DAFC.net
Home 04 April 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Andy Ryan & Calum Smith
Topic Originator: tappies par  
Date:   Sat 7 Mar 23:08

Anyone know how they have been doing at Airdrie? For me Andy Ryan and Calum Smith are better players than Lewis Mcann and Gabby McGill. For me it was the wrong decision to loan Andy Ryan out. With Kevin Nisbit out think we could do with Andy Ryan.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Andy Ryan & Calum Smith
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sat 7 Mar 23:38

If Ryan was punted (and it was very quick) because of internal reasons, then there's no way he can come back, end of.

The responsibility for Andy Ryan's career is Andy Ryan, genuinely good luck to him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 07:31

Agreed. Without Nisbet we do really need a striker with experience in the leagues. It’s a shame we couldn’t get Blair Lyons from Montrose as I think he could be the next lower league player to go onto bigger things. If what I heard about Ryan is true, he should be punished but we should have made sure a ready made replacement was available from sending him on loan.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 08:19

Andy Ryan started 10 games and came off the bench 9 times for us this season and scored 3 goals. Hardly missing that goal return. Hes scored 2 in 7 games in League one. Thats where he belongs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 09:26

we aren't missing either player imo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 09:36

Mcann, Mcgill, Ryan and Smith are all 1st division material if that , none of them are the answer to our injury problems at the moment

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 15:34

Quote:

gordi-b, Sun 8 Mar 09:36

Mcann, Mcgill, Ryan and Smith are all 1st division material if that , none of them are the answer to our injury problems at the moment

100 percent I can't see any of them improving not seen tha fascination with Smith. Been on loan at a few teams now and the figures suggest he's anything but a natural goalscorer

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SusieQ  
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 15:41

Callum got injured both at Alloa and Arbroath so never really got a run of games at either club.

He's done ok at Airdrie - scoring a few goals & a couple of Man of the Match awards. He's playing wide tho rather than in a striking role so not sure how he's linking up etc. Can't be too bad tho as he's in the team every week.

Maybe not setting the world alight with his goal tally, but doing well enough by the look of it given he's playing every week now. (I haven't seen him play there so impossible to judge properly of course!)

Proud sponsor of Callum Smith's home shirt

COME ON YE PARS!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 17:04

Ryan has had his chance and not been good enough.

Smith is better than McGill and Mccann, I'd probably put him on par with afolabi. He's had a raw deal of it imo, hope he gets his contract extended.

The Prophet - 12/07/18, 13/06/19

https://uk.gofundme.com/f/save-the-bronze-bar
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 17:19

I’ve only seen Smith once this season - playing for Airdrie at East Fife - he was very poor and got substituted. I see no reason whatsoever to extend his contract - he’s played a lot of football this season and hardly scored in a league lower then we’re in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 09:50

Smith had about 5 good games and was given a 3 years contract, he’s done zip since and that includes at a lower level.

Agree that McCann, McGill and Ryan just don’t have it to come good at this level, it’s just a bit too high for them and to look good at this level you have to have something about you, none of these guys do.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsDan03  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 10:08

Not seen him play but the airdrie fans seem to rate Smith really highly, I reckon he’s worth keeping for next season and if he still isn’t good enough then that’s probably his time with us over.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 11:37

There are so many talent-spotters on this forum, capable of assessing a player's potential after a few games. It's a shame the club can't benefit from this. Think of all the money spent on developing young players who have no chance of succeeding that we could save. However, the problem might be that we wouldn't recruit enough young players to be able to field a reserve team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 11:47

Wee eck it’s prob worth noting how many young players from Fife have come through at other teams over the years......

There are plenty of good youngsters about but we seem to be picking from what’s left once the more promising ones have been snapped up. Even rovers have a better record than us so it’s not always the bigger teams taking them.

Our record on coaching and improving players isn’t really there either.

McCann is currently our best option but he looks better without the ball....same with McGill.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 13:15

The point I was making, Berkey, was that you and a few others on here are too quick to write off the potential of some young players, based on very little evidence. Players develop at different rates and some have to be given time to progress. No doubt you think you have an unerring eye for a good player but would you have seen the potential in, say, Lawrence Shankland and Kevin Nisbet when they were at Aberdeen and Partick Thistle respectively? Both these clubs probably made quite expensive mistakes in releasing them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 16:50

Did Nisbet not admit himself that he had an attitude problem of some sort at Partick? I could be wrong but it sounds like some players need a kick up the backside and have to unleash their potential at other clubs. I know for a fact that happened with Shankland. He saw Ayr as his last chance and got himself in the best shape possible and it has paid off massively.

Some players do not get a chance at all, mind you. I thought we should have given Jordan White more game time when he was at us and now he has went on to be fairly successful. I would be delighted to have him back at the club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 18:56

Quote:

Berkey, Mon 9 Mar 11:47

Wee eck it’s prob worth noting how many young players from Fife have come through at other teams over the years......

There are plenty of good youngsters about but we seem to be picking from what’s left once the more promising ones have been snapped up. Even rovers have a better record than us so it’s not always the bigger teams taking them.

You do realise that most "good youngsters " don't want to sign for the Pars, if there's a hint of interest from a couple of Glasgow clubs, not to mention the likes of Hibs, Hearts, etc? There's more chance of signing them after these clubs inevitably release them, assuming the massive disappointment doesn't lead them to quit the game altogether.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 18:58

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 9 Mar 11:37

There are so many talent-spotters on this forum, capable of assessing a player's potential after a few games. It's a shame the club can't benefit from this. Think of all the money spent on developing young players who have no chance of succeeding that we could save. However, the problem might be that we wouldn't recruit enough young players to be able to field a reserve team.

Wee eck, don't exaggerate. The best talent spotters are able to tell you if a player is any good after 45 mins.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 19:01

I heard recently that Hearts/Hibs coaches were up at Kelty regularly looking at players as young as 6years old.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 19:28

Hearts,hibs,Rangers,Celtic,Dundee and Dundee Utd are down at Pitreavie watching the young boys that play fun 4’s and 5’s.
You get invited to train say with Celtic at Grangemouth while training/playing with your local team.
My wee lad didn’t enjoy it so I said he just wants to play for his team. Far to young at that age but enjoys his football at pro youth now he is a few years older.
Imo players shouldn’t go pro youth till their start high school.
Some parents are terrible with the pressure they put on their kids as only around 1% will make a career out of the game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 20:32

Quote:

EEP, Mon 09 Mar 19:28

Hearts,hibs,Rangers,Celtic,Dundee and Dundee Utd are down at Pitreavie watching the young boys that play fun 4’s and 5’s.
You get invited to train say with Celtic at Grangemouth while training/playing with your local team.
My wee lad didn’t enjoy it so I said he just wants to play for his team. Far to young at that age but enjoys his football at pro youth now he is a few years older.
Imo players shouldn’t go pro youth till their start high school.
Some parents are terrible with the pressure they put on their kids as only around 1% will make a career out of the game.

6 is far too young to join a pro youth team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 20:54

I totally agree but there are some young lads out there that thrive right into the pro youth at an early age.
Again I took my boy out as he didn’t enjoy it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 21:05

You can tell a good player pretty quickly in my opinion.
First touch, ability to play with his head up, awareness and game intelligence.
Of course, a player could work very hard and try to improve in these areas but generally speaking, these are qualities you either have or you haven’t got

For example, take Billy Gilmour. He has all these qualities and he’s 18

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Mon 09 Mar 21:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 21:12

That's why you've got to be impressed by someone like Paul Paton. He's very limited but has played international football - down to hard work, determination and sheer willpower.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we don't sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna score in every game 'til Christmas,
And every touch is goal la la la, it's goal la la la,
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 10 Mar 06:58

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Mon 9 Mar 21:12

That's why you've got to be impressed by someone like Paul Paton. He's very limited but has played international football - down to hard work, determination and sheer willpower.

He's also not a bad player, you don't realise how good a player you have to be to play at that level until you play against them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 10 Mar 07:21

He can pass the ball about quite nicely, good awareness too.

What I like about him and Turner is even if they aren't having a good game, they get back on their feet.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Tue 10 Mar 09:42

I was not sure when we signed Paton , but my god he puts a captains shift in. Does all the ugly work, Tracks back, put a leg in, can pass the ball about... puts in 110% all the time
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Tue 10 Mar 15:47

I doubt Ryan will be back. It never really worked for him for whatever reason. I can see Smith returning. It will be a big year for him next year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Tue 10 Mar 16:13

I'm sure Smith is out of contract in the summer as well.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Tue 10 Mar 17:22

Would have these two back and put Lewis Mc and Matty Todd out on loan imo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Tue 10 Mar 17:26

I'd have Smith as a back up striker and I would love him to push into the first team and earn his place.

We'll no pick up a straight replacement for Nisbet in terms of ability but hopefully get something.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net