DAFC.net
Home 12 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Odds...
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 12:28

With our recent signings I think our odds for promotion will be lower than they have been for a long time. Hearts obviously favourites but I think we can aim for 2nd.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Odds...
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 12:50

3rd. Hearts, Inverness then us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 12:59

Inverness? Half their teams gone! That’s a strange one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 13:05

They've also been steadily having to reduce their budget for the last few years as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: coventrypar  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 13:27

We want to be bang average at 5th or 6th favourites if anyone wants a punt on the pars getting promoted.

"If you have no kind words to say you should say nothing more at all"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 14:45

Inverness have the canniest manager in the Championship. How many times have they taken points off us in recent years? Far too many times is the answer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 15:08

My top 4 Favs at this stage

1.Hearts or Dundee United (would be shocked if it's not Hearts)
2.Dunfermline
3.Inverness
4.Dundee
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Darrenwntr1984  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 15:48

Mines is : pars
Heart's
Ayr
Inverness

Darren winter
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 18:30

United were as long as 7/4 at the start of the season so i'd imagine Hearts will be a bit shorter, if not odds on.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 19:19

Topic Originator: OzPar like | nolike
Date: Sun 19 Jul 14:45

Inverness have the canniest manager in the Championship. How many times have they taken points off us in recent years? Far too many times is the answer.

There chairman is also running for election to the SPFL championship club representives, as well as our own chairman. Interesting to see the squabbles that might add.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 19:31

It was interesting to hear those commenting on sportsound yesterday that they didn't think the Inverness chairman will get a single vote in the ballot.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 08:27

Wonder what odds we were For the league last season? Or the odds at half time in the first game?

I’d like to remind folk that half our team has gone too, along with the best player we have had for many a year. Other teams just as likely to unearth a gem from the lower leagues as we are.

Caley will always do well in this league, they always seem to put out a big strong team.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jock-par  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 09:26

Have grown to dislike ICT during lockdown with all their chairman has done to try to gain promotion from a pandemic. Hope they are down the bottom of the league

We are Dunfermline, we're on our way back!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRreturns  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 09:40

Berkey wrote:

>Wonder what odds we were For the league last season? Or the odds at half time >in the first game?

>I’d like to remind folk that half our team has gone too, along with the best >player we have had for many a year. Other teams just as likely to unearth a gem >from the lower leagues as we are.

>Caley will always do well in this league, they always seem to put out a big strong team.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[I
>
> I’m here to take over!!

Few of my mates had Dunfermline at 9/1 last season. I’d imagine our odds will be shorter that that given the current state of other squads. I’d recon around 6/1

I’m here to take over!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC_Mike  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 11:51

I believe if the odds were totally fair then you would be looking at:

1. Heart of Midlothian 3/5
2. Dundee 10/1
3. Inverness Caledonian Thistle 10/1
4. Dunfermline Athletic 16/1
5. Ayr United 50/1
6. Greenock Morton 50/1
7. Queen of the South 100/1
8. Raith Rovers 100/1
9. Arbroath 500/1
10. Alloa Athletic 500/1
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 17:49

Best not give up the day job then

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 20:02

Why? That's a pretty reasonable attempt at a "true odds" book.

I'd maybe have us at 12s or 14s but a lot of the rest is pretty close IMO
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 20:02

Actually I'd make Ayr a bit shorter too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 22:44

Mate, I’d give you 50/1 right now on Ayr

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 23:00

1. Heart of Midlothian 3/5
2. Dundee 10/1
3. Inverness Caledonian Thistle 10/1
4. Dunfermline Athletic 16/1
5. Ayr United 50/1
6. Greenock Morton 50/1
7. Queen of the South 100/1
8. Raith Rovers 100/1
9. Arbroath 500/1
10. Alloa Athletic 500/1

Your book percentage is about 88 per cent, so you could bet every team staked proportionately at those odds and still win. Bookies will tend to bet to about 115% Ante Post on the Championship
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 23:01

For reference

Last season's odds

Dundee Utd 7/4
Dundee 7/2
Partick Thistle 4/1 :)
Inverness 7/1
Ayr United 8/1
Dunfermline 9/1
Morton 16/1
Arbroath 25/1
Queen of the South 25/1
Alloa 50/1

At Mike's odds I'd have a couple of quid e/w on Arbroath who finished above us :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 20 Jul 23:19

To be pragmatic, we seem to have become a bit too familiar with this league. That could be a bad thing if we consider the likes of our good friends Falkirk. Because if you aim too low you can go even lower. We have to be aiming to win this league and really go for it. If we fall short it won't be for want of effort. Our away form wasn't good enough last season and for a good part of the season neither was our home form. With new players they may need time to gell but sometimes players just hit it off together. If our two front men can hit it off right away we may be in with a chance of challenging at the top instead of mid table mediocrity.

Post Edited (Mon 20 Jul 23:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 00:01

Why have Aye got such long odds?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 00:11

I would have Ayr about 25/1. They have performed above the sum of their parts in the last couple of seasons.

Championship is notoriously difficult to predict. Bar Hearts i would struggle to predict where anyone is going to finish.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Tue 21 Jul 00:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 00:43

Actually, when you look at the full list of teams, it has the makings of another tight division.

Everyone would expect Hearts to romp home and they may well do, barring them taking a few games to adjust to the Championship.

At the other end, QOS look shaky based on their dismal performance towards the end of last season and their well-advertised shortage of money. Alloa may struggle too unless they can adequately replace their main strike force.

Arbroath? Can Dick Campbell continue to perform miracles? The Rovers may well emulate Arbroath and exceed expectations this coming season. It's not uncommon for promoted teams to do that.

Morton lost a bit of momentum last season and like Ayr will be looking for a lot of new blood to maintain any challenge.

That would leave Dundee, Inverness and the Pars to fight it out for the playoff place... maybees.

But I know nothing about betting. I haven't placed a bet since William Hill in Dundee stung me out of sizeable accumulated winnings with the World Cup in 1978.

I wrote "Argentina to win final" rather than "Argentina to win cup" on my slip. According to the bookie, the final finished 1-1 as the bet applied to 90 minutes and didn't include extra time.

That scunnered me with bookies for life.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 00:59

I would be cautious about our chances too as much as I think we have done some decent business we have lost our top scorer and best player. The jury is out on McManus to get the number of goals Nisbet did certainly based on his last spell with us so I reckon we will be relying on some of the wingers and midfielders to chip in more than last season.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 06:48

Quote:

Frank Butchers LoveHandles, Tue 21 Jul 00:59

I would be cautious about our chances too as much as I think we have done some decent business we have lost our top scorer and best player. The jury is out on McManus to get the number of goals Nisbet did certainly based on his last spell with us so I reckon we will be relying on some of the wingers and midfielders to chip in more than last season.

Again it’s not up to McManus to replace Nisbet. Our front 2 and left wing position combined scored around 22 league goals?

That’s replaced by McManus, O’Hara and Thomas who should do that between them
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dfc  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 07:55

Hearts will be favs, its a bit early for the rest, if we recruit a cpl of decent players we will be up there.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net