DAFC.net
Home 09 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Do you want to buy a football club?
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 12:57

Some incredible statements coming from Geoff Brown and his son Steve Brown on the future of St Johnstone.
Steve Brown has asked for promises from his family that they won't take over from him.
His father Geoff Brown says that fan ownership at Saints won't work but has no exit strategy for his family.
Steve Brown says It is a lot of sacrifices. It is the nature of the beast. But I wouldn’t wish it on my kids.”

The Saints chairman, who has warned Perth fans to brace themselves for “heavy losses”, plans to withdraw from the frontline.
If we hadn’t had other projects to bring some cash into the club, we’d have gone bust years ago.”

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Do you want to buy a football club?
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 13:03

does brown own the land/stadium up there?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 13:19

St Johnstone were devastated when their Gates barely increased after they won the Scottish FA Cup.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 13:25

Will we see AFC St Johnstone.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 14:16

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Wed 26 Feb 13:03

does brown own the land/stadium up there?

I think a farmer named McDairmid gave st johnstone the land to build the stadium, and asda gave them the money to build the new stadium after buying Muirton Park from st johnstone.

So I would imagine the football club own the ground

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Wed 26 Feb 14:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 16:04

A warning to the rest of Scottish Football.........

The days of being able to grow a provincial club following (Pars mid eighties) are finished. Throw all the money you like at it, win a trophy, whatever - people are not interested at a local level.

Fair play to the Browns they have stuck it out & really tried an absolute thankless task.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 16:07

Steve Brown has drafted-in former Kilmarnock chief executive Kirsten Robertson to handle the club on a day-to-day basis and cut costs.

Brown Sr – who steered Saints from the depths of Scottish football and pushed through the move from Muirton to McDiarmid – admitted it was dispiriting that the historic 2014 Scottish Cup triumph didn’t reap long-term rewards.
It’s depressing to say the least when you can’t even get 1,500 season ticket holders signed up after all the success the club has had,” he said.

“And I can’t think of anything we haven’t tried to improve.”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 17:07

Can't help thinking that if St Johnstone were to suffer relegation and lose the revenue streams associated with the top flight, they might well go under - perish the thought.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 17:12

There was an interview last week with Saints chairman days they pay over the odds for players because we're next door to England and thier over inflated wages.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 17:37

I always thought Saints were a well run club, the Brown's must of lost millions over the years due to lack of support from the Perth people. Also slipped my mind that McDiarmid park was built in 1989.
Maintenance must also be becoming a burden for them. I heard last year that bits of the ground are needing attention like the roofs on the stands leaking etc. Plastic pitches look well worn too outside.

Post Edited (Wed 26 Feb 17:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 17:55

Good luck, a good team for years yet crowds are often less than 2000- not sure what else they can do

The same goes for Motherwell, Killie etc. Some really good teams, win cups yet makes no difference to the gate, Motherwell are third yet probably only get an extra 300 fans!

We are the same, last season we were in the top flight average was less than 4000.

Maintaining a full time team looks heartbreaking, how many fans were really there last night for instance.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 22:03

I think we all realise that the cost of going to games is a key factor with an effect on attendances.

Playing midweek in horrible weather doesn't help either.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net