DAFC.net
Home 15 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Shaun Rooney
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 20:51

Officially joins St Johnstone
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Shaun Rooney
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 20:59

And?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 21:46

Quote:

par_33, Mon 22 Jun 20:59

And?

....and Scott Fox signs for Motherwell.

On Rooney it is another former player making the step up to the top league.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 23:46

Decent player!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 00:12

Rooney is one of the worst players I've seen in a Pars shirt.
Lazy with a stinking attitude.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 00:41

Quote:

EEP, Mon 22 Jun 23:46

Decent player!

You clearly know nothing about football

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 00:53

I’m surprised at that

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 01:13

Was below par with us if not rank rotten on most occasions.

However was still a young lad, seems to have shaped himself into a hard working player. Fair play.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 06:53

I agree Rooney was disappointing with us but he had a great season with Inverness last year - I was up there twice and he was a standout on both occasions - and a real fans favourite too. Good luck to him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 08:38

I always thought he would make a decent centre back, guy who used to sit beside me in centre stand absolutely hated him , was shouting for him to be subbed after five minutes, lol

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 08:41

A stint at ICT seems to be a good career move for some players. McCart, Donaldson, White and Rooney have all moved on to Premiership clubs this year. The club may have a hard job replacing them but they have extended John Robertson's contract to create some stability.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 09:21

All speak highly about what robertson has done for their careers

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 11:54

Robbo is certainly one of the good guys in Scottish fitba!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 13:07

"Player of the year " as voted by the fans at Caley. He was very raw still when he was at East End, often bombing forward with intent but leaving things exposed at the back.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 13:58

He wasnt as bad as being made out and won Lizzie Pars Young Player of the Year in his only season with us. We were far better for Craig Reid's arrival though.

The Prophet - 12/07/18, 13/06/19, 10/07/20
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 14:11

Did Shaun not score away to Stenhousemuir.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: simo  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 15:39

At home. Late winner iirc

Hamish French.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 16:00

Definitely wasn't as bad as made out to be. Certainly was very raw, the loyalty to Williamson proved to be misplaced, both Millen and Rooney have far better attributes as well rounded full backs. Comrie has been a great acquisition for this level and exactly what you want for the position, solid and rarely caught out defensively
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 16:47

Millen a well rounded full back 😅😅😅. Here we go again.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 17:29

I hate when players are compared to where they are now to when they were with us. Rooney when at eep was nowhere near Premier league quality but with the right guys around him seamingly made him a better player.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 18:06

Players improve with better coaching. Nobody improved under AJ
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 18:23

Quote:

Perkins, Tue 23 Jun 18:06

Players improve with better coaching. Nobody improved under AJ

Not true, come on min.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 21:55

Football is no different to any other trade .
You have to work with people who know their trade.

I worked in the Dockyard and was taught my trade by the best
(Les Shears and Phil Davies )without there expertise and tuitoring i would not be where i am now .

Football is no different ,learn by leadership ,accept being told when doing wrong .

Thank you to L.S. and P.D. you made me who I am in my field of expertise throughout the world on major projects .
Always listen to your mentors
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 22:34

Anyone can see the club never developed the boy.. but he’s doing good now?
Imo we don’t have a training hub... we utilise a cricket ground🤷🏻‍♂️
Maybe and it will never happen as Masterton owns it but Pitreavie should be our players hub as it has good facilities?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 23 Jun 23:51

I've seen Rooney and Jordan White play a few times since they left the Pars. I am completely stunned that they've both signed for top-six clubs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.

Post Edited (Tue 23 Jun 23:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 00:09

Quote:

EEP, Tue 23 Jun 22:34

Maybe and it will never happen as Masterton owns it but Pitreavie should be our players hub as it has good facilities?

The Fife Leisure gym and indoor track etc are decent enough, but, other than that, the facilities at Pitreavie are generally poor. Plenty potential mind you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 08:53

Quote:

dd23, Tue 23 Jun 16:47

Millen a well rounded full back 😅😅😅. Here we go again.

He's a better fullback than Williamson as I state, not sure how that can be disputed, Williamson has just been relegated to league 1 and Millen is playing in the premiership...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 10:23

"He's a better fullback than Williamson as I state, not sure how that can be disputed, Williamson has just been relegated to league 1 and Millen is playing in the premiership..."

Millen was a better player than he was ever given credit for imo.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 13:36

St Johnstone is not a top 6 club.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 13:40

par_33 wrote:

> St Johnstone is not a top 6 club.

Where was it they officially finished ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 18:20

Never rated Millen at all - saying he’s playing in the premiership is a bit of a stretch - he’s managed 8 appearances in nearly 2 seasons.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 00:20

He was decent enough playing at the level we were at the time . I’m sure we brought in a chap with SPL experience to play RB later on in the season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 01:24

Quote:

Pars Kebab, Thu 25 Jun 00:20

He was decent enough playing at the level we were at the time . I’m sure we brought in a chap with SPL experience to play RB later on in the season.

Craig Reid

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 07:34

Signed for Kelty Hearts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 11:18

Quote:

AJ27, Wed 24 Jun 18:20

Never rated Millen at all - saying he’s playing in the premiership is a bit of a stretch - he’s managed 8 appearances in nearly 2 seasons.

Aye, this, a thousand times this. He's extremely cheap squad filler for Kilmarnock who bring him in as a warm body.

Two seasons ago Ryan Williamson had just gotten into the championship tots having played nearly every minute for us while we finished fourth.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 15:18

Neither Millen nor Williamson were any sort of world beater, but Ross Millen was always criticised far more than was fair, and most it seemed to be because he didn't do the same things as Ryan Williamson.

At that time, when going forward Williamson was obviously talented when running at opponents and could be exciting to watch, but Millen's contribution in attack was significant while being completely different. He was very good at crossing from deep positions, from which we scored several goals.

People constantly attacked him because he never attempted to take a man on, usually while completely ignoring the different shape of the team when he had the ball. When Williamson had it, a midfielder would come across to cover in case he lost the ball. When Millen had it, everyone moved into completely different positions in anticipation of the deep cross, and he had no cover at all. Even if he wanted to take a man on, it was impossible for him to try it and I found it hugely frustrating that so many fans wouldn't or couldn't see that.

Defensively, Millen was OK and no more than that. Williamson was generally very poor defensively, though did have one spell towards the end of his time with us where it looked like he might be about to improve.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 15:25

Quote:

Grant, Thu 25 Jun 11:18

Quote:

AJ27, Wed 24 Jun 18:20

Aye, this, a thousand times this. He's extremely cheap squad filler for Kilmarnock who bring him in as a warm body.

Two seasons ago Ryan Williamson had just gotten into the championship tots having played nearly every minute for us while we finished fourth.

And his dad is/was assistant manager at Kilmarnock at the time which would have a fair bit of bearing on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 15:32

To be fair Millen is hardly a Premier league regular used as a last resort and the fact he will be on about 600 quid at most is a big plus. Williamson was horrific at the back was a bang average wing back at a stretch. Our full back haven't been brilliant Our left backs were always usually better never replaced woods imo.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 17:36

I quite liked Millen. Decent enough player in my opinion, who never hid, and showed a fair amount of bottle. As usual Socks gives a fair assessment.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 19:10

There was very little wrong with Millen. He was the one the .net geniuses chose as the scapegoat simply for not being Ryan Williamson. Obviously Ryan gets the jersey then gets slaughtered for not being great defensively.

I'll always remember Ross Millen stepping up to take the penalty that took the Forfar playoff game to extra time. He could only have been 18 at the time but that showed a lot of guts.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 19:47

For me I didn't rate millen because he never tackled, always backing off his man until he had to put in a last ditch tackle. So anyone who ran at him had a free run into the box which happened on many, many occasions. The fact he didn't take men on didn't bother me unduly, that wasn't his talent, although his crossing was okish. But a fullback who wouldn't tackle.......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 20:49

Quote:

dd23, Thu 25 Jun 19:47

For me I didn't rate millen because he never tackled, always backing off his man until he had to put in a last ditch tackle. So anyone who ran at him had a free run into the box which happened on many, many occasions. The fact he didn't take men on didn't bother me unduly, that wasn't his talent, although his crossing was okish. But a fullback who wouldn't tackle.......

A young man chucked in at the deep end when he should have been learning the trade hounded out the club by our "supporters".

Oh but our youth policy is p*sh.......

Post Edited (Thu 25 Jun 20:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 21:20

Millen wasn’t hounded out by the fans - he just wasn’t very good - some players make it, others don’t. Football is supposed to be an entertainment- with Williamson there was an excitement when he got the ball going forward - as he got more experienced I expected the defensive side of his game to improve though but unfortunately this just didn’t happen - possibly partly due to losing confidence after his injuries.

Agree with da no 1 about the penalty though - one thing Ross never lacked was self confidence.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 21:44

Millen could also take a solid free kick too if I remember rightly. Done well for himself after leaving us anyway
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LMCK67  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 07:51

Quote:

par_33, Wed 24 Jun 13:36

St Johnstone is not a top 6 club.

Since returning to the top flight in 2009-10 St Johnstone have finished in the top flight 6 times (including this year) and have been on 4 European journeys.

I would argue they are a top 6 club now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 21:23

Williamson would be a Premier League regular by now of it wasn't for the injuries IMO. He was never strong in the tackle, but that generally develops as you get older - Williamson regressed in that, and I think the fear of injury affected him in that way. We'll never know, but he had the raw ability of a very good attacking fullback.

Millen got a lot of unfair stick, and he never shied away from responsibility on the park even with that. He'd still be a League 1/League 2 player if his old man hadn't put a word in for him at Killie though. But fair play to him, still full time and getting the odd game at that level isn't bad!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 21:52

Williamson looked an exciting talent when he came through. A couple of serious injuries and he never fulfilled his potential. This unfortunately happens . He’s good enough to earn a living from the game .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 00:43

Unfortunately, Williamson wasn't great at defending and was poor in the air. Good at running forward with the ball but not good at crossing it. Too many flaws in his game for him to make it at a decent level.

Post Edited (Fri 03 Jul 00:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 10:12

I think championship was his level. He was an average at best defender always better going forward. Definitely not good enough to play in premier as his defending will get exploited by better players.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net