DAFC.net
Home 25 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Black lives matter
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 15:32

I see Liverpool players took a knee a la Colin Kaepernick NFL Quaterback who knelt during the American Anthem to protest at police brutality against African Americans in 2016 and has since been frozen out of playing the game .
Chelsea players knelt in the pattern of an H to show we are all humans ,against the backdrop of what is happening in the USA we can but hope the small minority of racists at football matches can be driven out by right minded people.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Black lives matter
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 15:47

They'll not be driven out of the USA that's for sure. They run the place!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 16:07

Apparently taking a knee was verging on treason, imagine how much easier it could have been for all involved if the clearly important issues were dealt with then?

Or if they were dealt with at any of the many opportunities the US has had to deal with its Apartheid system over the past couple of centuries.

The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel the warmth.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 16:26

It's a shame the only way for justice is to riot, otherwise no one would notice, and nothing would be done.

Same happened here in particular the Brixton riots, where if you were a black man it was hard enough, but a black man with a fabricated criminal record (standard behaviour for police at that time) was ruined.

A sharp reminder to us in times where our civil liberties are being pulled back , the police are NOT the law, and in the case of the named person act, the educational establishment is NOT this area.

Recent cases of abuse (Rotherham, Churches etc.) tells us that the source is supposedly our protector, open to abuse and covered up.

Good on the footballers here, it's good for them to show solidarity, empathy even.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 19:42

I wonder if there are any stats on the ethnic make up of US police officers? I wouldn't imagine there are too many African Americans who would make that career their first choice.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 20:03

Agreed GG, in some of the southern counties it can be pitifully low, some 4% with a majority black population.

My own thoughts which apply to this country as well, for most things doesn't need to be the actual proportion, I get for some areas there are disparities, cultural also. But I would like to see a representation of the actual country I live in.

Off topic for me, prefer to stick with football here, but it defines countries, and our future. If we can't get this right, were doomed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 21:16

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 2 Jun 19:42

I wonder if there are any stats on the ethnic make up of US police officers? I wouldn't imagine there are too many African Americans who would make that career their first choice.

77% are white, 13% black. Exactly the same as in the population as a whole.
https://datausa.io/profile/soc/police-officers

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 21:49

Can hide a multitude of sins.some of the southern are grim.

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/police-department-officer-demographics-minority-representation.html

I'm done with this thread, I will stick with football.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 2 Jun 22:18

Floyd George died after being restrained by a policeman called Derek Chauvin.

Anthony Grainger was shot dead in Manchester in 2012 by an armed policeman called Q9. Not a very common name.

The disciplinary case against the local police force collapsed today- yes, that’s 8 years later- when redacted material from a closed session ‘public’ enquiry was denied to the prosecution. It was claimed the Assistant Chief Constable was guilty of corruption: he had altered logs after the shooting to justify the armed response to Grainger, who was unarmed when killed.

I would suggest that the protection given to police officers who kill civilians in the UK is probably greater than in the USA.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 00:34

Just watched a short video from the protests where a national guard officer took one knee, addressed the crowd as equals and sympathised with their protest. Told them that they were there to protect property and that if they continued to protest in a peaceful manner that the guard would withdraw to the periphery to deescalate the situation. He treated the crowd with respect and was given it back in return. Cut to LA where the police were tooled up and started firing into people who were quite obviously protesting peacefully. It would appear that some are using the protests as a front to go out and loot as well. Must be difficult to gauge as a commander but surely the response has to be proportional to the mood and actions of the crowd?

Admin.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 11:30

A Black police officer shot and killed by looters last night.
At end of the day every live matters.
Every race is guilty of killing each other, it is pure hatred and hate being shown during these riots is way beyond protests.
MLK would be appalled. Lots of peaceful protests and violence is undermining the protests.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 12:47

"77% are white, 13% black. Exactly the same as in the population as a whole."

Might be just co-incidence, however a number of the local Police Chiefs interviewed appear to be black.or other ethnic minority.

There was a fatal shooting of a black man in Georgia by a retired cop which seems to have slipped under the radar over here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYaMwJgpS8Y
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 13:08

Really interesting ,a footballer in Hungary took his top off and showed a message of support for black lives matter has-been told if he does it again he will be suspended ,I believe Hungary has quite racist Prime Minister,in England lots of Premier teams have been in support of this ,but we will see if ,any players who have messages on thier underarmour get disiplinary action taken .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Fri 5 Jun 19:04

We need another extinction event where we all eventually come back as purple blobs of talking coral.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 5 Jun 20:26

It actually varies quite significantly from state to state for instance :-

21% in Chicago

43% in Baltimore
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Fri 5 Jun 21:26

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 5 Jun 20:26

It actually varies quite significantly from state to state for instance :-

21% in Chicago

43% in Baltimore

Well yes, but obviously the ethnic mix varies in different states, cities etc as well.
EG Blacks represent 33% and 63% respectively of the Chicago and Baltimore populations.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 5 Jun 21:36

Well yes but obviously :- Stanza these are African American police statistics not ethnic police statistics
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net