DAFC.net
Home 12 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Changes to Laws of the Game - 2020/21
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 14:09

I always make a point of looking at the changes before each new season - really just so that on the very rare occasion when I might show some quiet displeasure at a refereeing decision, I've at least tried to understand the rules they're applying.

I've been over them today, and there's a handy presentation on the IFAB website that goes through them (click far right edge of each slide to advance):

https://theifab.com/presentation-of-ifab-log-2020-21/

I didn't think it would be possible to surpass last year's changes around handball in terms of stupidity, but they seem to have managed it. They've tried to clear up this nonsense of goals being disallowed after an accidental handball and have only made things even less clear.

The highlight is that goalkeepers can now be booked or sent off for an offence that only leads to an indirect free kick! Seriously, who the **** thought that one up? Taking a second touch at a restart has always been an indirect free kick, but now a goalkeeper can be sent off for it if it denies a good goalscoring chance. And it only applies to goalkeepers, not other players! What an absolute shambles that one is.

The last big one is that if the referee plays advantage for a foul that stops a promising attack, it's no longer a booking when play eventually stops. That's absolutely mental.

The one small thing that is good is that they've removed 'usually' from the bit about handball - it was daft that it was ever put in last year and I moaned a lot about it, so I suppose it's good to have one small positive among the sea of absolute nonsense.

Post Edited (Sat 18 Jul 14:38)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Changes to Laws of the Game - 2020/21
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 15:37

Some bonkers stuff there. The double touch at free kick part is especially odd given it was heavily suggested that there was possibility of removing the requirement for another player to touch the ball.(aimed at players that are in a promising position when fouled could then take a quick free kick to themselves rather than waiting on a teammate, by which point the opportunity might be over) I also don’t understand why they have only aimed in at goalkeepers. So if an outfield player commits the exact same offence then they can’t get carded, but a keeper gets sent off? Bizzare.

On the positive front they have given keepers a bit more leeway with penalties that they no longer are booked for the first offence, and are unlikely to be punished if the penalty is missed rather than saved. Also having yellow cards not carrying into penalty kicks.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allanwilson10  
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 16:38

One small rule that I wasn't aware of is that a player has to be 2 metres away from another player taking a throw in. Is this a recent thing because I am sure you used to be able to stand right in front of them to stop them from following through with the throw as the contact would be punished with a free kick. This was used to hinder long throw attempts.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 20:22

Can someone help me out here.
"The highlight is that goalkeepers can now be booked or sent off for an offence that only leads to an indirect free kick! Seriously, who the **** thought that one up? Taking a second touch at a restart has always been an indirect free kick, but now a goalkeeper can be sent off for it if it denies a good goalscoring chance. And it only applies to goalkeepers, not other players! What an absolute shambles that one is."

I'm maybe not understandimg this properly. So a keeper takes a free kick in his box, perhaps woefully under hits it and sees that an opposing forward is going to get to it before one of his defenders and so decides to rush out and kick the ball again which he isn't allowed to do and thus stops the forward getting a goal scoring chance. Is that the sort of situation that can now be punished with a red card?

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 20:25

TOWK yes that’s correct.

If your center half does the same thing it’s not a card.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 20:44

There's an example video shown if you go through the slides at the link above with a completely innocuous one. Keeper slips taking a goal kick and the ball moves about 5 yards so he goes over and kicks it again, properly this time. How anyone could watch that and think 'yes, he deserved to be sent off for that' I really don't know.

And indeed, it's crazy that it only applies to goalkeepers. Until now, the only difference between goalkeepers and other players was that they could handle the ball in their own penalty area. Adding this new rule and making it applicable to all players would be stupid enough, but applying it to only one particular player is incomprehensible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 20:51

But is it an automatic mandatory red card or does this just give the ref now the option that he didn't have before?

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 21:07

You'd probably be better to read it for yourself, free of any prejudices and biases I might have.

But, like existing offences that deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity, if the referee considers that it does deny this then the player has to be sent off. There doesn't really seem much scope for discretion. As I say though, you'd be better reading it and looking at the example for yourself.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 18 Jul 21:26

It sounds like a daft law but how often is it likely to be applied? I can’t remember the last time I watched a keeper hit the ball twice if ever.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 00:28

One reason football became a mass game world wide was because the basic rule was so simple: you had to kick the ball rather than play it with your hand.
The offside law was easily ignored in kickabout games and often unenforceable in lower level football. Apart from that, everyone understood the rules.

If I, as a senior citizen who has watched football since around 1962, struggle to understand the incessant changes to the rules then it may be that I am too feeble minded to grasp them. The alternative, which I prefer, is that the rule changers are a bunch of adolescents intent on making the game more 'entertaining.'
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 06:59

Not for the first time, I find myself in complete agreement with socks and sammer and share their frustration and consternation.

Does anyone know how many former footballers make up the IFAB Board? I'd be completely gob smacked if the total number isn't less than 1.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 07:03

Gary Lineker was part of a consolation process in some form.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 07:08

From the IFAB website:-

The Board of Directors (BoD) comprises the General Secretaries of the four British associations and The IFAB Secretary General, and constitutes the executive body of The IFAB.

Members:
1. Fatma SAMOURA (FIFA)
2. Jonathan FORD (FAW)
3. Mark BULLINGHAM (THE FA)
4. Patrick NELSON (IFA)
5. Ian MAXWELL (SFA)

The Football- and Technical Advisory Panels (FAP and TAP) bring together experts from across the world of football. FAP and TAP provide advice to IFAB.

The FAP consists of former football players, former and current coaches, representatives from the International Federation of Professional Footballers (FIFPro) and technical directors and experts from the confederations. FAP members bring their expertise and knowledge to the discussions of footballing issues and the sporting aspects of potential Law changes.

The TAP consists of the leading refereeing experts from all confederations as well as the members of The IFAB’s Technical Subcommittee (TSC). The TAP members bring their technical and refereeing expertise and knowledge to the discussions of footballing issues and the impacts of potential Law changes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 07:16

Socks,

Can you explain your interpretation of the new substitution laws?

The new laws, which at the moment are temporary, allow for five substitutions instead of three and increase the number of players on the bench from seven to nine. There will be three designated times during a match when substitutions can take place.

However, there remains some question over whether players who are injured outside of these three timeslots can be substituted. Are you in a position to clarify if this is the case or not?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 09:19

"It sounds like a daft law but how often is it likely to be applied? I can’t remember the last time I watched a keeper hit the ball twice if ever."

Ditto.

Has there been a high profile incident where a goalkeeper has double touched to prevent a goal scoring opportunity ?

That could only be a goal kick or free kick scenario.

Goal kicks no longer need clear the penalty area, they are in play whenever the ball is kicked, although opponents may not enter the penalty box until then.

Perhaps a keeper has miskicked a goal kick to a teammate in the penalty area, and an alert opponent has nipped in to take advantage, thereby obliging the keeper to make an illegal second touch, thereby denying the goal scoring opportunity ?

Can't see it being a significant issue - if it is, any outfielder can take these kicks to reduce the minute possibility of the keeper being compromised resulting in a a sending off.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 09:42

Ah, that’s why this law has been put in place I’d imagine. A keeper playing a short pass to one of his players makes this more likely to happen now.

I noticed in one of the games yesterday (May have been Chelsea) a player standing in the 6 yard box when the keeper was taking a bye kick. It wasn’t taken short.

Post Edited (Mon 20 Jul 09:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 11:42

In the "old" rules, as I understood them, a double touch of a goal kick (by any player) would mean a retake as long as the ball was still within the penalty area - an indirect free kick to the opposition if outside, the latter being a nearly impossible scenario.

Presumably that was changed along with the revision of the goal kick law when altered to allow the ball to become active immediately it was kicked - without having to clear the penalty area ?

So, if a double touch by the keeper results in an opponent being denied a clear goal scoring opportunity - is it punished by a direct free kick to the opposition, regardless of where it occurred, plus an automatic red card for the keeper ?

Would that be a penalty kick if the offence were in the penalty area ?

Surely not ?

Anybody else confused, or just senile old me ?

Post Edited (Mon 20 Jul 11:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 14:31

If it's to prevent a goalkeeper recovering their own short pass, it doesn't seem very logical. It seems pretty much impossible that anyone could run fast enough to chase their own pass, unless it's miskicked. Seriously, try to have a look at the example shown in the link above, where a goalkeeper attempts to hit a goal kick up the park in normal fashion and falls over the ball. Anyone who thinks that a senidng off is appropriate in that situation surely has no feel for what the game is about. If the intention was to stop short passes being recovered, you'd think they'd put something showing that as their example.

It won't be used very often, but I don't think that's important. It's a stupid rule that achieves absolutely nothing sensible, and is grosly unfair to goalkeepers when they might make a simple mistake. Last year's change that stated the ball was in play as soon as it was kicked (at a goal kick) was fair enouggh, but this one is just stupid.

Very tough on goalkeepers, particularly in the 'windy day at Gayfield' scenario. If a gust of wind blows a bye kick back at them, are they now just expected to stand aside and let it go in, given that an illegal second touch would prevent a goal and therefore be a sending off?

And no, it's not a direct free kick (or a penalty), which is one of the things that makes it so unbelievably stupid. That's right, a goalkeeper can now be sent off for a technical offence that results only in an indirect free kick.

On the subs thing, my interpretation is no better than anyone else's. The temporary amendment is here:

https://theifab.com/laws/chapter/23/section/35/

The three times at which subs can be made are not specified in advance, so it would only be an issue if you got an injury after you'd used up your three slots for making subs during play.

As an aside, I wonder just how temprary this is going to be. Its use has been extended and can be used in any competitions that finish before next July. Would anyone be surprised if some people quite liked it and it was retained indefinitely? It would be a bad move if that did happen, and very much favour the bigger clubs.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 15:06

Agreed - they need to give footage of actual match situations play to explain these changes.

"Very tough on goalkeepers, particularly in the 'windy day at Gayfield' scenario. If a gust of wind blows a bye kick back at them, are they now just expected to stand aside and let it go in, given that an illegal second touch would prevent a goal and therefore be a sending off?"

An OG can't be scored from a goal kick - unless they've messed about with that rule as well !!!

The keeper would be best advised to stand aside and concede a corner in the Arbroath weather coditions described !!!

Unless an alert opponent chases it down and forces him to make an illegal second touch.

Just a mess.

No booking for an opponent where he commits a cautionable foul and the referee allows advantage is justs as nuts IMO.

Puts the official in a no win situation if the offended team don't /can't benefit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 15:29

Don't know why the keep messing with the rules, the game was pretty much perfect until recently. Far too many rules now
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 18:46

Absolutely.

For starters - never followed the logic of letting goal kicks be taken from anywhere along the six yard box line. Taken from the side the ball went out of play was entirely sensible.

Then the crazy rule that players injured as the result of foul play by an opponent had to leave the field of play - leaving his side a man down.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 19:19

You're right about OGs from goal kicks VEE, not quite sure how I forgot about that! Thankfully that's one thing that hasn't (yet) been played around with and of course means that my 'windy day at Gayfield' scenario isn't valid.

I don't particularly mind small tweaks now and again but since the big rewrite 3-4 years ago it all just seems a bit of a mess. The big handball change last year was absolute garbage - I said so at the time and still think those changes were stupid for a number of reasons. I'd hoped that this year's version would correct that mistake but sadly not, and it seems we're stuck with utterly stupid rules.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 20:29

on the goalkeeper second touching it defaults to normal ball in play really. If the player makes an @rse of it and ball is falling for striker to have clear shot on goal then the foul that occurs is managed under DOGSO and keeper is dismissed, if its 50/50 or odds in defensive team favour then caution as a promising attack. Guess the contentious one is where keeper is already on a caution and promising attack is deemed and 2nd yellow is issued.

The "downgrading" of a caution if quick restart happens is baffling for me. If its a caution then allow advantage/quick free kick and the appropriate sanction. This for me slows the game down a players will stop in order to make sure opponents are cautioned.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 07:38

The one concerning me is the prospect of a club being allowed to bring on five substitutes during a match.

I believe that has already been agreed for the Betfred League Cup, with the draw on Monday.

I think it is the case the Championship, League 1 and 2 clubs have yet to rubber stamp it for League matches.

My concern is the obvious ie only one club ,namely Hearts, can bring on high calibre subs without diluting the team but the other clubs cannot.

Indeed some Championship clubs never fill the bench.

I hope we ,sensibly, stick to three.

I believe we are not adopting the English drinks break, nor coming onto the pitch with a tactical blackboard ,Brentford style!

Only having substitutions at certain moments in the game is a boon too.It was a sickener when an Opposition team wasted time substituting in the dying minutes not that we ever did that.......

Post Edited (Sat 08 Aug 10:50)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net