DAFC.net
Home $D " ; ?>
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Partick Thistle 1963 - Pars connections
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 11:47

Partick Thistle training squad 1963 - four of the individuals standing have connections to the Pars.

A clue or two might be in order - two were signed players, two have a close relative who was a player, and the other had a backroom role at the cla playerub.

On reflection, one of them actually meets two of the above clues - signed as a player AND had a close relative a player.

Cue Sammer !!!

Post Edited (Tue 04 Feb 12:14)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Partick Thistle 1963 - Pars connections
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 12:14

2nd left in the dark shirt is Martin Ferguson, brother of SAF; 3rd to the right of him is Davie McParland who was part of our backroom team at one point and I think the player standing extreme right may be Jim Fleming, a very clever player who had a couple of fruitful seasons with us in the 60s. I can't find a fourth.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 12:20

Well clocked Wee Eck - 75% correct.

The missing answer is third from left, he became a secondary school teacher (eventually depute head) later.

One of the non Pars connections had a twin brother who played for Scotland - that should be an easy one !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 12:33

Is the player third from the left George Smith whose son, Trevor, played for us? I don't remember George playing for the Pars. I think he was a teacher though and he did match reports on the telly after he retired from playing.

Next to him is Donnie McKinnon, brother of Ronnie who played for Rangers and Scotland.

Martin Ferguson is currently chairman of Airdrie I see.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 12:43

Well done that man.

Correct on George Smith and Donnie McKinnon.

Martin Ferguson was on the club's playing strength for a while when Sir Fergie was at EEP - but never made the first team if memory serves.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 12:49

Wee Eck reveals age shock !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 13:10

I think you're right about Martin Ferguson, vee. His stay at the club smacked of nepotism!

I recently bought a book published by DC Thomson called 'It's a Team Game' which is an album of black and white photos of Scottish club sides up to 1991. It's a pretty random selection as it depends on availability but there are photos of the two Pars' Cup-winning sides and Leish's team from 1973. There's also a book of photos of Scottish grounds as they were before redevelopment called 'Lifted over the Turnstiles'.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 13:37

Extreme left front row with the Teddy Boy mop looks like Ian Cowan who played later for Falkirk before playing a season with the Pars around 1968. He was very fast but was just signed as cover for when Alex Edwards was injured or suspended.

Next to Cowan may be Alex Wright, a Firhill stalwart who played midfield and later managed the Pars in the early 1970s.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 14:43

Sammer - nice one on Ian Cowan.

That's Geordie Muir, left back for Thistle kneeling next to him, not Alex Wright.

Far right front - looks a bit like John Lambie, however he never played for Thistle as far as I know.

Fourth from left front is Firhill favourite of that era, Neil Duffy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 21:18

The photo must be at the start of season 1963-64. Thistle went on to finish 7th in the First Division that year, but had fished 3rd in the league the previous year. Yes third! Above Celtic and the Pars. Thistle represented Scotland in the Fairs Cities Cup as a result but were knocked out early.

Partick stalwart Alex Wright was transferred to East Fife in May 1963 which is why he is not in the photo.

There is a wild theory that you might encounter in a Maryhill bar that the ‘Big Freeze’ of 1963 denied Partick Thistle the championship in 1963. They were level on points with Rangers as late as early March 1963.That is a matter of fact. The Maryhill claim is that if football had not been suspended for two months then the Jags, who were on a roll late December, could have won the title.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 21:27

The Jags had gone 15 games undefeated, with 10 consecutive wins when that horrendous winter impacted, nearly 3 months before fixtures resumed.

They could well have won the league, but their form tailed off.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 21:44

The Thistle goalie at that time would have been George Niven, who was something of a legend at Firhill. I am looking at the picture, but cannot spot him. Must have been his day off.

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 22:44

Firhill for Chills was the headline
BTW, Hearts fans also claim they could have won the league in 1962-63.
After two months without training and relaxing in the bar, Willie Hamilton was never the same player again.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 09:41

Oz - not sure exactly when that photo was taken, GN might have still been at Ibrox before moving to Firhill

He had to bear the ignominy of keeping goal in Rangers worst ever defeat to their rivals, the 1957 League Cup final - when asked the time Celtic fans would reply "it's seven past Niven" !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 10:02

HaHa. I've never heard that one before, VEE.

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 10:08

George Niven was a Fifer, born in Blairhall.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 12:22

OZ - the Celtic keeper that day was Dick Beattie, who later did 9 months "porridge" for match fixing during his time down South.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 13:50

I was surprised not to spot George Niven in the picture as well. According to Wiki, Niven signed for the Jags in February 1962 and did not miss a single league match for the next two years which were amongst the best in Thistle’s history. Niven was in goals the day a Bert Paton shot won the quarter final tie against Partick en route to our 1968 Scottish Cup victory. Considering Niven made his Rangers debut in 1952 that was a very long career, even for a goalkeeper.

Blairhall must have been a fertile ground for goalkeepers, for Eric Martin was from there as well.

I have a vague memory of seeing Dick Beattie play at EEP for St. Mirren presumably before he was jailed. Beattie is still fondly remembered by Celtic fans for being photographed leaving the pitch holding up seven fingers after the 7-1 victory over Rangers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 13:54

'Beattie is still fondly remembered by Celtic fans for being photographed leaving the pitch holding up seven fingers after the 7-1 victory over Rangers.'

Probably all on the same hand.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 15:15

I'm pretty sure back row, 2nd from the right, is Dick Staite. He played for Thistle, Clyde then the Rovers as a centre forward then a centre half.

He went into teaching, first as PE, then worked his way up to become Head Teacher at Beeslack High in Penicuik where he was knighted for services to education - Sir Dick.

I worked under him at Beeslack where he was a hard taskmaster but very well respected by parents staff and pupils, eventually leaving to HMI.

The only Pars connections are he said Roy Barry was the hardest opponent he ever played against, and he put up with me for 5 years!

I had the pleasure of meeting him again yesterday - wish I'd seen the pic before!

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 15:51)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 16:19

SP - spot on - this is the lineup as posted with the photo.

Back Row L to R :Tommy Gibb, Martin Ferguson, George Smith, Donnie McKinnon, Eric Norman, Willie Cunningham, Davie McParland, Sandy Brown, Duncan McColl, Joe Hogan, Billy Gourlay, ??Ramsay, John Harvey, Dick Staite and Jim Fleming.

Front Row L to R : Ian Cowan, George Muir, Gordon Whitelaw, Neil Duffy, Billy Hainey, Dougie Wright, John McLaughlan, Drew Michie and ?? Welsh

Sammer and others will mind that it was Gordon Whitelaw who scored in the 1-1 draw for St.Johnstone at EEP the day Fergie missed a sitter in front of goal and effectively scuppered the Pars chances of winning the league
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 16:48

My recollection is that there were two St. Johnstone forwards offside but that it was Hawkshaw who prodded the ball home.
Around this time Hawkshaw and Jim Kerray were photographed signing on at the Perth dole office after being suspended by St. Johnstone for a fortnight due to some disciplinary issue.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 16:53

I too thought Ian Hawkshaw scored SJ's goal that day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 16:58

Could be WE - somehow Whitelaw's name stuck in my memory bank.

Update - you are both correct, apologies.

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 17:01)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net