DAFC.net
Home 05 March 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The most brutal game in history
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 18:17

The BBC have nominated the FA Cup Final replay between Chelsea and Leeds United in 1970, as the dirtiest - let's call a spade a spade - game in English history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192

I watched the game in full, live on the BBC and don't remember thinking it was the worst I'd ever seen, but there were certainly plenty of beefy "tackles" throughout. I wanted Chelsea to win because they had the likes of the classy striker, Peter Osgood, in their side and Leeds were generally regarded as mean and cynical. Looking back, Chelsea had their share of hard, "physical" players, too.

Which game would you nominate as the dirtiest you've ever seen, either live or on TV?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The most brutal game in history
Topic Originator: Gem 1977  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 18:26

Probably Spain v Holland. WC Final 2010.

Here's to the first of the day, fellas! To old D.H. Lawrence.
Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 18:48

Racing Club v Celtic 1967 (choice of two games over there) or Celtic v Atletico Madrid 1974.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 18:51

Without any doubt Celtic v Athletico Madrid. Jinky had a complete boot print on his chest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 20:44

For modern standards, Holland v Portugal at the WC in 2006 takes some topping.

Ref totally lost control and although a lot of it was quite petulant and tit for tat a few of the tackles were pretty nasty.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Superpars68  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 20:46

Child v Italy 1962 World Cup finals.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 21:22

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Tue 28 Apr 20:44

For modern standards, Holland v Portugal at the WC in 2006 takes some topping.

Ref totally lost control and although a lot of it was quite petulant and tit for tat a few of the tackles were pretty nasty.

Agree, there were numerous nasty, dangerous and unnecessary challenges in that game, but I don't agree the ref lost control - that was the lie peddled by both managers after the game. The ref issued something like 18 yellow cards, 4 of which were doubles, resulting in 2 red cards per side. I had recorded the game so I re-ran it and looked at all 18 incidents which induced a card and although a few were borderline, in the context of the game, the ref was justified in cautioning the offenders.

Both teams showed an appalling lack of professionalism and self discipline, in my humble one.

Post Edited (Tue 28 Apr 21:23)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 21:32

Quote:

Superpars68, Tue 28 Apr 20:46

Child v Italy 1962 World Cup finals.

Chile v Italy is a great shout. I've only seen, err "highlights" and it's a like a mass brawl between rival gangs. It was started by the home side and the English referee turned not one, but two blind eyes to it all, so the Italians started to retaliate but were outright by the WC hosts. There were broken noses, broken jaws and head high "tackles", worthy of an 18 if had been a film. Anywhere else and the perpetrators would have been arrested and jailed.

A young David Coleman was quite emotional and visibly shocked by it all.

I've a feeling Sammer may well mention the 1954 WC.......

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 21:44

Daily Mail puts the 1962 Chile-Italy match at No 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5917219/World-Cup-big-battles-including-Jongs-kick-Alonso.html

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 21:45

I think your first choice was a good one GG because although it was a violent game it was also engrossing and saw two outstanding goals scored. The clash between brutal power (Charlton, Hunter, Harris, Webb) and and high skill (Lorimer, Gray, Cooke, Osgood) made it one of the most dramatic games I can remember seeing. It was on BBC Scotland for a change so we saw the whole thing live. And a great many Scots involved too, as when Eddie McCreadie nearly scalped the yelping Billy Bremner.

The other games quoted were awful to watch and a reminder that when football loses its dignity it depresses rather than inspires us.

Holland 2 Brazil 0 was a pretty brutal contest from 1974 which ended up with the right result. Some of the Brazilian tackling late on was in the Fung Fu category, and that was after Rivelino had sucker punched Neeskens in the jaw early doors. Neeskens was brilliant that night but he spent half the game driving through tackles and the rest of the game being cut in half.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 22:03

I’ve not actually seen the Intercontinental Cup of 1967, between Racing Club of Argentina and Celtic; but have read about it.

After the home and away ties were completed, the match was ‘a draw’. The decider was then played in Montevideo and reports are that Celtic’s CEO didn’t even want the team to play, based on the abuse taken during the 2nd game in Argentina. Jimmy Johnstone was, literally, dripping in spit.

What subsequently unfolded is best forgotten, by most accounts.

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Apr 23:09

"I’ve not actually seen the Intercontinental Cup of 1967, between Racing Club of Argentina and Celtic; but have read about it."

From the Celtic perspective.

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

I can't mind if it was Big Jock that didn't want the third game played and was persuaded otherwise by the Celtic chairman, or vice versa - the former I think.

Post Edited (Tue 28 Apr 23:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Helmsdale Par  
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 01:41

Germany v France 1982 World Cup semi-final has to be up there as one of the dirtiest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 07:13

GG Riva: you will remember Dunfermline playing Olympiakos.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 09:03

I was at a Clyde v Queen’s Park derby in the early 80s at Shawfield - the match was complete chaos - after a red card the Clyde forward Danny Masterton even had a punch up with his manager Craig Brown. Incredibly there was also fighting on the terraces and a pitch invasion from the Queen’s fans after a late winner from Ross McFarlane.
Regrettably Clyde legend Danny Masterton passed away in January at only 65.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 09:34

enjoyed that vee
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 09:42

I don't recall the Germany v France game in 1982 as being dirty, in general, aside from that horrific challenge by Schumacher on Battiston?

What I remember is sadness that a France team, with a wonderful midfield, couldn't see out the game, however they were to atone two years later in the Euros

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roobz  
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 10:15

Nobody should be allowed to vote on this until they've watched the Italy-Chile 1962 game on youtube.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 10:19

"enjoyed that vee"

Some absolute horror stories there, I'll need to study the action, haven't seen it for decades.

I think Bertie Auld was sent off but didn't go - and the Tommy Gemmell bit was better than his petulant kickout against Helmut Haller v West Germany.

Goalkeeper Ronnie Simpson was flattened by a missile before the second game started and replaced by John Fallon - at that point Big Jock should have pulled his team off, considering the evidence of hostile intent from the game in Glasgow.

Spitting seemed to be standard practice for these Latin types - Alan Cousin once told me that he was spat upon by players of a certain Italian team during a friendly tour match in the USA.

Post Edited (Wed 29 Apr 10:20)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 11:51

Alan and Jim Cousins were my teachers at the Academy vee
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 12:17

Sounds great, AJ27.

fighting ... pitch invasion ... Queen’s fans

Five words I've never seen in the same sentence. Until now.

I miss Shawfield.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 13:33

Celtic v Atletico and Racing Club was many, many years before my time, but I’ve watched the highlights and I have no idea how some of those players never did jail time never mind getting bookings for some of those challenges. Straight up assault and thank God the game has moved on so far since those dark days.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 17:57

The "Battle of Berne", between Hungary and Brazil at the 1954 WC was a bit tasty, according to Wikipedia.

https://www.google.com/search?q=battle+of+berne+1954&oq=b&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l3j69i57j69i60.1790j0j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Ironically, both teams Hungary and Brazil could lay strong claims to being the best footballing sides at the tournament.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 18:13

Celtic v Athletico Madrid or Scotland v Uruguay in the 1986 WC.

Both however were one sidedly dirty.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Apr 20:17

Clackmannan Juniors v Baillieston Juniors King George v Park Clackmannan 1957

A young Laddie was knocked off his bike sitting at the right hand side of the Clacks goal

A wayward cannonball from the Baillieston centre forward caught him full on his napper

After being attended to by Charlie Tallis and Bob Meldrum with the wet sponge he made significant recovery to cycle home ..... and ah've no been right since :)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Apr 07:09

Quote:

desparado, Wed 29 Apr 18:13

Celtic v Athletico Madrid or Scotland v Uruguay in the 1986 WC.

Both however were one sidedly dirty.

I'll give you Celtic v Athletico - they played a number of fringe players inn the first leg, with the express intention of "stopping" Celtic and who wouldn't be missed in the return leg if they were sent off at Parkhead. The "tactic" worked a treat, a weak, totally inept Turkish referee, failed to act until the last 10 mins, dishing out 2 red cards. The remaining Atletico players comfortably held out for a 0-0 draw and their first choice XI won 2-0 in Madrid. That Atletico team came within a minute of winning the Champions Cup. A last gasp equaliser by Bayern set up the only replayed final which the Germans (thankfully) won 4-0.

Scotland v Uruguay? A dreadful "tackle" produced a deserved red card for Uruguay after 35 seconds. After that, the 10 men resorted to a series of niggly fouls and every kind of "gamesmanship " imaginable. Scotland huffed and puffed for 89 mins without ever coming close to breaking the deadlock. Frustrating? Absolutely, but not a contender for the dirtiest game ever.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 30 Apr 08:38

I don't remember Portugal v Netherlands in 2006 being all that dirty. I think the ref just lost the plot. I remember van Bronckhorst getting sent off in injury time and having a laugh with one of the Portuguese players about how farcical it was.

Forfar fair lost the plot in the play-off game at East End a few years back, although I don't suppose it was that dirty a game as a whole.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Apr 11:33

Quote:

Sliema Par, Wed 29 Apr 07:13

GG Riva: you will remember Dunfermline playing Olympiakos.

Indeed I do, SP. The Greeks lost the plot in the second half, but it wasn't a horror show. Same with Girondins de Bordeaux.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Apr 11:36

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Thu 30 Apr 08:38

I don't remember Portugal v Netherlands in 2006 being all that dirty. I think the ref just lost the plot. I remember van Bronckhorst getting sent off in injury time and having a laugh with one of the Portuguese players about how farcical it was.

Please refer to my earlier post above, DA-go.

Forfar fair lost the plot in the play-off game at East End a few years back, although I don't suppose it was that dirty a game as a whole.

Agreed, some of them lost their discipline, as did Peterhead, who were lucky to finish with 8 men at EEP.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net