DAFC.net
Home 04 April 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Superb from DAFC
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 17:00

I had noticed on twitter a young lad was going through a tough time, and his parents had reached out to Gary Dempsy on twitter to see if he could send him a wee note to tell him to keep the head up, to which he did and face timed him etc.. I seen SC has too passed on a message, Mental health is not only a huge concern in Adults but also young kids too..

https://twitter.com/officialdafc/status/1229800275583623169/video/1

Post Edited (Tue 18 Feb 17:02)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Superb from DAFC
Topic Originator: Scrimmers249  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 17:06

thats my boy..... having a really tough time at school just now. I am so overwhelmed by what Gary, the club and SC have done, not to forget Lee Bullen who also sent a message. absolutely fantastic gesture from all concerened. I really didn't expect this at all, just wanted a little positive message from GD as he does a lot of that now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 17:10

Really hits home how much of a community/family club we are!

Hope your wee one enjoys his night on Tuesday!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 17:26

Wee lump in ma throat here scrimmers... Hope your boy gets through the tough time ...Well done to all involved at our great club
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 17:43

Great to see these messages.

Social media has taken a bit of a pounding this last week but it can be used as a really powerful force for good.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thai/Coalville Par  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 17:59

We may often think our football team is poor, but our community team is fantastic.

Peter L
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 18:29

Well done Pars!
Don’t give it up Ollie, players peak at different ages!

Post Edited (Wed 19 Feb 11:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 18:33

It's just one of the reasons I'm proud to be a Par.

Best wishes to Ollie and family.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 19:10

Fantastic from the club and hope this cheers Ollie up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 20:34

Brilliant gesture from a great Club, COYP!!🏁🏁🏁
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Scrimmers249  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 20:43

I think it’s fair to say after a tough couple of days for my little boy he is on top of the world tonight and see a proper smile on his face for 1st time in a couple of weeks....a huge thanks to the club and a special thanks to Gary Dempster who started this off for me and has made a message and given Ollie a personal gift... what a true legend and a top bloke
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 21:09

Brilliant from the club, but truly outstanding example Gary Dempsey is setting. Have seen him post a few things about mental health, encouraging people to speak up and get the support they need.

Just seen Gary’s video for Ollie as well and hopefully the boy takes this on board and his spirits are boosted a bit. Great to see the club and ex-players doing this for a young fan. Scrimmers, I hope your boy gets a bit more confidence and sticks at it. Real shame to see that he is so down and dealing with this at such a young age. He should be enjoying playing with his friends and learning about the game he loves, not getting down about his abilities.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 21:13

Well done to all involved.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 21:56

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Tue 18 Feb 21:13

Well done to all involved.

Absolutely.

Enjoy your night against Inverness, Ollie

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 22:21

That's fantastic. Hope the wee man ignores the bullies and continues to play football and enjoy it. All the best.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 22:41

Hope he has a great night DJ x

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 23:33

Magnificent. Kudos to those who organised this.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 08:03

Lovely to see the positive responses from Gary Dempsey, Neville Southall, Lee Bullen and Stevie Crawford.

As the ex-pros all advise - keep practicing Ollie- The great golfer Gary Player once said something along the lines of "the harder I practice the luckier I get". To get good at most things in life takes a lot of focused practice (often 1,000 hours plus). If you read Matthew Sayed's book's "Bounce" you will see he makes the point that we shouldn't constrain ourselves by wrongly thinking we can only become good at something if we are born with the right genetic make up (i.e. have natural talent) or that social background matters. In the book, he put his success as an international table tennis champion and Olympian down primarily to hard work and many hours of focused practice, arguing that innate talent while helpful is over-rated. He also looked into many supposed child prodigies, and surprise surprise he found that most of them had put in a huge number of hours more of practice than any of their peers from a young age.

In life, always remember that you can't do any more than your best. If that still isn't enough to reach the level you had hoped to achieve then so be it. You can always be proud that you gave it your best shot. No one can reasonably ask for more. You will always get respect for doing your best from the people that love you like your parents and any genuine friends. Difficult as it may seem - ignore the negative opinions of bullies and overly critical trolls - as they really don't matter. Focus on the positives and have fun. You can choose to be the best you can be - even if in some things you may not reach a high standard. As someone who was a more natural sprinter, I am a long-distance runner's ars*; but that didn't stop me from completing the 89km Comrades Ultra Marathon three times in my 50s or from having a lot of fun now trail-running with friends in my 60s. You don't have to be as good as Tiger Woods to enjoy a game of golf.

Your dad cared enough to write to Gary Dempsey in the first place, and for me his evident love and concern for you; and the opinions of four very good footballers who made it in the professional game count A LOT. These are the kind of people and role models to listen to. Also so nice to see so many others writing in support on Twitter and Dotnet.

Remember even if you end up failing to reach quite the standard you hoped for at some things in life, despite giving it a real good go, that is NOT a problem. Becoming as good as you can be at something (even if that is not particularly good) is a SUCCESS NOT A FAILURE. Rather, not being prepared to give things a go for fear of failing, or fear of criticism by others, is a problem that keeps many from achieving their potential in life. As you get older you will realise that sometimes in life you learn more from setbacks and failures anyway.

We all can't be world-class at everything we try or do, but with a positive attitude and hard work, you probably can become very good at some things. We also don't have to be very good at other things to still have a lot of fun - like my trail running.

Good luck with the practicing, and I hope you have a great time as guest of the club.

Post Edited (Wed 19 Feb 08:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 08:24

Scrimmers here's hoping your lad has far more frequent good days, start of a new phase ✌✊

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 08:47

This is brilliant. I saw it on Twitter and Gary is great at highlighting issues and the need to talk.

It is vital that you raise the issue that it is not just adults. There isn't anything more upsetting than your kids and kids in general going through a tough time. People forget kids have feelings too.
Hope the wee man gets a great reception on Tuesday.
Would be nice if the club can invite Gary over too.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 10:59

Superb gestures from these guys and hope this gives a boost of confidence to the laddie.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 11:22

Some wonderful life-affirming comments on here and on Twitter in support of young Ollie and his family. Well done to Gary Dempsey for showing such genuine concern for the lad.

Once a Par, always a Par.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 11:29

Well done to all involved,

Ollie keep your chin up wee man and dont let the idiots get you down, Your family obviously love you , so dont bottle things up and talk to your parents about anything that is bothering you.

Enjoy Tuesday and I hope today is the start of you feeling better.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 14:14

What an inspiring post from Rhino Pars at 8.03.

Rhino, have you heard Tim Henman's reply to a brash young journalist who asked him how,it felt to be retiring, having won absolutely nothing when he'd just played his last competitive tennis match?

Henman took him through every set of every tournament quarter and semi final he'd lost, before declaring "In every one of these matches I was the best I could have been!" before heading for the dressing rooms, leaving a sheepish young journalist open mouthed and hopefully we'll embarrassed.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Feb 09:30

No I hadn't heard about that GG. Sadly so typical of too many people who seem to prefer pulling people down and criticising them, rather than celebrating and giving them credit for what they have achieved.

Henman became one of UK's best male tennis players in the last hundred years but that obviously still wasn't good enough for that reporter.

No doubt some would like to criticise Andy Murray for not winning more Grand Slams and losing eight Grand Slam finals - ignoring the fact other great players like Federer, Djokovic and Nadal were playing in the same era. Murray won 46 singles titles including three Grand Slam titles, 14 Masters 1000 Series titles (placing him ninth on the all-time list), two gold medals at the Olympics, and a title at the ATP Finals. He also had to get the monkey of his back of no British male winning Wimbledon since Fred Perry in 1936. Pretty impressive record.

On another issue - Last year one great lesson I learned on an investment course I attended (I largely invest myself for my own retirement) came from what an old revered Japanese investor had recommended to our primary lecturer and to companies he invested in - namely that everyone should try to be thankful 1,000 times a day. Now that is impossible for most people to do, but even just trying to be thankful for five things every day puts you in a positive and happier frame of mind (if you can remember to do it!) and ready to take on what you have to do that day.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Thu 20 Feb 11:52

What a great thread (and especially the post from RhinoPars).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 20 Feb 21:17

Great to see the Press pick this up too. Also great to see social media used for good. All too often it gives bullies the exposure they crave so fantastic seeing it work the other way.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 20 Feb 21:32

Quote G.G.

Henman took him through every set of every tournament quarter and semi final he'd lost, before declaring "In every one of these matches I was the best I could have been!" before heading for the dressing rooms, leaving a sheepish young journalist open mouthed and hopefully we'll embarrassed.

I used to get so annoyed with the Press back then G.G. They always labelled Henman as a bottler
He was a great tennis player who always gave his all but met a better player on the day
Unfortunately the Tennis Press saw that as a failure rather than a great achievement

Post Edited (Thu 20 Feb 21:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Thu 20 Feb 23:20

Absolutely superb, hopefully this will turn young Ollie’s life around and he won’t have to worry about bullies again. What an amazing gift from Gary - giving away something that must be so important to him. I’ve noticed there are messages from Crawford, Lee Bullen and even Neville Southall! It really makes you smile to see so many people rallying around, wanting to make Ollie feel better. You never know, he could be playing for us one day after this!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Feb 04:36

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/18246835.inside-tomorrows-dunfermline-press-ollie-beats-bullies/
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Fri 21 Feb 08:53

Bullies are cowards. Always have been. Always will be.

All the best to the wee man. I can tell you from personal experience that it will definitely get better.

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Fri 21 Feb 19:54

See there is a kickabout with wee Ollieon 23rd at Carnegie Leisure Centre and Garry Dempsey etc will be there. If you want your boy/girl to go then you need to e mail the pars foundation.
Brilliant from the club and wee Ollie will have friends for life.👏👏
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Feb 21:59

I've never been on Twitter until yesterday and was reduced to tears when reading and watching videos today, on one of the videos Gary Dempsey was talking about trying to get a couple of ex pars to the kick about with Ollie.

Kudos to All involved

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 10:03

I see he has been invited to be a mascot at the Scotland v Israel play off. Hope the wee man enjoys the day and well done to the SFA for organising.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 11:07

That is great news FBLH, glad to hear Ollies story has touched the hearts of so many people and Ollie realises there are good people around and that the world isn't just full of @r$€holes

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 16:22

Scrimmers did Ollie enjoy his night?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 17:00

DUNFERMLINE
VIDEO

When @officialdafc fan Ollie Young wrote a letter about being bullied for his football skills, former midfielder @Dempz8 stepped forward to organise a dream day for the young Pars supporter https://t.co/ZgvQ9Uo5FV

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 18:01

going to be on STV news shortly
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 27 Feb 09:18

https://news.stv.tv/east-central/boy-bullied-for-being-rubbish-at-football-gains-team-support?top&&__twitter_impression=true

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 27 Feb 09:36

The onions I was cutting up last night must have been strong ones...they seem to be affecting my eyes just now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 16:53

This heartwarming story has made the BBC now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51803989
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 17:09

Nice one, those onions are very infectious Bandy !
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 20:49

Superb by all involved, Hope your feeling much better Ollie, Fer feck sake bandy stop cutting they feckin onions

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsPryde  
Date:   Thu 12 Mar 16:01

Flaming Onions are definitely strong!!!
And the shops are out of loo roll to help with watering eyes!!

Ollie lad, you keep smiling and playing football.

==============
Have your say, Join the PST Today

Proud to be a Par

"If you don't want to wear the jersey, stay in the dressing room": Norrie McCathie
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net