DAFC.net
Home 15 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 "Football without fans is nothing..."
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 10:09

I got my first fix of MOTD since the lockdown last night and the surreal, computer generated "atmosphere" got me thinking that Jock Stein's famous quote wasn't a million miles off the mark. Even Linekar and Co were struggling with it, although the commentators were quite good in the circumstances.

I don't think it matters too much if you're playing the game at a modest level, as the players generate their own atmosphere, but watching a game with no fans, especially on TV, is no substitute for the real thing. Even watching a game live, is much more enjoyable when you're in the middle of a noisy crowd, in a full or almost full stadium.

Here's hoping they can open the turnstiles again as soon as it's safe. Reducing physical distancing to 1m and opening all 4 stands would allow about 3,000 into EEP, I think, although a lot of organisation would be needed before and after the game, as well as the use of toilets.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: "Football without fans is nothing..."
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 10:50

watched the game on BBC last night and all things considered it was pretty good. I thought the ref was a bit lenient with a number of very heavy tackles which looked to merit cards.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 10:52

You’re right GG. It would be easy enough to have social distancing for queues at turnstiles, but how do you address access to toilets, the food kiosks, those fans who will refuse to distance themselves from their mates. Extra stewarding and the return of a police presence means hefty additional expenditure.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 11:15

Depends on the sport. I watch a lot of NRL and the intensity is exactly the same as it was pre-lockdown.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 11:17

The logistics are a major issue, and will be for every club.

For example - would the club be allowed to operate the double entrance turnstiles and stay within the social distancing rules as they are now ?

If fans refuse to distance themselves inside EEP and form into groups would that be grounds (no pun intended) for the authorities to further reduce the attendance limit, close parts of the ground, or even consider closing the whole stadium if it persists ?

Post Edited (Sun 21 Jun 12:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 11:44

I'm just glad we have football back to watch, maybe not quite the same without the crowd, but still enjoyable.

After what the country has been through no need to push it just to allow fans into football games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GEW35  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 12:03

It’s great to have football back - I’ve watched with the ‘canned’ crowd noise and also silence and both seem odd to me.
It’s 17 weeks until we kick off, perhaps there may be a relaxation to some of the rules regarding social distancing by then which would go some way to enhance the fan experience at EEP?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 12:39

Perhaps by the time we start playing games the social distance will be 1m perhaps even smaller. Face coverings will be compulsory as will a temperature check. As is now you will only get in with a ticket, however perhaps we will have a no cash ticket office and the people in the office will behind a plastic screen. Obviously we will be spaced out more inside, and perhaps no away fans, at the start.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 15:45

"Obviously we will be spaced out more inside, and perhaps no away fans, at the start."

A few of us are spaced out already - allegedly !!!

No away fans - that rules us out ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 17:10

I'm just glad football is back. It's a fair sized chunk of my life and you don't realise that until it's gone altogether. Just a wee distraction for us all during this most testing of years.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Sun 21 Jun 17:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 17:50

It's definitely better with the crowd noise. It broke down during the Newcastle/Sheff Utd game and was just like a training game without it. Whoever controls it did a decent job synchronising it with the action.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 07:53

I just got round to watching the midweek MOTD and noticed that the quote I used in the thread title behind the goal at Old Trafford, was attributed to Matt Busby.

First I've heard of it. What next?

"You're immortal now, Matt." Bill Shankly.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 10:55

It's the sort of opinion I could imagine more than one person having and Busby was a good bit older than Stein.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 11:14

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 26 Jun 10:55

It's the sort of opinion I could imagine more than one person having and Busby was a good bit older than Stein.

Should you not be in mourning for at least 6 months, TOWK? 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 11:45

Overall standard has been poor since the resumption. No fans is a contributory factor along with constant interruptions for substitutions and drinks breaks.Just shows how much urgency a supportive crowd can help generate.

Also why isn't the clock stopped for drinks breaks? The requisite time hasn't always been added on.

Better than no football at all but miles from the real stuff.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 12:11

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 26 Jun 07:53

I just got round to watching the midweek MOTD and noticed that the quote I used in the thread title behind the goal at Old Trafford, was attributed to Matt Busby.

I'm fairly certain it was directed at Jock Stein after their European Cup win in '67

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 12:31

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Fri 26 Jun 12:11

Quote:

I'm fairly certain it was directed at Jock Stein after their European Cup win in '67

It was, AAPS. I was being sarcastic and wondering if this might be another famous quote concerning Jock Stein, which might be transferred to Sir Matt.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 17:32

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 26 Jun 12:31

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Fri 26 Jun 12:11

Quote:

It was, AAPS. I was being sarcastic and wondering if this might be another famous quote concerning Jock Stein, which might be transferred to Sir Matt.

There was a great thread on Twitter about this, with numerous famous quotes being attributed to Busby..... I found it amusing anyway 😂😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 22:52

I am old enough to remember, both quotes. Jock Stein, said ,Football is nothing without fans.Shankly said ,john,you are now a legend.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 23:52

"I'm fairly certain it was directed at Jock Stein after their European Cup win in '67"

It was.

Shankly was the only British manager to travel to Lisbon, which says it all.

Incidentally, his brother Bob was a close friend of Big Jock.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 00:27

Indeed. They were both involved in a serious car crash on 1975 which I think left Stein having to let Sean Fallon take over at Celtic for some months.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 12:14

I'm sure there is footage of Big Jock where he says football without fans is nothing - that's where I first heard that comment.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net