DAFC.net
Home 12 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Nigel Pearson
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 15:13

Watford are set to sack manager Nigel Pearson with two games of the Premier League season remaining and the side three points above the relegation zone.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Nigel Pearson
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 15:47

They have ''previous''...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 16:10

If they do, I hope they go down. IIRC, they were in a far more perilous state when he arrived at Vicarage Rd.

Pearson might not be everybody's cup of tea, but he can get his team's to scrap for every point. Didn't he oversee a miracle escape by Leicester, before getting the sack? Ranieri came in and only won the Premiership title, so he had to go, too. ☹

Some EPL club owners are completely bonkers.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 16:11

If they’ve sacked him for their league position then they’re making a mistake. It’s Nigel Pearson though so it could be for something else.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 16:15

That's nuts, unless he's been 'unorthodox' behind the scenes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 16:24

Think there is an arrangement in place that means either can tear up contract at the end of the season ?

Cowley sacked by Huddersfield

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 19:11

Makes one wonder how many managers of quality that Watford expect and can afford are available in the comming weeks.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 19:16

My own view is Pearson is a great motivator and will inspire and get the best from his players...Although he does not come across well in the media interviews .... He was hugely instrumental in Leicester's Premiership winning side and perhaps a bit ahead of the pack in terms of diet, training, sports science etc. I was laughed at on here when I said It was Pearsons team not Ranieri's that won the Premiership but I still believe with the same back room staff in place to be the case .....Dilly ding Dilly dong

Like G.G. said if they sack him then woe betide them they deserve to go down
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 20:39

SKY Sports reporting that Pearson has been sacked - absolutely crazy. Bournemouth are as good as down along with Norwich. Villa are the only team who have any chance of catching them.

I think they would have done enough to stay up but his sacking will not help Watford's chances while simultaneously giving Villa a real boost,

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Sun 19 Jul 21:24

Quote:

allparone, Sun 19 Jul 16:11

If they’ve sacked him for their league position then they’re making a mistake. It’s Nigel Pearson though so it could be for something else.

allparone has a very good point here....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 08:17

Wheres there smoke as they say :-

Watford captain Troy Deeney has denied reports of a fight in the Hornets' dressing room during half-time in Friday's 3-1 defeat at West Ham.

The Hornets sacked Nigel Pearson on Sunday and are one place and three points above the relegation zone before hosting Manchester City on Tuesday.

"The gaffer didn't put his hands on anybody, he was just frustrated and had a firm talking to us," Deeney said.

"No-one was fighting, no-one was punched. There were no hands thrown."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 12:50

So he kicked someone?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 13:11

There is something off about Pearson. I just can’t put my finger on it. Reminds me of a militant PE teacher.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 13:49

I'd be more worried he didn't have players by the throat at half time. That were absolutely abysmal against a very poor west ham team in a relegation dogfight.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 15:06

''Wheres there smoke as they say :-

Watford captain Troy Deeney has denied reports of a fight in the Hornets' dressing room during half-time in Friday's 3-1 defeat at West Ham.

The Hornets sacked Nigel Pearson on Sunday and are one place and three points above the relegation zone before hosting Manchester City on Tuesday.

"The gaffer didn't put his hands on anybody, he was just frustrated and had a firm talking to us," Deeney said.

"No-one was fighting, no-one was punched. There were no hands thrown."

Do you think Deeney was being cute here and alerting all and sundry to the exact opposite, BPP? Pearson looks like another graduate from the Vinnie Jones school of hard nutters, but we can't anyone's hardness by how tough they look.

There might be a real pussy under that rock hard veneer..... 😀

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 15:49

Fergie wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes by today's standards.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 16:09

Quote :- G.G.

Do you think Deeney was being cute here and alerting all and sundry to the exact opposite, BPP? Pearson looks like another graduate from the Vinnie Jones school of hard nutters, but we can't anyone's hardness by how tough they look.

I'm not really sure G.G. obviously something has been done or said to upset the owners

I don't think I would tackle Troy Deeney tho :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 16:47

He was only contracted to the end of this season which technically finished weeks ago. The result against the hammers was the breaking point for him and as far as I heard the board 'sacked' him to save a massive bonus payment if he kept them up.
It's also going round that John Terry and Mr ranGerrard are prefered choices but unlikely due to the Watford boards past history.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 18:15

Watford v Man City is currently live on Pick Channel 11 on Freeview.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 20:53

Ooft! Sacking Pearson has produced the desired effect, hasn't it? And Villa are leading v Arsenal.

The Hornets could be about to snatch relegation from the jaws of safety. ☹

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 21:41

Watford away to Arsenal, Villa away to West Ham next!

Looks like it could go to last minute, Watford get what they deserve.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 21:50

Can't stand Pearson, but always pleasing to see teams that panic sack fail. Also hopefully keeps Mcginn in the Premier league
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 22:12

Villa win, now above Watford
Going to be some final day
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Jul 23:22

In tonight's Premiership games neither Watford nor Arsenal managed a shot on target according to the BBC stats. That's a pretty poor return considering the amount of money invested in that league.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 00:20

wee-eck - since the re-start and no crowd in the stadium I have watched a lot of games in the EPL (Being overseas means I get most of them all the time to pick from and extensive highlights) it's made me realise how poor the EPL actually is outwith the top 4 or 5

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 00:36

Villa have been an absolute eyesore this season and they absolutely deserve to go down but Watford deserve all they get with their chopping and changing of managers in recent seasons. I don't like Nigel Pearson but sacking him with two games to go is mental stuff.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 06:08

“Also hopefully keeps Mcginn in the Premier league”

I personally think McGinn will be in the Premier League irrespective of where Villa end up. There were rumours of interest from Newcastle very recently, and he’s good enough that someone will take a punt on him. I think he’s better than a Championship level player.

As for Watford, I’m like quite a few others who don’t like their seemingly ongoing strategy of rapid hire and fire. I wouldn’t miss them if they do go down - and that’s with no preference for either Villa or Bournemouth.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 09:01

McGinn would do well at someone like Everton or Spurs. He’s potentially a top six premier league player easily.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 09:04

McGinn is top end Premiership, easily. Someone will sign him.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 14:12

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks of PE teachers when they see Pearson. He reminds me of the typical 70s and 80s teachers that were only one head-butt or sadistic punishment away from being sacked (or probably just moved to another school).

I would happily see the bottom 4 go down this year. None of them are particularly nice to watch.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 14:48

Aye,some gym teachers of that era,were down right bullies. Kids got belted for no good reason.Law unto themselves.

Post Edited (Wed 22 Jul 14:49)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 15:01

Bournemouth have usually been good to watch over the years they've just been scunnered by a huge injury list this year. I'll be sad to see them go down.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 15:52

"I'll be sad to see them go down."

with a £100m wage bill, academy being scrapped, stadium plans being shelved you might be sad to see them go bust

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 15:53

Bournemouth have spent a lot of money in the EPL, a lot of the time, unwisely.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 16:47

Not only have Bournemouth been scunnered by injuries, they’ve also had unprofessional players openly admit they’ve not been playing for the team. Still got his wages though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 17:10

Yeah that was a wee bit disappointing from Fraser. I rate him and I can understand the disappointment of a deal with Arsenal falling through but it should have responded a bit better than he did.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 18:43

I read somewhere that there is questions over his character. I think he’s extremely introverted and doesn’t mix with others. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Doesn’t really do him any favours in the changing room though I don’t think. A player might get away with that if they are some kind of genius. Fraser is a good player on his day but when is his day?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 19:38

Maybe he looked at how Virgil van Dyk behaved at Southampton and thought that was the way to get a move to a big club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 21:20

You guys who talking about sadistic PE teachers how about this. When I was in 2nd or 3rd year we were told to run around the gym. After about 10 min one lad was struggling to keep up with the pack. The teacher started to shout at him to catch up. He was clearly struggling and collapsed, we told to stop. We heard a rattle coming from the boy and were told to go into the changing rooms. After about 5 minutes and said that xxxxx wasn't going to be with us, one the class said is he going to hospital? At that the teacher merely said "no he's dead".
To sum up, there no enquiry, it did appear in the newspapers but none of us were asked any questions. The teacher did not lose his job. Indeed a few years later he got promoted.
If this incident happened now, one wonders what would have happened. As I was friendly with the boy the death still haunts me and that was over 50 years ago.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 22:20

Eastendalloapar, what a tragic situation. Sounds like there should have been a full investigation
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 Jul 23:07

Red star par, there should have been but things are different now. Of course I don't know what was said to the teacher by the head teacher. What the papers found out was that the pipil had a heart defect that we didn't know about but apparently the teacher did.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 07:58

That is just awful, eastendalloapar. What a dreadful thing to happen. And for you to witness it...

That era produced a fair number of unhinged teachers. We all remember them. There were far fewer controls and check mechanisms than today, and people were certainly not encouraged to question authority.

It was the day of the strap and some teachers employed it with sadistic abandon.

There were a good number of kids who were guaranteed to get "six of the best" pretty much every day of their school lives. Goodness knows what long-term effects they encountered as a result.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 08:33

Very sad and upsetting eastendalloapar..... I remember our gym teacher used to put a towel over your wrist so he would not cut the veins with the strap he would leap about a foot into the air so he could hit you with the maximum force he could muster ... it bloody hurt as well
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 12:04

This guy had a reputation for breaking wrists, I do not know if this was a myth. What I do know was he lined up every boy at Summer term games. During this time we were supposed to wear white sandshoes. He went up the line checking that they were white enough. He belted anyone who did not have white enough ones. To be fair this procedure was only done once, possibly parents had complained.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 12:26

A complaint? PE teacher would be getting his eyes poked out if he was belting my bairn. I’m surprised a faither never clobbered him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 12:36

Quote:

General Zod, Thu 23 Jul 12:26

A complaint? PE teacher would be getting his eyes poked out if he was belting my bairn. I’m surprised a faither never clobbered him.

In those days the father would back up the teacher and belt the child as well when home.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 13:13

AAPS 100% true. I remember getting the belt in 1st year. It was at the end of the school day and my hand was still red when I got on the bus. I was terrified that my parents would see it, as I knew that I would get punished by them.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net