DAFC.net
Home 10 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Michael Stewart
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 17:11

Has certainly rattled some cages in the Scottish media ,and at Rangers PR firm,the Daily Record outraged,BBC refusing to put out last night's podcast ?

Post Edited (Tue 04 Feb 17:15)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Michael Stewart
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 17:31

Can normally talk sense when it is football related. But last night show was a bombscare for him and an embarrassment.
His contradictions are coming back to bite him now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 17:33

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Tue 4 Feb 17:11

Has certainly rattled some cages in the Scottish media ,and at Rangers PR firm,the Daily Record outraged,BBC refusing to put out last night's podcast ?

Can you give us the gist of it, Salton?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 17:58

There is a link somewhere- I listened to it this pm - he made a lot of sense and didnt hold back. Well done. When i am in front of my pc I will try and paste the link.

Post Edited (Tue 04 Feb 18:02)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 18:07

He was spot on, the Sevco PR machine in full flow, now being shown up with the ridiculous translation of the Morelos interview
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 18:08

He said that the record was fed the story about someone maybe attempting to tamper with the brakes on Morelos car.
With the inference it may have been done by a Celtic fan.
Then it broke it was a private detective employed by Morelos wife , attempting to put on a tracking device on his car.
When that broke a Morelos interview was aired on sky ,stating he has had to put up with racist abuse.
Stewart said it was Traynor at Rangers trying to take the pressure off

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 18:10

Sky have now pulled the interview with Morelos as Spanish speaking people are saying it has not been interpreted properly,as Sky said Morelos said it was Celtic fans abusing him but ,he did not actually say that in the interview

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 18:15

Link to evening times article
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18209058.bbc-sportsounds-michael-stewart-rants-rangers-jim-traynor

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 18:19

here (I hope) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZEZXkr9OiM&feature=youtu.be
is a link to the broadcast.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 18:48

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Tue 4 Feb 18:10

Sky have now pulled the interview with Morelos as Spanish speaking people are saying it has not been interpreted properly,as Sky said Morelos said it was Celtic fans abusing him but ,he did not actually say that in the interview

So was this an example of SKY using "journalistic licence" ?

In other words, make up something sensational that the ordinary punter will believe.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 19:24

I'm sure sky journos have the highest integrity,🤔🤫

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 19:44

Sevco have become Celtic in the 90s . Totally consumed by paranoia.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 20:02

The Rangers banned Chris Mcglaughlin ,BBC reporter in 2015 ,a ban of BBC staff continues still

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 20:24

Thats the broadcast I saw earlier Vasco.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 20:29

When he was asked if the police could have leaked the Morelos story, he totally dismissed this out of hand when it is probably very likely espeically in Glasgow.
Never listens to alternate arguments.
It was Sky who altered Morelos interview not Rangers and interpreted it incorrectly or so it appears according to Celtic who released a statement too.

Shambles in what is a good season at the top of league, it is a battle of who releases the most statements and paranoid statements at that by both clubs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 20:39

If it was Sky who didn't interpret the interview correctly why haven't Sevco said anything? It's their player who has been wronged
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 22:46

BBC have given The Rangers an apology, Michael Stewart says he will continue to say it as it is .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 23:57

Anyone that gets fired in aboot Jim "James" Traynor is ok with me

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 00:07

I am totally against VAR but they should bring it in for old firm games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 00:41

Celtic don't want var in Scottish game. Now I wonder why that would be...

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 07:54

I will always be grateful to Jonathan Sutherland,Michael Stewart and Steven Thomson for the way they have transformed "Sportscene".

All three are articulate,intelligent and impartial with a fair amount of fun and banter thrown in.

They comment authoritatively on some excellent commentaries.

May I remind you how it used to be in the bad old days? The analysts were former Rangers and Celtic players, who were usually thick as mince and inarticulate.Their knowledge of football only extended to the city limits of Glasgow rather like Paddy Bonnar today.If a game was covered involving a provincial team eg us,they latched onto the one player they actually knew eg Ian Ferguson.

Michael's knowledge of tactics enhances the programme considerably and they are a match anytime for the over rated over hyped big budget "MOD".
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 08:31

The only problem I have with Michael Stewart is that he tends to laugh and sneer when any one has a different view to his ...especially Steven Thomson's .... I think the Laddie's head is a wee bit up his own backside
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 08:33

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 4 Feb 23:57

Anyone that gets fired in aboot Jim "James" Traynor is ok with me

My sentiments exactly. A more sleekit, example of humanity you will not find up and down the length of this country.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 08:36

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 5 Feb 00:41

Is that a fact, TOWK? Where did you hear that?

Are they the only Premiership club holding up its implementation?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 09:37

I heard them talking about it on Radio Scotland Sportsound a couple of Saturdays back.

And a little bit more about it.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/celtic-s-silence-on-var-reflects-lack-of-appetite-in-scotland-1.4135057

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 09:41)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 09:57

I trust I am not giving away any trade secrets but is it not just possible,before transmission, that Michael and Steve select a controversial penalty shout and deliberately choose different sides to be fun,entertaining and controversial?

When there is a stonewall penalty claim( the sort Ref Craig Napier, inexplicably, but consistently, turns down for the Pars), it is not worth debating.

Remember our opening match v Dundee and the away game at Alloa.

Michael and Steve both agreed we were hard done by.

As for Steven Gerrard condemning our racist fans in Scotland.He is spot on.

I look forward to him arguing that the Old Firm abandon their desperate rear guard action against the implementation of Strict Liability!!

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 09:59)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 10:48

In the darkest days of Sportscence Jim Traynor was himself a pundit. Shudder.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 11:03

He used to have his own show on the radio too did he not after Off The Ball?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 11:06

he ran the Off the ball phone in

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 11:07

Topic Originator: GG Riva like | nolike
Date: Wed 5 Feb 08:36

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 5 Feb 00:41

Is that a fact, TOWK? Where did you hear that?

Are they the only Premiership club holding up its implementation?

It's been priced up at £1 million per year plus the cost of extra officials on top of that.Who in Scottish football can afford that? Even if we could afford it that's a hell of a lot of money that would be much better spent elsewhere.It would send some clubs into financial meltdown-I'm glad we're nowhere near getting it.

If the Premier League does go ahead with it money could be taken away from the lower league prize pot for it only to be implemented in the Premier League.The majority of SPFL clubs are never going to vote for it.We would need to find a Nisbet every year to be able to afford it! After the 10k all-seater stadium mess we can't be forcing clubs to unnecessarily spend outwith their means.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/var-in-scottish-football-sfa-green-lights-study-into-costs-and-benefits-as-clubs-are-asked-to-make-call-1-5065160

A YouGov poll yesterday revealed 67% of regular EPL supporters felt VAR made the game less enjoyable to watch.Even the guys in charge of it know it isn't working in it's current state.Checking every goal is an absolute nonsense.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 11:11

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Wed 5 Feb 11:06

he ran the Off the ball phone in

Thanks PuP!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 11:23

Parathletic, VAR would surely only be used in the Premier League and I'd imagine it would only be Premier League clubs that would pay for it. I have also heard that it would cost 1 millions per year so that would be less than 85k per club per season. For Celtic that's about two weeks wages for one of their top earners so for them the reasons can't be financial.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 11:30

From the article in the Scotsman

'A lot hinges on whether lower league clubs would be prepared to sacrifice a portion of their income for a system that would only be in use in the Scottish Premiership.'

85k is a lot of money for a club like us for example, plus the cost of extra officials for every game increasing ongoing costs.I don't know if clubs would require extra infrastructure like scoreboards etc or is that is factored into the costs?

Ultimately it would probably be the fans who end up paying for it by further increasing already inflated ticket prices.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 11:31

Thanks for clearing up my question 're VAR and the Scottish Premiership, parathletic.

The way TOWK's earlier post unwittingly read, it sounded like Celtic were holding up the implementation of VAR in Scotland. I knew it would be quite expensive and ironically, Celtic are the club who could most afford it. If they're luke warm about its introduction, you can imagine how the poorer clubs will view it.

I can't see it happening any time soon and I'll bet if it did come in, that Celtic (and Therangers) would expect every club to contribute an equal share, rather than take into account the resouces of each club.

A different yardstick is applied when the TV money is apportioned, of course... ☹

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 11:45

In a way Celtic are holding it up though GG. With Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts all wanting var to be pursued if Celtic were to be four square behind it then surely it would happen. Of course if there is no upside for Celtic in var being implemented then why would they want it. Without var they will continue to enjoy an unequal amount of margin calls going in their favour.

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 11:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 11:58

Var cost would be met by SPFL as a central cost and that would then reduce the annual League fee payment distribution to all 42 clubs never mind the fact that it would likely only be used in Premier League

Post Edited (Wed 05 Feb 12:01)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 12:05

At the very least it needs to be phased in and implemented into cup semi finals and finals. The cost to do so I those games would be minimal.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 13:25

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 5 Feb 11:45

In a way Celtic are holding it up though GG. With Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts all wanting var to be pursued if Celtic were to be four square behind it then surely it would happen. Of course if there is no upside for Celtic in var being implemented then why would they want it. Without var they will continue to enjoy an unequal amount of margin calls going in their favour.

How many clubs would need to vote in favour of VAR for it to be introduced - a simple majority or would one club be able to veto it? If every SPFL club would be expected to help pay for its introduction, should they not all be entitled to vote on whether it's implemented or not?

TOWK, do you honestly believe that there's only one Scottish club which benefits from more than its fair share of err.. refereeing errors?

I can think of two, right off the top of my head. Isn't that amazing? 😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 13:26

do we have enough officals to be able to manage VAR?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 13:27

"The Rangers banned Chris Mcglaughlin ,BBC reporter in 2015 ,a ban of BBC staff continues still."

I'm not sure that is absolutely accurate in suggesting Rangers banned all BBC staff ?

Chris McLaughlin was banned from Ibrox in 2015 following a report that Rangers took offence with - however it was the BBC who responded by refusing to send journalistic staff to cover Rangers' home games etc.

Rangers position may have changed since then, so that they now impose that restriction - happy to be corrected.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 13:49

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Wed 5 Feb 13:26

do we have enough officals to be able to manage VAR?

Do we have enough competent officials to manage VAR?

Might be a more pertinent question, Pup.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 14:53

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 5 Feb 13:27

"The Rangers banned Chris Mcglaughlin ,BBC reporter in 2015 ,a ban of BBC staff continues still."

I'm not sure that is absolutely accurate in suggesting Rangers banned all BBC staff ?

Chris McLaughlin was banned from Ibrox in 2015 following a report that Rangers took offence with - however it was the BBC who responded by refusing to send journalistic staff to cover Rangers' home games etc.

Rangers position may have changed since then, so that they now impose that restriction - happy to be corrected.

I'd be interested to know too as I thought this was the case as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 15:14

I simply don't think our officials are in any way near competent to administer VAR.

Without slagging them off, they have nowhere near the professional ability to communicate etc at the moment, and no, full time referees will not change that-it is the selection process and lack of clarity in the parameters of the job-same as any other job.

They simply do not prepare properly at the moment, we would be better off insisting on this at the moment, and if they complain....well who cares, see if they want to throw away what is effectively an extra full time income.

Yes, it is a difficult job-so are many others though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 16:39

"Yes, it is a difficult job-so are many others though."

Not sure how you can compare voluntary football officials in a non essential occupation with those working in emergency services etc.

Likewise, how do you conclude they are not capable of operating VAR ?

Many referees are well educated and would quickly embrace the technical aspects after appropriate training.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 17:04

This might be an SPFL Board decision rather than one that goes to the clubs. But obviously it impacts on all the clubs and they will speak to their Board reps. Highly unlikely the 2 championship reps and L1/2 rep will support this expenditure when VAR wont be used in their games. Then it depends on the 3 Premier reps and 3 execs views. The comment that a limited introduction in semi finals and finals would make sense is doubtful as much of the cost is in the installation and set up phase.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 18:54

I'm pretty sure VEE's understanding is correct. Chris McLaughlin is banned from Ibrox. Other BBC journalists choose not to go (or are directed not to).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 21:29

So Michael Stewart apparently dropped by BBC for telling the truth about the club from Ibrox. Wonder if he will be sacked like Jim Spence.

BBC a total joke.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 22:12

Quote:

vasco, Wed 5 Feb 21:29

So Michael Stewart apparently dropped by BBC for telling the truth about the club from Ibrox. Wonder if he will be sacked like Jim Spence.

BBC a total joke.

If that's true that's outrageous

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 23:03

Quote:

Buspasspar, Wed 5 Feb 08:31

The only problem I have with Michael Stewart is that he tends to laugh and sneer when any one has a different view to his ...especially Steven Thomson's .... I think the Laddie's head is a wee bit up his own backside

Yip. A man with a pretty high opinion of himself. Spot on regarding Traynor, though. Not sure he has all his facts correct about the circumstances of the story being leaked mind you. Could come back to bite him on the backside.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 21:41

Just been dropped by the BBC

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 21:46

So that’s Jim Spence and now Michael Stewart that have been thrown to the wolves by the BBC. Pathetic stuff from them especially when they’re still banned from Ibrox. It’s amazing how they quake in their boots whenever someone stands up to the old firm.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 22:34

Rangers fans hate the bbc because a journalist done a documentary (which turned out to be true ) about their financial situation. I see Craig Whyte has a book out . As much as I’m certain that he was a crook , he was the fall guy for the full collapse.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 22:41

"he was the fall guy for the full collapse."

He who put the club into administration and subsequently liquidation ?

CW went into the deal eyes wide open.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 22:58

The damage had been done well in advance of Whyte taking over. Whyte, a conman , was conned himself . £1 for Rangers ? He got a shocking deal .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 23:02

Remember the Scottish media saying that Whyte was a saviour with untold wealth . How staggeringly hilarious that comment proved to be.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 23:44

Why has Jim Spence been sacked? He was excellent.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 8 Feb 22:25

I’ve been speaking with Spencey tonight ~ he’s not been sacked per se. Budget cuts are being blamed for the lack of coverage by certain individuals but they include him and Charlie Mann.

The BBC do not have good people skills and not advising contracted staff of their actual work in advance of games is quite common; imo it’s unprofessional and disrespectful especially to those people who have been with them for long periods of time. There’s no personal contact ~ you’re just dropped.

Charlie Mann also out the door and after a 30 year stretch.

The majority of pundits are freelance but the BBC are who their main contracts are with.

They’re quoting budget cuts to all staff. Things could change in April but some pundits are doubtful it will make any difference.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com

Post Edited (Sat 08 Feb 23:57)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Feb 23:14

What did Charlie Mann get the boot for? I always liked him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Superally  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 00:24

Shocking decision by the BBC, yet Sportsound continue to offer that havering idiot Chick Young a microphone. Really disappointed to hear Both Charlie Mann and Spency has gone, his knowledge of east coat teams was excellent (perhaps that was the problem)

2009/10, 2010/11, 2013/14, 2015/16 dafc.net Prediction League Champion

It's a well known medical fact that some men were born two drams below par.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 00:26

Quote:

Superally, Sun 9 Feb 00:24

Shocking decision by the BBC, yet Sportsound continue to offer that havering idiot Chick Young a microphone. Really disappointed to hear Both Charlie Mann and Spency has gone, his knowledge of east coat teams was excellent (perhaps that was the problem)

I really liked Jim Spence and I am really sad to see him go. Very informative especially about the Dundee teams. You are right about Chic Young, an absolute ringpiece.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 13:05

I quite like Jim Spence as well, but if you take work as a freelancer then surely you have to accept that this kind of thing can happen. Is it any different to taking work as a contractor where you get more money but don't have the same stability as a permanent employee? If there are budget cuts, these folk are always going to be the ones affected first. I'm sure Charlie Mann stopped doing work for the BBC for a while to be Romanov's PR lackie at Hearts, so it can't be 30 years unbroken.

I think Radio Scotland still gives pretty good coverage of teh game and it's been good to see more coverage of games outside the top division in recent years. However, if cuts are to be made, there are quite a number I'd rather see go before Jim Spence.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 13:11

I met Jim Spence in July in Dundee.His coverage of the Tayside clubs on BBC "Sportsound"" is second to none.

If the BBC wants to free up time and their budget for articulate intelligent Jim,they could reduce the time assigned to Tom English.

This Correspondent,while an authority on Golf and Rugby,is completely incapable of objective coverage of his beloved Celtic.

And while they are at it,reduce the time devoted to Paddy Bonnar ,whose knowledge of football outwith the city limits of Glasgow is minimal.I so enjoyed him becoming near suicidal when Dunfermline fended off Celtic in the League Cup.

He gradually disintegrated from triumphalism to utter despair!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 13:23

Isn't Jim Spence employed as a college lecturer in Dundee? I'm sure his status with the BBC was changed a few years ago and he has only been used occasionally since then.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 13:57

He is no longer a lecturer Wee Eck.
He’s got a column in the Courier and does a podcast too with others. Also being Rector of Dundee Uni gives him plenty of work to do away from football.

The gist I got last night was exactly that Socks. It’s part and parcel of a self employment to have busy and non busy times.

He feels it’s not just a coincidence that the (3) freelancers not working at present are those who have had run ins with TRFC.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 15:36

The change org petition to get Michael Stewart reinstated is approaching 13,000 names after 24 hours.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 16:30

I don't usually bother about petitions like that but I have signed this one. The guy has his negative points like we all do but I like his contribution to Sportscene. Wouldn't be the same without him.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 07:14

14000 names now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 15:29

"The damage had been done well in advance of Whyte taking over. Whyte, a conman , was conned himself . £1 for Rangers ? He got a shocking deal."

How was Whyte conned ?

£1 for RFC 1872 was a no lose bargain for him.

If he'd have gotten away with the 4 year Ticketus deal and kept the original club afloat he'd have been the great saviour - if (as did happen) the club went bust he could skulk away from a limited liability company.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ft media  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 17:14

Whyte was put in there by Murray as the fall guy to save the last of his personal wealth.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 17:44

RFC & Co.Ltd - how would Murray be personally liable for the company's debts ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 17:55

I guess you would have to ask why would Murray sell it for a quid?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 18:48

I have often wondered if after buying them for £1 he could have sold the first team and the ground round Ibrox. Perhaps developing the stands into flats might have been a stage to far! 😂

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 19:30

"I guess you would have to ask why would Murray sell it for a quid?"

The mess that Rangers found themselves in by 2012 happened during Murray's watch, so he was happy to exit Ibrox at any suitable opportunity to avoid going down with the ship.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 20:05

Over 15,000 signatures now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 15:12

He’s had his suspension extended. What an absolute toilet this country has become.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 15:17

Is there perhaps more to this than meets the eye?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 18:48

Quote:

Pars Kebab, Fri 14 Feb 15:12

He’s had his suspension extended. What an absolute toilet this country has become.

Why is that? Is the BBC upset about the petition to have him reinstated? Do they think he's organised it himself?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 19:03

Why shouldn't he set it up himself, didn't Craig Levein set one up against him?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 22:58

The problem for Michael Stewart is that he made claims he couldn't substantiate with proof. Pretty simple really. That's the difference between a pundit and a journalist.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 23:00

Petrie nails it. I suspect that he potentially left his employers wide open to legal consequences due to his lack of diligence.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 11:10

Except they're not his employers.
Like most pundits, Michael Stewart is freelance and hired by the BBC.
Secondly, they covered themselves on the broadcast by saying this wasn't the views of the BBC.
Thirdly, if you listen carefully, Stewart never made direct accusations towards Jim Traynor by cleverly conflating the two issues.
He's been hung out to dry, simple as that by an organisation too scared to confront one of the bigot brothers.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 11:42

If he isn't employed by the BBC then how can he be suspended?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 13:15

possibly his contract has been suspended TOWK.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 17:27

Pretty convinced that Chick Young just made a joke at The Rangers expense on Radio Scotland. Question was "when was the last time a club with as big a budget as Hearts was relegated." Total deadpan he said "Rangers" and you could hear the sniggering. May have misheard but that's what it sounded like.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 17:35

Quote:

jake89, Sat 15 Feb 17:27

Pretty convinced that Chick Young just made a joke at The Rangers expense on Radio Scotland. Question was "when was the last time a club with as big a budget as Hearts was relegated." Total deadpan he said "Rangers" and you could hear the sniggering. May have misheard but that's what it sounded like.

I'd be quite surprised if that's the case, Jake. Chico, No. 1 St Mirren fan, allegedly, did a lot of fawning around David Murray and Co, whenever he covered an Oldco match, so much so that most folk think his allegiance to the Buddies was just a smokescreen.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 17:39

He maybe wasn’t joking. Rangers fans still insist they were “relegated” by the powers that be rather than ceased to be and not admitted back into the league.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 17:39

Quote:

jake89, Sat 15 Feb 17:27

Not a good joke even as Rangers were never relegated.
They were liquidated and died.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 21:39

opic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe like | nolike Like: 2
Date: Sat 15 Feb 11:10

Except they're not his employers.
Like most pundits, Michael Stewart is freelance and hired by the BBC.
Secondly, they covered themselves on the broadcast by saying this wasn't the views of the BBC.
Thirdly, if you listen carefully, Stewart never made direct accusations towards Jim Traynor by cleverly conflating the two issues.
He's been hung out to dry, simple as that by an organisation too scared to confront one of the bigot brothers.

I agree with most of your post AAPS, some of the stuff Stewart said about Traynor was published a few years back by Ch4 journalist Alex Thompson.

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/alex-thomson/blogs/succulent-lamb-rack

Could the problem be the Daily Record? He claims the Record were fed the story about somebody caught tampering with the brakes on Morelos' car. The Record never said anything about brake tampering.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Feb 11:12

Ask yourself why STV News is happy to focus on the controversy over Strict Liability from time to time but BBC Scotland recoils from their usual outstanding investigative journalism.

Allegedly!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 08:01

The petition approaches 19,000 which the BBC will not be enjoying.

The media are reporting that they are negotiating with Michael over his adherence to editorial guidelines.

Let us never have any doubt regarding the immense power of the Bigot Brothers over the media.Some of us remember the appalling treatment of Graham Spiers a few years ago.

Michael Stewart is intelligent and articulate and more than a match for disingenuous Kenny McIntyre who ,seemingly, struggled to grasp the points Michael was making.

The BBC must stop running scared of the Old Firm.Focussing on their rearguard action against Strict Liability would be a good starting point.We need brave pundits like Michael to lead the attack.This is not going to go away.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 11:01

Any news as to when he's coming back or is he now persona non grata?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 11:35

Scottish journalism is in a terrible state, and to be honest it's their own fault- they missed the big stories over the last decade, and are now paying the price.

The real circulation figures are pitiful, Graham Spiers must be laughing his socks off writing for the Times wiping out his old muckers.

I like Michael Stewart, and in particular Jim spence, it may be they overstretched it, but sounds like the BBC are in a pickle again...

We are supposed to laugh at the big guns, ridicule the Old Firm, take the p*** out of 'United' , or someone supporting' Barca' get indignant about PSG, that's their place.

Instead we pander to a paranoid OF, next up Off The Ball?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 12:40

Thanks for correcting my rude word mods!

In future I will read before, cheers
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 13:35

The BBC have revealed pundit Michael Stewart will not be back on any of its programming unless they are satisfied that they won't see another breach of editorial guidelines from the former Hearts and Hibs midfielder.

Stewart has been missing for a fortnight after comments about Rangers PR chief Jim Traynor caused a media storm.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 13:39

"Instead we pander to a paranoid OF, next up Off The Ball?"

Have you listened to OTB recently? They don't hammer the Old Firm * nearly half as much as they used to. Cowan clearly doesn't want to lose out on the After Dinner money and is a bit of an Old Firm* sychophant these days.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 14:46

Yep, seems like it, almost no mention of MS or JS on Off the ball.

The only thing listenable on Radio Scotland- I don't get why anyone should pander to the OF, with the circulation figures (Scottish press) they should just take a punt and report other than puff pieces, the Hootsman for example sells less than 10 000- Herald not much more, even the record is less than 100k, might as well do something other than print press releases.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 07:54

In the latest Henry McLeish Review of Scottish Football he despairs of " the secretive and dysfunctional institutions and adeeply embedded culture".

For those unsure what he is referring to, he later elaborates and goes through such problems as bigotry,sectarianism,racism.homophobia etc.

I look forward to BBC Scotland focussing on those aspects.

I am not holding my breath.

When intelligent articulate analysts such as Michael Stewart,Steven Thomson,Willie Miller,Alan Preston,Jim Spence get on to these topics and,of course,Strict Liability,the presenter is quick to shut down the discussion.

The Scottish Football Authorities have the data on such incidents in the last two years but have refused permission for the Scottish Givernment to publish it.

The Scottish Government needs to act.The Michael Stewart petition is at 19,000 names.His crime: to criticise one of the Bigot Brothers.McLeish expresses great concern at their influence even today.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 16:43

Bbc tweet he's now back on Sportsound and Sportscene

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 16:55

Aye, he will be heavily warned.

I just wish the Scottish media would not buckle, they are all scared to point out the truth, in the process of getting wiped out, and you know what? They deserve it.

They didn't report Rangers demise until it was done, didn't report on sectarianism, until something really nasty happens, ignored Sevco The Rangers(or is it now The The Rangers) shenanigans.

Even the rise of independence escaped our media- that's a lot of potential customers ignored.

Bound to be loads of room in the market to scoop up the excess, surely someone can mop it up?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 17:08

Michael Stewart is set for a return to BBC TV and radio, as the broadcaster confirmed they have lifted his temporary ban.

Stewart was at the centre of controversy earlier this month when he lashed out at Rangers PR head Jim Traynor on air.

The explosive rant was deemed to be a breach of BBC editorial conduct, and it was shortly after announced that Stewart's duties would be suspended.

On Wednesday, however, a BBC statement confirmed that the former Hearts player has agreed to their guidelines, and will be available once again for punditry duties imminently.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 17:52

Yes I have had a very similar E Mail from BBC TV Scotland.

The speed with which the BBC have buckled tells you all you need to know about the success of the Ugly Sisters' rearguard action over Strict Liability.

The "community singing" at recent Celtic and Rangers games came across loud and clear over the airwaves.

In the 21st Century we remain a laughing stock across Europe and,pathetically,our main broadcaster is blatantly impotent.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hay Fever  
Date:   Sat 29 Feb 22:00

Back on Sportscene tonight I believe
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Mar 07:48

Any student studying for "H" grade English and who is struggling to understand a euphemism should read that Michael is being allowed back "because he has agreed to editorial guidelines".
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Mar 11:29

Suitably chastised, now there can be no criticism.

The Sevco performance was worthy Coco the clown, but nothing to see here.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Mar 19:07

Unfortunately due to a change of plan I won’t be on Sportsound tonight to talk about the huge weekend of Scottish Cup football we’ve just had.
A tweet from Mr Stewart,all very cloak and dagger.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Mar 06:45

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Mon 2 Mar 19:07

Unfortunately due to a change of plan I won’t be on Sportsound tonight to talk about the huge weekend of Scottish Cup football we’ve just had.
A tweet from Mr Stewart,all very cloak and dagger.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Therangers are unhappy that Stewart has shown no remorse over his criticism of Traynor.

I can't fathom why the BBC didn't ask Stewart to make a fulsome, grovelling apology to the diminutive, rotund PR mouthpiece. Stewart could have been filmed semi-naked, doing a bit of self flagellation and shown over the title credits of every Sportscene programme from now on.

This would surely have appeased the anger and indignation of everyone at Ibrokes.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net