DAFC.net
Home 15 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Half decent Pars matches
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 22:05

It's often said football's a game of two halves: which Pars' matches can you remember where we played really well ... but only for 45 minutes of the match.

We've probably all been to those games. The team comes flying out the traps and never lets up until the half-time whistle; or, for some strange reason, they never really get started in the first 45 but come out transformed in the second half>

Here are two of mine: one from the past and one more recent.

1) A brilliant second half: 1968 Scottish Cup final at Hampden

2) A rousing first half: play-offf at Tannadice in 2018
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Half decent Pars matches
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 25 Jun 22:56

In 1966 we hardly put a single attack together when playing Hibs at EEP and were 0-4 down around the 70th minute. We then managed to score 5 goals in about 15 minutes to draw level, before Hibs scored a late winner on the break. We lost 5-6.

In 2001 St. Johnstone went in 2-0 at HT and looked a good bet to progress to the next round of the Scottish Cup. But as the Pars came out for the second half committed to attack the crowd really got behind the team and helped earn a 3-2 victory.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 00:01

There was a game against United at EEP late 90s when we went in 3 nil down. Second half we scored 3 and almost won it.

The game was a farce tho. Hurricane strength winds ruined it.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wjmcm  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 02:31

I was behind the goal at the west end and with a minute to go, at 5 all, we scored. The ball certainly crossed the line but play was waved on and Hibs went to the other end and scored. It would have been a remarkable victory but for the injustice.
My favourite comeback was when, as a Division B side, we played a Partick team with at least two internationalists in the Cup. 2-0 down at half time and outplayed we won 4-2 with George Duthie scoring 2 penalties and Colin McKinlay marvellous on the right wing outshining McKenzie, Partick's international winger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 08:06

Quote:

sammer, Thu 25 Jun 22:56

In 1966 we hardly put a single attack together when playing Hibs at EEP and were 0-4 down around the 70th minute. We then managed to score 5 goals in about 15 minutes to draw level, before Hibs scored a late winner on the break. We lost 5-6.

In 2001 St. Johnstone went in 2-0 at HT and looked a good bet to progress to the next round of the Scottish Cup. But as the Pars came out for the second half committed to attack the crowd really got behind the team and helped earn a 3-2 victory.

Just a slight adjustment to Sammer's normally infallible memory. We were indeed 0-4 at half time and lucky to have 0, but we scored two early goals after the restart, to give us a glimmer of hope, before Hibs seemingly killed off any chance of an improbable fight back, with a 5th goal on 75 mins. How wrong could we be? The Pars scored 3 times to level and incredibly were pushing all out for a winner in the last few minutes.

I'm convinced we scored a 6th in that frantic finished, as were more than half of our players, but the ref wasn't convinced that the ball had crossed the goal line. As they chased the ref, the Hibs goalie thumped the ball upfield and an unmarked Colin Stein gathered, ran through unchallenged to score just before the final whistle blew. 5-6.

The injustice will live with me forever....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KilsythPar  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 08:35

It wasn't Colin Stein who scored the winner. The guy was called Scott.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 08:50

Was an amazing match.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 09:13

I remember being 3-0 to Dundee Utd in a howling gale (may have been Sergio Duarte's debut - playing as a trialist), before coming back to tie the game at 3-3 in the second. As I recall Gerry Britton smashed a brilliant chance to win it over the bar right at the death,
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 09:34

Below is a Hibs supporter’s memories of the 5-6 game at EEP. A glance at the teams partly explains what happened: the two ‘defensive’ midfield players are Bert Paton, really a striker, and Alan Cousin, previously a prolific centre forward at Dundee. All of the five attackers on each side are exactly that: nobody to drop off and link play from midfield. And the goalkeepers were obviously poor on the day.

Quiz question: Name the 9 international players listed below. And who on earth is O’Neill?

Dunfermline: Anderson, W. Callaghan and Lunn, Paton, McLean and T. Callaghan, Fleming, Hunter, Delaney, Ferguson and Robertson (Substitute: O’Neill)

Hibernian: Allan, Duncan and Davis, Stanton, McNamee and Cousin, Cormack, Stein, Scott McGraw and Stevenson (Substitute: Quinn)

Dunfermline 5 Hibernian 6 ( HT 0-2)

Hibs started the game the better side and goals from Peter Cormack and Jim Scott soon gave the visitors a comfortable half time lead, which in truth could well have been more. Goals by Eric Stevenson and Alan McGraw shortly after the restart gave the Easter Road side what was thought to be an unassailable lead, and with just over 25 minutes remaining the game was surely as good as over.

Pat Delaney pulled one back for home side but even when the centre forward scored again there still didn’t seem all that much to worry about, an attitude that quickly changed a few minutes later when inside right Ian Hunter scored a third for Dunfermline to silence the chants of the visiting crowd.

The Hibs fans nerves were briefly calmed when Alan McGraw scored a fifth to re-establish his side’s two goal advantage, a goal that would surely now put the final result beyond doubt. However, just as at Parkhead on the Wednesday evening when Dunfermline had been three behind inside six minutes and four behind at the interval before demonstrating their fighting qualities to score three times in the second half, once again the Pars were refusing to accept defeat.

By this time, they were by far the better side with Delaney and Alex Ferguson in particular causing all kinds of panic in the Hibs penalty area. Incredibly, assisted by a couple of terrible blunders by the Hibs goalkeeper Thomson Allan, further goals from the former Dundee player Hugh Robertson and a header from Alex Ferguson levelled the scores at five each and by this time the tension among both sets of supporters was palpable.

Hibs were now all over the place, the anxiety of not only the players but also their fans on the terracing evident. With just seconds remaining Dunfermline appeared to have scored again when after hesitation by goalkeeper Allan, centre half John McNamee cleared a ball that appeared to have already crossed the line from under the crossbar to safety. By now, the emotional strain of the Hibs fans was almost unbearable, many unable to watch the events taking place on the field but too afraid to leave in fear of missing anything.

With just seconds remaining and referee Stewart checking his watch, the ball was once again swept upfield into the Dunfermline half. Alan McGraw was brought down 25 yards from goal and with the referee appearing to be just about to blow the final whistle the alert Jim Scott took advantage of a quickly taken free kick to score his second goal of the afternoon after his first shot had rebounded from the goalkeeper, the final whistle bringing to an end to one of the most incredible games ever seen at East End Park.

By that time many of the Hibs supporters among the 11,000 crowd appeared to be in need of medical attention to calm their frayed nerves as they made their way back to the capital, leaving the Hibs players to face an almost certain enquiry at Easter Road on the Monday morning.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 09:56

Quote:

Bandy, Fri 26 Jun 09:13

I remember being 3-0 to Dundee Utd in a howling gale (may have been Sergio Duarte's debut - playing as a trialist), before coming back to tie the game at 3-3 in the second. As I recall Gerry Britton smashed a brilliant chance to win it over the bar right at the death,

That's the one I was on about Bandy

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 11:00

Sammer, it appears that the Hibs fan and I were at two different games. My memory of Hibs 6th goal is completely at odds with his, but I obviously got the scorer wrong. Even the scoring sequence is different. I'll need to consult my "Black & White Magic" book when I'm at home.

One curiosity I do remember is that Anderson was also in goals for the Pars the previous midweek, when we lost 6-3 in a LC quarter final at Parkhead. 12 goals conceded in 2 games is quite an unenviable record for a goalie. Does anyone know if Anderson started any other games for the Pars, before or after?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 11:05

''Quiz question: Name the 9 international players listed below. And who on earth is O’Neill?''

I'll have a stab at that:-

Pars - W Callaghan, Ferguson.
Hibs - Allan, Stanton, Cousin, Cormack, Stein, Scott, Quinn

I thought the Pars sub O'Neill was maybe George O'Neill, a wing-half who joined us from Morton, but wikipedia says that wasn't until 1971. Pars database has a James O'Neill who was with us between 1966 and 1968 but I can't say I remember him at all.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 11:11

Good shooting Eck, on a par with the actual game. I thought Thomson Allan (who had a howler apparently) was tricky since he earned his single cap while at Dundee against West Germany in 1974.

However Alan Cousin never played for Scotland at full international level although he did bang in a few goals in league internationals. Being part time would have counted against him I imagine. I didn't realise how big he was: as tall and broad as John McNamee. Makes Pat Stanton look like a laddie.

The one you missed was another ex-Dundee player. Our very own tiki-taka man Hughie Robertson.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 11:27

Cheers, sammer. I did have doubts about Alan Cousin but am embarrassed I forgot about Hugh Robertson's cap. There are some arguments about whether Fergie's caps were 'full' caps. I think Thomson Allan was in the squad that went to the WC Finals in 1974 though he didn't play.

James O'Neill remains a mystery.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 11:28

GG Riva,

The report I pasted from a Hibs fan is not entirely accurate and was probably written from memories as fallible as ours. Parsdata base has the Dunfermline scorers in the order I remember: Hunter, Delaney(2), Robertson and Ferguson. I can still picture Delaney’s two goals (one a downward header from a John Lunn cross) and Fergie’s late header from a Jim Fleming cross to the back post. I remember screaming in frustration when Pat Delaney got the ball trapped under his studs almost on the goal line and whether he scraped the ball over the line or not has never been confirmed.

I am sure the score was never 3-4. It was 2-4 then 2-5. The winning goal came right after Delaney’s controversial non goal and was hit from the left side of the goal by Jim Scott. My recollection (although I was at the far end) is that the ball struck Anderson on the head or body, hit the far post, then went in.

Realising he needed a proper defensive wing half after this game, Willie Cunningham signed one a couple of weeks later. His name was Roy Barry.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 11:55

Davy Anderson sighned from Hearts as cover for Eric Martin when Jim herriot left. He was more stunned as anyone that had been signed by the Pars as he had been recently diagnosed with an anurism. He told me many stories of his short time at the pars and spoke proudl of Barry, the Callaghans, John Lunn, Edwards, Paton, before moving to Dumbarton.
His signing on fee of £60 was used to buy a ford Anglia with which he travelled from edinburgh with another team member, who's name escapes me at the moment.
His memory of both the Hibs and celtic games were vague as at times he never even knew where he was due to his illness. His fav wee joke was that he had the most televised ass in football as he picked the ball out the net 11 times in 2 games.
Davy was a well known guitarist in the edinburgh area during his sporting venture and married into a family that owned a bar next to the Kings Theatre in edinburgh.
He went on to work as a bookbinder for BT making yellow pages but as his health deterorated in his late 40's he was hospitalised and eventually lost his right leg.
He died around 10 years ago, just after his wife and neither regretted a moment together.

Please excuse spelling.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.

Post Edited (Fri 26 Jun 11:58)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 12:37

Many thanks for filling us in on Davy Anderson. He sounded like a really decent guy who didn't have much luck in life. I did some checking. He only played two games for the Pars and was particularly unlucky in that Celtic and Hibs were probably the best sides in the country at the time.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 12:37

Some great memories there (including the Ford Anglia) ... I always regret having been born just a little too late to have witnessed all of our glory years first hand.

Talking of matches I missed (my cousin's wedding), here's another classic game of two halves: DAFC 5 St Mirren 1, October 1989. This from the DAFC website:

An unsatisfactory first half performance led to some harsh words being spoken in the dressing room and a more purposeful Athletic re-emerged to demoralise St Mirren by scoring within 40 seconds. George O’Boyle capitalised on a mistake to neatly sidestep Campbell Money and cut the ball back for KOZMA to net his first goal for the club. 3-1

For the next 12 minutes the Pars played some sublime football as Kozma, Jack and O’Boyle ran riot, reveling in the service from a dominant midfield. In 54 minutes KOZMA collected the ball inside his own half, released Jack down the right with a perfectly-weighted pass and sprinted 40 yards to take the return, timing his run superbly to sweep home and an exquisite right-footed half volley. The Dunfermline Press claimed it must have been the best goal seen at East End Park in years. 4-1

Vintage stuff but there was more to come. The Hungarian then completed a sensational hat-trick by unleashing a ferocious left footed drive that flew into the roof of the net from 30 yards. 5-1. Having taken a slight knock Kozma was withdrawn near the end to a standing ovation from every Dunfermline supporter in the crowd of 7656. This was to be his only hat trick for the Pars but what a hat trick it was!

Post Edited (Fri 26 Jun 12:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 12:48

Although there's an argument that we played fairly well for 90. Being 1 0 up in the cup final against Celtic and feeling like it was deserved and we might sneak a win was a brilliant feeling.

Our end of Hampden was bouncing and it was great seeing that many Pars fans enjoying themselves.

As they say, it's the hope that gets you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 13:21

da_no_1; Apols; missed your post!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 13:59

Sammer,

My Black & White Magic book confirms that the scoring went 0-4, 2-4, 2-5, 5-5.
The Sunday Post journalist at the game was also convinced the ball was over the line, which would have made it 6-5 to the Pars with a minute remaining.

Unfortunately for me, it also confirms that the halftime score was 0-2 and not 0-4. Allan McGraw made it 0-4 on 62 min and 2-5 after 76 mins, so the Pars scored 4 times in the last 14 mins, if we include the disallowed goal. Your recollection of Hibs winning goal is also correct. It originated from a free kick rather than being caused by our players running after the ref to complain about his eyesight. I'm not going to get too down about it - it was a helluva long time ago...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 15:09

Carlsberg don't do football matches, londonparsfan ... but if they did, the 2004 Cup final would have ended at half-time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 15:10

... and the 2006 League Cup final would never have started.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 19:01

A more recent one is the 5-4 at Ochilview. 2-0 down at half-time then 3-0 early in the second half, somehow the comeback came from nowhere. Back to 3-2, they scored for 4-2 and looked to kill the game, but then came that ridiculous spell of 3 goals in the last 6 minutes. Stenhousemuir actually had a good chance to equalise for 5-5 straight from the restart as well.

More obscurely, there was a home game against Dumbarton towards the end of the 95/96 first division title season. Dumbarton were miles out of their depth and finished with only 11 points (6 of them in the first two games), but made chances in that first half and it could have been more than 1-0. Second half was a different story as the Pars came back to win 4-1.

I was at the St Mirren game and it's very annoying that I have no memory at all of the Kozma hat-trick. I'm fairly sure I remember the Torfasson free kick that put St Mirren ahead, Ross Jack equalising with a penalty and Westie saving a penalty in the last few minutes, but that's about it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 19:17

Apart from 68 cup win and European exploits, the kozma hat trick, was something special .I always get annoyed, in the fact it was not on tape.😡
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 20:08

I remember a game at Berwick we were 4-1 down. An Ian Campbell hatrick ensured a 4-4 result.
Mid 80's.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 20:13

The Kosma hat trick was special. The cage singing his name and waiting for a wave until the players explained what we were singing about, then the cheers were louder than the celebration.

Re Davy anderson, the last goal hibs scored, Davy thought the game was over and by the time he heard the players shouting it was to late.
I watched him in some reserve games and he was a decent keeper, agile and took crosses comfortably. He did play regularly for Dumbarton but as GG said, he was dealt a bad card in a good hand.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 20:37

Davy Anderson was exceptionally unlucky, for as GG indicated Celtic and Hibs were free scoring sides at that time. Celtic beat Hibs 5-3 at Easter Road soon after our match. To play your only two games against them was being thrown in at the deep end.

The Dunfermline defence was rocky around that time since Jim McLean, the keystone, was showing signs of his age. A month after the 5-6 Hibs game we lost 4-5 at home to Celtic and that was with Eric Martin in goal.

I remember the first two Hibs goals in the 5-6 game which were scored in front of me at the Halbeath End. The first was a beautifully timed strike from Peter Cormack which started wide on the right side of the box and finished just inside the far post. Even Pars fans clapped that. The second came after Jim Scott flicked the ball over Jim McLean's head and beat him for speed; his finish was a powerful left foot shot on the run which found the top corner of the net. No goalkeeper could have saved either of these shots.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 20:54

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Fri 26 Jun 20:08

I remember a game at Berwick we were 4-1 down. An Ian Campbell hatrick ensured a 4-4 result.
Mid 80's.

I'm certain I remember going mental when that came up on Ceefax 😁⚽️

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Fri 26 Jun 22:27

One that springs to mind is 2-2 draw with the Wee Team in 2010. 2-0 up at half time, absolutely cruising, should have been 4 or even 5 up, completely dominant, and we threw a win away with 2 goals in the last few minutes. We were totally horseshit the 2nd half and Andy Kirk missed a complete sitter.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 13:17

Neil McGregor got a stupid red card

The Prophet - 12/07/18, 13/06/19, 10/07/20
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net