DAFC.net
Home 04 June 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Its coming Home
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 14 May 18:33

The government is "opening the door" for the return of professional football in England in June, the culture secretary has said.

Oliver Dowden said Thursday's meeting with the Football Association, Premier League and English Football League was "positive" and "progressed plans" for the sport to resume.

He added that plans should "include widening access for fans to view live coverage and ensure finances from the game's resumption supports the wider football family".

The Premier League met on Monday to discuss "Project Restart" and hopes for a return to action on 12 June, with matches played behind closed doors.

Wonder if it has any thing to do with the £374 million the clubs would have to have paid back to the TV companies ??
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Its coming Home
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 14 May 19:14

Of course it does, and why shouldn't it be a factor.

All eyes are on bundesliga, then eng. Prem.

Could be too soon, but have to open up at some point and take the hit.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 May 19:15

Meanwhile back in Gotham City :-

The use of 'hub' stadiums to enable Scottish football to resume in front of fans is being considered by the game's Joint Response Group (JRG).

The venues would host "multiple matches over a weekend" with practicalities such as the number of stadiums used being considered in the next fortnight.

Among the other issues discussed during the first two weeks of talks between six sub-groups are social distancing in stadia, closed-door games, online streaming, virtual season tickets, and a change to the summer transfer window.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 May 19:22

Where is this from? At least people starting to have some ideas I guess.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 May 19:29

neils its all on the breaking Beeb sport channel
Only post them for discussion, they are not my opinions or thoughts
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kaiser Chief  
Date:   Thu 14 May 20:02

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/coronavirus-joint-response-group-update-14-may-2020/?rid=13929
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 May 20:52

Quite interesting, at least got the ball rolling, probably not good for our league, but at least some talk of a plan B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 15 May 00:02

Absolute suicide.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Fri 15 May 00:29

It's already home. Starting on Saturday 💛🖤💛

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 15 May 05:36

Money talks.....

but it don't sing and dance and it don't walk.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 May 08:06

Perhaps the Government and the Premiership are motivated by the events currently unfolding in Italy?

SKY Italia has instructed the banks to withhold regular instalments paid to Serie A, amid reports that subscribers are abandoning it like a sinking ship after two months without any football. The cost to Serie A clubs could be as much as €255m. The clubs are squealing that this is tantamount to blackmail.

I've always had misgivings about football becoming too dependent on TV income. Common sense tells us that bubbles can't just keep getting bigger and bigger - eventually they burst. No one could have foreseen this pandemic, for sure, but the writing has been on the wall for some time. TV companies can only keep paying top dollar as long as they have enough subscribers. When they start to abandon ship - for whatever reason - the game is snookered.

It's not too difficult to imagine that this scenario could be repeated here, on both sides of the border.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 15 May 09:08

It probably will GG. I’ll also be interested to see what the viewing figures are for closed door games to previous matches that were televised. I think that once the novelty of having televised football wears off there will be a lot of neutral fans who are not interested in watching soulless, unattended matches. Sky have said numerous times in the past that fans aren’t interested in watching games that are poorly attended and this will look worse. I can see their point tbh. I’ve tried to watch closed door CL games in the past and they are terrible tbh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mars par  
Date:   Fri 15 May 10:46

I've always wondered about this one.

Fairly regularly you'll hear "We are much more reliant on gate receipts than is the case in other countries" from those in power within Scottish Football, as though it's a negative when you compare our game to other leagues that get lucrative TV deals.

I wonder if there will ever be a time in which we benefit from this, if things don't improve and TV companies pull the ladder up will these other leagues be hit much harder than we are? We almost seem self sufficient in comparison.

I imagine there may come a time where teams are reliant solely on supporters' funds and donations. If we receive minimal income from revenue streams out-with our supporters anyway, and if things really start to go south, does this mean we be in a better position to survive?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Fri 15 May 11:32

Although many of us expressed surprise at the remarks, this week, by Murdoch l MacLennan,the SPFL Chairman; Neil Doncaster has come out with much the same remarks in most newspapers today.

He says that Scottish Football is scheduled to commence in mid July with the Betfred League Cup,then the opening weekend of the League Season, then the new five year SKY deal begins the first weekend of August.

This presupposes the prospect of multiple games over a weekend at the larger stadia is acceptable.Both the SFA and SPFL are talking of streamed live football eg by Pars TV.

Ground staff are in for a busy time.

Against that backdrop, many Scientists, and most recently the University of Manchester, argue that one person in three in the U.K. has had the virus and didn't even know it.

Post Edited (Fri 15 May 17:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 15 May 12:26

It's a bad time for all businesses reliant on people attending. I've heard from someone at Heriot-Watt uni that they've already decided there'll be noone on campus in September. Just read that Edinburgh Uni could potentially be on big trouble (£90m p/m goes on estates!).

Same is true of football clubs. Empty stadiums still need maintained. The only real way forward would be to bin the TV deal and look at how clubs can broadcast games with fans paying £x per game or buying season tickets.

I'm not convinced the notion of attempting social distancing with fans is likely to ever happen.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kaiser Chief  
Date:   Fri 15 May 12:58

Murdoch MacLennan is SPFL Chairman, not Marshall.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 15 May 13:13

Too many cowboy films ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 May 15:14

Quote:

Sliema Par, Fri 15 May 11:32

Against that backdrop, many Scientists, and most recently the University of Manchester, argue that one person in three in the U.K. has had the virus and didn't even know it.

If this turns out to be accurate, then just about everyone and their dug is going to get the virus and Bozo will get his "herd immunity" after all. More and more, I'm thinking this virus could turn out to be a fact of life, like the flu and the common cold. We'll get a vaccine for it, but only the most vulnerable will get it in the NHS.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 May 17:29

There is no cure for HIV after 39 years.

We may be facing unpalatable news.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 15 May 17:35

HIVis a totally different type of virus and is now highly treatable and arguably "curable" if picked up early.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 15 May 18:32

Plus you can't catch HIV by simply breathing.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 May 18:36

Quote:

Sliema Par, Fri 15 May 17:29

There is no cure for HIV after 39 years.

We may be facing unpalatable news.

Dunno if that was directed at me, SP, but a vaccine isn't a cure, of course.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davepars  
Date:   Fri 15 May 19:11

Tests of a vaccine in primates resulted in antibodies being produced. That's a start, although most of us are not apes.
Promising news
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 May 20:28

Do you know that there has only ever been one vaccine to cure a virus and that was for small pox.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 May 21:17

Quote:

Big T Par, Fri 15 May 20:28

Do you know that there has only ever been one vaccine to cure a virus and that was for small pox.

Sorry to be pedantic, Big T, but the vaccine didn't actually cure smallpox - it just stopped it spreading from person to person. The last person to die from this horrible disease was a woman in Africa in 1978. Now, because no one in the world has it we believe it's been eradicated.

There are millions of vaccines in cold storage all over the world, just in case it ever makes a reappearance.

Post Edited (Sat 16 May 07:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 May 21:55

No need to apologise sir. I shall be having a word with my source first thing Monday morning. Thank you for the knowledge.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 15 May 22:09

I read an article a few months back which alleged that Russia are suspected of weaponising smallpox.
And they weren't the only country mentioned.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Fri 15 May 22:35

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Fri 15 May 18:32

Plus you can't catch HIV by simply breathing.

You can't catch cóvid 19 simply by breathing either.

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 May 07:17

Twenty years ago,I was a human guinea pig for a number of medical trials at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee.(That may explain a lot ED).

It was the easiest money I ever made and made you feel good helping others.

However, the point I was making above was that, by the time they tested a new drug on humans, they had several years' experience trialling on mice,rats,chimps,monkeys,pigs,Rangers fans etc.

More seriously,it worries me that so many Politicians are being overly optimistic that there will be a cure or vaccine by Christmas.

Post Edited (Sat 16 May 07:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sat 16 May 09:04

They like their war analogies as well, and they were always over by Christmas so why not this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 16 May 09:57

<<More seriously, it worries me that so many Politicians are being overly optimistic that there will be a cure or vaccine by Christmas.>>

I agree. I was listening to a discussion on the vaccine involving three experts in this field and they all agreed that from the day we hear someone say, "We've found the vaccine!", we can add a year at least to when it will be universally available.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net