DAFC.net
Home 23 February 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 How big a blow was losing John Potter?
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 13:45

Seing John Potter on the T.V got me thinking, from what I remember he left at the start of June 2019, we'd finished the season on a reasonable high, the fanbase was hopeful and the dressing room seemed good. Fast forward 6 months and AJ is out the door, the fanbase was pretty seething and things just seemed to have fallen apart.

One thing that every player seemed to say, was that John Potter was an incredibly popular figure, it certainly seemed that way in the pre match warm ups etc.

A recurring theme from when Crawford took over was that apparently the dressing room was in turmoil, it really didn't seem a happy place. Now maybe AJ and Sandy Clark have absolutely great patter and they just choose not to show it on a Saturday but they certainly didn't seem to have the personality of Potter. Was losing Potter a season defining moment? Was he actually part of the glue that was holding it together?

******* 3 weeks without a game eh?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: How big a blow was losing John Potter?
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 14:07

I think with the skills he's got he was destined to go higher.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 14:56

Quote:

Grant, Sun 9 Feb 13:45

Seing John Potter on the T.V got me thinking, from what I remember he left at the start of June 2019, we'd finished the season on a reasonable high, the fanbase was hopeful and the dressing room seemed good. Fast forward 6 months and AJ is out the door, the fanbase was pretty seething and things just seemed to have fallen apart.

June 2018.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 15:22

People on couldn’t wait to get rid of him after his embarrassing spell in charge.

Nice guy no doubt but not done anything of notice as a coach or indeed manager. DAFC, Sunderland and Hibs (Jury our so far)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 18:11

I’m sure JP is a great guy - However his time in charge of the Pars was not his finest moment. Hopefully he has learned & moved on.

As manager he started out badly & went from bad to worse, eventually picking the team in the same manner as the HT draw.

Random/desperate team selections, bizarre on field formations, players openly arguing about on field tactics.

To be fair maybe he is more a coach than a manager.

Was it a blow losing him as a coach - No.

🔩 ya 🚀

Post Edited (Sun 09 Feb 18:12)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 18:35

I don't see anyone claiming he was a good manager, however the role of manager and coach are massively different. Over the years well respected coaches haven't made the jump to being the man in charge, Gerry McCabe was a great assistant for us and a dreadful manager at Dumbarton.

I fail to see how you can say he achieved nothing of note at Sunderland or Hibs, how much do you know the impact he had on them?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 18:53

John Potter is an excellent coach. Not my opinion but that of many young Pars players who have named him as the person who has had the biggest influence on their careers and most improved them as footballers. This isn't hearsay, I've heard these testimonies first hand.

Where John undoubtedly came up short, was in his short time as manager. He clearly wasn't ready for the challenge, but in his defence he inherited a squad which was short on confidence and going backwards. He tried to rectify this in the Jan window by signing half a dozen new players. Unfortunately, none of them proved to be an improvement on those we already had and in spite of regular tinkering with the starting line-up, results failed to improve.

Maybe he's not cut out to be a manager or maybe he learned from that initial experience and will be a good manager if some club is prepared to take a chance on him......

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 19:32

Clough and Taylor jump to mind.Great manager and coach but useless apart.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 20:42

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 9 Feb 18:53

John Potter is an excellent coach. Not my opinion but that of many young Pars players who have named him as the person who has had the biggest influence on their careers and most improved them as footballers. This isn't hearsay, I've heard these testimonies first hand

I have heard similar story's but the question off the back of that is why next to none of them have improved enough to get into the first team consistently
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 21:46

Jim Leishman and Ian Munro, another fine example of the difference between managing and coaching.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 01:07

Quote:

the saline hill puma, Sun 9 Feb 20:42

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 9 Feb 18:53

John Potter is an excellent coach. Not my opinion but that of many young Pars players who have named him as the person who has had the biggest influence on their careers and most improved them as footballers. This isn't hearsay, I've heard these testimonies first hand

I have heard similar story's but the question off the back of that is why next to none of them have improved enough to get into the first team consistently

Maybe there just not good enough.

Scotland is a pretty small country that is very well connected, within an hour of Dunfermline there must be nearly 10 youth set ups with more money getting put into them, we're not top of very many top youth players lists.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 06:52

''I have heard similar story's but the question off the back of that is why next to none of them have improved enough to get into the first team consistently.''

''Maybe they're just not good enough.

Scotland is a pretty small country that is very well connected, within an hour of Dunfermline there must be nearly 10 youth set ups with more money getting put into them, we're not top of very many top youth players lists.''

Spot on, Grant. Young footballers naturally want to aim as high as they can.

Potter was a stand out in school football and captained the U-16 team that won two national trophies in the same season. He was signed on a school boy form by Celtic at a very young age. I'd suggested to him that he would have been better signing for the Pars as he would get his chance of first team football far earlier and if he was good enough, a big club would come in for him, but the advice fell on deaf ears. I can't blame him for that, but it's much easier to go up than down in football. Many players who are released by Celtic or Rangers can't handle the disappointment and drift out of the game.

John Potter is in the minority as he carved himself a decent pro career after he was released by Celtic after two seasons as reserve team captain.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 15:00

Talking to a Raith fan last night and he's telling me they got £150K for Bowie and that Tait will be the next big money player for them. How do they pick up these players???

Meanwhile Vaughan has his 3rd cruciate op., the guy who scored a hat trick against us!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 19:42

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Mon 10 Feb 15:00

Talking to a Raith fan last night and he's telling me they got £150K for Bowie and that Tait will be the next big money player for them. How do they pick up these players???

Meanwhile Vaughan has his 3rd cruciate op., the guy who scored a hat trick against us!

They done well with there last striker....we should hopefully get 10 times they got for Bowie
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net