DAFC.net
Home 04 April 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sell Hampden Park.
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 12:41

I keep being told we need to think outside the box to get Scottish Football clubs through this ghastly crisis; well here is my suggestion.

Sell Hampden Park, which the SFA paid £5m to Queens Park for in 2018.

Built in 1903 for an age of massive crowds, it stands on land which is prime real estate.

Behind closed doors, the Scottish Football Authorities are now looking at bank lending facilities.Some folk on the Forum surprised me saying the clubs cannot receive the assistance the well heeled SRU is able to give their clubs.

In any case, in my experience, few of the Tartan Army come from Glasgow and the West.Internationals can be held in Edinburgh,Dundee and Glasgow.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sell Hampden Park.
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 12:57

I thought ownership of the stadium wasn't changing over until 1st August 2020-after Euro 2020 matches.With that being delayed for a year will the purchase still even go ahead?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 12:57

Would be short terminism in the extreme.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 13:45

I don't think of it as short termism - we have no need for Hampden. It's a poor quality stadium and poorly connected for any team from outside of Glasgow, and for any fans travelling from outside of Glasgow. We have plenty of alternatives for big fixtures - Murrayfield, Celtic Park, Ibrox.

Indeed, the last time Scotland qualified for a major tournament we played our qualifying fixtures at different grounds. Since we've moved back to Hampden our international standing has plummeted, so it's not like playing at our National Stadium is giving an advantage.

This is an opportunity to rid the game of the Hampden white elephant once and for all.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 13:47

If a Family faces bankruptcy,they sell the Family silver.

Presumably this virus is,indeed, short term.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 15:04

Elephant in the room - sell it to who?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 15:06

Quote:

jake89, Wed 18 Mar 15:04

Elephant in the room - sell it to who?

Whom.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 15:15

Yes but, surely the SFA would get the money, when it is the SPFL that needs the money...?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 15:28

Ian Maxwell and the SFA are in talks with Lenders to get money urgently to the clubs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 15:31

Apart from the fact they don't own it yet would they even be allowed to sell once they do? I understand Glasgow City Council has a say.I presume they haven't even paid for it yet either and much of the money was coming from Tom Hunter.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 16:29

The SFA will own it in four months time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 16:59

"The SFA will own it in four months time."

Clubs need funds right now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 17:50

Quote:

Bandy, Wed 18 Mar 13:45

I don't think of it as short termism - we have no need for Hampden. It's a poor quality stadium and poorly connected for any team from outside of Glasgow, and for any fans travelling from outside of Glasgow. We have plenty of alternatives for big fixtures - Murrayfield, Celtic Park, Ibrox.

Indeed, the last time Scotland qualified for a major tournament we played our qualifying fixtures at different grounds. Since we've moved back to Hampden our international standing has plummeted, so it's not like playing at our National Stadium is giving an advantage.

This is an opportunity to rid the game of the Hampden white elephant once and for all.

Hampden is also a form of income for the SFA, think or the concerts and functions that get held there, as well as the museum and the offices, if we were to sell it the SFA would then need to spend money for office space.

If we were to sell it, we would then inevitably end up having more games at Ibrox or Parkhead, and in turn giving them more money.

Our international standing hasn't plummeted because of moving to Hampden.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 18:31

Who's Whom?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 19:33

The emergency £1.5m package announced today is welcome news.

If Hampden were sold we could play Internationals in Edinburgh,Aberdeen and Dundee.

The Tartan Army does not come from the West.

Post Edited (Wed 18 Mar 19:35)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 19:49

Quote:

Sliema Par, Wed 18 Mar 19:33

If Hampden were sold we could play Internationals in Edinburgh,Aberdeen and Dundee.

A large part of it does.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Wed 18 Mar 20:41

Quote:

Sliema Par, Wed 18 Mar 19:33

Which football stadiums in Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen hold around 30000 fans out of interest. The ssc currently has 25000 members who are all entitled to tickets for home games. Other pihs friendly games such as Canada and the likes, games always pull around 30k in attendances in recent years.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 19 Mar 05:22

When Scotland met Belgium,last September,the best country in the World,less than 26,000 attended.

The SRU would let Scotland use Murrayfield for that rare occasion when a huge attendance was in prospect.

However,selling Hampden was my suggestion.

Bryan Jackson,who is a finance expert, and who was the Administrator at East End Park in 2013,has laid it on the line regarding the parlous state of Scottish Football.

I welcome others suggestions.Taking out Centenary Club Lifeline memberships or emulating Raith Rovers in setting up a fund raising page or OzPar's suggestion of a club membership scheme all have great merit.

Post Edited (Thu 19 Mar 05:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 19 Mar 11:31

Murrayfield is only suitable as an occasional substitute stadium - a full length football pitch is 24 metres less than the rugby equivalent, which leaves a large void space at one end with spectators well away from that goal line.

It's a purpose built rugby venue, not a general use sports stadium.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Thu 19 Mar 13:30

Quote:

Sliema Par, Thu 19 Mar 05:22

When Scotland met Belgium,last September,the best country in the World,less than 26,000 attended.

The SRU would let Scotland use Murrayfield for that rare occasion when a huge attendance was in prospect.

However,selling Hampden was my suggestion.

Bryan Jackson,who is a finance expert, and who was the Administrator at East End Park in 2013,has laid it on the line regarding the parlous state of Scottish Football.

I welcome others suggestions.Taking out Centenary Club Lifeline memberships or emulating Raith Rovers in setting up a fund raising page or OzPar's suggestion of a club membership scheme all have great merit.

The Belgium game was a meaningless friendly and sort of proves my point re no other grounds being suitable.
Outside Glasgow no other club ground could cope with that crowd.
All well and good saying sell the national stadium, but that's short termism.
They would spend more going forward paying to use other stadiums and that's before the additional income they will make using hampden as a concert venue going forward.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 19 Mar 14:31

What’s the suggestion here the SFA sell their only asset and give the money to the Scottish League? That just is not going to happen.

I’ve gone to Scotland games home and away for 30 years and the suggestion that people from the West don’t support the national team has always been proven to be an urban myth perpetuated by some individuals from the East with a chip on their shoulder. I’ve always found Scotland to be supported by people from all over Scotland so no matter where we played it wouldn’t suit everyone.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net