DAFC.net
Home 09 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Jimmy Greaves documentary
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 18 Feb 21:57

On tonight at 1030. BT Sport
Should be a good watch

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Jimmy Greaves documentary
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 07:05

I watched this this morning and really enjoyed it.

Greaves played in a bygone age, when players didn't look after themselves very well and clearly weren't as fit as their modern counterparts, but he was such a gifted and intelligent footballer.

Numerous players from yesteryear have contributed to the programme and it's obvious that they all had the greatest admiration for him. Glen Hoddle said he became a better player as a result of watching Greaves. He noticed that Greaves was constantly looking around to see where team mates and opponents were during the game, so that whenever he received the ball, he knew exactly what he was going to do with it. This, said Hoddle, helped him to develop his own 'radar'.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 09:24

When Spurs signed him in late 1961 the fee was £99,999.00 - apparently it was thought a first ever £100K transfer would put too much pressure on Greavsie !!!

A bargain !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbAzStrSTcM
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 10:53

''When Spurs signed him in late 1961 the fee was £99,999.00 - apparently it was thought a first ever £100K transfer would put too much pressure on Greavsie !!!

A bargain !!!''

I've read his book and now seen the documentary, VEE and my overriding impression is that Greaves didn't do pressure - he was so laid back, the only other footballer who was equally relaxed was Slim Jim Baxter.

Come to think of it, the later Fat JB was still very laid back. :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 19:36

< >
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 20:39

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 22:21

That looks like Fergie next to Jim Baxter with the skipping rope.

Greaves was a natural, a boy who once scored 9 goals at youth level against a London district team with Bobby Moore playing centre half. Messi is a good comparison because Greaves had excellent close control when moving at speed which allowed him to slip past defenders. His cool finishing was just an extension of that natural ability. He was a one off and only Fowler, briefly, looked as good.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 22:34

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 22:35

It is Fergie Sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 22:41

BPP,

I recognised his knobbly knees.

Fergie was a damn good striker, possibly the greatest penalty box player the Pars have ever had. But you can tell by his skipping body position he was never going to be as good as Jimmy Greaves. He's looking at his feet, whereas JB is looking ahead.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 23:31

Quote:

Pars Kebab, Wed 19 Feb 22:34

Often the argument is made that players of old would not be able compete in the modern game due to the levels of professionalism and athleticism that are involved. I think that’s utter nonsense . Imagine how good would George Best have been if he trained like today’s players.

Impossible to say, would George Best have made the best out of the improved training and professionalism? Or would defenders with increased speed and power coped better with a Best who still would've had a penchant for the beer and women? Best didn't have the best mentality, hence why he was out of United by 28.

Paddy McCourt could've been a superstar in the 70s without the increased athleticism.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Wed 19 Feb 23:33

Not watched the show yet.

However I was surprised last week listing to TalkSport when his son was interviewed that he hasn’t and formal recognition. They were starting a campaign to get him a official recognition, personally can’t see why he hasn’t a Sir.

1. football
2. Entertainment
3. Charity
4. Speaking out about his alcoholism

Anyone of them?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Feb 06:24

Quote:

Pars Kebab, Wed 19 Feb 22:34

Often the argument is made that players of old would not be able compete in the modern game due to the levels of professionalism and athleticism that are involved. I think that’s utter nonsense . Imagine how good would George Best have been if he trained like today’s players.

I reckon that if a 15 year old Best, or Greaves for that matter, had arrived at Old Trafford in the late 80s, Sir Fergie would have ensured that they stayed on the straight and narrow and both would have had much longer and fulfilling careers.

The likes of Beckham would have had very limited opportunities in the first team and can you imagine a front pairing of Greaves and Cantona?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 20 Feb 13:29

That photo of Sir Alex and Jim Baxter would have been taken during pre season training in the early summer of 1969 - Baxter re-joined Rangers in May and Fergie headed to Falkirk in October of that year.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net