DAFC.net
Home 03 March 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Reserve Cup Final v Quality St. Kids
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 10:31

I wonder if any of my fellow senior Pars fans remember the above game, circa 1969?

The Reserve (League) Cup Final was over two legs. The Pars lost the first leg at Parkhead 1-0, to a high scoring Celtic team nicknamed the Quality Street Kids and boasting the likes of Kenny Dalglish, Danny McGrain, Lou Macari, Davie Hay and George Connelly.

I can't remember how many of them turned out for Celtic in the 2nd leg at EEP, nor can I remember any of the players in the Pars team, but I do think it was an evening game and there was a decent crowd of around 6,000. The only facts I remember with any certainty is that I was in the crowd and we were treated to an excellent game of football which Celtic edged 4-3.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Reserve Cup Final v Quality St. Kids
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 10:34

St.C's own Paul Dykes wrote a book about the Quality Street Gang. Held in high regard by those of a hooped persuasion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 10:45

Yes, I was at the first leg at Parkhead, GG. I was with my best friend and his family, who were all Celtic fans...

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 10:49

Was Vic Davidson not one of the Celtic players that promised a lot but never quite reached the heights that were expected of him?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 19:42

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Mon 13 Apr 10:49

Was Vic Davidson not one of the Celtic players that promised a lot but never quite reached the heights that were expected of him?

Aye, Davidson was one of the QS kids. There were 14 in total according to Wikipedia. 6 of them were capped for Scotland. The 5 in my OP plus Paul Wilson. The Pars must have had a decent reserve team to run them so close. Jim Leishman might have been in the Pars team.

Oz you were at Parkhead for the first leg. Did you not make it to EEP for the return?
I've a hunch it was played on a Friday night in April.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 21:08

Hi GG,

The game at EEP was played in April 1970, a few days after Scotland and England had drawn 0-0 at Hampden. (The Colin Stein 'penalty' that was not given.)

It was a terrific game of football which I am pretty sure had to go to extra time to get a result. Jim Traynor (no, not that one) scored a couple for the Pars reserves from memory. Given the outstanding quality of the Celtic team it was a fantastic effort by our reserve players to take them to the limit.

My best memory is of watching a Celtic player wearing the number 4 (on his shorts back then) apparently in control of every Celtic move. It was like he was running the game from midfield. He was obviously a class act so I checked the Dunfermline Press later in the week to find out who he was. His name was Dalglish.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 07:13

Thanks for your insight, Sammer. My memoriesof the game are very hazy. I remember Lou Magari more readily, possibly because of his Italian roots - he has a wheen of relatives in the Lochgelly area, many of whom were at school with me or my siblings and younger ones I may have taught. Dalglish took every corner and free kick for Celtic, so he was the main man. He did exactly the same when he broke into the first team and his more experienced team mates accepted it, which speaks volumes.

I almost passed out when I read that Jim Traynor scored two of the Pars goals that night. That would have been too much to bear had it been that bawheid from Airdrie.

Do you remember that there was a decent crowd, made up mainly of youngsters? I think it was a nice, sunny Spring evening and I have it in my head that there were around 6,000 in the ground, a very respectable gate for many Premiership games nowadays. IIRC, the OF often used to get around double that for reserve games. Before I was allowed to travel to away games, I regularly watched the reserves, as they would follow the same fixture list as the first team, but with opposite venues. At half time, the first team score would be announced to great excitement.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net