DAFC.net
Home 28 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Paul Paton
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 17:21

In advanced talks with East Kilbride.

Confirms he will be going part time, ideally looking for a club close to his area of living n work. Doesn't want to be travelling to someone like Forfar for training midweek etc etc.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Paul Paton
Topic Originator: jock-par  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 17:57

Not the best footballer in the world but gave his all. Whittaker will be an improvement on him and I’m not surprised Paton is not going to get a full time club

We are Dunfermline, we're on our way back!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 18:01

Wish him all the best
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 18:04

He’ll stroll it at that level. I’m surprised Kelty aren’t after him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 18:19

Wish him all the best.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 18:22

With current circumstances if an opportunity comes your way that means you will earn a reasonable wage then players are going to jump at it. I think we’ll more players go PT than normal this summer.

I assume he’s had enough feedback that he’s confident of employment outside of football, and if that’s the case if he’s west coast based East Kilbride are a very good option to play PT, meant to be one of the higher payers and should be up the top end of LL.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 18:42

All makes sense for him if he's secured a decent job outwith football, EK will pay more than the likes of Dumbarton etc. A new challenge but the Lowland League is very competitive now with the likes of Kelty n Bonnyrigg.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 19:03

Lowland league is only going to get better with promotion currently being blocked to the premiership and the west juniors joining the pyramid

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 19:22

I thought he turned out to be great signing for us. The last time I saw him play, in the 2-0 win over Dundee Utd, he was immense.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 19:48

Wish Paul all the best. He led by example at EEP.
We've been devoid of true leadership for many years on the park and he gave it.

I thought we were wrong to let him go personally but it is over and thank him for his time.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 19:55

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Wed 1 Jul 19:48

Wish Paul all the best. He led by example at EEP.
We've been devoid of true leadership for many years on the park and he gave it.

I thought we were wrong to let him go personally but it is over and thank him for his time.

Agree
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 19:59

Ditto.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 00:02

Yes, he really made a difference, will stroll it and enjoy it.

I'm sure this will work well for him, be a good ending to his playing career, LL will be even more competitive next season, and he might take them to the SPFL
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 09:28

whether it was where he was being asked to play or whether the legs had gone, he always seemed to be sitting far too deep almost as a 3rd central defender as we lost the midfield as he refused to press until they were on our 18 yard box.

Could only kick it the way he was facing too. He got better as the season went on though and surprised he was let go given he was our captain but would like to think Whitaker is a better player both in football brain and mobility.

Given we have started signing players I guess everyone let go due to circumstances and end of contract means now that none of them will not be coming back?

Think Paton had a job at amazon last I heard?

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 09:39

I have said previously that he was the best captain we've had in years. I'm glad that he has got a job, he will do a great job at EK.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 09:40

When you say, legs had gone, Berkey, do you mean he has lost some pace, otherwise, he was as fit as anyone, from what I could see?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 09:50

Quote:

Berkey, Thu 02 Jul 09:28

whether it was where he was being asked to play or whether the legs had gone, he always seemed to be sitting far too deep almost as a 3rd central defender as we lost the midfield as he refused to press until they were on our 18 yard box.

Could only kick it the way he was facing too. He got better as the season went on though and surprised he was let go given he was our captain but would like to think Whitaker is a better player both in football brain and mobility.

Given we have started signing players I guess everyone let go due to circumstances and end of contract means now that none of them will not be coming back?

Think Paton had a job at amazon last I heard?

Maybe players weren’t let go due to “circumstance” at all?

I’m guessing the manager sees players like Watson and Whittaker as an upgrade on Ashcroft and Paton.

Tough on some players but no different than normal.

Hard to argue to be fair
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 11:48

I thought Paton was a pretty limited footballer. Great work ethic and will to win though.

Ability wise, Whittaker is a massive upgrade - if the plan is to play him as the holding midfielder. At 36 though, the worry would be about whether he has the legs and the motivation for it all but, if he does, it could be a pretty shrewd signing. Also, the truncated season might work in his favour.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 12:31

SC confirmed in his interview that Whittaker would play as a defensive midfielder but would also be able to provide cover for other positions.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 12:36

"Ability wise, Whittaker is a massive upgrade - if the plan is to play him as the holding midfielder. At 36 though, the worry would be about whether he has the legs and the motivation for it all but, if he does, it could be a pretty shrewd signing. Also, the truncated season might work in his favour."

He was playing this position for Hibs before the season was ended. The couple of Hibbees at my work said he was decent in there, and think he'll be a great signing for the Championship.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 17:08

Can somebody remind me how old Craig Brewster and Iain Ferguson were when they signed for the Pars and how that turned out?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 18:32

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 2 Jul 17:08

Can somebody remind me how old Craig Brewster and Iain Ferguson were when they signed for the Pars and how that turned out?

Correct. I always remember my Hibbee work colleague telling me Brewster was finished when we bought him from Hibs. Fast forward a few months and he ran the show in a 4-1 win at Easter Road 😁

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 19:06

After Paul Paton dropping down the leagues I see former Hamilton Accies captain Darian MacKinnon has gone from the Premiership in January, to the Championship for the rest of the campaign with Partick Thistle, to now signing for Drumchapel United in the 7th Tier, the new West Of Scotland League
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 19:52

I think they play on one of those fenced off AstroTurf pitches.

Probably just wants to continue playing for the hell of it, maybe hasn't enjoyed that last while, who knows.

Paton talking with Darvel, Killie pie magnate funding the club, again a good, fun way to finish a career, could end up a local hero.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 20:15

I think Craig Brewster was, in terms of initial expectation compared to what we actually got, one of the best signings our club made in a very, very long time. I recall watching him in a pre-season game vs E Fife in Methil and thinking to myself “this guy’s a proper player”.
Can’t put Paul Paton in this category, but he gave his all on the park and I wish him the very best for the future.

Post Edited (Mon 06 Jul 21:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 20:20

We must have been paying Craig Brewster some wage if Hibs couldn't match it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 21:36

Quote:

neils, Mon 6 Jul 19:52

I think they play on one of those fenced off AstroTurf pitches.

Probably just wants to continue playing for the hell of it, maybe hasn't enjoyed that last while, who knows.

Paton talking with Darvel, Killie pie magnate funding the club, again a good, fun way to finish a career, could end up a local hero.

They signed Ian McShane who should do very well there too.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 22:40

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 6 Jul 20:20

We must have been paying Craig Brewster some wage if Hibs couldn't match it.

It was around that time that we signed the Young brothers from Aberdeen after we could offer them a bigger wage than what Aberdeen could - all on our 5k average home crowds. Horrendous financial mismanagement.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Mon 06 Jul 22:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Levrad  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 22:52

Interesting news on Paton. Ryan Thomson has already signed for them. I must say I have a very soft spot for Darvel as it's my home town. Grew up in the 60s and 70s watching Darvel Jumiors. No interest in going to Rugby Park. I ended up following the big team in the smashing strip. Fast forward and I now live nearby (the f word) and two of my grandsons and I are season ticket holders and the third did his two year stint as a ballboy. Hopefully we will be back in the Norrie some time in the not too distant future.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 08:29

I remember when we signed the Young brothers. When things went wrong and everyone got their salary cut, the Youngs said that even after the cut they were on more at Dunfermline than they were on at Aberdeen.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 09:07

<<It was around that time that we signed the Young brothers from Aberdeen after we could offer them a bigger wage than what Aberdeen could - all on our 5k average home crowds. Horrendous financial mismanagement.>>

If my memory serves me correctly, the Pars board at the time based all their financial projections on home crowds being 8,000. That was wildly optimistic.

Many years ago I presented a cash flow projection on an expansion proposal to the chairman of the company I was working for at the time and he said, "Okay, I want you to go back and redo these figures, halving your projected income and doubling your expenses. If the numbers are still fine, we'll run with it..."

His philosophy would have worked much better for the Pars than the Masterton plan did.

Post Edited (Tue 07 Jul 09:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 09:51

A lot of players just now will be thinking about going part time so these smaller clubs offering a half decent wage for part time hours will be attractive to players who can pick up flexible work around training and games.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 10:28

Great wee stand at Darvel, Levrad. Interesting you gave Killie a bye at the high point in their history ... I always think of us and them as being like distant cousins: similar size towns with a 'wee team' rival along the coast; both big in the 60s; both playing in stripes, and each giving a big break to an legendary Old Firm manager. What swung you to the Pars?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 13:22

Crazy money being thrown about at that level again. Sounds along the lines of what Hurlford did a few years ago if they are getting guys making that big a drop.

Do they still have the management team thst used to run Colvile Park amateurs ? They were a fantastic side at that level, best ot everything too; pitch was like a bowling green, well run and very well funded (of course it was amateur so players were not getting paid........).

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Tue 07 Jul 13:23)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 14:30

Ronaldo,

The story is that when we played football as kids we would all go a different team. Plenty Rangers, Celtic and Killie supporters so I would always pick one of the other big teams - the one with the really smart strip - the black candy stripes, black shorts and the white socks with the red and black band at the top. Simples really and it just stuck :). My first time seeing the Pars was a 4-0 defeat at Rugby Park unfortunately.
The wee stand at Darvel is still there and it has a wee wall about a foot high along the front that was used for all sorts of games kicking the ball against it. Also in those days us kids would use the back of the nets as goals during games or play games across the semi circle behind the goals. Bet you that's not allowed now. Some goalies weren't too chuffed then.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 20:58

I'm with you on the strip, Levrad. There are lots of classic 60s kits, but DAFC's was the coolest by far, and it was the socks that made it ... probably influenced my own choice of who I'd support! Great to see it reappear three years ago.

I meant to say, I saw Darvel in the '76 Junior Cup Final at Hampden. More than 20,000 in the ground that day but Bo'ness were too strong. I think one of the Bo'ness team had been on Dunfermline's books, but can't remember who it was.

Happy days. Two weeks later I was at the European Final between Bayern and St Etienne and, three days after that, saw King Kenny poke the ball under Ray Clemence. Both £1.50 to get in, though I think the Darvel match was cheaper for some reason :0)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 23:14

I was there too. Was quite a day for the Darvel fans - first (and last) time in the final. As is normal in fan thinking it was rumoured that the ref had connections with Bo'ness and that is why they scored in the 52nd minute - of the first half. At least most of the town was out to give the players a huge ovation when they got back to Darvel.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 06:54

When a team from a small town gets to Hampden for a cup final, most of the town goes. Ross County and Gretna are 2 examples.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 09:22

Some of the EK fans don’t seem too chuffed at the thought of signing him, which baffles me. Steve Aitken is their new manager too. Some appointment for that level. It won’t be easy for Kelty next season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 21:44

Quote:

RossF, Wed 08 Jul 09:22

Some of the EK fans don’t seem too chuffed at the thought of signing him, which baffles me. Steve Aitken is their new manager too. Some appointment for that level. It won’t be easy for Kelty next season.

Signs for EK.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 22:29

He will walk that, good ending for him, did what he was asked for us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 10:58

I don't know what the quality of players are in their league. However my concern for him is that some idiot decides to take a red card by going into him with a ridiculous tackle, just so he can say to his mates that he had taken out a former Premier league player.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 11:04

Think you'll find most teams in the Lowland league will be full of expros.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 11:13

Half the teams in the lowland league are better than league 2

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Taxipar  
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 11:17

Usually go to see kelty if I’m not a pars away game and the standard of football is better than most league 1 and some championship games, with a good quality of players

A par since 1985
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 11:41

Mad that they dont get further in the cup competitions year upon year for how good the standard is...

The Prophet - 12/07/18, 13/06/19, 10/07/20
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 12:04

Quote:

AB Loyal, Thu 09 Jul 11:41

Mad that they dont get further in the cup competitions year upon year for how good the standard is...

We hammered both them (KH pre season admittedly) but couldn’t beat Stranraer.

It’s a myth the quality of Kelty and EK.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 12:06

They quite often do AB loyal.
Broxburn (tier 6) beat Cowdenbeath 3 nil
Penicuik (tier 6) beat stenhousemuir 3 nil
BSC Glasgow (tier5) beat East Fife 4-3
Bonnyrigg (tier 5) beat Montrose 2-1

Plenty of examples and that is just from last season

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 12:13

It's difficult to base any conclusion on one game.

Yes, we beat EK 4-0, but we also beat Albion Rovers 6-0. Both games at EEP when we were flying at the start of the season.

We then played Stranraer away, in the depth of winter, and played abysmally. It doesn't mean that Stranraer are better than say, Partick, who didn't beat us all season.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 12:16

Watched a few games last season and whilst Kelty, Linlithgow and even BSC were quite impressive there was a hell of a gulf between some of the other teams on display.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net