DAFC.net
Home $D " ; ?>
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sol Bamba talks about the Pars
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 02:45

The club has posted a delightful interview with Sol Bamba on Sky TV. He is hugely complimentary about his time with the Pars. A Frenchman with a Scottish accent - just great.

:)

https://twitter.com/officialdafc/status/1222176968982122497
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sol Bamba talks about the Pars
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 09:43

Superb guy
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 09:45

Say what you like but he has had one hell of a career since leaving us
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 12:54

Used to live next door to me in Sandpiper Gardens, along with Paul Gallacher who is just around the corner.

Both players were happy to chat away - no airs and graces.

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 13:51

Most successful Pars player in what, 2 decades for someone many classed as being a totally bombscare and donkey. Loved the guy
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 16:01

Quote:

Andrew283, Tue 4 Feb 13:51

Most successful Pars player in what, 2 decades for someone many classed as being a totally bombscare and donkey. Loved the guy

Suffered from having wage thieves around him.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 16:07

Dont think he was a bomb scare, but I do .. kinda agree with rasta. Not as much wage thieves but spent more time trying to get rid off Stephen Kenny than they did trying to win games

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 16:19

Bamba was young when he was with us so he wasn't the finished article and has definitely improved many areas of his game since he moved on.

He showed tons of promise here though and I'm not really surprised by his success.

The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel the warmth.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Saltire  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 16:45

here comes more unfounded rumours merchant again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 17:26

It’s amazing what you can achieve with a fantastic agent looking after you
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 17:31

46 full caps , Olympic games ,Africa nations cup ,World cup ,some agent ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 18:14

Never my favourite player, could not even cement a place in our first team which was poor at the time, granted he has improved somewhat however moves to big clubs and superior coaching made him better. Well done agent
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 18:26

Was he not fighting for a place against Wilson and Nipper? Both were aging but were rightfully first picks in that team. Bamba also played a lot for us in his time so don't see why you're making things up now. He's played in the Premier league, a regular in the Championship over his career so say what you want about his agent, but you don't get there for no reason
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 18:36

Find it ridiculous that people keep dwelling on the Hamilton game in particular. Especially seeing as it was such an Offiong time ago.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 19:00

Quote:

Andrew283, Tue 4 Feb 13:51

I think it was the infallible Chico Young who first labelled him a "bombscare", whatever that means and many Pars fans judgement is coloured by THAT game v the Accies.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 20:17

Always found it weird how that Hamilton game always comes up but (Don't want to think about it) the Cowdenbeath play off shambles is mostly forgotten. That really was a horrible day
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 00:12

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 07:32

I never mentioned the Hamilton game, also not being able to cement a place in the team is not making things up
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 08:28

Quote:

1970par, Wed 5 Feb 07:32

I never mentioned the Hamilton game, also not being able to cement a place in the team is not making things up

I know YOU didn't mention the Hamilton game, but that doesn't mean it didn't influence your opinion on Bamba's ability if you were at the game. By the same token, I've often wondered if I would hold Istvan Kozma in such high regard, if I hadn't seen his scintillating hat trick in THAT 5-1 win v St Mirren. Right after that game, I was thinking he was probably the greatest Par of all time, which would be disrespectful to Alex Edwards, who turned in many magical performances for the Pars and Hibs in the 60s and 70s.

What is beyond dispute is that Bamba was a very young player at EEP, who developed and improved after he left us, to carve out a decent career. It's fair to say he'd probably walk into today's team.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 10:29

He was the only one playing well at the start of the 07/08 season. Miles ahead of everyone else in the team.

Went downhill from the Hamilton game onwards but no-one covered themselves in any glory at that time.

Quite telling though that an SPL team bought him and that we put in a sell on clause. It was fairly clear there was a player in there. Just needed to make better decisions some times, but that was to be expected of a young centre back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 10:45

He made mistakes in that Hamilton game, but he showed up and tried to take responsibility when others around him had downed tools.

It was kind of analogous to a striker missing a hatful of chances but still getting praise for 'getting in the right positions' - in that game Bamba got in the right position a lot of time, but then proceeded to make a hatful of errors. At least he was in the position to make the errors, which was a hell of a lot better than a few of the other 'performances' that day.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 11:59

When I saw Bamba play in the semi final vs Hibs, it was clear as day he was far too good to stay with us for long.
The potential was blindingly obvious.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 12:00)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 12:40

Cost all 5 goals in that horror show at home to Accies. Some guy like! :D

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 12:42

Quote:

Andrew283, Tue 4 Feb 20:17

Always found it weird how that Hamilton game always comes up but (Don't want to think about it) the Cowdenbeath play off shambles is mostly forgotten. That really was a horrible day

Agreed 283, that was a horrible day, I have been a pars fan for 40 or so years, in all that time the Hamilton game was the only game I have attended (averaging 25 games a season,so around 1000 games)I was that the team is lying down get money on Hamilton to win by 4 or more goals, so 999games without even mentioning betting against my team, 1 bet on them to lose heavily against Hamilton Mmmmmmm
That is why I remember the Hamilton game, well 1/3 of it as I left after half an hour disgusted, it is also the reason I didnt attend Nippers testimonial.

It may be wrong but that is how I felt and still do to this day

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 12:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 15:45

No he never. The highlights (albeit a poor copy) are on YouTube. There’s mistakes galore, from so called experienced defenders.. but pars fans being what they are decided to absolutely hammer the young foreign bloke. He had a poor game, but he wasn’t alone.

ETA : this was in response to row_zz post.

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 15:46)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 16:06

^^^^^This^^^^^^

No way was Bamba at fault for all 5 goals. I can't believe Row ZZ was actually at the game.

Perhaps he zzzzzzz all the way through it and then read a report by Chic Young or Jim Traynor the next day? ☺

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 16:25

He was rancid in that Hamilton game. Absolutely the worst performance I have seen from any Pars player but despite this he did put in a few great performances towards the end of our relegation season. A couple of things I remember vividly from that Hamilton game was Offiong's stunning volley and the crowd chanting for Scott Wilson to be sent off after he mistimed a tackle. The atmosphere was truly poisonous at that time.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 16:35

It was an awful awful day, horrible atmosphere too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 18:04

I think my message deserved better
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 18:19

I didnt and dont blame Bamba, I blame Nipper and his buddies who didnt want to do a full days work

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 18:32

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Wed 5 Feb 18:04

I think my message deserved better

I saw what you did and it made me smile, Rusty, but I left it to someone else to comment on it.

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 18:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 18:41

Nipper's testimonial was before the infamous Hamilton game.

What a load of total nonsense min. Unreal when this stuff gets brought up.

The Prophet - 12/07/18, 13/06/19, 10/07/20
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 18:53

"Absolutely the worst performance I have seen from any Pars player"

I'm guessing you didn't see Gary Dempsey's 'performance' at ICT prior to him following JC to Aberdeen on amateur terms in the 04/05 season. That was truly special.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 18:55

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Wed 5 Feb 12:42

Quote:

Andrew283, Tue 4 Feb 20:17
, it is also the reason I didnt attend Nippers testimonial.

It may be wrong but that is how I felt and still do to this day

You are.

Anyway, Bamba was sometimes incredibe for us, sometimes really, really bad. It was telling that upon moving to Hibs they played him originally as a defensive midfielder rather than as a centre back straight away, he still had allot to learn.

My good mate was a Leeds fan and he actually described Bamba very similar to how Pars fans would, occasionally brilliant, occasionally a howler, always memorable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ft media  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 19:52

Bamba was seen at fault by folk that couldn't see how their buddy Nipper and his cohorts were basically trying to get Stephen Kenny the sack by not trying in the slightest. Sol was all over the place trying to cover for them.

Funny how they'd play out their skin when a cup bonus was on offer though.

A load of shysters!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 20:30

FFS he made a couple of mistakes that night but I've seen many many worse performances before that and since by players far more experienced.

Some terrible memories on show on this thread.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 21:30

I never really understand why Bamba polarises opinion so much. His time with us was very mixed - a good number of brilliant defensive displays from him, but a good number of absolute shockers as well. He always had attributes to his game that meant he had a chance of a good career, it was more a matter of doing it consistently and getting his concentration in games.

At the time he left he was in a really bad run of form and it was best for him and us that he moved on at that time. There shouldn't be any need for bad feeling about it at all. I've no doubt that he's absolutely genuine in the nice things he's said about DAFC over the years and I'm pleased that he went on to have a good career in football.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 22:41

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 23:04

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Tue 4 Feb 18:36

Find it ridiculous that people keep dwelling on the Hamilton game in particular. Especially seeing as it was such an Offiong time ago.

😁😁😁

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 23:25

Was that the game flew back and was jet-lagged but still played.Trust me all you want to do is sleep,not play a game of serious football.Admittedly I couldn't play it even if I wasn't jet-lagged but that would take me from terrible to god only knows how bad.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 23:33

One of the very few times i've bet against the Pars off the back of that game.

Stirling Albion away was grimmer IMO, wee stand right on top of the players and smaller crowd so they'd have heard every word and it was quite a poisonous atmosphere from memory.

Nobody looked remotely interested apart from the big Welsh centre half who was built like the side of a house, for some reason he sticks in my mind for not giving up that day (not well enough to remember his name though haha!).

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 23:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 23:40

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Wed 5 Feb 23:33

Stirling Albion away was grimmer IMO, wee stand right on top of the players and smaller crowd so they'd have heard every word and it was quite a poisonous atmosphere from memory.

Nobody looked remotely interested apart from the big Welsh centre half who was built like the side of a house, for some reason he sticks in my mind for not giving up that day (not well enough to remember his name though haha!).

Jamie Harris?

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 23:43

Quote:

Frank Butchers LoveHandles, Wed 5 Feb 23:40

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Wed 5 Feb 23:33

Jamie Harris?

That is the very man, good shout

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 05:58

Bamba always showed plenty of promise but needed the right coaching to fulfil his potential. Going to Hibs was a decent move for him and he went from strength to strength after that. It’s great to see how well he has done.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 09:25

He was never my favourite player by any means but you could clearly see he had some raw potential.

What a career he has gone on to have! Seria A, Turkish top flight and English Premiership as well as World Cups and African Cup of Nations.

Any other Pars have a similar CV?

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 09:42

Quote:

livipar2, Thu 6 Feb 09:25

He was never my favourite player by any means but you could clearly see he had some raw potential.

What a career he has gone on to have! Seria A, Turkish top flight and English Premiership as well as World Cups and African Cup of Nations.

Any other Pars have a similar CV?

Maybe our own EEP has the qualities as mentioned, ex pro and all that. We shall find out when/if his red is lifted.

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 09:58

"One of the very few times i've bet against the Pars off the back of that game.

Nobody looked remotely interested apart from the big Welsh centre half who was built like the side of a house, for some reason he sticks in my mind for not giving up that day (not well enough to remember his name though haha!)."

Remember Owen Morrison from that gave and it was vile from what was coming from the stands and also the retorts coming back from some of the players. A truly horrible period in the history of our club.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 10:54

Jamie Harris?

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 11:02

Bamba was a mixture of brilliance and mistakes but always gave his all, unlike some of the shysters that he was playing with. Some of these guys were a disgrace.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 13:05

As Bandy mentioned earlier, Sol always took responsibility and wanted the ball when other went into hiding during the Hamilton game.

Yes he made some howlers that day, but the lack of any midfielders wanting to show for the ball was part of the reason.

As I said, I met him a few times in the street and he was one of the happiest, easy going characters you could meet.

It's testament to his character that he still hold the club in such high regards.

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 14:37

Jamie Harris came on with 15 minutes to go against Stirling Albion. His main contribution was to sclaff wide when it was easier to score - following a perfect cross from Owen Morrison.

Morrison then got dog's abuse from the Pars support. Strange times.

Harris, however, did look the part at centre back but Jimmy Mac clearly didn't agree and shipped him out a month after he took over.

Incidentally, Nipper played in only 4 league games during Kenny's reign in the 07/08 season. We won 2, drew 1 and lost 1 - and conceded 2 goals in those 4 games. He only played in two other matches, the home leg against Hacken and a Challenge Cup semi-final against Ayr. We won 1, drew 1 and conceded 1 goal across the 2 games.

He wasn't even in any of the match day squads for the 0-5, 0-3, 0-4 run of games against Hamilton, Stirling and Livi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.

Post Edited (Thu 06 Feb 14:58)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 14:47

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Thu 6 Feb 14:37

Jamie Harris came on with 15 minutes to go against Stirling Albion. His main contribution was to sclaff wide when it was easier to score - following a perfect cross from Owen Morrison.

Morrison then got dog's abuse from the Pars support. Strange times.

Harris, however, did look the part at centre back but Jimmy Mac clearly didn't agree and shipped him out a month after he took over.

Incidentally, Nipper played in only 4 league games at during Kenny's reign in the 07/08 season. We won 2, drew 1 and lost 1 - and conceded 2 goals in those 4 games. He only played in two other matches, the home leg against Hacken and a Challenge Cup semi-final against Ayr. We won 1, drew 1 and conceded 1 goal across the 2 games.

He wasn't even in any of the match day squads for the 0-5, 0-3, 0-4 run of games against Hamilton, Stirling and Livi.

But but... Nipper baaaaaad
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 15:09

"sticking up for your mate" incoming...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 15:31

His signed Pars strip on eBay for £2:45 just got a mention on TalkSport, they were laughing at how cheep it is!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 17:20

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net