DAFC.net
Home 12 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Congratulations Leeds United
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 19:30

Well done , after several seasons of blowing up after Christmas Leeds are back amongst the big boys. Very fitting this time.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Congratulations Leeds United
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 19:34

Yes good to see them back in the top league.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 19:56

It's been a long journey since they were last in the top flight in 2004. It's crazy to think they were CL semi finalists shortly before that and almost went under due to wanton mismanagement by their Chairman. Relegation to League 1 followed, where they struggled for several seasons before making it back to the Championship. Sound familiar? Maybe we can take some optimism from their return.

Like the Pars, Leeds emerged as a top team under a top manager, in the 60s. Like the Pars, they had players who could play a bit, but could also look after themselves when the going got tough. Where Leeds differed was that they were often quite cynical, hence the tag, Dirty Leeds. They were a team feared and unloved by everyone but their own fans and were extremely unlucky not to win the European Champions Cup v Bayern in 1975. Bremner, Giles, Clarke, Lorimer, Frank and Eddie Gray.....

I wonder how things would have panned out for them more recently if they hadn't sold Eric Cantona to Man U for a derisory £1m. I wish them well in the Premiership. They've been away for far too long.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 20:15

There was a time when half the side were Scots, not the case now though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 20:24

They're a big club with a fan base from all round the country. Lat time I was at their ground they had a supporters club from Aberdeen down. Also met some weegie Leeds fans in the pub at night.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 20:35

Glad they are back, just a shame big Jack couldn't see it

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thepars68  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 20:36

Yes thought you would be happy that your wee team has at last got back to the big time. Hopefully we can do it this year and then your Scottish wee team, Ayr the year after.

thepars68
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 20:47

Leeds are, I feel, a team who divide opinion. They have, as others have said, a huge fan base. On the other hand they’ve had a lot of ‘bad boys’ in their teams over the years and their fans had, at one time, an unsavoury reputation.

I’m happy to see them back though. They’ve been knocking on the door for a long time and they deserve their success. Let’s hope they can adapt to life in the top league.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 60yearapar  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 21:07

Always been my favourite English team,from the days when they had all the scots playing with them. Great to see them back in the big time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 21:12

Huge fan of Bielsa since his time at Chile - very pleased to see him get some success and congrats to Dirty Leeds - nice 6pts for Man Utd next season ;-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 21:17

Sadly 6 less points for Cardiff unless promoted via play offs.. Been to five Leeds v Cardiff games. Never seen Leeds win.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 21:21

Topic Originator: thepars68
Date: Fri 17 Jul 20:36

“Yes thought you would be happy that your wee team has at last got back to the big time. Hopefully we can do it this year and then your Scottish wee team, Ayr the year after.“

That threw me for a second ! Great to hear from you - hopefully not too long until we take our seats again in the North West. I am looking forward to this season with a degree of anticipation.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 21:47

Will be interesting when fans are allowed to travel again
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 21:55

More importantly, Brentford only four points away from the Premier, never imagine when I started going to games at Griffin Park they might be in the top league soon!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 22:10

Quote:

Grant, Fri 17 Jul 21:55

More importantly, Brentford only four points away from the Premier, never imagine when I started going to games at Griffin Park they might be in the top league soon!

Yes, I hope the Bees can make it up. Their GD suggests they deserve to go up with Leeds and they're on a roll right now. A stadium with a similar capacity to EEP, they could well replace Bournemouth and their small stadium, but will do very well to match the 5 seasons in the Premiership which the Robins have managed.

I hope WBA can make it too. I have had a soft spot for them since the Pars knocked them out of the ECWC quarter finals in 69.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 22:32

The Robins are Bristol City are they not GG? Bournemouth, to whom you are I think referring, are the Cherries.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 22:42

Be great to see Bielsa having a crack at the top flight, his Chile team were exciting to watch, and this Leeds team look great fun.

The Bees have almost finished their new stadium, really close to Griffin Park, the club mostly owned by the matchbook owner Benham, he has pumped serious money into the infrastructure of the club, while keeping a low wage structure, similair to Tony Bloom at Brighton, they have a serious scouting and analysis side, so I would imagine could have a crack at the top flight with 'unknown' players.

Good stuff.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 22:53

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 17 Jul 22:10

Quote:

Grant, Fri 17 Jul 21:55

Yes, I hope the Bees can make it up. Their GD suggests they deserve to go up with Leeds and they're on a roll right now. A stadium with a similar capacity to EEP, they could well replace Bournemouth and their small stadium, but will do very well to match the 5 seasons in the Premiership which the Robins have managed.

I hope WBA can make it too. I have had a soft spot for them since the Pars knocked them out of the ECWC quarter finals in 69.

Moving into a new stadium next season GG, one of the main things that made me like Brentford so much while I've lived down in England was the stadium, pretty old school, loved standing on the terracing behind the goal. A pub on each corner of the ground is nice aswell. I hope the new stadium has the same atmosphere but I'm apprehensive.

Think you're meaning the cherries and I agree, if they manage to match that then they'll have done extremely well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 17 Jul 23:52

It's a pity Leeds have gone up. A pretty scummy team, with plenty of scummy, racist fans. Not really what the top tier need
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 00:16

<<one of the main things that made me like Brentford so much while I've lived down in England was the stadium, pretty old school,>>

You can hardly miss the Brentford ground when flying into Heathrow. The roofs of the stands are painted with adverts, no doubt deliberately aimed at aeroplane passengers.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 05:19

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 17 Jul 19:56

I wonder how things would have panned out for them more recently if they hadn't sold Eric Cantona to Man U for a derisory £1m.

Cantona was sold because he was pumping Leslie Ash who is Lee Chapman's wife.
She has denied this but I heard it before Cantona was sold from a guy I was in the RAF with who was from Leeds and whose parents were friends of Chapman.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 05:33

''The Robins are Bristol City are they not GG? Bournemouth, to whom you are I think referring, are the Cherries.''

Ha, my bad - this is what happens when you show off, although I don't like using a noun twice in the same sentence and you can get round that when talking about football teams by using their nicknames.

''Moving into a new stadium next season GG, one of the main things that made me like Brentford so much while I've lived down in England was the stadium, pretty old school, loved standing on the terracing behind the goal. A pub on each corner of the ground is nice as well. I hope the new stadium has the same atmosphere but I'm apprehensive.''

Didn't know about the new stadium, Grant. What's it's capacity? I know what you mean about the old style grounds. It's what I miss most about EEP. My mate and I could move right round the terracing at half time to stand behind the goal the Pars were attacking. The only games this wasn't possible or advisable was when the OF were in town. As an adult, I then took up a central spot on under the North Enclosure.

I thought Bournemouth were meant to be getting a new stadium, too. I hope they can stay up as I can't see them coming back up if they go down, like many small clubs before them - Barnsley, Swindon etc.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 12:20

Looking forward to seeing a lot more of Leeds next season. Really good to watch

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net