DAFC.net
Home 23 February 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Michelin Guide
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 00:09

Ben DA is the inspiration of this thread: the burning topic of public football parks in Dunfermline District! So here is the Michelin guide (from the 1960s.)The time of year mattered back when I was a lad since the turf was only good in the early season which may influence my ratings.

Townhill: was on a plateau so the ball ran away down one side. Good grass and quite flat. Biased referees. ***

Paton Place: bad side slope and was a quarter mile hike from the nearest footpath so lacked atmosphere. A bit of a footballing desert. *

Robertson Road: great setting down from road and with the cemetery wall to remind us all of our mortality. ****

Headwell Avenue: Nice setting next to Canmore Golf Course and had a bit of atmosphere, but no grass. ***

Rex Park: bit of a side slope and badly maintained grass next to post-war prefabs (where Barbara Dickson once lived and sang.) **

Crossford: Next to golf course. As good as it gets at public park level. *****

Blairhall: well set in the middle of the community and good flat pitch with a lively local atmosphere. Always got hammered unfortunately. ***

Newmills: OK pitch but thin grass and one crossbar had a Frankenstein bolt to hold the metal posts together. Natives were restless and we had to make a run for the bus. **

Whirlbut Street: A little known gem of a pitch. On a plateau, a bit tight, but decent grass. ****

West End Park: The nearest most of us got to East End Park. Crap grass, ball always got booted over a ditch and a manhole cover 10 yards inside the corner flag to keep wingers on their toes. Terrible refs. *

College: opposite Pitcorthie Estate had flat surface and decent grass. ***

Keir Hardie Terrace: vague memory of a side slope but well set pitch with good atmosphere. Good refs.***

Pitreavie: top notch grass but the pitches were tight and the top/bottom slope would have tested Sherpa Tenzing with an oxygen mask. ****

Rosyth: Next to paddling pool and had good grass. Played like Maldini there for the only time in my life so remains my all time favourite. *****

Donibristle: Decent pitch but bad slope behind one goal meant delays for bye kicks. Near cemetery which focused attention. ***

sammer
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Michelin Guide
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 08:01

A few I didn’t know existed, my kid plays on some of these just now.

Where was the whirlbut street pitch, where the park is now ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 08:30

Bulls park was a fitba pitch in the 70s. Bad slope at the Parkneuk end.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 10:23

Having played on almost all the above in the late 60s and early 70s I'd add the following:

Aberdour - Sloped dramatically, one goal was about 6 feet higher than the other and the crossbar at the library end was almost level with one corner arc and the other corner 6 feet below the bottom of the post.

Headwell - least flat pitch apart from Aberdour.

Rosyth - the pitch that is now Rosyth Sharks RFC - matches lasted for ages due to time added on for retrieval of the ball from the burn that ran alongside one touch line.

Inverkeithing Ballast Bank - dead flat and plenty grass apart from the bare footpath that ran diagonally across the pitch where folk took a short cut to the Shore Bar / Paper Mill.

Pitreavie - Only decent changing facilities in West Fife plus best pitches for quality of grass and least amount of dog crap.

Crossgates - Always seemed to play there in pouring rain, flat pitch that was a quagmire.

Valleyfield - scary
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 10:29

I see the table top at Pitreavie is being resurrected?

I played for 4 years at North Queensferry in my later years. It was like Hamburger Hill

Ballast Bank was a good pitch, although pretty big for juveniles.

I played at the Civil Service ground for a good number of years. Very decent pitch.

What about the one at Oakley? Not much bigger than a hockey pitch and, like Blairhall, surrounded by some rockets, which always made me play better.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 10:35

The pitch behind Woodmill Crescent and Clunie Road wasn't too bad when dry weather, the pitch across from the King Malcolm was shoddy, on a slope and normally bare, no grass.

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 10:37

I am lucky that I played on a lot of those pitches. I don't remember a pitch at Whirlbut. I loved playing at Robertson Road for the Railway Club, and can remember listening to the roar from East End Park whilst trying to concentrate on my game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 10:58

I played my first game of 11 a side at Robertson Road at the age of 8-hard to imagine now with the tiny pitches the youngsters play on.I also played at Paton Street for the cubs-sad that these no longer exist.

It's good to hear the table top at Pitreavie is being resurrected,it was a mess the last time I was down there.It was one of the better pitches although susceptible to wind.We used to play on the pitch immediately on your right hand side when you went in parallel to the dual carriageway.It was usually in decent nick as it was used as the cricket outfield in the summer.

North Queensferry has to be up there for most unusual pitches-would be good for downhill skiing in the winter although I did once score 8 in a game there so fond memories.

I grew up playing on the blaes at Commercial Primary so any grass seemed good.Anyone remember the pitch on the way out to Crossford(West End?)-think it's still there.It had the unique feature of a metal drain in the middle of the pitch!

I also played at Bellyeoman for a few years.One of the pitches is tiny but the other one was decent enough.Agree that the Civil Service was a decent pitch.The grass pitch at Dalgety Bay was also up there,

Post Edited (Thu 13 Feb 11:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 7 Eleven  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 10:59

Surely the North Queensferry pitch needs a rating?

You couldnae make it up... oh, many already have!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 11:08

North Queensferry would be a blue run if it you are going by ski slope ratings :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 11:20

Wellwood had two pitches. One at the back of the social club and one in the village. One in the village had a huge slope.

Post Edited (Thu 13 Feb 11:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 11:33

Played for Inverkeithing back in the 80's/90's. Table top at Pitreavie was our home pitch. As I remember it was the windiest place in Scotland. The ball was often booted down the slope and about half a mile, wind assisted, towards the changing rooms giving the goalkeeper a bit of a workout and us outfield players the opportunity to enjoy the golf beside the pitch.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 11:52

What about the pitch just outside Saline, on the road to Dollar? It had a sideways slope you could have sledged down when it snowed.

I played there once for an U-12 team based at West End Park and run by a Mr Ritchie. The game was played in driving rain, we were into the wind and 0-3 at half time. Some of my team mates were in tears from the cold. We didn't bother with the half-time break and just changed ends. We had a big, strong lad, Douglas Currie, in our team and he could fire the ball for miles. He notched 4 wind-assisted goals from around halfway and we won 5-3.

Many of us went home with our boots on, because our fingers were too numb to untie the knots in our laces.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 11:52

I have some recollection of the tabletop at Pitreavie having some sort of carpet goalmouths am I dreaming ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 14:05

GG, is that Steelend you played on, I've played there a few times for Comrie and as a neutral ground in a cup game when with the Railway Club. Robbie road was a strange ground. The goals nearest the swings had a good atmosphere about them but the other end were the open fields and ruins if old farmhouses. The goals always seemed bigger and harder to defend. I used to hate the walk to the park from the club, strangely the ref checked your studs in the dressing room and many were sharpened on the walk down Robbie Rd.
I liked Townhill, decent enough dressing rooms and shower in the miners welfare building.
Ballast Bank was pure luxury.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 14:40

I Remember the Hillfield Swifts pitch in the 60/70s and it had a severe slope also
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hay Fever  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 15:05

" I have some recollection of the tabletop at Pitreavie having some sort of carpet goalmouths am I dreaming ?"

No Westie, I remember that as well, probably West Fifes first attempt of an Artificial Pitch. Keepers always kept sliping on it

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 16:03

''GG, is that Steelend you played on, I've played there a few times for Comrie and as a neutral ground in a cup game when with the Railway Club.''

No, Ben, it's on the other side of Saline from Steelend, mate. I've seen Steelend's ground from the road and it's at the highest end of the village on the road that takes you to Kelty.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 19:14

How old are you, Townsville?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mon-pa  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 19:20

Wellwood pitch (original) was mentioned by helensburghpar above; truly the worst pitch ever. The gradient across the pitch wasn't at all even, and increased in slope alarmingly as you neared the Burt St edge. Spent my childhood playing there, through the late 60s early 70s, and the primary school team became quite used to taking advantage of the 'slope'. I think our home/away record was quite polar; regularly beat other school teams at home, but in away fixtures it was a different story, particularly if the opposition primary school had a 'Saint' or 'Holy' in its name. Fame was beating Milesmark Primary both home and away in the same season! Another facet of the pitch was the fact that neither goal area had any grass - just solid concrete like ground stretching out almost to the edge of the box.

On a separate note I played a lot of the pitches for various teams in Dumfy; I do recollect that Headwell pitch was a bog, and the worst playing surface I ever encountered was at Culross. it was like the Somme.....

ARTY
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 21:49

Did most of my playing in Rosyth, the upper and lower pitch at Civil Service, the sacred Fleet Grounds with grass like velvet. The ash pitches at Park Road School along with the ones at the library, burn always handy for wasting some time.
In the Amateur League, Wemmys Weavers, Colinsburgh, Star, Aberdour, Burntisland Shipyard, Savoy, King George.
Pitreavie always postponed because a dog had a leak on it!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 23:32

The Whirlbut Street pitch I mentioned might not have been a fully marked pitch, maybe just a play park with a decent stretch of grass good for a 7-a-side game. But it did have goalposts for I remember crashing a Tommy Gemmell effort off the bar! What emerges from all the posts is that any football ability picked up was usually in spite of the facilities provided. The top surfaces seem to have been Pitreavie and Rosyth CS which were not open to the public unless hired, and would have employed a dedicated groundsman jealously guarding the playing surfaces.

The next time the SFA appoints a ‘Football Czar’ vowing to make Scotland a top football nation I would like that person to have a good look at grassroots level. The basic grammar of the game is picked up very early in small sided kickabouts, or in the case of Zinedine Zidane not so small: he remembers playing in courtyards after school when 5-a-side contests ended up 20-a- side as the older lads and even adults returning from work joined in. If every Scottish school was required to have an all weather playing surface and be open, free to the public, until 6pm every evening then the SFA coaches might have better material to work with.
And some of the revenue collected from TV rights and sponsorships can be invested so that every district has a senior groundsman committed to upgrading and maintaining standard size pitches for competitive fixtures. Good news for Wellwood and North Queensferry amongst others.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 23:42

I think there was a properly marked pitch there at some point as I vaguely remember playing a game there once and not having a clue it existed before I played there.

Would have been second half of the 90s are possibly early 2000s.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 07:50

Raymie, I am 67 and still going strong!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 08:55

Thinking about this last night and the main learning was the "pitch" at the back of the shops at Heath Rd. Dollytown.

Jumpers for goalposts, 14 a side, started on a Sunday afternoon and continued till dusk, all age groups.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 11:19

I was at Dunfermline High in the 90's and Whirlbut was basically an extension of our playing fields.Used to walk through there on my way home and there wasn't a pitch there at that time.There was a play park that looked like it had been there for some time and no room for a full sized football pitch.The only place I could think where there may have been room for a full sized pitch is where the tennis club currently sits?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 13:29

There's was a pitch in Inverkeithing down the bottom of spencerfield as the road bends round to old Barr Crescent and Fraser Ave - its set up on the hill with a big fence around it - spent many a day in my younger days up there - no changing facilities etc so I never seen it used for any teams but me and the lads always had at least 20 a side on the go

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 18:33

Quote:

Townsvillepar, Fri 14 Feb 07:50

Raymie, I am 67 and still going strong!

Doubt I would have played with you. You’re too old !!

Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Fri 14 Feb 18:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 21:17

Bon Accord Park, Culross. Look up the park from the village end the opposite goalposts are to one side. Field can be marked out for 2 pitches. Grass is good but ball can go in a salt water pond. Best pitch in a park in Dunfermline is the new Robertson Road playing field opposite the Hospital.

Bluebell Polka

Post Edited (Fri 14 Feb 21:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Feb 07:19

Raymie
I am too old for a lot of things!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net