DAFC.net
Home 15 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Futures bright for Scottish squad
Topic Originator: Bigbuster  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 19:34

Is it just me or is the Scotland squad going to look better over the next few years? Midfielders at least with McGinn, mctominay , Gilmore ( not proven yet). Then the likes of Robertson but I see the problem being goalkeeper, striker and centre halfs does anyone know any playing at a decent level

D.brown
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Futures bright for Scottish squad
Topic Originator: jock-par  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 19:49

There’s this boy called Nisbet that seems promising. Will be interesting to see what level him and Shankland can get to

We are Dunfermline, we're on our way back!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 19:57

We've certainly got a potentially strong midfield, with guys like Fraser, McGregor, Forrest, McLean on top of the ones already mentioned.

Defence is shocking though. Apart from 2 left backs, we've not much. McKenna and Souttar likely to be our centre halves who aren't exactly great.

Not sure who our keeper will be long-term and Griffiths is our only striker that is relatively consistent in front of goal.

Overall, strong midfield but not much else!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigbuster  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 20:01

With england having clearly invested in grassroots I am amazed the sfa doesnt follow suit

D.brown
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 22:57

If we had two decent centre halfs and two strikers we be a good side. Only 4/11 😆
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 00:15

Tierney, Robertson, Armstrong, McGinn, mctominay, mcgregor, Christie, Fraser, Forrest, gilmour, McLean, Griffiths if he gets back playing with Celtic, mcburnie, Marshall still decent goalie.
It's the basis of a good squad.
Add turnbull, Campbell of Motherwell too who should both come through a lot more this season, more midfielders though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 11:43

At this point in time we have a brilliant midfield and 2 very good left-backs. Apart from that, there leaves a lot to be desired. Our centre-back options are absolutely horrendous and, with Griffiths now approaching 30 and not getting much game time at all, we haven't got good options up front either.

There's a lot of bright young players coming through, but unfortunately there isn't any Tierneys or Gilmours in those positions at this moment in time.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 12:54

Even reasonably competent centre backs at international level would be a huge improvement.

Christian Daily or the likes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 20:25

I’d have Gallagher at Motherwell starting ahead of McKenna tbh. If Tierney and Robertson are fully fit, then Robertson starts at LB and Tierney will be used as a LCB in all probability.

Michael Rose is doing well at Coventry and Leeds are apparently keen on him. Stuart Findlay at Kilmarnock is meant to be decent, but the only time I’ve seen him play was against San Marino. Can’t really think of any other potential centre-backs that are relatively young.

Strikers? Shankland and Nisbet probably the most exciting young Scottish strikers playing in Scotland at the moment, although Shankland isn’t really that young as he’s pushing 25.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 00:04

Always surprised that Liam Cooper at Leeds hasn't had more of a look in internationally. Pretty sure he's still their captain, and clearly well thought of by one of the most respected managers in the present day. Undisputedly playing at a higher level than McKenna, Findlay, Souter and Gallagher, but only capped a few times. I don't watch a massive amount of football in the English Championship, so maybe I'm missing something?

Ultimately I reckon Tierney could play as a left sided centre half which is probably the best option to solve the conundrum of who to play at left back when both he and Robertson are fit. He didn't look too out of place at right back either to be fair. Think the next 12 months or so are very important for Tierney. Obviously had injuries, but needs to kick on at Arsenal to show why he was signed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 09:53

Quote:

Jjonjord, Wed 24 Jun 00:04

Always surprised that Liam Cooper at Leeds hasn't had more of a look in internationally. Pretty sure he's still their captain, and clearly well thought of by one of the most respected managers in the present day. Undisputedly playing at a higher level than McKenna, Findlay, Souter and Gallagher, but only capped a few times. I don't watch a massive amount of football in the English Championship, so maybe I'm missing something?

Ultimately I reckon Tierney could play as a left sided centre half which is probably the best option to solve the conundrum of who to play at left back when both he and Robertson are fit. He didn't look too out of place at right back either to be fair. Think the next 12 months or so are very important for Tierney. Obviously had injuries, but needs to kick on at Arsenal to show why he was signed.

Don't think it's even close between teirney and Robertson. One can't get into a back 4 for a arsenal side with the most calamitous defence they have ever had. The other plays most weeks of not injured or benched to rest and a champions league winner. The reason Scotland hasn't invested in the grassroots like England is that clubs here don't get 20 million for every television game they get.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 15:33

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Wed 24 Jun 09:53

Don't think it's even close between teirney and Robertson. One can't get into a back 4 for a arsenal side with the most calamitous defence they have ever had. The other plays most weeks of not injured or benched to rest and a champions league winner.

Agreed. What I meant though, is that we don't have the strength across the team to leave Tierney on the bench behind Robertson rather than moulding one of them into a player capable of playing in a position where we don't have such strength.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 17:23

Honestly, Tierney should be used as a left centre back or right back and back up for Robertson if he can't make the game. He's probably the better defensively of the 2 and would help Andy bomb forward a lot more without worrying about leaving some haddy covering his back if we get countered
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net