DAFC.net
Home 03 March 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Iconic strips
Topic Originator: partime  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 19:38

Good article on BBC website re iconic strips
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/52242826

Only one Scottish strip got a mention (Celtic 1967) but my favourite was Scotland 1978, unfortunately the results weren't as good as the shirt
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Iconic strips
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 23:29

I remember when I first saw Partick Thistle in the 1960s thinking, "Wow! Now that's a terrific football strip".
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 23:52

The Scotland 86 was far superior to the 78, the shorts became part of the strip, revolutionary.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 00:45

Quote:

partime, Thu 16 Apr 19:38

Good article on BBC website re iconic strips
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/52242826

Only one Scottish strip got a mention (Celtic 1967) but my favourite was Scotland 1978, unfortunately the results weren't as good as the shirt
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 01:41

Sampdoria 1994/95 for me. An absolute cracker

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 01:51

In a Scottish context, I would add three more to the Thistle strip I have already mentioned...

Morton in the mid/late '60s had a pinstripe strip that looked really smart. It was very similar to the Pars' pinstripe except that the lines were blue rather than black.

Another strip... I hesitate to use the term, iconic... is the Dundee United tangerine strip from when it was introduced around 1969. It was pretty revolutionary at the time. I think the team had been playing a tournament in America and had been asked to wear a new strip for the tourney and this is what they were given. Up to that point, United had played in a white strip with black collars and cuffs (similar to Ayr United today), so it was a major change for their fans.

The third strip that stands out for me is the Airdrie diamond. I am pleased to see that they haven't really touched their top since I first visited Broomfield in 1965 or '66. The club badge has changed, but little else.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 06:53

Queen’s Park strip has always been a standout.
I also loved the Birmingham city one from the early 70s with the thick white stripe down the front as well as the classic Ajax one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 09:17

Surprised Peru isn't in there.

Sampdoria is also a great shout, although singling out one of theirs is difficult - I like some of their Kappa efforts. I loved it when the Pars had their red version as an away strip 3 or 4 years back and my brother bought me the one-off Parma kit where the used Sampdoria's design (and Sampdoria did vice versa).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.

Post Edited (Fri 17 Apr 09:27)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 10:38

Dumbarton with the black and yellow hoop, Airdrieonians, also like Alloa when they are ' the wasps'
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 10:45

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Fri 17 Apr 09:17

Sampdoria is also a great shout, although singling out one of theirs is difficult - I like some of their Kappa efforts. I loved it when the Pars had their red version as an away strip 3 or 4 years back and my brother bought me the one-off Parma kit where the used Sampdoria's design (and Sampdoria did vice versa).

Ever (ever) had the figure for a Kappa strip :-p

That particular Samp one had the open neck collar with the laces, similar to Blackburns around the same period, really made it stand out for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 12:00

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Fri 17 Apr 01:41

Sampdoria 1994/95 for me. An absolute cracker

That was an awesome strip, I also liked the Adidas Marseille strip with the 3 stripes on the shoulder
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 15:32

I remember my first floodlight match in the 60s at EEP against Partick. both strips were their standard but the brightness and clarity of colour made the strips stand out more than a normal saturday game.

Iconic strips can also be disasters such as 1992 Norwich.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 18:06

My memory tells me that we had a special strip made for our first floodlight match in 1958 against Sheffield United. Anybody remember it ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 22:10

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Fri 17 Apr 10:45

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Fri 17 Apr 09:17

Ever (ever) had the figure for a Kappa strip :-p

That particular Samp one had the open neck collar with the laces, similar to Blackburns around the same period, really made it stand out for me.

As per my name, I'm perfectly primed for a Kappa number...

Seriously though, Parma were my team of choice in the football Italia days. I had a couple of their tops but one I didn't get was the yellow and blue away top with the laced collar. It was also a thing of beauty.

I do think that Samp and Boca have the best strips in club football though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 23:31

Have always liked Hibs green shirt and white sleeves and Hearts had an Ajax-type maroon strip on white shirt, which I thought was pretty cool at the time. But most enduring for me is Airdrieonians diamond.

South of the border, I recall West Ham Utd having a claret shirt with 2 sky blue hoops that I liked. I also liked Blackburn Rovers half blue half white :)

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Apr 11:55

Hate the Airdrie strip myself, but everyone is different.

The new Korea away top is quite special.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 18 Apr 14:41

Flamenco from Brazil ❤
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Apr 15:46

Very good shout too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Sat 18 Apr 16:02

Always been a fan of the Croatian national strips.
In the 90s there was a PSV Eindhoven away top predominantly black but with blue and white. It was a thing of beauty!

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net