DAFC.net
Home $D " ; ?>
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Playing for a Draw
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 21:02

Football coaches always discouraged smoking but in the past it could never have been banned. The anal retentive Alf Ramsey probably wanted to, but had he gone down that road he would have lost a chunk of his 1966 squad. Brazilians Garrincha and Gerson orchestrated world cup victories over an ashtray, although 40 a day man Socrates missed out in 1982. Three of the great thinking footballers who seemed to command the entire pitch- di Stefano, Cruyff and Zidane- all liked a good drag.

Here are some caught in the act. Health Warning for younger readers: Billy Bremner died young.

1. The deep chested di Stefano was renowned for the great stamina which he showed over a 21 year career in Argentina, Colombia and Spain. That bagged him 516 goals at a strike rate of 73%.

2. Smoking goalkeepers are ten a penny including Banks and Yashin. But Jocky Robertson, pictured here, once turned up a bit drunk when he took the field for Third Lanark in a New Year’s Day derby against Clyde. In the first half he was outstanding as Thirds went in a goal to the good, but the half time cuppa started to sober him up; final score Thirds 1 Clyde 5. You’d need a fag after that.

3. The Charlton brothers filling an ashtray at an airport. Most of us remember Jack for his outstanding heading and Bobby for his terrific two footed shooting on the run but both of them were gifted with natural speed.

4. Greaves in reflective mood. Nobody in Europe was quicker over 10 yards than the Spurs poacher, and very few strikers could dribble as well as him either.

5. Tommy Hutchison remembers Billy Bremner calling the Scotland physio up to the back of the team bus as it neared Hampden Park for a World Cup qualifier. A last minute twinge? A massage on a tight muscle? No, he wanted a light for his cigarette.

So how bad is smoking for a footballer? It probably makes no difference at all to his performance so long as he trains hard enough. Any health problems will surface long after his playing career is over. Bad news for the food and nutrition faddists but it is perfectly possible to be fully fit for football while smoking- and drinking as much as Paul McGrath. Here’s a player who was known for his rigorous training regime and was still playing top division football aged 50!

I’m not convinced Stan ever actually smoked a cigarette but he was never slow to add his name to endorsements.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Playing for a Draw
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 22:29

Cruyff and Bremner were such heavy smokers! Half time fags, I think natural strength has to have something to do with it, wasn't Teddy Sheringham fond of a gasper as well?

Can't think of any in the modern game, maybe the clubs would go ballistic. Probably in today's game it does make a difference, certainly drink affects performance.

Must say I have a soft spot for alcoholic, drug addled, smoking footballers!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 22:41

Some well-known names from the modern era here (I know, I know, it's the Daily Star ...)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/gallery/19-top-footballers-who-smoke-21574471

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 8 Jun 23:59

Quote:

sammer, Mon 8 Jun 21:02

So how bad is smoking for a footballer? It probably makes no difference at all to his performance so long as he trains hard enough. .

Lol.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 9 Jun 01:00

Hi Grant,
Maybe you are one of these health and nutrition zealots I referred to in the original post.

Of course we can never know if di Stefano would have been even better without smoking but his record is as about as good as anyone who ever played the game and for 21 years too. Paul McGrath also had a long career although he has admitted to playing under the influence, although it did not seem to affect his performances. He once won a man of the match award when playing through a hangover.

The diet and nutrition orthodoxy is hyped by mostly American companies who try to convince sportsman they can improve performance or even worse, persuade people they can live longer. Most of what we are is in the genes and health and nutrition will have very little effect if any.

I'm always told to look at the improved athletic times from yesteryear to prove the benefits of healthy training but I don't see much improvement at all. There have been great advances in equipment and tracks on which the athletes now bounce when running, unlike the cinder tracks I recall as a boy. But the first sprint champions I remember from 1960- Armin Hary of West Germany and Wilma Rudolph of the USA- would still have made the last 100 metres Olympic final on the times they ran 60 years ago! And that's without steroids. Wilma Rudolph had polio as a girl and could not walk for a year whilst I have read that Hary was a reluctant trainer. Not much of an improvement to my eyes. I think we are being sold a pup.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 9 Jun 01:11

It's strange that coronavirus death rates for smokers is remarkably low, stranger how little the health authorities are mentioning this...it's all a conspiracy I tells you!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 9 Jun 10:24

I once saw Henrik Larsson enjoying a fag which surprised me

Robert Prosinecki was the one that sprung to mind for me

Prosinečki was known for having a unique sports lifestyle, in May 1991 he came to declare that:
I know that smoking is not good for an athlete, but it relaxes me. It's the only vice I have. Also, nobody lives a hundred years.

— Robert Prosinečki, Interview in May 1991

During his time at Real Madrid, he had discussions with the board over his refusal to quit smoking and was criticized for his lifestyle with nighttime outings, something he denies.

He'd smoke before the game, at half-time in the showers and after the game as well. Red Marlboros, too. The real heavy stuff." Peter Crouch on Prosinecki

Socrates was a bit before my time but always heard stories about him which was all the more surprising as he had a medical degree

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/21/seven-deadly-sins-socrates-brazil

Even Messi and Neymar enjoy a fag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fihjKj3VhCw

Adebayor tried to to turn up for signing talks with Lyon with a fag in his mouth

<https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/lyon-boss-claims-emmanuel-ad

I certailnly know of a couple of recent Pars players that are were smokers but I won't name them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 9 Jun 11:20

I mind Willie Callaghan coming on before a Euro tie at EEP with a fag cupped in his hand then taking a few fly draws before flicking the dowt on to the trackside at the centre line - classic Bogart technique.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 9 Jun 11:49

Quote:

sammer, Tue 9 Jun 01:00

Hi Grant,
Maybe you are one of these health and nutrition zealots I referred to in the original post.

Of course we can never know if di Stefano would have been even better without smoking but his record is as about as good as anyone who ever played the game and for 21 years too.

Di Stefano played in an age where athleticism wasn't nearly as important.

It's pretty telling that the best sportsman of the modern age have to make sacrifices to stay at the top, Ronaldo, one of the top two attackers to ever play the game treats his body like a temple, if he was playing in the age of Stefano he probably could smoke like a chimney, while Messi does occasionally smoke its very rare he'd do it through a season.
In tennis the likes of Djokovic and Murray are tee total. Have a look at the recent interview from Sneijder where he says the importance of lifestyle has on the game, I reckon he'll have a better grasp on the subject than me or you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 9 Jun 12:16

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43598615#:~:text=Tobacco%20pouches%20called%20snus%20are,not%20banned%20for%20enhancing%20performance.>

I remember this came to light after Vardy was chewing them during the Euros a couple of years ago.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net