DAFC.net
Home 09 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Goals Direct From Corners
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 16:22

Watching East Fife v Stranraer today (someone's got to).
East Fife are 4-0 up, with their fourth goal coming direct from a wind-assisted corner kick - the first time I've seen this live for many a year.

Any memorable ones you recall?

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc

Post Edited (Sat 22 Feb 17:24)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Goals Direct From Corners
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 16:53

Burnley did it last week at Southampton.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 17:10

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Sat 22 Feb 16:53

Burnley did it last week at Southampton.

Only because Danny Inges conveniently moved aside to let it in. ☺

Stanza, I can do better.

Alex Edwards curled a free kick inside the far post from the edge of the box, on the goal line - so it was like a shortened version of a corner. I can't remember if it was v Dinamo Zagreb or Olimpiakos.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Sat 22 Feb 18:22)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 17:20

"Any memorable ones you recall?"

My father (who came from Falkirk) was at a Celtic cup visit to Brockville back in the 1950s when Charlie Tully scored direct from a corner kick.

It was disallowed for some reason - so the bold Charlie plonked the retake direct into goal again.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/other_football/13245799.now-you-know-tully-scored-direct-from-a-corner-twice/

Incidentally, Jimmy Delaney of Falkirk was father of Pat who was a very decent Pars player in the 1960s.

Jimmy is usually best associated with a long standing unique record of having won a Scottish cup medal (Celtic), England (Man.Unt.) and Ireland (Derry City) - I think that has now been equalled ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 17:23

"I can't remember if it was v Dinamo Zagreb or Olimpiakos."

The latter - despite your novel spelling !!!

At the north west corner.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 17:34

I remember as a wee boy hearing about the Charlie Tully goal that VEE mentions.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 17:41

Derek Fleming away to Dundee in the 4-4 game. Early 90s?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 17:43

Not a goal, but did George Best not hit the bar at East End Park from a corner from one side, and when the ball was cleared for another corner, trotted across to do the exact same from the other side?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 17:56

I could be talking absolute rubbish and it wouldn't be the first time but did we not concede one or possibly two direct from corners with Westie in goals in the 90s? I thought one of them he actually carried back over the line in the process of trying to catch it although that might have just been a cross.

Post Edited (Sat 22 Feb 17:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 17:57

It happened at Arbroath today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 18:01

Charlie Mulgrew has managed it four times (at least). Once for Celtic and three for Blackburn, possibly more.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 18:06

"It happened at Arbroath today."

Assisted by the wind from the sea ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 18:06

My first one was Colin O'Brien at Brockville about 1979 to equalise.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 18:16

The Derek Fleming one was when we beat Dundee 3-2 at Dens and was the winning goal.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 18:23

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 22 Feb 17:23

"I can't remember if it was v Dinamo Zagreb or Olimpiakos."

The latter - despite your novel spelling !!!

At the north west corner.

Do you mean Dynamo Zagreb or Olympiacos, VEE? 😉

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 18:28

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 22 Feb 18:06

"It happened at Arbroath today."

Assisted by the wind from the sea ?

No it didn't, as the game was abandoned, so it will be expunged from history, meaning it will only exist as an imaginary of your figment. ☹

Incidently, which Scottish international scored 6 goals in an FA Cup tie, but couldn't prevent his team being knocked out?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 19:11

Easy - Denis Law.

v Luton Town (?)

It was them Greeks from Athens, no matter how you spell their name !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 19:45

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 22 Feb 19:11

Easy - Denis Law.

v Luton Town (?)

It was them Greeks from Athens, no matter how you spell their name !!!

Aye well done VEE. Law scored 6 for Man City v Luton before the match was abandoned. City lost the replay 1-0.

In some countries, abandoned games are resumed, rather than replayed, so that the goals scored and time elapsed are not erased.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 21:20

City lost the replay 3-1 and Denis Law scored again
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 7 Eleven  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 21:33

Toni Kroose scored direct from a corner for Real Madrid recently, which was particularly good as it was meant unlike Wallace wind assisted effort today.

https://youtu.be/8M3hAppMow8

You couldnae make it up... oh, many already have!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eric par  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 21:53

Only one I remember seeing in person was at Boghead. Dumbarton v Rangers, Ted McMinn scored it in a 4-2 victory to Rangers. Must have been about 1984, 85.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 21:53

The Edwards goal against Dinamo Zagreb came from the penalty spot according to Parsdatabase. His strike against Olympiakos was a terrific Garrincha style free kick in line with the penalty spot but 10 yards outside the box on the right. Edwards hit across the ball with the outside of his right foot and the ball cleared the defensive wall then faded back to wrong foot the keeper, ending up high in the near side of the net. It was Brazilian technique.

Tully’s corner kicks are part of the folklore I heard as a boy. The Celtic supporters invaded the pitch after his efforts apparently, the only time in history fans broke into the gulag that was Brockville rather than attempted to break out of it.

Suarez of Liverpool twice tried to score direct from a corner when he played for Uruguay against England in the World Cup in 2014. On one occasion Joe Hart had to lunge across his line to block the fast, low inswinger with his foot since there was no defender on the near post. Suarez still managed to score both goals in a famous 2-1 victory. Unless it’s a fluke, there is only a certain gallus type of player who will attempt to score direct.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 21:56

George Best was particularly good at this. Taken from an article on him;

George Best used to score direct from corners, bending it wickedly into the top corner. I saw him do it for Northern Ireland against Albania. Bobby Robson once described this as a fluke. A week or two later, George's United met Bobby Robson's Ipswich. A corner was awarded. Best put it straight into the net and then wandered over towards the Ipswich bench to wave to Bobby. Fair play to Bobby who stood up and applauded!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 22:54

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Sat 22 Feb 18:06

My first one was Colin O'Brien at Brockville about 1979 to equalise.

That was going to be my suggestion but I was thinking it was Kevin Hegarty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 23:49

<<I could be talking absolute rubbish and it wouldn't be the first time but did we not concede one or possibly two direct from corners with Westie in goals in the 90s? I thought one of them he actually carried back over the line in the process of trying to catch it although that might have just been a cross.>>

The goal where Westie carried it back over the line was a looping header if I remember rightly. It was against Clyde towards the end of the season, there was a big crowd (over 10,000) and if we had won, we would have been promoted. It ended up 1-1 and we had to wait a week or two for John Watson to score against Meadowbank to secure us promotion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 07:29

Quote:

sammer, Sat 22 Feb 21:53

The Edwards goal against Dinamo Zagreb came from the penalty spot according to Parsdatabase. His strike against Olympiakos was a terrific Garrincha style free kick in line with the penalty spot but 10 yards outside the box on the right. Edwards hit across the ball with the outside of his right foot and the ball cleared the defensive wall then faded back to wrong foot the keeper, ending up high in the near side of the net. It was Brazilian technique.

I hesitate to contradict Sammer on any historical footballing incident, as he appears to be blessed with the power of total recall and is well nigh infallible in this field, so perhaps I'm misremembering the positìon of Edwards' free kick, but I have discussed it with other Pars fans of my generation who were at the game and behind the goal and we agreed that Edwards scored from an "impossible" angle. Crucially, John Fairgreave, the self-styled "Voice of Football", writing in the Daily Mail, described the angle as "hopelessly acute", which may mean that for once, our Man in Moscow is a little wide of the mark..... 😉

With regards to Edwards' penalties, my recollection is that he always stroked them to the keeper's right, so accurately that they invariably kissed the inside of the post on their way into the net. Curiously, I once remarked on this to the man himself and he rubbished my memory saying he used to thump them in but I reckon he was taking the pith.....😊

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 07:43

Alex Edwards goal from near the North West flag was against Olympiakos - it was as near to scoring from corner kick as you'll get.

I mind it clearly.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 08:52

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 23 Feb 07:43

Alex Edwards goal from near the North West flag was against Olympiakos - it was as near to scoring from corner kick as you'll get.

I mind it clearly.

Was it not at the junction of the box and the goal line, or as near as damn it, VEE?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 08:59

Amazing how our brains recollect exactly the same incident differently, and we are all sure that we are correct.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 09:16

Quote:

Stoo, Sat 22 Feb 17:57

It happened at Arbroath today.

Was it an own goal direct from a corner, can only imagine what the wind would be doing up there today. 😁😁😁
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 09:32

Quote:

ipswichpar, Sun 23 Feb 08:59

Amazing how our brains recollect exactly the same incident differently, and we are all sure that we are correct.

That's why it's sometimes almost impossible to convict someone of a crime, when there were several eyewitnesses present at the scene.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 10:13

Wasn't it John MacKenzie of the Daily Express who was the self-styled 'Voice of Football'', GGR? He was caricatured in the early days of 'Only an Excuse' as 'The Voice of a Football'.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 12:12

"Was it not at the junction of the box and the goal line, or as near as damn it, VEE?"

Is it not in the Glory Years video footage ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 14:25

"Was it not at the junction of the box and the goal line, or as near as damn it, VEE?"

Is it not in the Glory Years video footage?''

Where did you learn to answer a question with a question, young fella?

''Wasn't it John MacKenzie of the Daily Express who was the self-styled 'Voice of Football'', GGR? He was caricatured in the early days of 'Only an Excuse' as 'The Voice of a Football'.''

I was a paperboy back then, wee eck and I used to read all the back pages before I finished delivering them to the flats just before West End Park at the lower end of Pittencrieff St. and I clearly recall Fairgreave's photo and his signature on his articles.

If you Google it, you'll see that several other sportswriters and commentators have been accorded the same accolade, including JAMES Alexander Gordon (Is that who you meant?) and Martin Tyler.

Of course nowadays it has to be Chico Young.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 14:37

It was definitely John MacKenzie of the Daily Express who was called 'The Voice of Football'. I found it by Googling but couldn't copy it to prove it. Fairgrieve was a much better writer but I don't recall him having a signature.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 15:26

I did it twice in the same game at woodmill high versus a team from kirkcaldy then went to play sat ams in the afternoon and did it again....against the same goalkeeper from the game in the morning.

Safe to say it was all down to wind assist and my new predators at the time. Lol. Didnt mean any of them

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 15:39

Quote:

OzPar, Sat 22 Feb 23:49

<<I could be talking absolute rubbish and it wouldn't be the first time but did we not concede one or possibly two direct from corners with Westie in goals in the 90s? I thought one of them he actually carried back over the line in the process of trying to catch it although that might have just been a cross.>>

The goal where Westie carried it back over the line was a looping header if I remember rightly. It was against Clyde towards the end of the season, there was a big crowd (over 10,000) and if we had won, we would have been promoted. It ended up 1-1 and we had to wait a week or two for John Watson to score against Meadowbank to secure us promotion.

John Watson was just before my time so it wasn't that one.

I think there were two similar incidents within a couple of weeks where Wetie either got beaten from a corner or carried the ball backwards into the net but my memory is terrible so I could very well be wrong.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 18:55

Ipswichpar and GG are right to warn about the fallibility of eye witness testimony, especially years after the event. It’s possible I have conflated a famous Garrincha free kick and an Alex Edwards one against Olympiakos to produce False Memory Syndrome. However I will still swear under oath that the goal was not the result of a lucky cross which eluded all the players in the box and ended up in the net: Edwards drove across the ball with pace and it ended up high inside the net at the near post.

Season 1968-69 was something of a goal blitz for Edwards, a man known for making rather than scoring goals. No longer the penalty taker he still managed 10 goals from open play, one being a beautifully struck daisy cutter from outside the box which left Raith Rovers’ Bobby Reid pawing at the ground in an attempt to deal with the late swerve on the shot.

As for penalties I concur with GG; Edwards was a very accurate striker of a football and backed his ability to place the ball just inside the goalkeeper’s right hand post. There were two problems as a result. First of all the keepers knew which way to dive and secondly Edwards was working to very fine margins. This resulted in the miss against Anderlecht when Edwards’ penalty deflected off the inside of the post and rebounded back into play via the goalkeeper’s head.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 22:59

Wasn’t the Anderlecht keeper knocked out cold by the ball whacking back off the post ?

Trappaniers (spelling ?) - he was Belgian national goalie for a long time, might even be their record appearance goalkeeper ?

I have an idea that he came on as a sub in an international match when all the outfielders were also Anderlecht and became a record due to this remarkable occurrence.

I also have a vague thought that he was in “Escape To Victory” - but that could be mince !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 23:42

Wow! You lot have some memories, I 'm 69 this year, and 1967 to 1970 are just a blur!! ✌✌✌
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 01:31

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 23 Feb 22:59

Wasn’t the Anderlecht keeper knocked out cold by the ball whacking back off the post ?

Trappaniers (spelling ?) - he was Belgian national goalie for a long time, might even be their record appearance goalkeeper ?

I have an idea that he came on as a sub in an international match when all the outfielders were also Anderlecht and became a record due to this remarkable occurrence.

I also have a vague thought that he was in “Escape To Victory” - but that could be mince !!!

The keeper on Escape to Victory was Sylvester Stallone, while apollo creed couldn't knock him out, maybe Edwards had more luck?

He appeared 11 times for Belgium, he did though join 10 other Anderlecht players in a game against the Netherlands though.

Passed away in 2016 apparently
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 08:55

The other keeper Grant.

I thought he had played more often for Belgium.

Van Himst was quality that game at EEP, that I do remember !!!

Post Edited (Mon 24 Feb 08:58)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net