DAFC.net
Home 25 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Paul Paton
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 16:54

Just head his interview seems gutted about leaving, Speaks about the chairman not calling him and only sending him a text, along with the younger boys that were let go.. Does not sound great, although he says does not hold it against the chairman.

Was asked if he was bitter about how he was let go, said he was for a couple of days but he loved his time with us.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Paul Paton
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 17:03

where is this interview, RMG?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 17:03

The football show with Peter Martin and Alan Rough
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 17:05

I think we really do need a clarification as to why we are not using the Furlogh Scheme, I know the stories about whether or not HMRC would be investigating but the Scheme has been classed as legal from the PSA
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 17:08

Quote:

RMGpar, Mon 1 Jun 16:54

Just head his interview seems gutted about leaving, Speaks about the chairman not calling him and only sending him a text, along with the younger boys that were let go.. Does not sound great, although he says does not hold it against the chairman.

Was asked if he was bitter about how he was let go, said he was for a couple of days but he loved his time with us.

By text, that is poor form if true
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 17:09

Followed bu a 10 min meeting with SC
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 17:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv-jKjTtiIY

the interview is about an hour in to it.

Crawford spoke to him then he got a text from McArthur was how I took it but if the Press is to believed, McArthur was speaking to the players in the weeks up to the actual decision.

edit: from the Daily Mail piece with McArthur last week

"'We took the manager off furlough and Stevie spoke to them all this morning"
"'I have been in contact with the captain over the last couple of weeks and we have tried to wait as long as we could to see if things were getting any clearer"

Post Edited (Mon 01 Jun 18:03)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 17:47

48.30 in

A very interesting interview. I'm really surprised that the club captain didn't receive a phone call.
I assume the other 16 players didn't receive one either?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 18:20

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 1 Jun 17:47

48.30 in

A very interesting interview. I'm really surprised that the club captain didn't receive a phone call.

Agreed. Surprised and very disappointed

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 18:50

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 1 Jun 18:20

Quote:

48.30 in

100%. For all the good that has been done by the board for the club in the past few seasons these small details stick. Poor way to be treated as club captain in my opinion.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 19:18

Quote:

StevenPar77, Mon 01 Jun 18:50

Quote:

Quote:

48.30 in

100%. For all the good that has been done by the board for the club in the past few seasons these small details stick. Poor way to be treated as club captain in my opinion.

Everyone on this forum slaughtered Paton weekly, Crawford was given pelters for signing him....amazing how good he’s become, best leader since Norrie was a quote on Twitter.

Good player in my opinion but was a near lone wolf at games.

Sure the archives will show more than 1 Paton being finished thread
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PostmanPar  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 19:28

I don’t think people are saying if he was a good signing or bad signing, that’s irrelevant, I think what’s being said is he was club captain and deserved better treatment
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 19:33

My understanding is that Stevie Crawford, The Manager, was brought back from Furlough, specifically to speak with each of the players who were leaving at the end of their contracts. This he did.

Is the suggestion that the Chairman should then have spoken by telephone to each of the 17 players rather than sending them a text (which I assume thanked them for their services and wished them well -- but I don't know)?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 19:35

Ehh no they didn’t. Some did but a lot of people on here praised Paton’s input to the club. He wasn’t the best player in the park but always gave 100% and we will seriously miss his experience next season.

Post Edited (Mon 01 Jun 19:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 19:42

He was a great club captain last season.
You could see how much he'd worked to lose the pounds and lost counts of the number of times he would chase and chase a younger opponent with a grimace on his face but made the tackle.
It certainly went down with the fans in the NW who appreciated it.
Going by the interview, he's as much disappointed we didn't furlough for another month not just for him but for the younger players who live month to month with bills to pay and no immediate prospects of finding a club anytime soon due to this crisis.
I personally think RM was wrong to call this the way he did and I really don't believe Stevie Crawford would have released Paton in normal circumstances.
I'm sad to see him go as good captains are very hard to find.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 20:31

Thought he was a great part of the team. We had a lot of good, quick, attacking players and Paul was something different. Like many, I wasn't convinced to begin with but love that sort of player who gets stuck in and runs himself into the ground with enough quality to make a difference.

Tough times of course but not extending the captains contract for a month or two is looking more n more of a daft decision.

All things being equal between two clubs going for a player....why would that player sign for us after this?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 20:42

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Mon 1 Jun 19:18

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

48.30 in

Everyone on this forum slaughtered Paton weekly, Crawford was given pelters for signing him....amazing how good he’s become, best leader since Norrie was a quote on Twitter.

You've utterly missed the point.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 21:00

Paton , Ashcroft ,could we really have furloughed them ,I would imagine they would have been on more that the £625 per week furlough allowance ,so could we legally furlough them on less than thier contact allowed?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 21:00

That is the way football is... pro youth players are just given a message basically saying don’t come back... and these are 10 year old kids.
If everyone thinks our chairman is a saint then so be it but he is a businessman and knows what to do. It’s **** for the 17 players but RM has a job to do and decisions to make.

Post Edited (Mon 01 Jun 21:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 21:17

Not trying to be funny but every football team works by text or e mail..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 21:34

Give the club a break - of course Paton is disappointed but let’s not destroy the chairman. If I lose my job I expect it will be my manager who tells me - I don’t expect the Chief Exec will get involved.

After Hearts yesterday, Livingston have now released players today - it’s a tough world we’re in at the moment - the number 1 priority is that when we get back playing Dunfermline are still a participant - we simply can’t afford to take any risks with the HMRC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 21:45

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Mon 1 Jun 19:18

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

48.30 in

A bit of a sweeping statement. You are wrong, not everyone.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 21:48

Kind of agree with EEP and above, I can't imagine the workload and stress of the chairman and board, they probably also are trying to salvage their own business on top of the football club.

In short, all clubs have to get any cost as close to zero to survive, impossible of course, but like all businesses just trying to navigate through the carcrash that is Corona.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 22:34

Honestly it’s a shot world we live in now but we have to accept it tbh.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 22:39

I pretty much always back the chairman but I think the captain deserves better than a text to say he's no longer needed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 22:55

Sounds like he got more than that. The manager apparently told him to his face.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 23:01

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Mon 1 Jun 22:55

Sounds like he got more than that. The manager apparently told him to his face.

That's more like it. Glad to hear it

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 23:29

I thought SC spoke to all the players whose contracts were not extended. Greg Shields might have been more appropriate for the younger ones but I don't know if he was involved.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EdmontonPar  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 06:44

What’s going on in the photo behind roughie in the video. Looks a little risqué to say the least. Lol

Only seen when he’s full screen
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 08:35

Paton was offered a contract in January.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 09:22

Highly doubt he was offered a contract, cause if he was he would’ve snapped it up. In the video he says it’s the most he’s enjoyed his football in years
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 09:31

"Highly doubt he was offered a contract, cause if he was he would’ve snapped it up. In the video he says it’s the most he’s enjoyed his football in years"

Could've been on reduced terms tho.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 09:42

Could’ve but you’ll never know
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 09:57

"Could’ve but you’ll never know"

Exactly
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 09:58

Was he wanting a brass band type parade to see him off ffs!
By all accounts the manager spoke to him personally. The chairman didn't have to speak to him at all but sent him a courtesy text.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 10:58

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 1 Jun 23:29

I thought SC spoke to all the players whose contracts were not extended. Greg Shields might have been more appropriate for the younger ones but I don't know if he was involved.

Would assume it was all left to SC rather than 'unfurloughing' two staff members.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 12:03

That's a good point, Jj. Presumably by involving SC the club disqualified him from the furlough scheme and will have to bear the full cost of his salary now. I would guess RM isn't covered by the furlough scheme as he's not paid but the club may have felt the contact with the players should be from the manager even if this incurred a cost.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 12:26

I think that version of events has been confirmed on the East End Bounce forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cougared  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 13:02

RE furloughing Paton. I'm certainly no expert but ..and I'm assuming that his contract was at an end.

..... so the club would have had to give him another contract in order to tell him not to come to work and make him eligible for the furlough scheme. I dont think you'd be allowed to employ somebody one day and furlough them the next. It'd be a bit like the local pub taking on 40 bar staff then putting them on furlough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 13:49

You can extend a players contract before it ends - thus if Paton has contract ending 31 May it could have been extended to 31 July within the rules and principles of the furlough scheme
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 14:35

Quote:

Parahandy, Tue 2 Jun 13:49

You can extend a players contract before it ends - thus if Paton has contract ending 31 May it could have been extended to 31 July within the rules and principles of the furlough scheme

Really? I wish you'd said before.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 14:56

The starting point is that Dunfermline Athletic have opted to play all of its furloughed staff 100% of their contracted salaries from March. (Many companies and indeed football clubs have reduced the salaries to 80%.) This means that they are picking up 20% of the wage bill currently and rather more for those above the furlough cap of £2,500 per month.

The Club has chosen not to add any more costs by extending contracts to those coming out of contract at 31 May 2020. I imagine this is driven by the considerable uncertainty currently afflicting Scottish football. They have opted to treat all 17 the same in this respect.

They have taken advice (from two sources) on the possible operation of the anti-avoidance provisions of the legislation. There is a concern that where a job is not otherwise going to be retained, and persons are placed on furlough having had a contract extended for a further short period, then there is a risk that HMRC will seek to recoup the full furlough grant assistance given to that employer for those employees. This is particularly in point because of the publicity given to the matter from the PFA, and some of their members. They have advocated that out of contract players should have their contracts extended at 80% for a month or two because very few clubs are likely to be hiring at present. This salary cost would be fully at the expense of the government.

Many clubs, including Ross County, Hearts, Livingston have concluded, as with Dunfermline, that this gives an unacceptable business risk at a point when no income stream is in sight. More clubs will be letting out of contract players go I have no doubt.

In Dunfermline's case, paying those with newly extended contracts for a couple of months at 80%, whilst the rest of the staff are paid 100% would , in my view, be particularly provocative and raise the possibility of action from government.

We could of course pay Paul Paton 100% of salary for a contract extension, but that would add costs to the wage bill.

Post Edited (Tue 02 Jun 14:59)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: poborsky  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 17:16

Having practically done nothing the past two months other than try to interpret and apply the rules of the Job Retention Scheme I don’t think anyone has any certainty on how it will play out in the context of football players contract extensions.

I thought St Mirrens statement today was interesting, and a bit clumsy. It said players “will be retained under the furlough scheme before leaving the club”. The scheme is the Job Retention Scheme and allows for grants to be claimed to help keep employees in employment who otherwise would be made redundant. The ability to reclaim the furlough grant ends when the employee returns to work or you decide to make that employee redundant. It would appear, to me, that St Mirren have already made that decision. Does that invalidate their future furlough claim?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 17:36

The lack of certainty and guidance is certainly a major issue with the JRS for football clubs with short term contract extensions. I am in agreement with Poborsky.

The St Mirren statement is interesting. Not convinced by their drafting.

Raith Rovers have updated their statement to say that they are still considering the future of players on contract extensions. That is fine, but the matter will be judged retrospectively and 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. Also I don't know if they have reduced all their salaries to 80%, or are some on 100% and some on 80%?

Post Edited (Tue 02 Jun 17:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 18:56

I see Partick Thistle have extended some players' contracts until the end of June, including one J Cardle.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 19:15

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 2 Jun 18:56

I see Partick Thistle have extended some players' contracts until the end of June, including one J Cardle.

Either they're determined to use up some of the money they got from their late benefactor, or they think Ann Budge will get her reconstruction package through.

Then again, JC would be a good assets in League One. If they play next season.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 19:18

I for one hopes Joe gets a contract, I also feel the same for our lads.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsdaft  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 22:09

It’s been known for Captains to leave even when offered a contract with not to much communication with the club. It
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 13:37

If indeed is the way it went bit poor from us but can totally understand why and if it means saving the club well its something we have to do I'm afraid.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 13:48

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Thu 4 Jun 13:37

If indeed is the way it went bit poor from us but can totally understand why and if it means saving the club well its something we have to do I'm afraid.

Which part is poor?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 14:56

Indeed, it seems to have been handled professionally.

Unfurlough the manager, he speaks to all out of contract players, explaining that we reluctantly can't offer them anything based on the current circumstances.

The club chairman then follows this up by texting them personally, wishing them the best.

I bet there's far shoddier treatment than that going about in Scottish football.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net