DAFC.net
Home 12 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Wishful Thinking?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 11:33

I'm predicting that the coming season will be dominated by ''Rangers minded'' pundits and punters, desperately hoping to see Celtic failing to secure ''10 in a row'' and here's Neil McCann to kick off the campaign:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53539952

I can't say I'd be even mildly upset if Celtic didn't canter to yet another Premiership title - not even their own fans can reasonably argue that it's good for football when the same team finishes top, year in year out - but the sad reality is that Therangers are the only team who can prevent them setting a regrettable new record. Aberdeen's ambition is to finish ''best of the rest, Hibs will be happy to finish in the top 6, Dundee United will consolidate and Hearts are in the Championship. It's a long time since Kilmarnock and Motherwell won a solitary league title each.

It's arrant nonsense to suggest that Celtic's title hopes rested solely on Fraser Forster. Yes, he made a good contribution last season, but Celtic should be able to attract an adequate replacement. Therangers will be hoping they can hang on to StevieG, but he's already on the radar of a few English clubs. I don't think he'll want to go to the Championship where Bristol City are reputedly keen, but Aston Villa will almost certainly part company with Dean Smith after today's games. They should be able to get a result at West Ham and stay up but it's hardly been a satisfactory return to the Premiership for this relatively big club. Gerrard's hat will almost certainly be in the ring for that job.

His departure would make a big ask for Therangers even bigger.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Wishful Thinking?
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 11:46

Morelos away and Defoe injured. Do Rangers actually have any strikers?

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 11:59

I doubt Gerrard will be around much longer tbh.
He'll be seen as taking over Liverpool in some years but he'll be pressurised to manage a decent English club first to prove himself.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 12:00

The rangers are the only team I absolutely detest and that’s purely because of the attitude of fans, punters and staff alike. They have this manner that if they don’t win, then someone else cost them. There is no dignity to them. Heaven forbid you post something on Social Media that they don’t like - you’ll get personal messages calling you everything under the sun because of course, if you ain’t Rangers you must be Celtic since there are only 2 teams in the league. What was my offence? On the Scotland Top 50 on Facebook I dared to say Leighton was a better keeper in his prime than Goram.

I could go on forever but let’s just say I’d love it if Rangers don’t win the league, even more if someone other than Celtic and Hearts do.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 13:18

Both sets of fans are exactly the same, it's always a conspiracy or someone else's fault. Punters on tv and radio are also exactly the same, whether that's Neil McCann, or Chris Sutton. Social media is a battleground of hate with no winners. This will be the most poisonous top flight season in a generation on all media platforms.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 13:20

Despise the "Rangers or Celtic?" question. Different cheeks of the same etc.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 13:24

"The rangers are the only team I absolutely detest and that’s purely because of the attitude of fans, punters and staff alike. They have this manner that if they don’t win, then someone else cost them. There is no dignity to them. Heaven forbid you post something on Social Media that they don’t like - you’ll get personal messages calling you everything under the sun because of course, if you ain’t Rangers you must be Celtic since there are only 2 teams in the league. What was my offence? On the Scotland Top 50 on Facebook I dared to say Leighton was a better keeper in his prime than Goram.

I could go on forever but let’s just say I’d love it if Rangers don’t win the league, even more if someone other than Celtic and Hearts do."

Your post perfectly encapsulates the antipathy so many of us have towards the Ibrox club and the reasons for it. Perhaps before 2012, we were a bit jealous of that Establishment club's success, aided and abetted by more than dodgy refereeing decisions throughout history.

I too, would like to see someone stop 10 in a row - but not Therangers. I couldn't stomach all the wild celebrations from Gretna to John o' Groats, not to mention most of Norn Iron...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 13:55

Aye but to counter that you'd also have the misery inflicted on Celtic fans from John o'Groats to Gretna and most of Eire if Rangers stopped them.
It's sort of a zero sum game. I really don't care which of them win the league but if pushed to make a decision I think I'd rather see Celtic win it than Rangers.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: storminNorman  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 16:09

pundits unfortunately always show their true colours when it comes to the old firm,sometimes it's obviously about who they were brought up supporting on the other hand it comes down to having played for either a prime example is the many English,Welsh and foreign players who seem to buy into the whole Rangers Celtic rubbish and we know who they are.

its the same when fans of other clubs are in the boozer watching an old firm game and the ticket less wonders who have never set foot in either stadium ask the same old questions about who you are hoping wins as YOU must have leaning towards one of them obviously.well they look all confused when they get the answer "i don't give a f@@@ who wins i'am a Pars fan"yep that confuses them.
if celtic win ten in a row so what if rangers stop them so what but i suppose i aint paid to give my unbiased (ha ha ha) opinion.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 20:12

I used to think 9 in a row parity was the best all round but now I realise if Celtic get 10 or more and there is an * involved then the misery and bickering between the 2 will provide me with no end of enjoyment which at 50 could potentially last the rest of my life.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 20:49

Slightly bigger asterisk required for this incarnation of Rangers claiming they won 9 titles in a row.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 22:04

To be honest I could not give a Donald Duck who wins, both are hideous establishments
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Mon 27 Jul 11:36

Hate them both, but Rangers are far worse than Celtic in every department.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 27 Jul 14:29

There are 3 options here.

1. Celtic win 10 in a row.
2. Rangers win the title.
3. A team other than Rangers or Celtic wins the title.

3 is, by far, the most preferable. 1 is more preferable than 2.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Jul 14:59

Quote:

Bandy, Mon 27 Jul 14:29

There are 3 options here.

1. Celtic win 10 in a row.
2. Rangers win the title.
3. A team other than Rangers or Celtic wins the title.

3 is, by far, the most preferable. 1 is more preferable than 2.

For option 3, refer to the thread title, Bandy.

Not a snowball's... ☹

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Mon 27 Jul 15:14

Option 4 both the ugly sisters are found to be bigoted establishments and are shut down there by awarding St Mirren the title and Tony Fitzpatrick is Knighted and bestowed sainthood ,at the same time .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 27 Jul 16:44

I mean all it would take is the SFA (or whichever the most appropriate governing body is) to introduce 'strict liability' (and implement it properly) after which both sides of the Old Firm will be on negative points.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Jul 17:29

Quote:

Bandy, Mon 27 Jul 16:44

I mean all it would take is the SFA (or whichever the most appropriate governing body is) to introduce 'strict liability' (and implement it properly) after which both sides of the Old Firm will be on negative points.

Maybe that's precisely why strict liability will never be introduced here, Bandy. Those running these clubs are not daft and will be well aware that it would almost certainly disadvantage them. It would be akin to shooting themselves in both kneecaps.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Mon 27 Jul 17:37

It is not just the 2 Glasgow teams that voted against strict liability. Those in glass houses and all that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 18:41

A former colleague and I became good friends and have remained so for over 30 years. He's a good guy and someone you can absolutely depend upon but he's also a Sellick fan, having been born and brought up in the West. I suppose no one's perfect......

He's never on dotnet and he doesn't know about this thread I started, but he had a wee rant yesterday, which I've included below because it fits in with my OP.

''Hamilton can be very pleased with thems.....Oh, Celtic have scored.

Just listening to BBC Scotland reporting on the Celtic game. According to the headline on the radio, they’re playing Ross County!

French Eddy scores three: commentary from Rob McLean, and I kid you not:’Celtic fans will be worried that he’s showing his class so early in the season. There will be plenty of suitors...’

There’s an obvious series of dangerous tackles on Celtic players, for example Frimpong and McGregor. It doesn’t feature in the commentary. The reaction of the Celtic players indicates that they are concerned about this trend.

Stop The Ten is in full flow.''

I replied to say that he's just another paranoid Tim. He wrote back, ''Just cos I'm paranoid, disnae mean they're no' oot tae get me.'' :-)

Eta. Tom English is definitely at it, too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53632151

Post Edited (Mon 03 Aug 18:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 19:08

I would prefer a Rangers win - mainly because this Celtic team couldn’t lace the boots of Jock Stein’s side but would by some be acclaimed as greater. This run includes the ‘invincibles’ season when Celtic lost to Lincoln Red Imps and 7-0 in Barcelona - how can that be defined as Invincible. Celtic though are virtual certainties and no third party has a hope of overcoming the Old Firm.

Strict Liability is voted down by clubs as it is seen as draconian - folks think it will only impact on Okd Firm but clubs like Dunfermline would get hammered for random incidents and it’s wide open to mischief makers to cause problems for clubs other than their own and general whataboutery
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimMcDAFC  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 22:51

Wouldn't it be great if this scenario was possible . The last game of the season and say Hibs or Aberdeen needed to beat Rangers to win the title from Celtic and if they did so would Rangers be accused of lying down to let them win. Press would enjoy that along with Celtic and their fans. Oh I do have some wicked thoughts.! Of course Rangers would have to be out of it by then.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 08:43

Good tune by China Crisis

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 09:45

"Wouldn't it be great if this scenario was possible . The last game of the season and say Hibs or Aberdeen needed to beat Rangers to win the title from Celtic"

While Rangers needed to win to avoid relegation........
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 10:17

"Wouldn't it be great if this scenario was possible . The last game of the season and say Hibs or Aberdeen needed to beat Rangers to win the title from Celtic"

They would be putting the ball inn their own net...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 11:08

How pleasant it is just to ignore it all, keep all that green/white and blue/orange nonsense in the background and just luxuriate in the black/white fortunes of team we call the Pars and their exploits against the mighty Ayr and Arbroath and if we hunger for greater exploits the English Premiership or even Championship can fill the void. Our Scottish Premier league is a bore, thank goodness for our Championship.

But I still enjoy Therangers and Celtic in European competition because for them that is the acid test.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 11:23

I try to ignore it too, Paralex, but it's tough. Even on a forum like this someone will start a thread about the OF and we're into it again. They are often the most-visited and most-commented on topics on the board. Some people seem to be obsessed by them.

Yes, I am aware of the irony of making this contribution but I'll now retire gracefully from the discussion.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 11:42

One thing which irritates me no end in England is to be chatting away in a bar over lunch in eg London ,Kent ,Hampshire or Yorkshire.

Before long, folk hear my dialect and the inevitable question is asked.

"Which ONE sic do you support"?

Friends, who work at SKY,say they are asked that frequently by English customers eg phoning up to upgrade to SKY Sports.

I have even been asked in a Gosport pub, wearing my Pompey scarf, for heaven sake!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 11:56

''Wouldn't it be great if this scenario was possible . The last game of the season and say Hibs or Aberdeen needed to beat Rangers to win the title from Celtic and if they did so would Rangers be accused of lying down to let them win. Press would enjoy that along with Celtic and their fans.''

Something similar did happen once. Last weekend of the season. Rangers needed only a draw at home to Aberdeen to clinch the title. They lost 3-2 but were still crowned champions because Hearts contrived to lose at Tynecastle to.... Celtic!

That was over 60 years ago now and sadly, I can't see any club outwith Ibrox or Parkhead winning the title in my lifetime and probably well beyond. Both clubs have far greater resources and as if that wasn't enough, they appear to get most of the poorer refereeing decisions in their favour, when playing the smaller clubs.

Anyone care to comment on Tom English's article, linked above?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net