DAFC.net
Home 05 March 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 52 years ago
Topic Originator: AbuBarrie  
Date:   Mon 27 Apr 13:46

I believe it's 52 years ago today when we last won the Scottish cup.
Where have all the years gone?
Can we win it again?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 52 years ago
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 27 Apr 15:22

I think if the ref had awarded a penalty in 2003/4 when Bobo palmed the ball at the corner we would have went on to win that would have put us 2-0 up
Stuart Dougal must have been the only person that never saw it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 27 Apr 16:33

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 27 Apr 15:22

I think if the ref had awarded a penalty in 2003/4 when Bobo palmed the ball at the corner we would have went on to win that would have put us 2-0 up

Well, I was at the game with my wife and two friends, level with the 18 yard line and none of us saw it. What's more, none of the Pars fans around us shouted for it. We went home, bitterly disappointed and blissfully ignorant and only realised we'd been robbed when we watched the TV highlights. Even then, the only Pars player appealing for it was Stevie Crawford, I think.

Of course, we would have had to have scored the pen to go 2-0 up - hardly a given, but more importantly, imo, Larsson wouldn't have equalised right after it. The longer the game went at 1-0 the more frustrated Celtic would have become. At 2-0 they would have been dead and buried. We had actually beaten them 2-1 at Parkhead just a few weeks previously.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Mon 27 Apr 16:33

Busspasspar , I cam across an old video tape of the whole game a few days ago and was watching it again. The Balde incident wasn't picked up , the camera shot at the corner was long range so you could see no suggestion of it. It did show a free kick in the first half to Celtic just outside our box when the resultant free seemed to hit Skerla's hand ( hand down by his side) in our penalty box so the ref didn't see that either.

I do agree with you that had the Balde incident been picked up and a penalty awarded and we scored we would probably have gone onto win the game.

I hadn't realised just how little of the ball we had in the first half, Crawford and Brewster hardly saw it, it was a real backs to the wall job most of the time- it's certainly not how I recall it.

Re the 68 final , my first ever game - wow. Just watched the highlights on COWS, Gardner took his goals so well, they are etched in my memory.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Apr 16:52

Aye G.G.
I like to exaggerate now and again Me and my Son Graeme must have been quite close to where you were seated and we both appealed instantly when we saw the clearance with his hand And the rest as they say is history

wetherby
I remember it well also
Me and a pal went to the first round (i think) game at Parkhead when we beat Celtic 2-0 Gardiner scored the second that day and Robertson the first
We were in amongst the Celtic support which as you can imagine did not go down very well
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Mon 27 Apr 17:00

No doubt about the penalty and mentioned in the highlights
https://youtu.be/jjU91ZPVu2k

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 27 Apr 18:19

"Well, I was at the game with my wife and two friends, level with the 18 yard line and none of us saw it. What's more, none of the Pars fans around us shouted for it"

Ditto

As for blaming the officials - I thought Skerla's goal dubious, many referees would have disallowed the challenge on the keeper.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 27 Apr 18:50

I was behind the goals and wasn't aware of the penalty 'shout' until I got home. That doesn't mean it wasn't one though!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Apr 19:18

wee eck you probably did not realise as Bobo would have had his back toward you

Vee I actually did not realise we had scored until my boy started jumping up and down ... yes dubious but we take those don't we ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 27 Apr 23:29

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Mon 27 Apr 17:00

No doubt about the penalty and mentioned in the highlights
https://youtu.be/jjU91ZPVu2k

It was a penalty as the picture would later show, but I didn't appeal at the time. Tbf some refs would've given a foul for our goal.

On the balance of play we probably didn't deserve to win, **** me though I still can't watch those highlights, what might've been.

That equaliser is awful viewing, why at 1-0 up do we have so few players back for a corner? Why are they both not tight to Larsson? As soon as Celtic equalised I feared for us, couldn't see us scoring again.

As to whether we'll win it again it's absolutely impossible to rule it out. It wasn't so long ago Inverness and St Johnstone won it in consecutive years. If we get back upto the Premiership, become established then we'll be back in the reckoning for it. We'd need to get extremely lucky in the draw but you never know. Since I've started watching Dunfermline over 20 years ago the only teams to win the Scottish Cup are Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United, Inverness and St Johnstone.

Maybe if we get city status we'll win? It doesn't make for optimistic reading though, teams like Motherwell, Dundee and Aberdeen haven't won it in that time and they're all bigger clubs than us, while there's a whole host of clubs around the same size who haven't won either. Will there be a town Scottish Cup winning team in the next 20 years? Realistically every year Celtic and Rangers are miles ahead of everyone else, Aberdeen are desperate while Hearts and Hibs spend big money.

I'm not optimistic. One thing there is to say, in the two decades where we were an established Premiership side for the decade (1960s and 2000s)we got to 3 cup finals in each decade, become established in the Premier, and the finals will come.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 02:14

Labonte at fault for all three? Certainly woeful defending for the first and naive for the other two?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 08:46

I thought we were damned unlucky losing the 2007 cup final 1-0 to Celtic.

Like everyone around me, I was utterly, utterly depressed walking out of Hampden that day. Since 1968, I felt that we never had a better chance to win the cup than that day.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 09:37

Never felt more gutted after a match than I did after the 2007 final and, like everyone else on here, I've got plenty disasters to choose from.

Had Jim O'Brien and Tam McManus not been cup-tied, it might have been a different story as we were somewhat lacking the in the final third that day

Still, that doesn't diminish the kick in the nuts feeling of seeing that late deflected goal go in.

Why did I take it so badly? Perhaps it was the realisation that, despite having followed the Pars since 1969, there's every chance I'll never see us win a major trophy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 11:08

We forgot to turn up for the 1991 Skol Cup Final as well, another major disappointment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 11:30

2006 League Cup final was by far the worst of the three recent ones. That was just terrible, never got close to getting into the game even though we were only a goal down until quite late in the game. I think the 8-1 loss to Celtic a month before it had a big effect, and Leishman just didn't want to be on the end of a score like that in a final.

And, Andy Campbell played in that game. Over more than 100 years not that many players have played in a final for Dunfermline so it still angers me that an absolute donkey like that got a game that day.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 11:35

Balde did hit it with his hand my son and I both saw it. Plus in the 2007 final I saw Mark Burchell being punched by the Celtic player that went on to score the only goal.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 17:04

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 27 Apr 16:33

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 27 Apr 15:22

Well, I was at the game with my wife and two friends, level with the 18 yard line and none of us saw it. What's more, none of the Pars fans around us shouted for it. We went home, bitterly disappointed and blissfully ignorant and only realised we'd been robbed when we watched the TV highlights. Even then, the only Pars player appealing for it was Stevie Crawford, I think.

Of course, we would have had to have scored the pen to go 2-0 up - hardly a given, but more importantly, imo, Larsson wouldn't have equalised right after it. The longer the game went at 1-0 the more frustrated Celtic would have become. At 2-0 they would have been dead and buried. We had actually beaten them 2-1 at Parkhead just a few weeks previously.

I must have been close to you GG. I was right on 18 yard line with wife and son and we were shouting ourselves hoarse for a penalty.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 18:20

Quote:

Malcolm Canmore, Tue 28 Apr 17:04

I must have been close to you GG. I was right on 18 yard line with wife and son and we were shouting ourselves hoarse for a penalty.

Either my hearing went temporarily, or you and your family are the quietest shouters ever, Malky. 😉

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Tue 28 Apr 20:42)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 18:54

"And, Andy Campbell played in that game"

Depends on your definition of the word played.

He was in the team and on the park certainly - otherwise posted missing in action from the first to final whistle.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 21:07

The 2006 final was impacted by the 8-1 defeat weeks before,in the run up to the final I think Jimmy Johnstone had passed away ,and as Celtic do they hijack the occasion.
The talk was Celtic would win 7-0 for Jimmy Johnstone ,I think this had a reason for Leish to set the team up defensively

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net