DAFC.net
Home 15 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Survival Package
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sat 30 May 14:43

BBC Radio Scotland "Sportsound" is discussing the offer of a package of many millions to the 42 SPFL clubs by a group of unnamed benefactors with no strings attached.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Survival Package
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 30 May 15:35

Hearts fans who have donated 9m to Hearts in recent times.

I would imagine this is to safeguard Hearts in case they do get relegated and ensure there is a league for them to play in starting in August.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 15:38

Neil Doncaster has just put out a press release welcoming the philanthropic offer with no strings attached.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 30 May 15:44

Could be the difference between us (DAFC) playing games this year and not....

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 15:50

Ann Budge stressed that the funding was to be for the Championship,Leagues 1 and 2.

I wonder how the new money will be distributed.It certainly changes the whole landscape.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sat 30 May 16:16

Budge saying SPFL want it in writing to be discussed next week?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 16:30

All they need is the sort code and account number......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 30 May 16:37

If the money exists (& its easy to assume that this is all part of Ann Budge's strategy to save Hearts necks) then why involve the SPFL? Just write cheques and post them to the clubs in the lower leagues.
And/or be creative and pay directly for the services of the companies who will do this expensive testing for the clubs and donate the additional equipment they will need to get things organised to do their segregated training. This might be more tax efficient.

Post Edited (Sat 30 May 16:42)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 30 May 19:38

Don't trust Budge at all. She's suddenly come across a bunch of pals who want the fund the leagues without any questions?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 30 May 19:55

^^ 100%

complaining the league want to do things by the book....after complaining about the lack of governance, professionalism etc etc.
she is threatening legal action (we will see what the SFA think of that) which could kill clubs yet is the "middlewoman" for a group trying to basically save the same clubs?

the "no strings attached" line certainly caught Doncaster by surprise going by his statement, wonder why that would be?

if this is all above board and happens which gets every team playing or a majority then great but right now, to say im sceptical would be an understatement.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 20:21

For those of us listening to BBC Radio Scotland "Sportsound" today, there was a feeling of History being made.

It was one of the most startling developments I have ever experienced as a Pars fan.

I too was very sceptical at first, but the programme took on an air of seat of the pants broadcasting as much of the broadcast,clearly,went out of the window as the presenters digested what Ann had said.Then came the confirmation from Neil Doncaster, who now hopes to be involved in the discussion with potential investors.The fact they have donated so much to Hearts in the past, the promise of there being no strings attached, and the fact money will be targeted to clubs outwith the top tier, offers such hope.

The Scottish Government was already under considerable pressure to emulate the £16m given by the U.K. Government to English Rugby League.

Could this get Neil Doncaster and Ian Maxwell off the hook?.Both are paid vastly more than the First Minister yet our Leagues and Cups have no sponsor.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 30 May 20:43

A feeling of History being made? No - with or without the needless capitalisation.

A feeling of a desperate chancer trying to coerce lower league sides into siding with Hearts in a reconstruction vote? Yes.

The whole thing on radio was atrocious, with compliant journalists Brian McLauchlin and Tom English once more doing her bidding. Yet again, she was allowed a free run without any kind of questioning. All the 'put in a paper!' ranting of the panelists was an absolute cringe.

Notice that she didn't say the people concerned had put money into Hearts but her two media poodles did as they had obviously been given extra information before the interview aired.

If there is indeed 'free' money to be had by all clubs, without conditions and without any attempt to fudge a different league structure, despite Ann Budge semingly being necessary as a go-between, then great. Given that radio shambles, though, I'm doubtful.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 30 May 20:54

I think if we're honest, league reconstruction would be a good thing and I don't think anyone should have been relegated anyway.
The fairest way was the initial suggestion of making it 14-10-10-10 for one season only and then reset itself which would have satisfied promoted teams and champions plus Kelty and Brora.
Leaving Hearts aside, the relegation of Partick was a disgrace and we shouldn't be washing our hands of this simply because we were safe.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 30 May 20:56

"All they need is the sort code and account number...... "

I would hang up the 'phone at that point !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 20:59

Not quite my interpretation of it Sliema. It came across to me that Budge played an ace card to completely change the discussion which had been focussed on her failure to achieve the required number of clubs to get her way. As a tactic it worked very well because they lapped it up.

The statement from Doncaster sounded to me like he had heard something new today and had previously at least suspected these new funds (if they exist) to be conditional on Hearts not being relegated.

Interesting also to hear the girl from the SPFA. I didn't hear all of what she said so I didn't get her name. She did say that 2 thirds of clubs had been willing to furlough players out of contract and that the SPFA had circulated legal advice to the clubs that they feel confirms that doing that doesn't put the clubs at risk of future liability.

Post Edited (Sat 30 May 20:59)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 21:07

AAPS, where would that leave Brechin as the bottom team in league 2?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 22:07

So suspicion that Budge is trying to buy Hearts a place in the Premiership? How desperate is she getting?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 22:31

Quote:

JTH123, Sat 30 May 21:07

AAPS, where would that leave Brechin as the bottom team in league 2?

They would stay as no playoffs would have taken place

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 30 May 22:55

Why do we need the SFA and SPFL - BBC Radio Scotland "Sportsound" seems to be running things ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 31 May 06:37

Quote:

Sliema Par, Sat 30 May 20:21

For those of us listening to BBC Radio Scotland "Sportsound" today, there was a feeling of History being made.

For context, you also thought that Scott Gardiner was a great bloke through Sportsound.

Maybe Sliema, stop listening too it?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 May 07:51

Grant: Some liars are very convincing.

I did not know the man nor had I heard him before.

In my defence, many others were similarly taken in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 31 May 08:39

Quote:

Sliema Par, Sun 31 May 07:51

Grant: Some liars are very convincing.

I did not know the man nor had I heard him before.

In my defence, many others were similarly taken in.

Scott Gardiner is very well known within Scottish football as being incompetent.

Budge is very well known to be likewise.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 31 May 11:37

You were taken in by Scott Gardiner because he was saying things that fitted with your 'reconstruction at all costs' agenda and therefore you didn't look at it critically. You're now making the same mistake with Ann Budge and have continued with the 'but, but, but, Brian McLauchlin said it only needs a 9-3 vote' line a number of times, despite a number of people telling you why that was probably wrong. Again, you haven't applied any critical thought because they're saying things that give you hope that there will be some kind of reconstruction, however awful it might be.

If someone has an obvious interest in influencing things in a particular direction, you have to take that into account. Which of these is more likely:

1 - she knows people who want to give money to all clubs to keep them alive, but she needs to be the go-between

2 - she's being manipulative and trying to influence a reconstruction decision in her favour with a gesture that could be construed as bribery
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 May 12:22

In 1992 I supported the proposal for a Scottish Super League or SSL to which Dunfermline Athletic was invited.

A huge opportunity was missed.

Today I am in favour of League Reconstruction but it has to be 14--14--14 as SKY demands.

If League Reconstruction fails, we will all need to hold our noses at the outcome for Hearts,Partick Thistle,Falkirk,Edinburgh City,Kelty Hearts and Stranraer.

If League 1 and 2 are mothballed,where do Falkirk or Partick Th go?

Or don't we care?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 31 May 12:33

Why are you so determined for change? Apart from Ann Budge (and we know why she wants it) I’ve never came across anyone as enthusiastic for change as yourself.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 May 13:11

I want to see Dunfermline Athletic in the top tier along with a more equitable income distribution.

The Scottish Championship currently receives 12% of the Broadcasting cake.

That is the most inequitable of any country in Europe.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 May 13:26

Sliema you sound like the spoon salesman in Fawlty Towers.

"Is it possible for me to reserve the BBC2 channel for the commencement of this televisual feast?"

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 17:45

The media are all revealing the identity of the lead Philanthropist.

It all seems genuine.

Christmas has just come early this year!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 18:58

Jesus! I told Ann to keep it quiet. Look, it's fine, I said I'd chuck a few quid the SPFLs way. Just don't come round asking me to borrow my Netflix login. I'm not made of money!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 19:48

Isn't it likely the case is, the people giving money are Hearts fans as we know so on that basis, it acts as a sweetener to the lower league clubs to vote through Budge's reconstruction motion.
I know she's saying "no strings attached" regardless of where Hearts are next season but I somehow doubt this will be the case.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roger Daltrey  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 21:43

Seems bizarre. If they are Hearts fans and they've got millions to throw about, why not just bankroll them in the Championship and build an unbeatable team? Wouldn't be that hard, would it? They walked the league last time they were down. 🤔

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 06:30

The media have identified the Edinburgh Philanthropist as James Anderson, the man who, commendably, was responsible for Hearts FC displaying "Save The Children" on their tops in recent years.

Worth billions he has investments in Amazon,Netflix,Tesla,Facebook,Gucci,Alibaba,Yves St Laurent ,Ferrari,etc.

He and his millionaire colleagues repeat that there are no strings attached though,frankly, if this saves Scottish Football,who cares if it is all a Machiavellian plot to save Hearts?

It would certainly get the Scottish Government off the hook,given they were under considerable pressure to emulate the £16m awarded to English Rugby League.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 07:30

Why does Budge need to be involved if there's no strings? Would it not be easier just to go straight to the SPFL with the offer in that case?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 08:50

Just to note that whilst James Anderson is undoubtedly very wealthy, he is not worth billions. He is a partner in Baillie Gifford, a highly successful Edinburgh firm of investment managers, founded in 1908. They have around £200 Billion of funds under management. There are over 1, 000 staff and an increasing number of partners. They earn fees by managing the funds. Those funds belong to a variety of owners such as pension funds. Ownership and management should not be confused Sliema.

He is undoubtedly worth millions, and has a record of philanthropy. Could be just what Scottish football needs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 15:49

Surprise surprise its now going to all teams. As of spfl rules if its stated as commercial Premier league clubs will get 84%. This was meant to be for lower league clubs ie championship down but within 12 hours of confirming the offer its now getting spoken about all clubs shock.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 15:52

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Wed 3 Jun 15:49

Surprise surprise its now going to all teams. As of spfl rules if its stated as commercial Premier league clubs will get 84%. This was meant to be for lower league clubs ie championship down but within 12 hours of confirming the offer its now getting spoken about all clubs shock.

I haven't see this, where did it come me from?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 15:52

Certain big SPFL clubs wanted James Anderson to sponsor the Leagues ,which Ladbrokes have deserted.

To his credit ,James saw the trap being laid for him and stayed firm in helping all 42 Clubs.

Scotland has the most inequitable broadcasting income distribution in Europe.

Post Edited (Wed 03 Jun 16:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: firescot  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 16:04

So, is the £4.75 million being split equally amongst all clubs? And do you think it’s a sweetener for the latest 5 year reconstruction fudge that the BBC mentions?

Dunfermline 6 Albion Rovers 0. On my birthday as well, thanks very much.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 16:07

Was on the Scottish football podcast yesterday.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 16:09

I hoped it was only for the wee clubs but had an idea the big boys would get some of it as well :(
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 16:15

Well that's was the original proposal I'm sure. The original proposal was to help the clubs lower down the leagues to help them with the situation. That's what I made of it. Premiership can start getting revenue from the new virtual season ticket. But any club from championship downwards have been left with no idea what to do.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 16:52

any new income source has to be put forward to all 42 clubs, as was shown with the championship tv deal which those clubs wanted to keep the money themselves but it went into the overall prize money pot.

Budge saying it would help the lower league clubs seems to have been taken as its only for those clubs, it cant happen if its officially put to the league.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 17:20

Quote:

firescot, Wed 3 Jun 16:04

So, is the £4.75 million being split equally amongst all clubs? And do you think it’s a sweetener for the latest 5 year reconstruction fudge that the BBC mentions?

Now saying £2m in total and it is to be split equally.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 17:32

So, about £48k per club if split equally. Better than a kick in the spuds, but doubt it will ‘save’ clubs....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 17:58

Quote:

firescot, Wed 3 Jun 17:32

So, about £48k per club if split equally. Better than a kick in the spuds, but doubt it will ‘save’ clubs....

That'll help pay Scott Brown for a fortnight.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 18:16

So are Baillie Gifford sponsoring the leagues?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 18:29

£48k would help clubs fund the cost of testing and other Covid-19 equipment, I guess.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 19:35

This has nothing to do with a new sponsor for the Leagues.

Though certain big clubs hoped it might be......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 19:58

I doubt 48 k will go anywhere near doing tests for all football staff for a season

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 21:51

Given clubs have quoted anything between £4000 and £10,000 for testing there,clearly,is no definitive sum as yet.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 10:56

I still struggle to see why this money has to go to the top league when it was proposed as a lifeline for lower league clubs. These teams can now sell virtual season tickets, shirts etc. Other leagues can't do anything as no league start date etc shambles yet again.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 11:19

Cammypar: you are spot on.

When word broke of James Anderson's philanthropy it was said the funds were for clubs outwith the Premiership.

Behind the scenes there is much discussion between the clubs as the SFA and SPFL endeavour to find out how many clubs could restart in the autum.

A one Season one League with the Premiership Clubs plus a few others has not yet been entirely ruled out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 11:28

Someone needs to sit us down & explain in really slow, simple, easy to understand terms why Celtic & most of the other top flight clubs should get a share of this cash. Rangers have just signed Ianis Hagi for a reported £3 million then accept this £48k.

It's an absolute disgrace & the whole thing stinks. It's just a bribe to allow Hearts reconstruction to be voted through & I'd rather mothball til fans are allowed back in than accept the same brown envelope that the Old Firm receive.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 13:35

I want to see the breakdown as I bet the 84% rule will be in place. I hope the boy pulls the plug as this has went against the whole idea behind the proposal.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 14:44

If Budge gets her way and the top league gets underway. What is the plan for the rest of us. We have probably got a support in the top 10 in Scotland are we going to play games. Budge has bribed others to allow Hearts to play in the top league. Apart from the few thousand pounds getting handed out, we the remainder of Scottish football don't seem anyone fighting our case. Premier league clubs are selling season tickets, I don't think any of the rest are. Does that mean we are not going to have football to watch this season?

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 14:53

Greenock Morton are planning for an October start to the Championship and hope to be able to stream games live, says chief executive Dave MacKinnon.

The broadcasts would be available to season-ticket holders and "potentially" subscribers for one-off games.

MacKinnon, who is not planning for full crowds at games until 2021, says a camera system will be installed into all second-tier grounds.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 15:51

You lost me at Morton and full crowds.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 18:34

Will social distancing affect Morton?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 5 Jun 08:51

Unfortunately our crowds for most games was nothing startling this season. Indeed someone else worked our crowd if social distancing was in place. If we only had our support at a game we could all get in. If we were to get the walk through thermometers that will be used at airports I would imagine with face coverings that games could restart with fans. The other teams with all seated stadiums could also start up again. To me, the media are only interested in the "BIG" teams in England and Scotland. It's a wonder that they haven't pushed for a British league, that would include our big 2 and dismiss teams like Burnley and others smaller clubs.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 12:11

James Anderson has said another philanthropist will put £1.25m into Scottish Football.

This comes on top of £3m from FIFA of which one seventh will go to the women's game.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net