DAFC.net
Home 05 April 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 london in may
Topic Originator: EdmontonPar  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 22:52

Ill be heading back to the motherland in may for a wedding and the other half wants a few nights in London while we are over there.

Looking for recommendations on the best areas to stay.

shell want to see the usual buck palace, big ben, tower bridge type stuff, maybe catch a west end show, and for myself possibly a trip to the emirates or any big team stadium for that matter, fixture dependant of course

what do you dot.nutters recommend

thanks
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 admin please delete, wrong forum
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 22:59

[IP address logged]
 Re: admin please delete, wrong forum
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 23:26

That's a huge question mate! Have you got any idea of rough budgets and expected levels of accommodation etc?

Any idea on maximum travel times? Do you want to be walking distance to everything or are you ok with travel time on tube/train/DLR etc?
[IP address logged]
 Re: london in may
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 06:12

I know they aren't really a 'big' team, but West Ham have home games against Watford and Villa in May (2nd and 17th, I think). They might be relegation battles so could be interesting games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 09:16

Emirates stadium tour is superb so much I've done it twice. Been to lots all over Europe and this was up there if not the best.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 09:46

I'm in London every month and love the Thames Water Taxi rather than the Tube.

You take in some great sights.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 11:47

Stayed down Docklands last time I was there, Docklands railway stop easily accessible, cable car across to O2 and pier for river taxi. Stretford shopping and West Ham a couple of stops away, Arsenal a bit further on, mind and get an Oyster card.
City airport a stone's throw away.

Post Edited (Tue 11 Feb 11:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 11:54

Don’t bother with an Oyster card unless you have kids who will receive a discount. Just use your contactless bank card at station entrance/exits. Fares are capped at around £8 max per day iirc.

Sorry, may be different for overseas cards. Worth checking first.

Post Edited (Tue 11 Feb 11:58)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 11:56

My other half just back from a long weekend in London with some mates. She loved the Tower of London ( spent 5 hours there and she isn't one for usually spending much time in a tourist attraction) and St Paul's she recommends joining a guided tour rather than listening to an audio guide. She also did Westminster Abbey and Houses of Parliament which she said was excellent.

I did the British Museum a few years back and loved it - particularly fascinating to see the Elgin Marbles after having heard so much about hem over the years.

Other sites which I haven't done yet but will do someday are the Imperial War Museum , Churchill's bunker and the V+A which are all worth seeing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 15:45

If you're wanting to see a specific West End show you probably need to book tickets well in advance.

Not very well known, but if you want to wallow in nostalgia I recommend the Museum of Brands, just round from the Portobello Road.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mon-pa  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 19:23

can recommend Churchill war rooms; contains a huge amount of information and is much bigger than you expect. regarding West end shows - booking ahead is one way however there are kiosks in theatre-land where you can get spare tickets on the day. Would also recommend the Natural History museum... and ... and .. I could go on, but give someone else a chance !

ARTY
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 22:16

Thanks folks. Almost missed this thread as I thought it was removed for being in the wrong forum. All info much appreciated. Oooo
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net