DAFC.net
Home 09 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Could have been game over
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:04

3 good chances have gone a begging. Nisbet the biggest sinner with a free header from 6 yards

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Could have been game over
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:08

Aye, that's knocked 20 grand off his asking price too. A sitter. A card happy ref tonight too, could be a red card coming if this keeps up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:09

Sucker punch. Thought the player made it a foul and excellent free kick

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:09

And theres 1-0 Caley. Looked in from my viewpoint but a ballsy call for the linesman to give it. It was a cracking free kick to be fair.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:10

0-1 Doran free kick. VAR needed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:13

Thought it was a dive to win the free kick.
[IP address logged]

Initial reaction was I thought it was in

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  

That wasn't over the line
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  

I wonder if the whole ball crossed the line there.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:16

My initial thought was that it was in, if it was a pars free kick I'd be saying it was 100%in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:17

Was a great free kick though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:19

Number 28 diving again. I’d clean him right out

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:25

Decent chance for Nisbet again

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:35

We need to take our chances!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:38

Looked in from my seat in the north west but these things even themselves out....of course.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:38

Poor decision for the free kick that led to the goal. Boy was going down before anyone touched him. Looked more in than not but how the linesman can say it was definitely over is baffling.

Nothing in the game but we need to take our chances.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:53

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:55

Quote:

Pars Kebab, Tue 25 Feb 20:53

How are we playing ? I’d have thought we might lack a bit sharpness what with not having a game for awhile .

Should be winning by a couple, another great chance for Dow there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 20:59

End to end game .Pars tv finding it hard to keep up 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:11

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:13

Absolute peach

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:14

Magnificent strike from Dom Thomas!

1-1
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:17

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:19

With 45% possession we've had 16 shots to their 6 and 6 on target to their 1.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:20

I hate these feckers every time!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:20

1-2 ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:21

1-2 Walsh.

We have wasted so many opportunities that will likely cost us points.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  

Seems like we are really unlucky to be losing this. Have to take our chances though.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  

6 on target to their 2 now and obviously they've scored from both!!!☹
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:22

Morton beating ayr 2-1 now aswell puts us down to 7th
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:22

Standard when we play them
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:27

We never get the breaks against Caley. At the end of the day we are not good enough to challenge for promotion via the play offs.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:34

Can't beleive we've lost that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:39

Yet again, John Robertson has outsmarted a Pars manager. So many wasted opportunities by the Pars. Now we are 7th in the table.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:41

Out smarted?? Lots of clear cut chances created but not taken. Hardly a tactical master class by Robertson.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:48

Pars kebab, let your wee Celtic pal know he’s not!

Might be a player in there as he’s big and strong but finishing wise, Ive to be convinced

The premier teams think they lend us a player and he will be way above our standard but they have to consider their reserve teams don’t do well in the Biscuit cup so are they so good, look at Harry Cochrane was pretty poor for us yet Hearts were desperate to take him back, I can’t see why

Anyway I hope the lad proves me wrong but we looked better tonight when McGill came on
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:49

His subs were clever and at the right time. Sub scored the winner.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 21:56

Honestly if we had taken our goals in the first half then it’s a change in formation for 2nd half. Frustrating but 1st game back in a while so not bad.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 22:06

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 22:07

Thought we deserved at least a point. Pretty gutted that a team carrying absolute donkeys like McKay, Vincent and Rooney beat us.

On to Saturday now......🙈🙈🙈

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DayMan  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 22:08

Thought we played okay tonight. For most of the game we looked a lot like a team that hadn't played a game in nearly 4 weeks. Very rusty in front of goal.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 22:10

Basically I hate when we play ICT, we played ok, but they always seem to swing it.

A dodgy free kick and a deflection.

Didn't deserve to lose, a mad league.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 22:16

I think that just sucked all of the optimism right out of me.

Cant see us getting more than a point from the next 2 games and who knows how Thistle and Queens will be playing by the time we get them.

One deflection can cause all that. Fitbaw eh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 22:21

C’mon the better team won, Thistle defended well and won the midfield. Our midfield was out fought . Dow had a very quiet game and While Thomas scored an absolute peach his deliveries into the box were poor all night. When we equalised I said to my mate we would be doing well to hold on for a draw. Their keeper didnt have anything other than routine saves to make. We looked a couple of yards off the pace whole game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 22:37

We played into their strengths all night , we punted loads of high balls in where it should have been played on the deck
i actually thought For the first goal if Turner had just kicked the ball out the park the way he was facing instead of trying be clever and do a fancy pirouette and taking their player out in the process no foul no goal and we are still in the game saying that i wasn't convinced the ball was over the line , 2nd goal a deflection which was all our own doing too ,when are we going to learn not to keep backing off and allow the attacker a shot at goal !!
I thought a draw would have been a reasonable result, and tonight it certainly showed we hadn't kicked a ball in weeks , let's hope that's the rust off and we get a result against United on Saturday
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 22:54

oh how ive missed match days and this place after a game.....

thought a draw would have been a fair result and to lose with a massive deflection and the other "goal" is tough to take.
probably played better than I thought we would after not playing for 3 weeks but still well off our best and the lack of game time caught up with most of team through the second half as expected, hopefully we get the breaks on Saturday unlike tonight.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 23:05

Tough to lose that, but yet again it was partly down to not scoring when we were on top and had good chances. It's been a major failing this season.

Looked a dive at the free kick to me as well. Good free kick and it might have been over the line, it might not. Absolutely outrageous decision from the linesman to give it though, because there's no way he could possibly have been sure unless he was right at the corner flag, which he wasn't. If he was sure it was a goal, why did he not do the normal thing and point his flag down and run back towards the halfway line, instead of waiting a few seconds for the scramble in the box to be cleared before giving the goal by talking to the referee over the headset? Really strange decision.

On the whole we played pretty well and were a bit unlucky not to get something from it. Inverness probablay played the better football int eh first half but we had by far the better chances. Some good pressure in the second half too with a very good equaliser. Sometimes though, I don't think we adapt to games changing very well. I know htis is easy to say after how if turned out, but I did feel we got too sucked into attack and when they started going forward more at 1-1, it left us very open. Despite that, it did look a very lucky goal for the winner.

Good to see Kyle Turner playing well again. Hard going for him and Paton to play in that midfield but they both did well tonight and it was Turner's best game for a while. Probably our best player I thought. Not too impressed with either of our forwards tonight, and both annoyed me a bit with their pointing and moaning at everyone else, without really doing very much themselves.

The referee wasn't very good. I'm usualy accepting of referees getting things wrong when I get the feeling they understand the game, but he just didn't. A couple of pretty harsh bookings, while he seemed to miss every foul that wasn't absolutely blatant. Ashcroft was quite justified in going radge at him for missing the shove on him as the ball came across the box.

Disappointing loss, and Inverness do seem to be the one team we've played over the last decade where things have rarely gone out way. I thought it was a good game though, certainly one of the better ones this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 23:20

It amazed me how long it took to award their first goal. There had been a melee in the box which had been cleared before the referee signalled the goal. There was another strange one in the first half where the ref let play go on then blew for handball against Dow, I think, after he'd run about 10 yards, presumably on the advice of the stand-side assistant. The communication between the officials seemed very poor. I also thought the ref was a bit quick with the cards in the first half and let worse go in the second half.

Unfortunately we didn't punish their errors. I think they had three shots - the free kick, the deflected goal and the shot that hit the post. We never seem to get a break against them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 23:50

Decent game overall - with better finishing we’d have got something from it. Can’t agree with those who say we looked better when McGill came on - I thought the front 2 looked dangerous without good service (Nisbet should have scored though). Inverness looked good, especially in the wide areas but didn’t create much. Not sure how the linesman is getting so much stick - the ball was clearly over the line so he made the right decision.
Turner improved in the second half but again I thought he was the weak link in the first and Paton tired - I’d have kept Afalobi on and brought on Beadling in the middle. I liked the look of Ross when he came on as well.
Not sure how he’s done it but Robertson has Rooney looking like a player - he must be the most improved player in the league.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 00:16

looking at Ben’s vid on Youtube it doesnt look like the whole of the ball crossed the line.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 06:51

I left angry and frustrated.

Frustrated that we passed up a number of decent chances to open the scoring, which is often so crucial in football.

Angry at the player who "bought" the free kick and the ref for giving it. Angry at the linesman who signalled a goal when none of the ICT players claimed for it.

Angry at the cynical fouling and blatant time wasting adopted by ICT when they went in front. (They showed they can play a bit after we equalised.)

Frustrated that we didn't manage the game better after our equaliser and that the winner was a poxy deflection - even if we were very lucky when they hit the post just before that.

Above all, it was an opportunity to cut the gap between us to 2 pts and we blew it.

Never mind, a win on Saturday and I'll feel a whole lot better..... 🙂

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ReturningParsFan  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 08:19

Disappointed at the result but I've certainly been more upset by the performance than I was last night. Given our 24-day break since our last game, we did suffer a bit from rustiness in front of goal, but in general I thought we competed well against a strong team who always seem to get the breaks against us.

From the main stand, I couldn't tell if the first goal was over the line, but the quality of the free-kick certainly deserved it. Having said that, I was really annoyed at the blatant dive which led to the free kick award and also the dithering by Turner which ended up with the lost possession at the edge of the box.

Magnificent equaliser by Dom Thomas and a really soft deflected goal for the Caley winner.

I thought Afolabi looked very quick and menacing in the first half, but lacking in fitness to maintain that performance over a full 90 minutes. The midfield tried hard to compete with a good Caley team, and after many games of frustration, Kyle Turner had a very good 20 minutes in the second half leading up to our goal.

The defence did ok, bar the standing off an opponents, and I am never less than impressed by Aaron Comrie. Get this guy on a new contract as soon as possible, please, Stevie.

Ashcroft was clearly struggling for a good time before he was subbed, not sure why there was a delay when Lewis Martin was a ready-made replacement. Though, as others have said, I would have put him at full back and Murray in the middle.

All in all, a pretty good game to watch. Let's hope for better luck on Saturday. We might need it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 08:19

Need to see the highlights for the goal to get a good idea, but from a couple of angles it looks very close, the linesman also wouldn't have a scooby if it did indeed cross the line. Issue here was not taking our chances when they came, that's what separates those in the playoff spots in the league and the teams below. I think the rustiness showed, so we need to go put this result right on Saturday against a team we just never seem to beat... We have to make ourselves hard to beat not concede easy goals and be clinical in front of goal. A tough ask, but if we want to compete for the playoffs we need to start getting points off the top teams
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 10:02

Looking at Ben's video - it's very close, and could well be over. .

I find it a bit odd that the generally accepted norm in football is that 'the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt' (offsides etc.), but some are of the view that in extreme cases like this the benefit of that doubt should go to the defending team? Why is that?

I'm not going to castigate the lino for this one - it's a tough call to make, because it's very very close, and either us or ICT were going to end up being disappointed with the decision; there's no available compromise. We ended up on the wrong side. Ultimately - it didn't cost us the game. Our poor finishing did.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 10:02

Perhaps I'm wrong. Due to the incompetence of the Keatings sending of and the panel decision, I was wondering if the officials last night were told to be soft in their dealings with Inverness. Bookings should have been given to two of their players who blootered the ball away. Plus as no Inverness player celebrated after the ball hit the bar and did or did not cross the line. Hopefully I'm wrong but would we have been given the goal, probably not.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 10:18

''I find it a bit odd that the generally accepted norm in football is that 'the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt' (offsides etc.), but some are of the view that in extreme cases like this the benefit of that doubt should go to the defending team? Why is that?''

Two things, Bandy.

1. Although FIFA issued exactly the directive you quote, about 20 years ago, it's never really been put into practice by referees. When I did the refereeing course in the 70s, it was drilled into us to always give defenders the benefit of the doubt. The reason? A goal incorrectly chalked off for offside is forgotten about and forgiven much more easily than an offside goal which is allowed to stand. Same with penalties given/not given. (We remember things that happen and tend to forget those that don't - that's how our brains work.) I believe referees today still cling to that way of thinking.

2. In last night's case, it would only be Pars fans who thought we should have been given the benefit of the doubt and not people in general. I'll bet both ICT fans in the East Wing thought it was well over the line... :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 10:26

"the generally accepted norm in football is that 'the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt' "

Since when has that been the genrally accepted norm? It never has been, I'd suggest. The generally accepted norm is surely that if there's significant doubt, the status quo prevails. This means that if the referee feels it's marginal whether a certain tackle is worth a sending off or not, the player gets the benefit of the doubt and stays on. If there might be a foul but the referee didn't get a good view, he'll play on. And if the ball is very close to going over the line, the linesman says play on unless he's sure it's over the line.

I've only had one look at it while at the game, and I too thought it was very close. It might have crossed the line, it might not - I genuinely don't know and my view of it wasn't that different to the linesman's. I just don't think he can give it unless he's looking right along the line from the corner flag, and he wasn't.

For this attacker gets the benefit of the doubt thing, say the same thing happened with a fluke kick-out from the goalkeeper and the linesman happens to be around the halfway line. As it bounces on the line he has absolutely no idea, it's a 50/50 call as it whether it's crossed the line. Are you seriously saying he should give the goal in that situation because favouring the attacker is the right thing to do?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 11:27

When it comes to deciding whether a ball crossed the goal-line there shouldn't be any doubt at all. That's why some leagues introduced goal-line technology. Last night the ref obviously had doubts or he would have awarded the goal immediately. He must have accepted the opinion of the assistant, presumably thinking he was in a better position to judge. But was he if, as Socks states, he wasn't looking along the line? My impression was that the ICT players didn't even appeal for a goal but maybe the highlights will show otherwise.

It's easy to say that the decision didn't cost us the match and our own wastefulness in front of goal did but in truth both were contributory factors. I'm surprised how some fans underplay the significance of poor refereeing decisions in the outcome of games, especially close ones like last night's.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 11:29

Socks - not at all. I

'm not a fan of the 'attacker gets the benefit of the doubt' mantra (which, in fairness, isn't a directive, it's more something trotted out by rent a quote pundits). The only place where I can see that principle being applied in is in the evolution of the offside rule whereby there's a judgement call around players 'interfering' with play. That's greatly reduced the power of the 'offside trap' defence, as you don't necessarily know which attacker is going to be interfering with play before the ball is passed - it's evolved from a technique to catch 'anyone' offside, to catching the 'right' person offside...which is much much much harder.

I just thought it was interesting observation that for some decisions the general view is that the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt, and for others it's the defender.

I like your 'if it's marginal maintain the status quo' guideline. I feel the same guideline should also be applied to political/constitutional referendums.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 11:46

Socks, it's not a "generally accepted norm" but it was a FIFA directive, which they hoped would lead to an increase in the average number of goals per game.

Around the same time, Sepp Blatter had another brainwave - increase the size of the goals by the width of the frame. This would mean that every shot that previously had hit the bar or posts would then be a goal. This harebrained idea was shelved when the cost involved was realised......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 12:08

Was this the same time as Blatter was having brainwaves like women wearing skimpier shorts?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 12:11

https://twitter.com/ICTFC/status/1232612915766845446

at the game I didn't think it had crossed the line, seeing 2 different angles on video and how the ball comes back out again my opinion hasn't changed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 12:16

I think Blatter's reasoning was that the dimensions of football goals have been the same size since 1865 but humans are growing by ,on average, 5% every 100 years thus making it harder to score.I'm not saying I agree with it but at least there was some logic to it.There was an average of 4.9 goals per game in 1890 and 100 years later it was down to 2.6 goals per game.I wonder if they will be the same size in another 100 years.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 12:20

Im not sure still waiting to see our highlights, the picture clarity in them is normally fantastic, on another note does Dave Honeyman just set the gopro up behind the goals we are shooting into and not at both ends ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 12:56

From the comments I'm still hopeful of getting to the playoffs. Seems like we played well but missing a bit sharpness in front of the goals. To be expected after 3 and a half weeks out of action perhaps.

Post Edited (Wed 26 Feb 12:57)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 13:33

One Caley player put his hand up when the ball came out but that looked like frustration rather than appealing for a goal. Most of them looked surprised when the ref blew the whistle as if they didn't know what the decision was for. The ref awarded it more quickly than I recalled but it still looked like it wasn't his decision.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 13:43

It was the linesman that amazed me. The speed ran down the line was like Usain Bolt. Having watched the twitter "goal" it looked like the ball never crossed the line.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 14:32

You see, when I look on twitter it looks over the line...definitely a very close call :D. Wonder if there's a pic from a better camera.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 15:03

I cant make my mind up watching it to see if it was over the line or not but looking at the ICT players reactions for me says it's not over the line
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net