DAFC.net
Home 28 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Brazil to dump yellow jersey?
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 20:11

It’s the most instantly recognisable national football strip in the world. It’s a design classic that always sparks anticipation when it appears on our TV screens at a World Cup Finals. Yet the iconic yellow jersey has been appropriated by rightist political elements in Brazil and there is now talk of changing the national team colours. Other opponents think it is still possible to reclaim the jersey from the dirty paws of ultra nationalists. But as the man who designed it almost 70 years ago said, maybe what the strip represents was lost many years ago.

Most of us know the story of how Brazil were surprisingly beaten 2-1 by Uruguay in the 1950 WC Final in front of 200,000 supporters. In the aftermath, a competition was held to design a new strip to replace the white top with blue edging which had been used in the losing final. The rules were simply that all four colours in the Brazil flag had to be represented in the strip. An 18 year old newspaper illustrator called Schlee came first out of 400 entries and here are some of his earlier efforts.

His last one was bang on the mark and for me there is a touch of genius in the top of the socks, where the yellow jersey colour is reprised between two green stripes above all white calves. That white stripe down the pale blue shorts was a master stroke too.

Schlee never got any royalties so his life changed little. In fact when Brazil first won the World Cup in 1958 they had to change colours since Sweden played in yellow. For years I thought Brazil had played in what looked like blue polo shirts and it turns out I was right: rather than play in unlucky white, Brazil bought a couple of dozen blue polo shirts from a shop in Stockholm and sewed the badges on. It took the advent of colour TV to do full justice to Schlee’s inspired design but when the Brazilian FA signed a £100 million deal with Nike, Schlee remarked:

'Perhaps I feel a little guilty, actually, for creating something that is not as pure as it was once, something that now is about money.'

Maybe the strip is no longer worth saving.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Brazil to dump yellow jersey?
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 20:56

Guid Sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 00:00

Although it's the 1950 Brazil v Uruguay match is remembered as the 'final' it was in fact merely the final group match which just so happen would decide the tournament winner. Had Brazil managed a draw they would have still been world champions.
Anyway nice post about the strips Sammer. I thought they had always played in yellow.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.

Post Edited (Wed 08 Jul 00:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 06:03

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 8 Jul 00:00

Although it's the 1950 Brazil v Uruguay match is remembered as the 'final' it was in fact merely the final group match which just so happen would decide the tournament winner. Had Brazil managed a draw they would have still been world champions.
Anyway nice post about the strips Sammer. I thought they had always played in yellow.

Brazil's white strip went the same way as Man U's notorious grey one, TOWK. Maybe it was quite foggy in the Maracana when they lost to Uruguay in the last game of of the 1950 WC?

Sammer, another excellent contribution. It will be a sad day, if Brazil do abandon their iconic 'verdeoro' tops. For as long as I can remember, the green and cold combination has been synonymous with swaggering, flowing, expansive and inventive football, all played to the rhythm of the samba. And doesn't it look great on the Brazilian ladies among the spectators?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 13:45

I remember them playing in a blue strip in a World Cup game. They just wanted to emulate the real blue Brazil.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 13:48

Date: Wed 8 Jul 06:03

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 8 Jul 00:00

Brazil's white strip went the same way as Man U's notorious grey one, TOWK. Maybe it was quite foggy in the Maracana when they lost to Uruguay in the last game of of the 1950 WC?

Sammer, another excellent contribution. It will be a sad day, if Brazil do abandon their iconic 'verdeoro' tops. For as long as I can remember, the green and cold combination has been synonymous with swaggering, flowing, expansive and inventive football, all played to the rhythm of the samba. And doesn't it look great on the Brazilian ladies among the spectators?

It certainly does,as I witnessed close up in the stadium in Seville back in 82. Missed half the game looking at the ladies.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 14:33

Can't imagine 'The yellow Cowdenbeath' playing in any other colours.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 14:59

<<His last one was bang on the mark and for me there is a touch of genius in the top of the socks, where the yellow jersey colour is reprised between two green stripes above all white calves.>>

Very good post sammer. It would be an awful shame if Brazil were to lose those colours. As you say, the sight of that strip immediately lifts everyone's level of anticipation for what is to come.

Your comment on the socks (above) very much puts me in mind of how iconic the Pars socks were in the '60s - white with a black and red band.

No one else wore anything like it at the time. They were so smart and distinctive. Sadly they were phased out and replaced by run of the mill plain socks - presumably because they cost too much and the club was broke.

Would be nice to see them return to the Pars outfit one day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 15:28

I think all football fans would miss the Brazil strip; a World Cup without the yellow and green would not feel the same.

Young Mr. Schlee achieved something special with his design back in 1951 for he not only included Brazil’s national colours but also captured something of the way they play the game. The less exotic Germany strip does the same, its bold black and white contrast embodying the steely efficiency of their game.

So maybe time for a competition to design a new Scotland strip. That dingy blue top with an optional saltire has a long track record of failure and maybe reflects too accurately our often insipid displays. Imagine a Scottish strip that was instantly recognisable and associated with sharp, creative football. A strip worn at World Cup competitions by cavorting, red-haired, Celtic maidens who endeared us to the footballing world. We might even get past the group stages.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 15:29

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/30555828
Six years on from a football humiliation that probably had greater effect on the Brazilian national psyche than the 1950 defeat.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 15:45

No question that was a seminal moment in Brazil's history. Not just its football history. It could be argued that the nation will never really fully recover from that humiliation.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 16:42

Quote:

OzPar, Wed 8 Jul 15:45

No question that was a seminal moment in Brazil's history. Not just its football history. It could be argued that the nation will never really fully recover from that humiliation.

That has to be the most bizarre game and scoreline ever. I actually tipped Brazil to win, not because they were any great shakes but because I thought with home advantage and God being Brazilian, they would somehow muddle through, with an additional bit of help from well briefed match officials. Without Neymar, they were shorn of their talisman and most creative influence. My abiding memory was that of David Luis, abandoning his defensive beat to run up the pitch to try and retrieve an already hopeless situation and Germany scoring with almost every counter attack.

The Germans probably deserved their WC win in the end, but they were no great shakes themselves and extremely lucky in the final itself when Manuel Neuer should have been red carded for his assault on Gonzalo Higuain. Had he walked, Messi and Co. would surely have proved to be too good for their 10 man opponents.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 16:57

Higuian bottled a chance or two as well if I recall correctly.
I too thought that Brazil would win that World Cup due to home advantage. The year below they thumped Spain in the Confederations Cup Final which was also in Brazil and you could see how up for it the Brazilian team were with the crowd begind them. Like you said GG, without Neymar they just had nothing special about them.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 17:27

Here’s the blue polo shirts bought in Stockholm as worn in the 1958 WC Final, complete with sewn on badges and numbers. Brazil had to change into double green stripe socks as well it seems, in order to avoid a clash with Sweden’s yellow. I liked the way Brazil usually included the physio, called Feola I think, in team photos.

That 1958 Brazil side was probably better than the 1970 one since it had a good goalie, two decent centre backs and two outstanding full backs in Djalma and Nilton Santos. Tostao and Rivelino could have made the front five but Jairzinho and Gerson would struggle to replace Garrincha and Didi.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 17:48

Quote:

sammer, Wed 8 Jul 17:27

Here’s the blue polo shirts bought in Stockholm as worn in the 1958 WC Final, complete with sewn on badges and numbers. Brazil had to change into double green stripe socks as well it seems, in order to avoid a clash with Sweden’s yellow. I liked the way Brazil usually included the physio, called Feola I think, in team photos.

That 1958 Brazil side was probably better than the 1970 one since it had a good goalie, two decent centre backs and two outstanding full backs in Djalma and Nilton Santos. Tostao and Rivelino could have made the front five but Jairzinho and Gerson would struggle to replace Garrincha and Didi.

I read a story about one of the full backs you mention, Sammer - not sure if it was Djalma or Nilton. In the showers after a game one of them called to one of the younger players (Amarildo?) to pass the soap. The youngster threw over the wet bar. The full back trapped it on his thigh, proceeded to play keeps uppie with it 3 or 4 times before catching it and using it.

Impressive, eh?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 20:38

For a second I was wondering where that shower and soap story was going GG! 😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 22:46

Sounds like Djalma Santos on the extreme left of the photo back row. Like Pele and Didi he was of negro origin. Djalma was built like a middleweight boxer and moved like a panther. He commanded everything in front of him and when he moved forward looked like the right half he had been in the 1954 EC Finals.

The only game Djalma played in 1958 was the final itself since Brazil were nervous about the left wing Swede Nacka Skoglund. Nacka was the Jim Baxter of his day and could use his left foot like a tin opener even when he was drunk; which was often. In the final Djalma dominated him to exclusion which is partly why that great Brazilian team won 5-2.

Djalma's defensive play was outstanding in the final and his ability to hit medium range passes through the air to midfielders was as good as anything we see today. He played in the 1962 winning team as well and even turned up in 1966 when he was exposed by the great Hungarian performance at Goodison led by Florian Albert. Four world cups and two wins was a pretty good record.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net