DAFC.net
Home 15 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Cut-backs at Dens
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 09:11

Dundee have released Jimmy Nicholl and a sports scientist from their backroom staff and are asking players to accept salary reductions.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Cut-backs at Dens
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 10:03

I would love to see Jimmy Nicholl back at us. I still feel we need an experienced coach to help Crawford out and would imagine he would be perfect.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 10:09

Would expect most to do similair, operating this season on a minimal squad, part time contracts for new signings ( for teams with few players on contract)

Not sure about pay cuts, I suppose they will have a lot of high earners, for me if a business can't cut it, redundancies have to happen, but for football it's more complicated, there is a huge shortfall and all clubs have to get through the season.

Is Gordon Strachan on the payroll, and what does he do?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 10:18

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 27 Jun 09:11

Dundee have released Jimmy Nicholl and a sports scientist from their backroom staff and are asking players to accept salary reductions.

Not surprising and not good news for Scottish football clubs. I fervently hope I'm very wrong, but I fear Dundee are just the tip of the iceberg. Like ourselves, they're what Bob Crampsey once described as a "middle order" club who might win the odd national cup competition and/or finish in the top half of the top flight once in a generation.

Like ourselves, Dundee are presently cut adrift from the Premiership and the lifeline it enjoys from TV. There's little or no money to assemble a squad good enough to win promotion either. Discovering and developing young talent is very much a long ball strategy and even then, predatory clubs will circle immediately when a promising player does emerge, looking to buy him at fire sale prices. Think Kevin Nisbet.

In some respects, we're even worse off than Dundee as we have no credit facilities, but what we do have is a very business wise BoD who are smart enough to steer the club through the choppy waters everyone is having to navigate during this pandemic.

That cash gift from James Anderson may just save a few cubs from extinction, if it comes to pass.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 11:25

Quote:

RossF, Sat 27 Jun 10:03

I would love to see Jimmy Nicholl back at us. I still feel we need an experienced coach to help Crawford out and would imagine he would be perfect.

Yes as he was seemingly a great help at Dundee. With the money they spent on players should have been right on Utd coattails.

This myth around Stevie needing an experienced coach is founded upon what? Do you know how Jimmy Nic deals with players, coaches etc against our guys?

Who’s to say that he can relate to the youth/younger players that were trying to develop.

Callum Davidson assisted for a period and our results were worse than with Jason/Greg.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 11:27

Who at present are the owners of Dundee? Have the not been in admin twice. Surely due to that how can they get finance from banks.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 11:32

Our young players have improved, Nisbet, Turner, and more have stepped up and improved quite a bit.

I see no reason to add anyone, even the highly experienced and entertaining JN.

For me the coaching staff have done what it says on the tin, we have a good base.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 11:51

I know for a fact that many players rate Nicholl very highly and loved having him on the coaching staff. I have listened to podcasts where James McPake, Ricky Foster, Crawford and many more have praised him for the way he has helped improve them and players around them. There’s your evidence.

Like Crawford, McPake is a very inexperienced manager and it will take time for them to improve. They still could have been promoted through the play offs. I can’t agree that they should have been chasing Dundee Utd. Utd were far more prepared and in a much better position to go for the league than Dundee

It’s very unfair to compare Callum Davidson’s time here to Dair’s. We had a much poorer squad last season and were in a very bad way and managed to just avoid the relegation playoffs. We also lacked the quality of players like Nisbet, Dow, Thomas, etc. I believe Shields was there at the same time as Davidson also?

Anyway it’s my opinion. I don’t expect to see Nicholl at Dunfermline but I am just making the comment that I would love to see him here. I do believe experience helps and the fact Crawford brought in Davidson last season and attempted to get Gordon Forrest also looks to me that he was looking for experience also.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 12:03

And I remember Dundee getting praise for extending furlough to out of contract players too when we were being criticised for not doing so. Genuinely no winners in this current situation 🙁

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 12:49

Paul McGowan signs new deal with a 50% drop in wage for next season.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 13:22

I'd certainly take Jimmy Nic back. He's good for team morale with his experience and humour.
He is obviously not a 'Pars' man through and through but has strong connections in Fife as a past player and manager of the wee team as well as assistant to Calderwood so he knows our club well.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 14:09

Where would we find the finance to add to the coaching staff? It's hardly worth discussing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 14:11

^^^^
This

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 14:45

Quote:

RossF, Sat 27 Jun 11:51

I know for a fact that many players rate Nicholl very highly and loved having him on the coaching staff. I have listened to podcasts where James McPake, Ricky Foster, Crawford and many more have praised him for the way he has helped improve them and players around them. There’s your evidence.

Like Crawford, McPake is a very inexperienced manager and it will take time for them to improve. They still could have been promoted through the play offs. I can’t agree that they should have been chasing Dundee Utd. Utd were far more prepared and in a much better position to go for the league than Dundee

It’s very unfair to compare Callum Davidson’s time here to Dair’s. We had a much poorer squad last season and were in a very bad way and managed to just avoid the relegation playoffs. We also lacked the quality of players like Nisbet, Dow, Thomas, etc. I believe Shields was there at the same time as Davidson also?

Anyway it’s my opinion. I don’t expect to see Nicholl at Dunfermline but I am just making the comment that I would love to see him here. I do believe experience helps and the fact Crawford brought in Davidson last season and attempted to get Gordon Forrest also looks to me that he was looking for experience also.

Many players rate a lot of managers. He is yesterday’s man and clearly done nothing of real value at Dundee it they would have found a way to keep him.

Gordon Forrest had less experience than Stevie himself and none of that of note in this country.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Jun 17:44

You’re entitled to your opinion but I think it’s harsh claiming he’s ‘yesterday’s man’. He is involved with a Northern Irish team who defied so many odds recently. If players rate him then he must be an asset. There are players at Dunfermline who some of us valued but were not kept on. Sometimes players/staff are released due to money reasons, regardless of whether they were an asset or not.

Gordon Forrest obtained all of his coaching badges at a young age and has worked in the MLS as an assistant manager. He has been coaching not far off 20 years which makes him experienced. Granted, it’s not all been at football clubs but he is a highly rated coach who Crawford wanted to bring in before Utd poached him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 16:54

Don't forget we are not running a reserve team for the upcoming season. !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 17:24

Perhaps some of our younger players might go out on loan to League 1 or 2 teams. That would free up some money for us to get a couple of Premier loan players.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 30 Jun 13:52

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53212775

Glad to see he kept one of his jobs
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net