DAFC.net
Home 05 March 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 QUIZ Name the grounds
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 18:26

1. Hampden obviously but what wad the reason for such a low crowd at an international?

15. This what football looks like post-apocalypse.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: QUIZ Name the grounds
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 18:41

only know 8.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 18:55

1 A mid week game with an afternoon kickoff due to power cuts during miners strike?

2 Fir Park

4 Cappielow

9 Dens Park

10 Tynecastle

11 Parkhead

12 Shawfield

13 Muirton
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 19:58

2 Fir Park

4 Cappielow

10 Tynecastle

12 Shawfield

13 Muirton

Are correct.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 20:18

All the ones I was fairly sure of are already given above. Not certain of these:

5. Rugby Park
6. Somerset Park
14. Stark's Park
7. Firhill
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 20:38

3 Easter Road ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 20:58

3 gayfield?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 20:59

9 cathkin park- third lanark
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 21:03

Is 11 pittodrie?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 21:06

8 tannadice
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 21:13

7/ links park, wild guess
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 21:18

15 firhill?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 21:25

I think Neils is on my vodka for he has started hitting the target left, right and centre. (Along with the odd miss)

2. Fir Park (v Atletico Madrid)
4. Cappielow
5. Rugby Park
6. Somerset
8. Tannadice
9. Cathkin
10. Tynecastle
12. Shawfield
13. Muirton (Aberdeen v Kilmarnock semi 1970)
15. Firhill
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 21:39

3 Brockville
7 Palmerston
11 Ibrox
14 Dens
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 21:53

3 Brockville?
that would complete my 8.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 22:02

7. Love St
14. Pittodrie
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 22:06

I think 14 is starks sammer? Socks got it early.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 22:13

14 of course pittodrie, dressing rooms!

3/ firs park as a guess aside from brockville
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 22:30

7 I will go station park, floodlights not huge.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 22:49

It's a full house. Love Street number 11 was a big ground and once took 47,000 approx. for a cup tie with Rangers just after the war. I don't think the backdrop of Palmerston, number 7, has changed much over the years. As for Brockville, well it was always awful and the new ground looks pretty horrific on the videos I now see.

Congrats especially to Neils, Socks, Ben DA and Wetherby.

1. Hampden v Northern Ireland 1969. Held on a torrential midweek night in May with live TV coverage. Around 7,400 turned out to watch Best, Law and the Johnstones do their stuff. Average attendance for the fixture was normally between 40,000 and 60,000.

2. Fir Park (v Atletico Madrid)
3. Brockville
4. Cappielow
5. Rugby Park (Kilmarnock sometimes wore all red.)
6. Somerset
7. Palmerston
8. Tannadice (When Utd had that crap black strip)
9. Cathkin (It looked good in colour)
10. Tynecastle
11. Love Street
12. Shawfield (Greyhound results screen was a giveaway)
13. Muirton (Aberdeen v Kilmarnock semi 1970)
14. Pittodrie
15. Firhill
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 22:53

9 Third Lanark. thought of them. It was Ian Ure of Dundee that distracted me on that as well as the red strip.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Apr 23:56

Thanks for that - I love anything to do with old grounds, especially in Scotland. Those photos were all taken well before my time but it's interesting to see bits that that are recognisable by the ground in its present form.

Cappielow is unmistakable with that style of floodlights and the crane, while the terrace at the side of the pitch at Somerset is always striking as it's one of the few grounds that has open terracing at the side but covered ends. It's also the only one I know that is noticeably higher and deeper at one end of the ground than the other. Even though I never got to Muirton, that enclosure always gives it away in any photos, though I knew immediately what game that was so I've probably seen that particular photo before.

I'd be interested to know what clues gave some of the others away, particularly the Tannadice one which gives me no clue at all.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 00:41

Socks,
For someone who never stood on these terraces your knowledge is very impressive. Maybe you work in building or architecture? Tannadice had an L Shaped stand which may have struck a chord whilst others might have recognised adverts at the side of the pitch: e.g. Bells Whisky is a good bet for Muirton. The strips can be a help as well, even in black and white.

By the time I was going to football in the 1960s many of these grounds were shabby and run down, for there had been little investment after the first burst of activity in the 1920s. Floodlighting lifted the tone, but that had been available since the late 1880s and never pursued by football clubs until 70 years later. We were spoiled a bit at EEP since money was spent to improve the ground and many rival supporters I meet on my travels still say that EEP looks like a top flight stadium. My first visit to Tynecastle was an eye opener- I could not believe a big Edinburgh club with such an exotic name could play in such a ramshackle stadium, adorned with toilets that would have been closed down on health grounds in a state prison at any time in the 20th century. The toilets at the Gorgie Road End used to leak into the exit tunnel. You could see steam rising from the toilet shack at the School End.

So I have mixed feelings about the stadium developments since I was a boy. Tynecastle is now a good place to watch football and a massive improvement on what was there before. But the modern box stands behind the goal were a rush job to comply with the Taylor Report and can look intrusive at smaller clubs, destroying the proportions of the ground. Names like Palmerston, Cathkin, Love Street and even Glebe Park are too precious to be lost. And I still miss the tall coal hopper from the railyard which used to visible at the north west corner of EEP.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 00:42

That was great as always.

For me tannadice was the wrap around cantilever stand- one of the first in Scotland?

Couldn't get pittodrie, even though saw us play there plenty times, and must have looked at that players entrance plenty!

Kept on looking at the buildings around the grounds too for clues, not much clicked.

Cathkin park, read plenty, you can go and have a look it's still there, although it's an unmistakable bowl, terracing still intact, all the structures have been removed, it's close to Hampden, and I believe was the second Hampden park?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 00:58

Yes, Cathkin was once Hampden Park. And also the venue for the first attempt at a floodlight match in 1888. Apparently the one floodlight had to be swivelled, Arthur Montford style, to try and follow the ball, but the organisers claimed that had the reflector they ordered actually arrived then all would have been well! Sounds a bit Hancock to me.

Here is the iconic coal hopper at EEP, behind Fergie's right ear.

Not sure about this ground. It's a Joe McBride goal but could be either Easter Road or Muirton.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 08:07

Really annoyed I didn't get number 6 Somerset Park as I was their frequently in the 70s when I lived there for 10 years. The large manual scoreboard at the back of the terracing should have given it away but I didn't recall there being a chimney behind the terracing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 11:09

I think that's Easter road sammer- I'm 53, but went to Easter road plenty times, that middle terrace got larger closer to centre circle, huge.

A real dump of a ground though, EEP for me was the best of the grounds, mostly covered, mostly not standing on ash, and had toilets with a roof!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 11:56

Thanks sammer - I don't work in that field and I have no great interest in architecture, but when talking about football grounds that changes completely. I just love photos of old grounds and can stare at them for hours. A few years ago we were in the pub inside the stand before a game at Airdrie's new ground and I noticed on the wall an aerial photo of the old Broomfield - I spent the rest of the time there just looking at that one photo.

I think that one above is Easter Road as well. The massive terrace tapered down quite low towards the ends and the terraces behind both goals were quite small. Of all grounds in Scotland, I find the old Easter Road most striking just because that terrrace was so big. When I first saw photos of it I couldn't believe it was the same ground as by that time the covered East enclosure was the smallest part of the ground, probably slightly smaller than even the North side of EEP.

Not a great fan of the big stands behind the goals either, and Stark's Park is the one whose proportions have been distorted most (maybe one end of Fir Park as well) completely destroying the feel of the ground. Strangely though, I always find the big stand behind the goal at Brechin, although totally out of keeping with the rest of the ground, is actually OK for some reason.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 12:04

Many an old terracing I stood on in my youth were created by old coal and shale bings. On a really dry day you just about choked with the dust kicked when a goal was scored. Happy days.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 14:24

Nobody guessed number 1 yet?

Have fans found out Levien is playing his famous 5-5-0 formation again 😉

I'll get ma coat🥺

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 17:08

Just trying to see if I can get this one to load.

A bit cheeky, but I saw this picture yesterday and have been figuring out how to post it.

I've been there (in a manner of speaking) regularly over the years.

Anyone recognise it?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 17:11

Thanks again for this one, Sammer.

I certainly struggled, but there were plenty of clues there if you know where to look - the crane, the scoreboard, the players, the strips.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 17:25

The tenements look more Edinburgh than Glasgow. Powderhall Stadium?

Interesting double circle for penalty area.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 17:49

Could it be Raeburn Place in Edinburgh? Weren't early internationals played there?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 17:55

That was what I have just been looking at Wee Eck - might be right.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 18:15

Original Meadowbank ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 18:16

Or the Scottish cricket ground in Glasgow, Hamilton place or similair
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 18:26

I think it's the Hearts-Hibs Cup Final that was played in Edinburgh - Logie Green?

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 18:28

Research reveals that Hamilton Crescent cricket ground in Glasgow hosted the first Scotland-England football international and Raeburn Place in Edinburgh the first rugby international between the two countries.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 18:33

This has opened a slight can of worms, but I believe the game in question was quite famous.

It is not Glasgow, but Edinburgh.

It's not Raeburn Place, nor any of the Meadowbanks

Nor is it Powderhall, Sammer, but you are very close and I am tempted to give you the points (pending further investigation).
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 18:40

Gymnasium grounds ( I think St. Bernards played there)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 18:51

I missed Stanza's response as I was composing my own.

It is (so I am told, and it agrees with the London Hearts site) the 1896 Scottish Cup Final between Heart of Mid-Lothian and Hibernians (two eastern combinations).

This was played at New Logie Green (legal action from Renton over the semi-final having been rejected).

New Logie Green appears to be across the road from Old Logie Green (previously known as Powderhall) which in turn was just along the road from "New Powderhall".

I assume New Powderhall was where the dog-track used to be.

St Bernard's and Leith Athletic both had 2 spells at Old Logie Green; St Bernard's played at the Gymmie both before and after.

Post Edited (Sat 25 Apr 18:52)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 18:56

Great stuff, never met anyone who knows much about these two teams, plenty Third Lanark, they survived for a long time as well, lack of a permanent ground probably killed any support- I think St Bernards were the Queen's Park of Edinburgh.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 18:58

Any explanation for the weird pitch markings? The goals also seem smaller than full-size, the strips very similar and who is the goalie?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 19:19

Was that not the original markings in the rules? It could also be the crossbar is tape? Queens park were the club who changed a lot of the rules and dimensions that we know today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 21:17

Any explanation for the weird pitch markings? The goals also seem smaller than full-size, the strips very similar and who is the goalie?

Apparently the McDonalds Arch markings for the keeper's area were from 1891-1902. Can you imagine the disputed referee calls on that?

"The goalkeeper’s area was put in place, but it wasn’t the box that we’re used to nowadays. Instead it was in a shape that can really only be described as looking like a pair of breasts. It began a couple of foot either side of the goalposts and curved up to meet in the middle of the goal, but rather than meet as a full curve it came together as the lines do at the top of a Valentine’s Day heart."
https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/football-pitch-markings/

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net