directly responsible for, yet nothing gets done against them?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 08:53

Absolutely. As was pointed out on the other thread, they try to limit winning players while maximise their profits. They also frequently offer players poor value bets collectively soneven when they lose their payouts are lower than they might have been. Even though I love a bet you have to acknowledge there's quite often a human cost behind that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 13:31

The Saudis are infinitely worse than GM, who themselves are an absolute scumbag company.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 23:40

Having spent the day in Newcastle forget Nisbet going to Hibs, there team are crying out for a strong striker willing to take a shot from distance. Start him at 45m for the first week in the summer then reduce by 40% to 27m, Mike Ashley will be force to buy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Brucey Bonus  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 06:48

There’s no difference in the mechanics of getting the money, if it’s from a dubious source then it’s from a dubious source. Saying you’d object to a takeover but you’re fine taking a little bit of the cash from the Saudi state (and the Russian state too in United’s case) is like saying you’re ok with a bit of state sponsored torture but not too much. Same with Liverpool happily snorting up the cash from an organisation money laundering for South American drug cartels and facilitating the conflict in Yemen.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 09:19

I'm not fine with Man Utd taking any money from Saudi Arabia though and what i absolutely could not tolerate is them being taken over entirely by the regime.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net