DAFC.net
Home 07 April 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hold your nose...
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 19:43

... and thank the current government. Paying 80% of wages to those who can't work due to the Coronavirus irrespective of sector will surely apply to those staff at DAFC and other clubs who can't do their job at the moment. Should mean we're not at risk for the time being. I'd still hope the Lifeline and Fighting Fund will continue though to ensure we're in the best position moving forward.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hold your nose...
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 19:50

Players included presumably ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 20:47

It’s at a max 80% and £2800 a month, but can’t find anything about if that’s at the employer or employee level. With employers having to pay NI, pensions and insurance it’s still not going to cover all our cost without adding in the losses associated with no games. The donations from fans who can will definitely still be required, but yes it’s looking a better situation.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 20:56

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 21:05

I was just saying that today to my mate Renegade. This country would be in free fall if independent. He is SNP and agreed so we are lucky as a nation this happened now. Don’t hear many of the snp folk on here saying we would be better off in Scotland if we were independent under the virus?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 21:11

It's a big help but, if you don't have any income. finding the remaining 20% will still be a problem. Doesn't it only cover those on the books at 29 Feb and is only for 3 months, so what about new signings?

One thing that worries me is that this may lead to people believing there is a 'magic money tree' after all.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 21:53

Quote:

EEP, Fri 20 Mar 21:05

I was just saying that today to my mate Renegade. This country would be in free fall if independent. He is SNP and agreed so we are lucky as a nation this happened now. Don’t hear many of the snp folk on here saying we would be better off in Scotland if we were independent under the virus?

Why would we be any worse? It's fairly well accepted that Boris has made a right **** of it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 22:04

Thank goodness we are still in the transition period. I hate to think the state of our supply chains of we weren't still plumbed into the EU lines.

No one would talk much in society if they realised how often they misunderstood others
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 22:08

Every move has been made far too late by boris, it’s absolutely shocking
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 22:12

Too early to make any judgement on how well he has handled this.

No one would talk much in society if they realised how often they misunderstood others
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 22:16

Lots of lessons here from Spanish flu.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 22:17

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FA1968  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 22:46

Full credit to boris and the uk government so far, doing the right thing by most folk and making moves when the experts tell him to rather than some raspers on dafc.net and labour mps wanting more, more more.

The guy is between a rock and a hard place and doing a brilliant job regardless of party loyalty.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 23:04

I’m not a Borris fan at all but he’s been a proper prime minister in this worst period Britain has encountered. It’s the population of Britain are a bunch of bellends that are being idiots.
He looked like he’s not slept for a week today and let’s remember he has a family etc plus one one the way.
Thank got we are not independent as we would be in the mire!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Scottn4312  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 23:09

I can offer nothing but credit for this move.

But anyone who thinks the PM has handled this crisis well is deluded. From today the UK is on a steeper mortality rate than Italy, the wage relief and lock down whilst welcome, are to little to late. People are dying that didnt need to and that's on the PM.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 23:11

No we wouldn't. We would do exactly the same thing the UK Governemnt is doing and borrow the money.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 23:19

Every other Independent country is managing the situation as well.
Why would Scotland be any different if it were independent?
Why do you think Scotland is a basket case?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Superpars68  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 23:31

Sad my first ever post has to be in response to people so bereft of confidence they have to make snide remarks about Scotland uniquely being too poor and too stupid to react to a worldwide emergency in the same way as virtually every other independent country in Europe.

Grow up for goodness sake and stop playing politics at a time we should all be pulling together.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 23:51

Just back from Spain today (just) pretty brutal there, probably will come here, hopefully not, going by the numbers though we will do well to avoid the worse

The reaction and steps have been good.

Got to say the politicians have played it well, I mean this from all parties.

They have been as transparent as possible, and not played petty politics, they have grasped the situation and done what they can.

The money is borrowed/ in the form of loans, the bond market is stuck- so let's see....

US, Saudi and Russia have always had a battle with oil.....

Football wise, if we get through this with as little blood as possible (hugely unlikely) will be a buyer's market, if there are any buyer's at all.

It is all debt, adding to the 2008 debt. With the recovery based on the very thing that got us in this mess.....debt, with 'free' money, the most important thing is that regular people don't get hammered, and those that are in jeopardy (self employed, zero hours etc.) Are protected, I really hope this.

Footballers at our level are vulnerable, and for clubs can be catastrophic I believe.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 23:52

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 00:06

So why didn’t boris shut down the pubs etc much sooner than this? Some countries were going full lockdown after one cases of coronavirus, an absolute clueless leader who, like his Conservative party over the years, don’t care a jot about public services hence why the nhs is on its knees, when was the last time a conservative leader actually invested into the nhs?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 00:15

Quote:

FA1968, Fri 20 Mar 22:46

Full credit to boris and the uk government so far, doing the right thing by most folk and making moves when the experts tell him to rather than some raspers on dafc.net and labour mps wanting more, more more.

The guy is between a rock and a hard place and doing a brilliant job regardless of party loyalty.

Apart from the experts that have told him he's got it wrong.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-uk-scientists-letter-government-plan-herd-immunity-a9402661.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/18/coronavirus-uk-expert-advice-wrong

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-uk-cases-john-ashton-nhs-hospital-covid-19-budget-a9396211.html

Anyone that's spent any time reading about what countries have done to successfully mitigate the risk of the virus would be able to see how woefully inept our response has been.

Hong Kong started implementing travel restrictions against China after 3 confirmed cases of the virus. We got told to sing Happy Birthday as we wash our hands.

Singapore has a sophisticated tracking and tracing program:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51866102

It's our current policy not screen anyone outside of a hospital because we dont have enough test kits. The experts at the WHO say this step is vital in combatting the virus.

Taiwan have been successful too:

https://www.wired.com/story/taiwan-is-beating-the-coronavirus-can-the-us-do-the-same

The UK has either done none of the things the countries that have handled it well have done (we still havent imposed travel restrictions on anyone entering the country) or have done them extremely late.

In terms of size of population we rank 21st in the world yet we already rank 7th in the world for number of deaths and it's going to get worse in the near future.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 00:16

Quote:

FA1968, Fri 20 Mar 22:46

Looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights to me. No plan
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 00:21

Quote:

renegade master, Fri 20 Mar 23:52

Which other Independent countries are we talking about here?

Every country.
Just as an example Denmark with a population of around 5.6 million have a €13 billion financial package to support business.
UK population 66.5 million, financial package for business £12 billion.

The idea we are doing so much better than other independent countries because we are part of the UK is ludicrous and certainly doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 00:29

Why not just give credit where it's due. I'd imagine few political leaders have had to deal with anything like this and both UK and Scottish have done as well as they can IMO.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 00:30

Hong Kong and Taiwan has painful experience from China's 'transparency' with SARS- I was there at that time., It was horrific.

Hence both shutting down as soon as China yawns.

You could be right, although statistics can be meaningless as well, especially when they are not collected properly/unreported/massaged at source.

I don't believe a number of the countries stats. Malaysia, Iran,turkey, Philippines etc. The true story will surely come later.

Italy has an extremely advanced health system, and perhaps are the leading disaster experts, yet this overwhelms any country.

These are only reported cases.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 00:31

What should we be giving credit for? I'm a bit confused.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 00:39

@neil that's kind of my point though. Countries with more direct experience of previous epidemics implemented strong measures early whereas we (and quite a few in Europe) did too little too late.

There was plenty to learn from. We didn't even have an idea of the number of deaths certain policies would lead to.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alexwickham/coronavirus-uk-strategy-deaths?__twitter_impression=true
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 00:59

On the other hand, you could (like sammer), live in Russia.

So far, Russian officials have said there are about 250 coronavirus infections and one death in the population of about 145 million.

Putin, you are a corrupt lying bar steward.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 01:13

Quote:

petrie_pants, Sat 21 Mar 00:29

Why not just give credit where it's due.

I will when it is.

Some of the posts on here have to be seen to be believed, quislings everywhere.

Why Scotland would be any worse off is beyond me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 01:25

At a time when everyone should be pulling together, there are still people mumping their gums for their own selfish political reasons.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 01:35

My selfish political reasons are that I'd like as many people survive this as possible and we've done virtually nothing to secure the outcome I want to see happening.

It's in much the same way I dont want to see the disabled dropping down dead when they've been told they're fit enough for work.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 01:36

Big applause for the tories. Absolutely unprecedented call.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 01:40

Yeah the way they've reduced the number of hospital beds and run the NHS into the ground is epic.

The way they wargamed a virus pandemic that highlighted we didnt have enough ventilators and then proceeded to buy 0 (zero) ventilators showed immense foresight. We're really lucky to have them in charge at the moment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 09:27

What do you want them to do? Cut them some slack, we ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 09:31

The way this has been handled is laughable.

11/3 - ok for 3 thousand Spanish fans to visit
12/3 - ok for 3 thousand Germans fans to visit
13/3 - All football off
18/3 - All Schools to close announced
20/3 - All pubs, restaurants, public venues with public transportation 1/2ed

Can’t see any panic there!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 09:39

A Tory government adopting state-interventionist policies to mitigate an economic crisis - it's difficult to know who deserves credit.

You usually find the most fervent proponents of free enterprise are the first to turn to the government for help when the market fails.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 08:42

Make no mistake, the unprecedented wage subsidies announced by the U.K. government should prove to be good news for Scottish Football.

They plan to pay millions of workers 80% of wages for up to three months.We presume that there will be rates relief and a delay in HMRC demanding VAT payments.

Yet it is clear that some prominent folk in Scottish Football, eg Leanne Dempster CEO at Hibs,still awaits clarification.

I wish someone on the Forum, who is an Economist,Accountant,Auditor,Finance expert or,indeed,a member of the Board,could confirm that our club does benefit.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net