DAFC.net
Home 04 March 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Peter Bonettii
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 14:34

Sorry to hear of Peter Bonetti’s passing … possessor of the greatest goalkeeping nickname ever. How many kids growing up/5-a-side goalies have been called the ‘cat’ over the years?

I remember listening to the famously tousy Chelsea v Leeds FA Cup Final on my mum’s old ‘wireless’ when it suddenly blew up, which seemed appropriate. And I'll never forget the drama of watching England’s QF exit in Mexico 1970 when he stood in for Gordon Banks.

I was as surprised as everyone else when I saw the Cat turning out for Dundee Utd on his way to becoming a postman on the Isle of Mull. To think, if he’d stuck in that last job long enough, he could have got a part in Balamory.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Peter Bonettii
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 16:19

If I remember rightly he was a hell of an age as well, Jim McLean was the manager, and he was no fool.

A seriously good keeper at a golden age time for keepers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 18:02

Quote:

Ronaldo, Mon 13 Apr 14:34

Sorry to hear of Peter Bonetti’s passing … possessor of the greatest goalkeeping nickname ever. How many kids growing up/5-a-side goalies have been called the ‘cat’ over the years?

I'm sure George Farm was also "The Cat", but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't first either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 19:48

"If I remember rightly he was a hell of an age as well, Jim McLean was the manager, and he was no fool."

Was he not just a temporary stand in for Hamish McAlpine ?

Commuting from Mull to Dundee and back must have been some shift !!!

Pity he could not have deputised for Hamish's one and only Pars appearance !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mon-pa  
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 23:13

Had forgotten he played for the arabs. I did however connect with McAlpines pars debut on loan for Westie..I regrettably have to admit - I was there that awful evening in Meadowbank. Nuff said. RIP Peter 'The cat'.

ARTY
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 08:52

At lunchtime before the game I was told by someone associated with Dunfermline. Not to go to the game at Meadowbank. He knew that we couldn't put out a team that was strong enough to win. There was no dishonesty by us, we simply had too many injured.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 10:38

I was at that game too! About 40 Meadowbank fans and a decent Pars support watching a car crash of a performance unravel, most of the Meadowbank 'support' were just wee kids, couldn't believe it.

Hamish was also a really good keeper, as Michael Marra sang,must have just been chaotic build up.

Funnily enough, a few years later I was living in Edinburgh and it was midweek game I popped along to, just for something to do, against Kilmarnock.

Tommy Burns and Billy Stark were playing, and Killie went I think 0-6 up at HT, full time result was 1-8!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 16:36

Norrie wasn't playing at Meadowbank if memory serves, not sure if injury or suspension ?

The defence gave Darren Jackson the Freedom of Edinburgh and he duly obliged.
[IP address logged]
 Re: Peter Bonetti
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 19:47

As one who first started following football in the late 60s, Peter was a big name. Televised games were few and far between but in 1970 we had the rarity of both an FA Cup Final replay and a World Cup Finals and Bonetti was to play a key role in both. Both FA and Scottish Cup finals seemed ludicrously early that year – April 11th – I think the English wanted to get in some jewellery shopping before retaining their Jules Rimet trophy.

Whilst “Cup Tie MacKay” was winning Aberdeen a rare trophy against the remnants of the Lisbon Lions (which player that day later played for the Pars?), Leeds and Chelsea were slugging it out in an attempt to win their first FA Cup. What players were on display – Johnny Hollins, Chopper Harris, Peter Osgood, Iain Hutchinson of the long throw, the mercurial Charlie Cooke; Eddie Gray, Peter Lorimer (reputed to have the hardest shot in football), Jackie Charlton, Norman “Bite yer legs” Hunter, Sniffer Clarke. All new names (to me) but exciting players.

Then of course, he got the blame for England losing to West Germany in the quarter-final after being 2-0 up at half-time.

He played 5 times for Dundee Utd – there was chat that St Johnstone were interested as they were one of the closest clubs to his new home in Bunessan, but he went to Tannadice where he flogged one on his debut, charging out to the corner flag and not getting the ball.

I was at school with 2 of his daughters – Suzanne and Kim, but wasn’t in the same year.

And yes, I had a brief flirtation with eleven aside football as a bench warmer for Dunollie Amateurs FC and our keeper was nicknamed “the Cat”

Sad news
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 19:59

Good Post ^^^^
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 20:33

Whilst “Cup Tie MacKay” was winning Aberdeen a rare trophy against the remnants of the Lisbon Lions (which player that day later played for the Pars?)

That had me baffled. It turns out to be Davie Robb who played a handful of games in the early 1980s. At Aberdeen Robb was red-haired midfielder, had good stamina and spent a fair bit of any game fouling opponents. He'd started as a striker and scored both goals I think when we lost 0-2 to the Dons at EEP when defending the Scottish Cup in 1969. Not an easy player on the eye.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net