DAFC.net
Home 18 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Ten Years
Topic Originator: JRC  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 16:03

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a long post but I just thought I would write about the past ten years.

I put a post on here back in 2010, explaining that my Dad was a huge Pars fan who sadly passed away in September 2009, at the age of 55. Even though I was brought up in England, and support Coventry City as my main team, I always had the Pars as my team in Scotland. I also support Scotland over England, but I digress. I wrote about the 2-1 victory against Dundee in March, 2010, which was one of the coldest games I ever attended. I made a pact with myself that I would attend one at least one game per calendar year at EEP, and have it as a personal memorial to my Dad, whose ashes are also scattered underneath a tree in the Abbey.

Ten years on, I kept my promise, having been to a game every year since. I have been lucky in that two of these games were memorable, the Martin Hardie game against Raith Rovers in 2011, and the 3-1 victory against Brechin in 2016. The latter game moved me to tears. Some of the games were awful, like the last game of the Premiership season against Kilmarnock, and the defeat to Airdrie in 2013, with the club's very existence under threat.

These were my ten games throughout the decade:

Tuesday, 30 March 2010: Pars 2-1 Dundee (Championship)
Saturday, 23 April 2011: Pars 2-1 Raith Rovers (Championship)
Saturday, 12 May 2012: Pars 1-2 Kilmarnock (Premiership)
Saturday, 4 May 2013: Pars 1-2 Airdrie (Championship)
Saturday, 10 May 2014: Pars 3-0 Stranraer (Play-Off)
Saturday, 18 July 2015: Pars 1-2 Hibs (Friendly)
Saturday, 26 March 2016: Pars 3-1 Brechin (League One)
Saturday, 29 April 2017: Pars 3-1 Morton (Championship)
Friday, 26 January 2018: Pars 1-2 St Mirren (Championship)
Tuesday, 29 October 2019: Pars 2-0 Arbroath (Championship)

In this time, I have also seen us away to the other three league teams in Fife. A 4-0 victory away to Cowdenbeath, the 3-0 humping to Raith Rovers in the cup, and a penalty shoot out against East Fife. I know that my once a year visit to Dunfermline is absolutely nothing in comparison to the many who go to the games regularly, but n 2018, whilst living in the Highlands I left work in Tain at 3pm on the Friday, made it to EEP for the St Mirren defeat, then drove through the night to Coventry, grabbing a few hours' sleep before driving to Milton Keynes to see our FA Cup win, before driving back to Tain for work on Monday morning.

I sincerely hope that fans will be allowed back into stadiums at some point in 2020, for multiple reasons, but also in maintaining my promise.

I have also been exceptionally lucky. In 2013 I decided to study for a Masters degree, whilst still working full-time. Having come from a family of coal miners, and being of the first generation to not work down the pits, I wanted to explore the link between the club and coal mining, setting my work within the fractured decade of the 1980s. From my initial post on here, I received such amazing help and support, most notably from Donald Adamson and Jason Barber. I was able to speak to Jim Leishman, Roy Barry and Ian Westwater, all of whom were fantastic. This truly is a special football club. My dissertation was kindly included here:

https://daht.org.uk/pdf/JamesCanavan_Dissertation_2015.pdf

I love this football club. Whilst they may be second to Coventry City in my affections, having supported the Sky Blues since 1989, my once a year trips are deeply special to me. Like many of us who have lost parents, I wish I could have gone to these games with my Dad, but what I have done since is the best I can do.

I also bought a Pars top from all of the past ten years, but when I went to Malawi in 2017 to volunteer I ended up giving them away. If anyone does have anything in their collection they are willing to sell please let me know.

Apologies for the long post, I was just reflecting on my Pars journey over the past decade, and like all of us, I hope to be back at EEP again soon. Come on Ye Pars.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Ten Years
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 16:09

fantastic post JRC
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 16:10

Had me welling up there, let’s hope your promise can be kept and we can all get back to some kind of normal this year
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 16:13

Good on you .....JRC Lovely post
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 17:10

Nice one JRC, your dad would be very proud of you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 18:05

JRC, thanks for reminding us what supporting a football club is really all about.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 18:35

Quality stuff JRC . Haste ye back !

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 18:36

Stay in touch JRC.

Always great to see you.

You do your Dad proud.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 18:51

Great post mate. Hopefully, were allowed in the stadiums next season so you can keep the run going.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 19:43

Fantastic post. Fingers crossed the stadium is open again soon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 19:52

I can remember you posting ten years ago JRC. It"s great you"be been able to stick to your pledge! It"s a moving story. Thanks for sharing. That's brilliant you've met Roy Barry ... a legend with both your teams. If you don't mind me asking, what took your dad to Coventry, and you to Tain?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 20:44

Wow JRC pretty sure I remember your original post - was that 10 years ago already!

Top man for supporting Scotland too.

Shame you missed Coventry's finest moment by a couple of years!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 20:46

Good stuff JRC, I know how the Pars gets into your blood. I love going to East End Park when I am home every few years. It brings back fantastic memories of my dad too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 21:30

Fantastic post!

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 21:45

Here is your link bud.

https://daht.org.uk/pdf/JamesCanavan_Dissertation_2015.pdf

Post Edited (Sun 07 Jun 21:46)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 23:58

quality mate

The Prophet - 12/07/18, 13/06/19, 10/07/20
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 00:47

Excellent post, James. Glad you're still managing to fulfil the promise you made in honour of your dad, AND that you've had memorable times in doing so.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 02:02

Top post JRC.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 06:00

Fantastic, heartwarming post, JRC. I see you haven't been up in 2020 yet. I hope there'll be games you can attend before it ends. Even if it's with a limited no. of fans, I'm sure the club will be able to "squeeze you in", if you get in touch beforehand.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 06:20

Hear hear! I am sure the club will help you out when the time comes, JRC.

Thanks for reminding us that for a lot of fans supporting the Pars is a generational passion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 07:43

Thank you so much for all the fantastic replies, I really do appreciate them. Just to follow up on a few questions, both sides of my family moved down south in search of work when the pits started closing in Scotland. I was born just before the miners strike started in 1984, and I have always been deeply fascinated by this period. My Mum finds it amusing that I chose the Pars over her team, as she is a huge Celtic fan.

I ended up in Tain in 2017 because I always wanted to spend some time living and working in the Highlands, and decided to take the first job I was offered up there. I went to see Brora Rangers and Ross County, saw the Pars away to Cawley Thistle, and still managed to see 25 Coventry matches in the season.

I did miss City’s cup win in 1987, but I did bizarrely spend a week living with our FA Cup winning captain, Brian Kilcline. Him and his wife run a guest house in a secluded part of southern Portugal, and we were the only guests. It was pretty cool sitting around drinking beer with him, with him wanting to chat about my travelling and me wanting as many 1987 stories as possible. I was very relieved that, after 28 years of supporting City I saw us win at Wembley in 2017, and then again a year later. Having seen the Pars lose cup finals, to see us win at Hampden in a final would be incredible.

Roy Barry is a fantastic human being, as is his wife. I never envisaged when I was freezing outside EEP in 2010 that I would have all these wonderful memories. On some of my trips I have gone alone, some I have met up with Donald, who is one of the best people I’ve ever met, and others I have dragged family and friends along. All have left with an affinity for this great club.

TownsvillePar, does that relate to the place in North Queensland? I have been there as I travelled from Sydney to Cairns in 2016. I saw the Cowboys play against the Storm there.

Like all of us, I cannot wait until fans can return, and it will be an emotional day for everyone. The beautiful thing about DAFC is that there’s a genuine care, and a real sense of connection.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 08:47

Uplifting stories, JRC and much appreciated in this awful time of uncertainty for many.
Good luck to you.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 10:37

Great story JRC, my wife's brother was at a bit of a dead end up here and followed Roy Barry down to Coventry, living up the Foleshill Road. He then moved out to Bedworth, becoming a self employed lorry driver, mostly delivering car parts to the UK and Germany.
We were down visiting him in 1972 and I was involved in some pre season training with Binley Miners FC, who actually offered me a contract and a job in one of the car factories!
I turned the offer down and came back up to Scotland, my Brother in law returned in the 80's.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 11:55

That’s a great story, Lochgelly. My Dad spent a bit of his childhood in Lochgelly, and we used to live in both Coventry and Bedworth.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 11:57

Excuse me - it's Lo'gelly, ken ?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 13:07

A wonderful post James.

It would be an absolute pleasure to meet you when fitbaw returns!
Take care x

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 16:47

Quote:

JRC, Mon 8 Jun 11:55

That’s a great story, Lochgelly. My Dad spent a bit of his childhood in Lochgelly, and we used to live in both Coventry and Bedworth.

Cheers JRC, quite a big Scottish colony down there in those days.

Yer quite right Raymie!👍😉😉😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alecm  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 17:15

Didn't realise there were other Pars fans down in Cov or B'dith..Wembley v Oxford Utd. 44000 of the 70000 fans was special day. Roy Barry is well remembered in Cov in spite of replacing fans favourite George Curtis. Hope you make back to EEP later this year....after 28 years down there I can now walk to EEP ...even with the Kessock Bridge Tain was too far atb PUSB and COYP

A.M.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jun 00:35

TownsvillePar, does that relate to the place in North Queensland? I have been there as I travelled from Sydney to Cairns in 2016. I saw the Cowboys play against the Storm there.

Hi JRC, it certainly is the place! Townsville has been my home (with wife and 2 kids) for almost 18 years. I have been in Australia for almost 40 years and love living here. I'm glad you got to see the Cowboys and the Storm are a great rugby league team. There is now a brand new stadium in Townsville but sadly has only hosted one game with crowds, as the corona virus shutdown was only a few days after that game.
Drop in the next time you are passing!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 9 Jun 07:57

My aunt and cousins used to live in Townsville. Cousins have moved and aunt is now enjoying retirement in Magnetic Island.

Always keep an eye out for the Cowboys results. The NRL is a fantastic competition in general. The closed doors games are even great entertainment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jun 20:41

DA-go ParAdonis
Your aunt is very lucky to be living on Magnetic Island. It is paradise and we love going there, only 15 minutes ferry away. You would love the new stadium which is fantastic. It will be full when crowds are allowed back in...hopefully not too long!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net