DAFC.net
Home 05 March 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Potential New Champions League System
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 30 Apr 09:54

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-new-champions-league-format-21940765

Many of you probably suspected before you clicked through that it wouldn't be great ideas that were being suggested and you would be right.

The new proposals are atrocious and are designed to protect the clubs that traditionally qualify for the CL and keep the teams that have had a great one off season out of the competition.

Domestically it will also further extend the financial inequality between the sides that qualify and those that don't.

It possibly surpasses the protectionist crap we're seeing here at the moment.

Hopefully people fight it but there will be backing to have clubs in the tournament that are money spinners rather than through sporting merit.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Potential New Champions League System
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 30 Apr 11:11

Awful, I haven't watched it for a few years, as I don't know what it is I'm supposed to be watching, how often do actual champions win this thing?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 30 Apr 11:27

Terrible, but not surprising, if accurately reported by the Mirror, lpf.

The major European clubs really want an elite Super League and UEFA keep giving ground to keep them onside, amid threats of a breakaway. Football thrives on competition arising from meritocracy. That has to be updated, season on season. Going back 4 years is a nonsense. It is purely, as you say, to ensure the biggest clubs can have a poor season and not lose their place at the top table.

I don't know if they still do this in Argentina, when relegation is decided. Rather than automatically relegate the teams at the foot of the table at the end of the season, they used to average the points collected over 4 seasons. This made it almost impossible for one of the big teams to go down. I say almost because, a few years back, one of the big Buenos Aires clubs - can't remember if it was River Plate or Boca Juniors, were relegated in spite of the safety measures in place. Maybe it was abandoned after that?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 30 Apr 11:30

Quote:

neils, Thu 30 Apr 11:11

Awful, I haven't watched it for a few years, as I don't know what it is I'm supposed to be watching, how often do actual champions win this thing?

I like watching the top teams with the best players, Neils, but I get where you're coming from. Liverpool have won the CL twice but haven't been English champions for 30 years.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 30 Apr 12:07

At least there's qualification based on the previous year though. They're all in it to try and become the Champions of Europe - so I don't get too worked up about the name.

The proposal to average out the previous years' placings is horrific.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net