DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Released players in Scotland
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Tue 19 May 18:47

Quite a few guys been released from The Rangers and Killie today so thought I'd start a thread for players in scotland being released.

Rangers release Foderingham, Halliday and Flanagan with Killie releasing Stephen O'Donnell plus numerous others(not including Kiltie or Thomas)

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Released players in Scotland
Topic Originator: ParsDan03  
Date:   Tue 19 May 19:20

Think Stephen O’Donell was linked with Dundee United.
Heard he has plenty offers down south though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Thu 21 May 09:42

What's the script with O'Donnell? Was he not offered a deal or anything? Just released? For a guy with a good few caps that would be bizarre, although I think he is absolutely guff, at international level anyway.

Hypothetically, if some normality can be resumed this year, I would absolutely love to get Dom Thomas on a permanent transfer. Him and Kiltie would be two unreal signings for this level.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Thu 21 May 10:31

Wonder when we'll hear who's leaving East End.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Thu 21 May 10:40

Dundee have given all out of contract players extensions to the end of June. I hope we do the same, given they are all furloughed and the players would be left with no income if they were released and very unlikely to get a new club during all the uncertainty.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Thu 21 May 10:46

Quote:

Row_ZZ, Thu 21 May 09:42

What's the script with O'Donnell? Was he not offered a deal or anything? Just released? For a guy with a good few caps that would be bizarre, although I think he is absolutely guff, at international level anyway.

Hypothetically, if some normality can be resumed this year, I would absolutely love to get Dom Thomas on a permanent transfer. Him and Kiltie would be two unreal signings for this level.

He knocked back the offer from Killie.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Thu 21 May 10:57

I'd suspect O'Donnell is looking for a move to a big gun, don't really see Dundee United as a step up as much as a sideways move. Probably hoping Celtic or an English championship team come in for him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Thu 21 May 12:00

Hamilton announced who's leaving, Blair Alston being one.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 May 12:05

Would take Alston in a heartbeat.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Thu 21 May 12:09

What a predicament for managers/ finance directors. With no clear date for league resumption you simply cannot predict your income / playing budget.I think caution will be the watchword.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 May 12:14

Exactly, with how cautious our chairman is usually, I don't think we'll see much signing news until we get a starting date for the season. Could work for us, could work against us.

However I might be wrong.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 21 May 12:20

I think probably no signings for anyone beneath Prem. Clubs still will have wage bills for 2021, even 2022 contracts, with no income.

I guess there will be a rush to sign a few premium players on rock bottom money in a one week period, but I can't see anyone able to operate other than a skeleton staff.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Thu 21 May 13:25

its 3 first team players Dundee have extended, we have 10 with 8 or 9 youngsters on top of that, for Dundee it might be an option financially but for us i cant see it.

2 other points from todays Press, still no set date on talks with the out of contract players just they will start soon and the back page is an interview with Dom Thomas who isn't ruling out coming back, described the loan as "really special" and huge praise for the manager/coaches, the club as a whole.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 21 May 13:27

Quote:

par_33, Thu 21 May 12:14

Exactly, with how cautious our chairman is usually, I don't think we'll see much signing news until we get a starting date for the season. Could work for us, could work against us.

However I might be wrong.

Evidence of the chairman's cautiousness? Last week he was a bully.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Thu 21 May 13:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 May 13:54

That's the worse thing about it.

I really feel we have a really good base for next season (before Corona) with a couple of out of contracts re-signing, a couple decent loans, carry on with signing up and coming players, and maybe one or two ' marquee' (Kiltie, Dow type) and we would be in a great place.

This has blown that away though, and now we have to just get through with the minimum (same boat as others)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 May 10:21

“ the back page is an interview with Dom Thomas who isn't ruling out coming back, described the loan as "really special" and huge praise for the manager/coaches, the club as a whole.”

Would love to see Dom come back. He was absolutely brilliant during his spell with us. Wonder if there might be some sort of swap deal on the cards, Nisbet for Thomas and cash? Once we have a restart date/idea of what next season holds, I’d imagine the bids for Nisbet will start coming in. If Nisbet leaves, I’d like to see us spending some of that money to bring Thomas back to East End. He’s brilliant to watch.

Unfortunately though, if he’s available, he’ll have better offers than us. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him go to Dundee United, Hearts or a team towards the bottom of the top flight.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Fri 22 May 13:49

I'd assume after the clubs statement we won't see anyone coming in any time soon

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 May 13:51

Everyone out of contract released. But surprised by that, if the option is available to offer short term contracts. Poor way to treat those players, leaving them with no income and no chance of getting a new club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Fri 22 May 14:01

There is no other option to be fair with crowds not likely until at least Xmas the club don't have much option

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Fri 22 May 14:07

Deleted. Wrong thread.

Post Edited (Fri 22 May 14:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 22 May 16:24

It's going to be pretty frantic when they do announce the start of the new campaign (even though it will be a while off) if every club does the same.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 22 May 16:43

"Poor way to treat those players, leaving them with no income and no chance of getting a new club."

Similar happening across just about every industry etc. in the country, professional sports are not exempt.

Travel giant TUI, for example, talking about 8,000 lay offs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Fri 22 May 20:00

They've not been sacked, paid off, released, let go or made redundant. These players were on fixed term contracts which came to a natural end. All parties knew when their contracts were ending so no surprises there. If they were to be renewed both sides would have to agree on terms and similarly both parties have the right not to enter into discussions. Some of the players may return to us when football starts again but to safeguard the future of the club we can't go signing new players at this time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 22 May 20:34

I just wish that Paton had been on a longer deal. In my opinion he has been an excellent captain.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 May 22:38

Agreed, best since Austin McCann, I like players who shout.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Sat 23 May 09:26

Big ask for paton to hit the restart button after a 8 month break. At 33 years old there is a good chance he will retire
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 May 11:20

Yes, these guys all have to look for a new job..if they exist.

Likes of Beadling, all his injuries are physical or stress injuries, sadly he is miles off being a full time player, clubs won't wait 6 weeks just for three games before he has a hamstring or similair
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 May 22:19

You like players that shout?

I like players that are actually good at football tbh.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 24 May 12:11

Clearing out my planner this morning on my sat box I came across the Hibs game from ? ended 2-2, after being 2-0 down.

Only Ashcroft currently (NOT) playing with us, the rest scattered to all corners of the world, including the management team.

They all change clubs season after season and because we release some players we are the bad boys!

What happened to Herron, a player we all admired at the time?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 24 May 12:36

After leaving us Herron had a season with Raith and then moved to Glentoran. According to Wikipedia he was there for two seasons and has recently joined Larne.

I wonder what happened to his 'agent' who frequently posted on here, singing his praises?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 May 13:10

Even Hibs had some player turnover from that game, Shinnie, Cummings and also their management team.

May well be that they at least got some money in return.

Can't remember the big English striker that played for them, bit of an erse if I remember game at EEP.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 24 May 13:20

Grant Holt maybe?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 May 16:39

Grant Holt embraced the stick he got from our fans when he visited EEP. Exactly what I like to see in a player, not taking it to heart.

Unlike Cummings, who got some very strong stick referring to stuff of his past, both at EEP and when we visited Easter Road.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 May 22:13

Quote:

parathletic, Sun 24 May 13:20

Grant Holt maybe?

Yeah that's who it was!👍
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 24 May 22:52

someone called it right in an earlier post - these are people on fixed term contracts that have completed and (potentially due to the current situation) have not been renewed.

This isn't making people redundant, talk of laying anybody off is wrong... In the industry I work in, most organisations are generally not renewing contracts and many if not most of those whose contracts have run out will be sitting with no income until all this is over and companies start to recruit again...

Its not great but its the nature of working with fixed term contracts - you're not a permanent member of staff, you don't enjoy the company benefits, you're not guaranteed roles... but you can take any skills and experience you gain on the job and move to potentially get more money / better roles / better companies
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 09:12

Ross county announce the release of Declan McManus, Richard foster, Lewis spence and Sean Kelly. Two players have received new contracts, whilst Callum Morris and Marcus Fraser have been offered new contracts.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 09:13

and 10 youths going to taking the total up to 14
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Mon 25 May 09:18

So, that's Us, The rangers, Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Ross County and Queen of the South (along with Dundee's youth players) that have released out of contract players. While Raith, Ayr and Dundee (first team players) have extended contracts for a month?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 09:27

Dundee Utd and St Johnstone in the released category also.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Mon 25 May 09:30

Seems strange we're the only ones getting any hassle for it?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bencrawfordd  
Date:   Mon 25 May 09:38

I think it was down to these factors:

- the headline of 17 players released was easy for folk to react to in an extreme manner
- Amy McDonald’s reaction (which was most likely due to her knowing Richard Foster was due to be released from Ross County)
- lack of knowledge in our squad and people assuming that all 17 players were first team regulars, which simply wasn’t true

Now, I know the latter point isn’t as important as it is still people losing their job. It just seemed like people were completely oblivious to the fact that we wouldn’t be the only club to do the same in the next week or so.

Pars Review: http://www.parsreview.org
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1BVIChsK6v-iTyJnKNf7Eg
Pars Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thedunfermlineway/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 09:58

Quote:

bencrawfordd, Mon 25 May 09:38

I think it was down to these factors:

- the headline of 17 players released was easy for folk to react to in an extreme manner
- Amy McDonald’s reaction (which was most likely due to her knowing Richard Foster was due to be released from Ross County)
- lack of knowledge in our squad and people assuming that all 17 players were first team regulars, which simply wasn’t true

Now, I know the latter point isn’t as important as it is still people losing their job. It just seemed like people were completely oblivious to the fact that we wouldn’t be the only club to do the same in the next week or so.

I think that's certainly part of it Ben, maybe the club in hindsight should've done a separate update with released youth players or in a way that made it clear it was only a few first teamers and a lot of youngsters who haven't taken part in the first team. Unfortunately many people don't read past headlines and believe what they want to believe.

I guess the main difference between us and most of these clubs is that we aren't actively looking to extend contracts at all until we know what is happening in the league, whereas clubs with rich owners such as Ross County have essentially treated this as a normal summer window so far. I understand Amy Macdonald's anger towards clubs not extending these player contracts but at the end of the day with no clarity in our footballing future it would be fairly reckless to treat this as a normal time to extend contracts. Especially when it's a legally murky area, on that point you have to ask why the SPFL has not got clear guidance from HMRC or the government to see if short extensions were in fact liable to be chased up as obviously DAFC fears and where other clubs have decided to take advantage of the furlough scheme.

Let's not forget unlike QotS we still have a fair number of the squad contracted for next season. We've also been targeted due to the status of RM being 1 of the 6 SPFL representatives and the whole debacle with Inverness. All you can hope from our board is they do whatever is necessary to keep this club going even if that means some really hard truths in the short term.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 11:03

We were under no obligation to keep a hold of these players “just because”. The club can’t afford to wait on government backing. This furlough scheme is a lot more hassle than folk think it is. Folk think you just give employees 20% of the wage as normal and the government magically give money that same day to the employer. Unfortunately the world doesn’t work like that. Think we’re getting stick because we were the 1st club and announced a plethora of players. Majority of clubs will be releasing lots of players as they simply can’t afford it.

I genuinely think we’d have only tried to keep Ashcroft out if all 17 of them if the club weren’t in this dire circumstance.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 25 May 11:23

Hang on, has anyone contact Amy MacDonald for a quote? The Daily Record have dropped the ball, surely?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 11:45

And Arbroath are chucking a 3 year extension at Tam O'Brien despite his contract not running out till the end of next season!

All hail king Dick and up the smokies!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 11:53

Lewis Spence, Richard Foster, Sean Kelly and Declan Mcmanus leave County.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 12:14

"I genuinely think we’d have only tried to keep Ashcroft out if all 17 of them if the club weren’t in this dire circumstance."

We did try to keep him apparently but he didn't want to sign. Richard Gordon confirmed on SportSound on Saturday that contracts were offered to some players in Jan but they decided against signing. I feel for anyone who wasn't offered terms in Jan, and that would be 80% of the released players I'd imagine.

Post Edited (Mon 25 May 12:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 25 May 12:28

Sorry, can I be really pernickety as it's quite important. If these players contracts have ran to the end of the agreed position then nobody has lost their job.
Before all this started,i recruited a guy to lay a foundation and slabs for a garden shed. We agreed a price, time, duration, end point and remuneration. He completed his contract and got paid and I didn't renew that contract for him to pay any more slabs (even if i still need a patio done).

I don't think anyone would consider that i laid him off and he as a result lost his job?
Circumstances may not appear the same on the face of our but actually they are.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Mon 25 May 13:53

Declan McManus tweeted earlier praising the likes of Falkirk for what they have done. A veiled dig at other clubs maybe. Surely a stick on to be a Falkirk player permanently next season.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 14:05

Unlikely Falkirk will be playing before January. I doubt he can hang about and wait until then. He's done very well in League 1 with Falkirk, although not well enough. I'm sure a Championship team will take a punt.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 14:38

Would take Spence back, thought he had decent potential when he was younger

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 May 15:59

Has he been released by Stenhousemuir?

We could partner him with Joe and Josh, maybe Higgy too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Mon 25 May 17:11

Declan McManus to partner Nisbet up front?

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 25 May 17:42

Quote:

neils, Mon 25 May 15:59

Has he been released by Stenhousemuir?

We could partner him with Joe and Josh, maybe Higgy too.

I hear Andy Tod is available. Versatile on where he plays. Great fit for us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 May 22:30

St.Johnstone next up on the release list

Steven Anderson is among seven players - including first-team squad members Danny Swanson, Ross Callachan and David McMillan - released by the Perth side.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 26 May 23:14

Steven Anderson is a good organiser at the back, we should have had him in last year
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 27 May 00:56

<<I hear Andy Tod is available. Versatile on where he plays. Great fit for us.>>

All for the cost of a copper. Quite a bargain...

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Wed 27 May 07:03

Quote:

red-star-par, Tue 26 May 23:14

Steven Anderson is a good organiser at the back, we should have had him in last year

He’s finished, on loan at Partick and deemed not good enough. Raith likewise.

Presume your basing your comment on 2-3 years ago and you’d be right.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Wed 27 May 12:16

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Wed 27 May 07:03

Quote:

Deemed not good enough by Raith? That's why they are looking at signing him for next season?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Wed 27 May 12:27

I may be paranoid, but positive the coverage was due to RM's perceived role in beating the Rangers resolution
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Wed 27 May 12:38

Quote:

the saline hill puma, Wed 27 May 12:16

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Wed 27 May 07:03

Quote:

Deemed not good enough by Raith? That's why they are looking at signing him for next season?

If that’s the level of player you want to sign then god help us. Think you’ve got it wrong with Raith as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 27 May 12:41

Nobody will be signing anyone for the foreseeable future.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Wed 27 May 18:05

From this afternoon's press call...

Posted at 17:3417:34

MP raises British Airways employee issue

Merriman goes on to ask what the PM thinks of British Airways putting employees on the furlough scheme but threatening them with redundancy.
Johnson says he doesn't want to go into the actions of individual companies, but adds: "People should not be using furlough to cynically keep people on their books and then get rid of them."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 27 May 20:23

It sounds like BJ has been following the Pars' situation; just as well we played by the book.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GEW35  
Date:   Wed 27 May 22:25

The wee team have today extended the (due to run out) contracts of 14 players to end July to “give them security of income for a couple of months”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 27 May 22:34

Quote:

GEW35, Wed 27 May 22:25

The wee team have today extended the (due to run out) contracts of 14 players to end July to “give them security of income for a couple of months”

What a beautiful heartwarming gesture. Handing out new contracts that someone else foots the bill for

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net