DAFC.net
Home 13 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Favourite international tournament
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Mon 11 May 18:41

Having just about run of video footage of the Pars to watch, I've been watching highlights and goals from some of the Euros and World Cups that I can remember. Euro 2000 remains my favourite (from my lifetime!), some great games in the group and knockout stages played between high quality teams - a quick look at the squad lists is frightening. A shame about the hooliganism but purely based on the football it stick out.

What are others' favourites?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Favourite international tournament
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Mon 11 May 18:43

Itv4 showing England v Switzerland euro 96. Just now

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 11 May 19:24

USA 94' and Euro 2008 stand out. England didn't qualify so the television coverage concentrated solely on the teams in action and didn't scoot off at half time to the England training camp. Even without that I remember them for having some memorable games. The other one is Brazil 2014. I remember it as being a goal fest but maybe the stats don't back it up but I thoroughly enjoyed it throughout.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Mon 11 May 19:26

2006 world cup had a lot of good football on show

The Prophet - 12/07/18, 13/06/19, 10/07/20
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 11 May 19:54

I liked the 2000 Euro tournament as well; a lot of close games and a fair number where the lead changed hands. France, Italy, Holland and Portugal had top players that you didn't want to miss seeing. And England lost two matches 3-2 after being ahead.

For World Cups I still can't see past Mexico 1970. West Germany, Italy and England all had strong sides but when you saw Brazil play you realized they were simply too strong for everyone else. Every Brazil game was an event in itself.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 11 May 20:28

Even though the football wasn't great, I enjoyed Italia 90. But Germany 2006 was probably the best major tournament I watched. It helped that Germany was an excellent host with mostly full stadiums and that they did well themselves getting to the classic semi final with Italy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain_K  
Date:   Mon 11 May 20:58

Sammer nails it for me, Mexico 1970. If you ever come back from Station Park on a dark, wet and windy night wondering why football is called the beautiful game, just have a look on youtube for Carlos Alberto's goal from the final. Poetry in motion.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 11 May 21:08

Quote:

dave67, Mon 11 May 18:43

Itv4 showing England v Switzerland euro 96. Just now

If i remember correctly that was a pretty dull game

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 11 May 22:27

Mexico 86 with Hugo Sanchez and Diego

Italian 90 because it was the second summer of love with Madchester going on and Toto Schillaci

Spain 82...a piece of me died inside when Italy beat Brazil with Falcao, Eder, Zico and the chain smoking Socrates

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 12 May 00:07

Spain 82 was full of great moments.

Northern Ireland were fabulous in the early stages, coming out on top of their group, which included the host, Spain. Scotland were disappointing as usual, losing out on goal difference to the Soviet Union. And, joy of joys, England were laughable.

There was a superb match between West Germany and a great France side that ended 3-3 with the Germans, surprise surprise, sneaking through on penalties. That Italy victory over Brazil in the second group stage was unforgettable. And what a group of death that was - Italy, Brazil and Argentina!

Paolo Rossi was the difference for Italy that year. He was on fire and deservedly won the Golden Boot and a World Cup winners medal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Tue 12 May 02:52

I’ve said on here before that the 1974 World Cup was, and is, the pinnacle for me. I fell head over heels in love with Holland, and with a sort of football I hadn’t seen before. Their defeat in the final was so sad (albeit I realise that the West Germans were a great side also) - and around then Bayern were assuming Ajax’ role as kings of Euro club football.
Following that, and probably as a direct consequence, Euro 88 was very memorable. Van Basten exacted some revenge with a last minute semi winner against West Germany - and who will ever forget that goal in the final?
Then there was Bergkamp’s winner vs Argentina in France ‘98! In general though, I love all big tournaments and many here have cited other very memorable teams, games and tournaments. Thanks folks!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 12 May 03:24

Enjoyed the Kirin Cup.

That or when New Zealand played there international team against some travelling Scottish team earlier in the millennium.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 12 May 06:37

Ah the Kirin Cup... The one trophy Scotland can say they've won.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Tue 12 May 21:07

The World Cup in Italy 1990, I was at that and it was brilliant.
The European Championship Finals in Sweden 1992. Again I was in Sweden and still have Swedish friends from then. That was also brilliant.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 60yearapar  
Date:   Tue 12 May 23:31

1986 in Mexico, crowd of us from Carnegies Bar went by various routes then met up over there. 1st night in Mexico City to get our bearings then flew down to Acapulco for 3 weeks, flew back to Mexico City for games where the same taxi driver in merc picked us up took us to game then back to airport. Partying with Danes one of who we bumped into a week later when some of us went to Torremolenos for another weeks holiday. Doesn't feel like 34 years ago
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net