DAFC.net
Home 09 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 StevieG on Referees
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 07:10

Most managers prefer not to be drawn on referee's performances after a game, particularly if their team has lost, as they could end up being fined and/or suspended for criticising them.

Gerrard was quite clever in speaking out after his team won yesterday, as he couldn't be accused of sour grapes, but I have to wonder why he felt it necessary to criticise Euan Anderson so publicly. Surely he could have just gone into his dressing room after the game and made his points privately?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51524791

Were his post match comments merely replies to leading questions by the media or were they a thinly veiled warning to Anderson and other Scottish refs that they must show a bit more deference to the Ibrox club in future games or their performances will be dissected in public for all to see?

I wonder if there's any chance he'll be called up to explain his comments? I'd bet money that if someone like Stevie Crawford or Dick Campbell were to similarly publicly criticise a ref's performance, they'd be heading through to Glasgow on the Monday after the game.

Maybe not Neil Lennon though..............

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Mon 17 Feb 07:11)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: StevieG on Referees
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 07:27

Usual old firm skullduggery, blame and finger pointing. Mr Gerrard has been so well trained already. Pure and under deflection and this continued attempt to create victimhood. Something the old rangers used to label their ugly sisters with.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 07:41

Yeah, I remember being quite surprised at how quickly Gerrard bought into the whole siege mentality thing of rangers...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 07:58

I have a cousins who supports Rangers and they feel they have not been getting the rub of the green in some cases. Once you are aware of what they are grumbling about it is more noticeable. However, each case where there is a decision to be made I have felt it has NOT been a bad call by the ref. Contentious, yes, but I think the ref made the best call to keep games running. Do The fans have a right to grumble - yes, but they should maybe start to pay attention to their own teams defensive frailties.
The problem The Rangers have is that they are not playing well and have to blame someone and who else can they blame apart from themselves.
The issue with this case is that Livingston may be a “small” club but looking at their home stats, they are a very good team. Something Stevie G probably failed to clearly acknowledge to his supporters how good a team they are.
So a thorough romping of a small town team did not happen and therefore the burden comes back to Stevie G.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 08:38

I'm no Rangers fan but I get frustrated when a goal that should have stood for any team gets chopped off wrongly for offside. The offside rule is impossible to apply unless VAR I used - the human eye/brain cannot get these marginal decisions correct with any consistency, consequently the ref/linesman is guessing. The handball in question, in my opinion, should not have been a penalty because it was accidental. I know the rule says differently but I do not believe that accidental handball should result in a foul. Watched a Hamilton player sent-off for an accidental handball on sportscene last night. Sent off, game turned in Hearts favour and a lengthy suspension for an accident brush of the ball against his arm. The rules need to be looked at and I can understand Gerrard's frustration.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 10:25

Quote:

1985Par, Mon 17 Feb 08:38

I'm no Rangers fan but I get frustrated when a goal that should have stood for any team gets chopped off wrongly for offside. The offside rule is impossible to apply unless VAR I used - the human eye/brain cannot get these marginal decisions correct with any consistency, consequently the ref/linesman is guessing. The handball in question, in my opinion, should not have been a penalty because it was accidental. I know the rule says differently but I do not believe that accidental handball should result in a foul. Watched a Hamilton player sent-off for an accidental handball on sportscene last night. Sent off, game turned in Hearts favour and a lengthy suspension for an accident brush of the ball against his arm. The rules need to be looked at and I can understand Gerrard's frustration.

I get Gerrard's frustration, but why not just express his disappointment to the ref privately? I think going public makes it suspiciously like he's got an ulterior motive. Of course it could have the opposite effect and the ref could give Therangers even less decisions next time.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 10:27

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-robertson-raves-rangers-kids-21510485

John Robertson was absolutely scathing about the ref in his game yesterday. Is he trying to foster a seige and victimhood mentality at his club as well?

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 10:37

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 17 Feb 10:27

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-robertson-raves-rangers-kids-21510485

John Robertson was absolutely scathing about the ref in his game yesterday. Is he trying to foster a seige and victimhood mentality at his club as well?

TOWK, nobody's suggesting the refereeing at Ibrox was perfect yesterday - when do they ever please everybody? How many managers slate the ref's performance so publicly and get away with it?

Do you think StevieG will be called up to explain his comments?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 10:54

Well we have to see what happens with Robertson as his comments went much further than Gerrrard's. I really don't think what Gerrard said was all that unusual. If you listen to Sportsound on a Saturday you'll hear many a manager saying something similar when they have been on the wrong end of decisions.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 11:01

Well, Stevie, just introduce VAR in Scotland, then these offside decisions will be called correctly?

Regarding handball, here is the problem. On Saturday, I think the Hamilton player deliberately used his arm, as he knew the Hearts player was going to latch onto it.

I have not seen the incident from yesterday's game, but whenever a rule is open to interpretation, you will get controversy and inconsistency.

The only way to get consistency is to rule that if the ball strikes your hand, accidental or not, then it's a foul.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 11:07

Rangers have repeatedly called for var to be introduced into a Scottish football. Certain other clubs are opposed to it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 11:53

Is Stevie going to mention the performance of the officials in the game for his under 21s against Inverness - they appeared to bend over backwards to try and give them a hand - a laughable sending off for an Inverness player and a very debatable “goal” ruled out for offside when it appeared the ball through came from the Rangers defender.
He is very good at highlighting decisions against him - it would be great to hear him occasionally talking about those that go in his favour (in fairness this would apply to every manager - I’ll bet every single manager and supporter thinks their team doesn’t get a fair rub of the green over the course of the season).
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 12:11

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 17 Feb 10:27

Towk, I have to confess I didn't open the link before replying to your post and without doubt Robertson is way OTT and deserves any punishment coming his way. It won't help the conspiracy theorists like me if Robbo is disciplined and StevieG gets off Scot free..... 😉

Seriously though, Gerrard is the manager of a club with a far bigger lunatic fringe than ICT and he should be aware that his comments are far more likely to have unwanted consequences than anything said by Robertson.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 12:16

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 17 Feb 11:07

Rangers have repeatedly called for var to be introduced into a Scottish football. Certain other clubs are opposed to it.

I'm surprised any Scottish club would want VAR introduced after seeing the hysteria it has produced in the EPL.

By "certain other clubs" I assume you mean Celtic? Surely none of the other clubs would welcome it on the grounds of costs? Most of the other 10 Premiership clubs struggle to break even as it is, do they not?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 12:19

I just think that if Gerrard or even Lennon criticise the referee it gets analysed and turned into more than it is. There won't be a weekend that goes by when some manager criticises the officials but because they aren't the Old Firm it doesn't get the same amount of coverage or analysis. Of course it doesn't help that throughout the season the Old Firm probably get a higher proportion of the marginal calls going in their favour and so really they have less to complain about. Now of course var would help to even that out which I probably why the half of the current old firm who are on top don't want the status quo changed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 12:20

"I'm no Rangers fan but I get frustrated when a goal that should have stood for any team gets chopped off wrongly for offside."

Or when a goal is awarded that should have been called offside.

Linesman get it right in the vast majority of cases IMO.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 13:12

The one who knocks has it spot on - No one has really analysed John Robertson (ICT) comments which were far more scathing and personal towards their ref yesterday.
Managers and clubs have spoken privately about referees for years without any change, and old firm managers especially get unfairly criticised for it.
I also agree refs and linespersons get it right most of the time, but most of the time isnt acceptable anymore.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 15:31

That's true of any walk of life where different people represent governments, companies, groups of different scale, power influence...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 17:13

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net