DAFC.net
Home 15 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 27 Game Season
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 13:53

Scottish Championship clubs have voted to play a 27-game season, nine fewer than normal.

The SPFL has received 'yes' votes from eight of the 10 second-tier clubs after they were asked if they could play a shortened season behind closed doors.

A provisional date of 17 October has been set for the Championship to resume.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 27 Game Season
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 14:03

Be great, a massively reduced budget and staff I assume, but we have to deal with what we have.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: chewie  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 14:13

They really don't need to decide on this so soon. As soon as the social distancing rules are reduced to 1m, it becomes viable to have fans at games with a capacity of 20 to 30%. And as soon as pubs and restaurants can open, there can also be hospitality. Not back to normal but something that can bring in a small amount of much needed cash.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 14:46

I am sure Neil Doncaster said a week or so that unless it was during reconstruction agreement, that all teams must commit to a normal season full season eg 36 games.
Could only be altered during agreement at reconstruction.
That gives hearts more ammunition for their court case if 14-10-10-10 doesn’t go ahead. Massively affects budgets.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 14:49

Quote:

dafc, Sun 14 Jun 14:46

I am sure Neil Doncaster said a week or so that unless it was during reconstruction agreement, that all teams must commit to a normal season full season eg 36 games.
Could only be altered during agreement at reconstruction.
That gives hearts more ammunition for their court case if 14-10-10-10 doesn’t go ahead. Massively affects budgets.

^^^^^ Hearts voted "for" the reduced 27 game amendment - That would not carry any extra weight in a court of law

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 15:27

or not..."it's likely that the Edinburgh side will have been one of the clubs to vote against the resolution as they hold out for league reconstruction"

if that was the case and there was definitely 1 other team voting no, will they refuse to take part? Partick get "saved" as a result? or they just get on with it?

the clubs needed this decision and a date to work off, can start getting season tickets sold, budgets planned etc.
if the social distancing rules are totally different by the time the season starts then great, things can be changed if/when that happens but this decision had to happen now imo.

Post Edited (Sun 14 Jun 15:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 15:36

Quote:

GJS93, Sun 14 Jun 15:27

or not..."it's likely that the Edinburgh side will have been one of the clubs to vote against the resolution as they hold out for league reconstruction"

if that was the case and there was definitely 1 other team voting no, will they refuse to take part? Partick get "saved" as a result? or they just get on with it?

the clubs needed this decision and a date to work off, can start getting season tickets sold, budgets planned etc.
if the social distancing rules are totally different by the time the season starts then great, things can be changed if/when that happens but this decision had to happen now imo.

Totally agree.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 16:25

If implemented, this obviously means that some clubs will have one less home game (compare to others) for income purposes - has any proposal been put forward to resolve this imbalance ?

All clubs will lose at least 4 home games worth of gate monies - that's a significant financial hit.

Post Edited (Sun 14 Jun 16:26)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 16:37

Agreed, but this looks the only sensible scenario.

Of course it can change, but at least can allow clubs to start, with a massively reduced budget (no other way) in the event of being Corona free, we can at least add games on if possible, but we can't declare a 36 game season and then find it impossible to deliver.

There will be a huge amount of people skint, unemployed, once the economy gingerly opens up (if you work in the public sector maybe not) so we have to open up what we can.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 18:42

Finances will be reduced but it will be the same for every team. I’d still expect us to be in a stronger position than most teams in the league. Hearts and Dundee will be the only two I’d imagine in a better position.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 18:58

For me, we have a really good base of players.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 19:17

The sale of Nisbet will dictate how strong the squad is.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 19:33

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 14 Jun 16:25

If implemented, this obviously means that some clubs will have one less home game (compare to others) for income purposes - has any proposal been put forward to resolve this imbalance ?

All clubs will lose at least 4 home games worth of gate monies - that's a significant financial hit.

Do you have any better ideas?
Seems the best format to me
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 21:54

They are expecting the initial games to be behind closed doors, perhaps the first 9? So in that sense there is no sporting imbalance, unless you believe that there is still some advantage at being at home with no fans - an argument some EPL clubs where whining about but which I think is nonsense, and the results in the Bundesliga would certainly suggest there is no advantage.

27 games is not ideal, but it appears to be the best solution and clubs needs to have something to plan around. The most important things right now is that clubs are protected so that can be playing not just in 2021 but 20, 50 years from now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 22:40

Why couldn't you schedule the other 9 fixtures as a combination of mid -week games and small extension to next season say running into June next year?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Jun 23:23

"Do you have any better ideas?
Seems the best format to me "

Not a criticism, just an observation, stating the obvious really.

Is there a proposal to complicate things by continuing with peripheral cups which disrupt the core league competition ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 08:37

I think Queen of the South may be the other club that voted against the proposal. They have already said that it would be financial suicide for the league to go ahead with games played behind closed doors.

I am surprised that they are playing the Betfred Cup - are we to assume that it will be restricted to Scottish clubs this time round?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 08:48

Betfred is the league cup

Challenge cup is the Caramel Wafer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 08:50

Ahhhh. Thanks Perkins. I got my sponsors confused.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 08:57

I'm sure supporters will be back at games by September with virtually no restrictions. I have no idea if that will impact the choice of 27 games rather than 36. Maybe the crowds will be a bit bigger for a 27 game season and we can have a winter break in January/February.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 09:29

I thought the 27 game curtailed season had already been agreed by Championship clubs to start in October ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 09:51

Quote:

veteraneastender, Mon 15 Jun 09:29

I thought the 27 game curtailed season had already been agreed by Championship clubs to start in October ?

I believe it was an indicative vote yesterday but not set in stone until we know results of reconstruction vote.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 10:25

Thanks for clarification.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 10:44

Was the deadline for the reconstruction vote 10 o'clock this morning? If so, then we should expect to hear the result soon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 11:46

If voting closed at 10 am I was expecting the result to be announced around 9 o'clock...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: M-PAR  
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 11:47

Would I be right in saying we would either have 13 or 14 home games?

COYP!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 11:51

''Would I be right in saying we would either have 13 or 14 home games?''

In theory we would but wasn't there a plan to play some of the closed-door games at neutral venues or was that shelved?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Mon 15 Jun 11:54

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 15 Jun 11:46

If voting closed at 10 am I was expecting the result to be announced around 9 o'clock...

I’m not even sure we’ll hear what the actual votes were. If it is close then that will be enough to call an EGM next week where a formal vote will happen. Todays indicative vote is just to see if there’s enough interest to take it to the next stage (EGM). Some clubs may not even reply.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 17 Jun 08:28

If Leagues 1 and 2 are mothballed next season, that could have potentially devastating consequences for full-time clubs such as Partick and Falkirk*. Would it not make more sense to invite these clubs to play in the Championship and just play once, home and away? This would resolve the unequal home and way games problem and also create competition at the foot of the table since relegation would be needed to revert to a 10 club Championship in 21/22.

*Airdrie?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 17 Jun 08:32

What happens when the R rate, no. of infections and deaths continue to fall; shops, schools, leisure centres and cinemas reopen and we are still 3 months away from playing football. August is still a long time away, and this decision (and the continued talk of schools only having pupils in one day a week) seems like worst-case scenario planning rather than an actual workable solution. How does a team prepare for this when we won't have other teams to play friendlies against given the other leagues will have already started or aren't getting played? I don't see why they don't schedule a regular league with the first round behind closed doors of required. If the virus hasn't reduced by the time kick off starts or there is still a requirement for testing then look at it then. This seems awful premature.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Jun 09:10

^^^^^ Pretty much agree with everything you say, KP, but the news coming out of China just now is casting a long shadow over my thinking.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Jun 09:29

the clubs cannot afford to play before October so this is a workable solution.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Wed 17 Jun 21:35

Just had a thought, what if we had our first round of Home games and that included say Hearts AND Raith Rovers. These would be behind closed doors with a substantial loss of income. We then play them Away after January in front of crowds.
What then if we were VERY unfortunate if the third games against Hearts and Raith were also Away? We would be on the receiving end of a significant loss of income.
Has anyone seen any proposals for income distribution /gate sharing for the "Third" fixture?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Sat 20 Jun 11:59

https://www.bangkokpost.com/sports/1938204/french-stadiums-to-reopen-to-fans

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 20 Jun 12:42

I would think the third set of fixtures would mirror the first, only fair way to do it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 20 Jun 15:09

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 17 Jun 08:28

If Leagues 1 and 2 are mothballed next season, that could have potentially devastating consequences for full-time clubs such as Partick and Falkirk*. Would it not make more sense to invite these clubs to play in the Championship and just play once, home and away? This would resolve the unequal home and way games problem and also create competition at the foot of the table since relegation would be needed to revert to a 10 club Championship in 21/22.

*Airdrie?

Can you imagine if we proposed this and it was actioned, saving Falkirk from extinction!?

They would have to love us forevermore!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 20 Jun 18:29

Are Airdrie not hybrid, some part and some full time.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 20 Jun 18:47

Topic Originator: eastendalloapar like | nolike
Date: Sat 20 Jun 18:29

matt forsyth

Correct a mixture of Clydebank and Airdrie United
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 20 Jun 19:54

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Sat 20 Jun 18:29

50% Orc 50% Goblin

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 06:08

At the moment we still do not know if League 1 and League 2 clubs will emulate the Championship and have a 27 game season, commencing in October.

Behind the scenes some are still discussing mothballing,which makes the suggestion from GG Riva( about inviting Partick Thistle and Falkirk into our Division)more pressing.

On BBC "Sportsound" ,on Saturday 27th, the SPFL Secretary, Iain Blair, said it is now up to League 1 and League 2 clubs if they want to be involved in the Betfred League Cup.

Against that backdrop, the SFA are talking of all Scottish FA Cup ties fought to a finish with no Cup replays.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 09:16

Big difference in income if we’re away at hearts twice as opposed to home to hearts twice? Same with the rovers. How’s this decided?

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: M-PAR  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 09:26

Quote:

Berkey, Sun 28 Jun 09:16

Big difference in income if we’re away at hearts twice as opposed to home to hearts twice? Same with the rovers. How’s this decided?

Maybe wouldn’t cover it but perhaps clubs that are away twice to clubs with bigger fan bases get the extra home game?

COYP!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 09:34

Perhaps the 3rd round of game could be played under the financial rules of cup games. That way the away team would get a share of the gate.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 09:54

Topic Originator: Berkey like | nolike
Date: Sun 28 Jun 09:16

Probably pot luck, Berkey. That's how it worked when we had a 14 team Div 1 and 2, giving us 39 games. It would be a major surprise if those running our game showed any good sense in trying to balance things out in the interests of fairness.

Topic Originator: eastendalloapar like | nolike
Date: Sun 28 Jun 09:34

Perhaps the 3rd round of game could be played under the financial rules of cup games. That way the away team would get a share of the gate.

See above, EEAP.

I do think when the Championship clubs agreed to this, it was looking like the first 9 games would be played behind closed doors. Now there's a chance fans might be allowed in because Scotland is managing to suppress the virus better than expected.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 10:21

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Sat 20 Jun 18:29

Humans?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 11:06

Season should start earlier and play 36 games.

The control of the virus has been hugely improved the last few weeks.

MSM reporting various sources that crowds can resume late July/early August.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 11:55

are they going to allow crowds in full? are they going to stop the requirement for testing and the costs involved? unless both of those are yes then the clubs cannot afford to start before October.

league 1 and 2 clubs have agreed to do the same as the championship, just needs to be voted on officially.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 12:09

Quote:

GJS93, Sun 28 Jun 11:55

are they going to allow crowds in full? are they going to stop the requirement for testing and the costs involved? unless both of those are yes then the clubs cannot afford to start before October.

league 1 and 2 clubs have agreed to do the same as the championship, just needs to be voted on officially.

Celtic are quoted at 30k so at least 50% which covers us.

The income from October to December where it was envisaged no crowds at all would more than cover the additional month of testing. Start early September.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 14:35

The virus is pretty much under control in Scotland. I don’t see why the season can’t be 36 with games behind closed doors until it’s safe for fans to go to games.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 15:02

The problem is the cost of staging closed-door games, including testing, with no income coming through the gates, isn't it?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 16:05

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 28 Jun 15:02

The problem is the cost of staging closed-door games, including testing, with no income coming through the gates, isn't it?

Games would be played from August with fans, half capacity is 6k. More then our normal crowd
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 17:21

I was responding to Row ZZ's post referring to some games being behind closed doors.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 17:54

How do the Sage advisor predictions of a particularly nasty second wave in October / November factor into the rosey suggestions that we are good to go for 36 games?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 18:09

Quote:

P, Sun 28 Jun 17:54

How do the Sage advisor predictions of a particularly nasty second wave in October / November factor into the rosey suggestions that we are good to go for 36 games?

Same as any other business, school, hospital. Nobody in the country wouldn’t be affected by a second wave of the virus.

If you took the view that it’s definitely coming back and can’t be controlled we’d be as well not starting anything again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 19:19

They are all open ended enterprises not time & fixture volume boxed competitions

Post Edited (Sun 28 Jun 19:20)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net